Shiira 1.1 Intel binary

ptaylor

31 posts in this topic

Tried to get a Universal binary to complie for this, but couldn't... I did manage to get a Intel binary compiled though, so here it is... 

Shiira is a web browser based on the same core as Safari.  It has lots of additional features (though I have only started using it myself, so I can't say too much)..  It has been reported that Flash will work in Shiira...

Paul

So far, I haven't been able to get Flash working on this x86 build of Shiira... If anyone has any experience to the contrary, please post how here.. (Include as much info as possible - If you didn't do anything special but download and install the flash player, post the link to the one you installed...)

Paul

So far, I haven't been able to get Flash working on this x86 build of Shiira... If anyone has any experience to the contrary, please post how here.. (Include as much info as possible - If you didn't do anything special but download and install the flash player, post the link to the one you installed...)

Paul

Ok, with a bit more testing I've discovered that plug-ins (and hence, flash) do not appear to work on the Intel build of Shiira.. They do work on the PPC build with Rosetta, but it's significantly slower (to me at least)...

One good thing with Intel Shiira, though... On pages with flash ads, it doesn't pop up asking you if you want to download the plug-in, like the Intel Safari build does...

Paul

the binary you released is useless to others. You did not turn OFF zerolink. Please correct this. Check your linking(or just static link) and strip debugging symbols. Thanks

I'm very sorry - I'm new to Xcode and Mac programming in general.. Was just trying to help out and get more Intel stuff out there...

I could not get Shiira to build with the Deployment Configuration, only Development... I didn't know if it would actually cause issues though... Now I know!

In the Development project settings, ZeroLink is unchecked now and Library Style was already Static... I unchecked Generate Debug Symbols also.

Of course, now that I've made those two changes, I'm getting the same errors as when I tried building using the Deployment settings...

/usr/bin/ld: warning /Users/taige/Shiira/source/growl/Frameworks/Growl.framework/Growl cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)

/usr/bin/ld: warning /Users/taige/Shiira/source/growl/Frameworks/Growl-WithInstaller.framework/Growl-WithInstaller cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)

/usr/bin/ld: warning /Users/taige/Shiira/source/growl/Frameworks/Growl.framework/Growl cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)

/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:

.objc_class_name_GrowlApplicationBridge

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Build failed for target "Shiira" (1 error, 5 warnings)

So, it looks like Growl has some sort of issue on x86?

Perhaps I have spotted the problem... An error just above the others I posted:

/usr/bin/ld: warning -F: directory name (/Users/mkino/shiira1.0/Shiira/source/growl/Frameworks) does not exist

That directory does not exist on my machine... Not sure where that is in the settings, but if I can find it, I can point it to the appropriate directory on my machine.

Ok, I found that in the settings and changed it to the appropriate directory on my system...

Didn't help...

I then downloaded the latest growl framework and popped into that into place, but no dice..

Still no Joy, but I am down to one warning:

/usr/bin/ld: warning /Users/taige/shiira1.1/Shiira/source/growl/Frameworks/Growl.framework/Growl cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified -arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)

Well, since it looks like the problem is that the Growl framework isn't Intel aware, I downloaded it and attempted to compile it as a Universal... I've been trying to get it going for about an hour without success... It looks like you need subversion installed too, which I don't have... Anyone with it care to try? Feel like I've spent too much time today on this already.... (Though I am learning)

I think I'm going to give up now.. The main reason I tried to compile Shiira to start with was because someone said that Flash worked with it... And it doesn't unless you're using the PPC build...

Paul

Are you going to post the file? I also noticed someone already ported the GROWL framework...

Please allow at least two minutes after my mesage saying that I'm going to post the file before responding to ask me to hurry up and post the file..... :)

I installed subversion and downloaded the very latest Growl framework and it was ported... I still had a bit of trouble compiling, but got it working finally. After that, I copied the growl framework over to the Shiira directory, and it simply compiled without errors...

I've tested on my Mac mini, and it works fine there... Of course, it worked on my Intel box too, but so did my original one that was broken for everyone else.

Paul

Hah...didn't realize it was just 2 minutes after you had posted. I am sure the community is grateful for your work.

Well, I didn't clearly state in my reply that I was putting it in the main post, but I figured that would be the best thing to do to avoid confusion...

I hope someone gets some use out of it... I spent most of the afternoon working on it.. It is a pretty nice browser... But I am seeing some things that I like better about Safari than Shiira at the moment.. Very minor UI related things mostly, as it relates to the tabs...

On the plus side, I really do like the way it handles downloads and the Tab Exposé feature...

Paul

shiira has a transititon effect, in the preferances i have it checked but its not working? does it have something to do with core graphics, or do you need to enable something else. Btw i have not tried out the x86 camino build yet but this browser is so far the best one ive tried

Thanks for the x86 build

shiira has a transititon effect, in the preferances i have it checked but its not working? does it have something to do with core graphics, or do you need to enable something else. Btw i have not tried out the x86 camino build yet but this browser is so far the best one ive tried

Thanks for the x86 build

The page transition depends on CoreImage, that depends on CoreGraphics. I also liked shiira, but it lacks rss suport :(

• 1 month later...