Ok im pissed, Sapphire 4850 1gb (dvi+hdmi+vga)...

KingpinZero

35 posts in this topic

Okay,

third thread i bring up, i hope i have more luck.

Tried everything, every combination possible to get this working, all i get is black screen or light blue screen using dongles and adapter and such.

Im thinking that i need to edit some kexts in order to get my card to work, like add dev-id and stuff, but theres not a decent guide or how to.

If someone have this card and managed to get this {censored} working, let me know...

...otherwise i have a few options, like ordering a GeForce.

Im planning to get an ASUS GeForce GTX260. Will this work?

Or can i use a standard FX5200 PCI SLOT (not PCI-e) to work under MacOsx?

GIMME AN HAND PLEASE this is driving me mad!

Well, i think noone got his Sapphire card working..

And if some ppl say it, that their cards are working, they never reply on any question!

So, i think it would be better, when you use an alternative card. I have also the Sapphire 4850 and i think this card will not work. Or some developer has the same card...

Also the forum is very lazy and if ppl have a running system they never visit again...

But try this here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...173684&st=0 as the card has the same layout as the sapphire!

well, i guess you have to find out your device property..

here´s a short howto http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=170414

which was the basis for the link posted above..

previously i had a sapphire 3870 ultimate which worked oob with latest aty_init.kext (visit netkas.org), the gigabyte 4850 now works with a device property string in com.boot.apple.plist in /extra with full qe/ci..

by the way, did you pay a visit at netkas´ irc channel? perhaps you have to install a patched framebuffer to get your card working.

but do a search and read,read,read. thats the only thing that will help to understand things in the end. and yes you´re right insanelymac has had some better times concerning support. but does this change a thing for you? i think not.

so, ladz, stop complaining and keep up trying :D

@rramon:

Ok man, i get what you mean. Im not complaining about slow replies and such because everyone have a life and a good amount of people doesnt even care a bit about other's problems, wich is fine for me.

Back on topic:

If you talk about EFI Strings, ive already did everything needed. I built a custom efi string with osx86tools, with gfxutil too using hex method. The far i can get is to have the card recognized by the system, but no resolution change, no QE/CI. Neither switchresx works lol.

Patched framebuffers? The one available in Netkas irc channel? Already tried them. Both 48x0 and 3870x2 AND exotic cards (since mine got DVI-HDMI-VGA, i gave it a shot).

Installing them results into Black Screen/Out of Sync. Tried with a vga->dvi donge, them hdmi->dvi dongle, but its a no go.

If i install aty_init basically nothing happens, instead, my card proprieties doesnt appear right (256mb, i got 1024mb), same happens with evoenabler and Universal Injector published by netkas.

The point is:

- Beside ATY, Natit and EFI, DO I NEED forcibly to install radeon drivers, or this method is supposed to enable the card WITHOUT the drivers pain?

- Its really a card/brand problem? Because if its that so, we can forget having a sapphire. I thought that notorius brands are always the best, but maybe im wrong. On pc its like this, sapphire usually dominates every other reference card out there.

So, the tests i made are described above. Ill stop to netkas channel to seek some advice but i doubt it. If anyone have HALF idea on how we can sort this out, if possible, it would be great.

Bye for now and thanks!

Oh my setup btw:

iDeneb 1.5.8 Lite (straight install, no upgrade from 10.5.7, no delta)

Sapphire Radeon HD4850 GDDR3 1024MB (DVI-HDMI-VGA [from nearest to mobo to the opposite])

4GB Ram DDR2 800MHZ Corsair

Intel Core 2 Duo Quad Q8200

Asus P5PKL-A/M with onboard Intel G3000 disbled

Vanilla Kernel 10.5.8

Samsung SyncMaster 2032mw tv-lcd

thats it...

I think I have the same card: Sapphire HD 4850 Dual Slot, DVI, HDMI and VGA, 1GB GDDR3 (on a G31M-ES2L)

I have installed EVOEnabler and modified ATI4800Controller, no EFI String. After rebooting I got a "Signal out of range" error on my Display.

To be able to see something and to play around with resolutions and Hz I activated ScreenSharing (with a second machine) and installed Switch Res.

Somehow the Refresh Rate selected in Displays differs from the rate my TFT (NEC 2060NX) shows in the menu. For example, when I select in Displays "1280x1024, 85Hz, I get 56 Hz on my display. This is the highest resolution I am able to get via DVI. With 1600x1200 selected I get a distorted image and my display tells me: 800x1200.

For perfect quality only with VGA I select 1600x1200 at 89 Hz, that gives me 59 Hz on TFT. Fortunately the quality of the VGA port ist very good, but I would prefer DVI. I was not able to connect a second display.

I will try to get some other results

Richard

I think I have the same card: Sapphire HD 4850 Dual Slot, DVI, HDMI and VGA, 1GB GDDR3 (on a G31M-ES2L)

I have installed EVOEnabler and modified ATI4800Controller, no EFI String. After rebooting I got a "Signal out of range" error on my Display.

To be able to see something and to play around with resolutions and Hz I activated ScreenSharing (with a second machine) and installed Switch Res.

Somehow the Refresh Rate selected in Displays differs from the rate my TFT (NEC 2060NX) shows in the menu. For example, when I select in Displays "1280x1024, 85Hz, I get 56 Hz on my display. This is the highest resolution I am able to get via DVI. With 1600x1200 selected I get a distorted image and my display tells me: 800x1200.

For perfect quality only with VGA I select 1600x1200 at 89 Hz, that gives me 59 Hz on TFT. Fortunately the quality of the VGA port ist very good, but I would prefer DVI. I was not able to connect a second display.

I will try to get some other results

Richard

Well,

we know already that via DVI theres no support for 16:9 resolutions, only 4:3. That would explain why u get only good 16:9 resolutions over VGA.

Lets go step by step.

You said u used another machine, care to explain? How you managed to use screen sharing with the other machine, via another vga card and two pci-e slots?

Are you using dongles, or just the default VGA port of the card?

If what u said is true, maybe we got the problem here. The out of sync screen can be triggered by an erroneus hz reporting from the driver to the monitor; if we set using a string a resolution like 100hz, you should get a good refresh rate.

85hz via dvi, you got 56. If we try with the same res, a setting like 94 hz, we should get closer to 60hz. Even 100hz should provide a good setup.

Second, whats the serial of your card, the model number? Mine is: PN 288-be104-101sa , SKU# 11132-34-20r.

What you modified in ATI4800Controller? Where the hell is located?

Have you installed any drivers beside Evoenabler.kext?

I assume youre using Leopard?

I know im flooding you with questions but PLEASE youre the only one who seems to have my same vga that got it working at least....

...if you can please post your ATI4800Controller and files you used, maybe a step by step guide.

If the refresh rate is really the culprit here, maybe we can get netkas to look for a solution!

HUGE THANKS!

My TFT is 4:3 (1600x1200), and I only get 4:3 resolutions to choose in Displays, same VGA and DVI, so no problem here.

I've connected the os86 machine via ethernet to my PowerBook, you could use any machine (mac or pc) and control with a VNC client (remote control software). this is only necessary if you have no signal on your monitor. You have to activate ScreenSharing in System Preferences (Sharing). if you have a mac, open "System/Library/CoreServices and Screen-Sharing and fill IP of the os86. they have to be in a working network)

I dont use any dongle (they dont seem to have any effect on my card).

my Serial numbers: pn: 288-1e104-291sa, sku# 11132-34-20r

the strange thing ist that DVI works till 1280x1024, then the image gets bad (i still can read text), + this Hz issue. anyway, the VGA signal looks very good, QE/CI, no sleep.

I am on SL, the ATI4800Controller is in /System/Library/Extension. copy to desktop and left-click on it, select "show package", open Contents: Info.plist

see here (post #20):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181405

after modifing install ATI4800 and EVOenabler with kexthelper (http://cheetha.net/)

if you are on 10.5.7/8:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;mode=threaded

try starting with DVI. if you get a "out of signal range" or simmilar on you monitor, then you have to play around with resolutions. install switchresx. if you dont have a second machine for remote control you can try to select it "blind" via keyboard (can be very frustrating: command-shift-A (opens Application), type "SYS" fast, select System preferences, type "command-O", opens it, type "DISPLAYS", then press "enter". then press TAB, and you can select resolutions with arrow keys. You have to rehearsal on a working machine before ;-)

Okay,

first thank you for the huge informations you provided, you're awesome!

So in the end i got that the problem is related to 4:3 and HZ using DVI.

Unfortunately i dont have other macs around, just alot of pcs using windows.

A question: u did all of this directly from third port (vga) or you started with DVI then switched to vga after turning the pc off?

1) Im about to install SL with a distro like SnowOSX, hope it works.... i wonder if i can do such operations under Safe Mode instead of using remote control because im kinda confused on manual commands.

2) I assume that safe mode loads vesa drivers instead of the installed ones, so if i boot in safe mode i should get my standard display working?

Isnt there a command to force VESA mode, like you set Graphic Mode? Because if we can force vesa mode we can avoid all the stuff about blind commanding and so on.

3) So the SKU# is the same as mine, we have the very same card. Im not bothered to use vga instead of dvi: for windows gaming is fine thought. I just want to get this at working and i will be happy.

4) Ive tried to install switchresx with Leo: althought i setup a custom resolution, it doesnt seem to do anything at all when i boot in osx. So my question is, im missing something, or switchres works only with drivers and not with standard vga cards?

5) i have an eeepc here running xp. If i enable sharing and fill in the ip of my osx86 hack, i can use a standard vnc client to get the remote access running?

Many thanks for the patience mate, i sense we are near to something. Have you tested some 3d games or apps, or benchmarked the card? How well does it performs? Im curious to know if ilife, photoshop and stuff works good.

I mate!

I managed to' get snowosx working and currently im able to' boot in safe mode to' play around with res.

Ive installed evo and patched the 4800driver as you said,then reinstalled it with kexthelper.

Ive not enabled screen sharing but ive installed switchresx.

Now before doing anything SR asks me to' reboot.

Do i have to' reboot before setting a custom res or not?

Please give me a walktrough,i cant understand how SR works..and no screen sharing coz no eth driver yet working...

hdmi port - > hdmi2dvi -> dvi2vga

2 dongles as port terminator worked for other

I think what netkas is saying is some people have had sucsess by terminating the HDMI port. Terminating as in blanking off!

the hdmi2dvi and dvi2vga dongles together comprise a terminator for the hdmi port - as apposed to a converter to give you vga out from the hdmi port.

I mate!

I managed to' get snowosx working and currently im able to' boot in safe mode to' play around with res.

Ive installed evo and patched the 4800driver as you said,then reinstalled it with kexthelper.

Ive not enabled screen sharing but ive installed switchresx.

Now before doing anything SR asks me to' reboot.

Do i have to' reboot before setting a custom res or not?

Please give me a walktrough,i cant understand how SR works..and no screen sharing coz no eth driver yet working...

hi

i was able to get the Sapphire to work without EVOenalber using this:

anyway, there is no change about the refresh thing.

in switchres you have to be sur to use the new (beta) version 4. in the control panel you select on the left side in the general prefernces that switchres will start automatically. then on the left side you select your display (last in the list)

you select custom resolutions, press on the + , then on top left select "custom resolution". select Use simplfied settings and give your settings. after ok you have to reboot, then you can select the resoltions

Just deleted my SL install due to my anger....jesus...

i didnt saw that method: so you're telling me that is working on my Sapphire as well?

Refreshrate its a thing that i cant fix, not on my samsung syncmaster at least. The display isnt even recognized, still unknown... :)

Anyway....i need to test that method then.....so far i only got black screens.

Did anyone solve this mystery with Sapphire ATI 48xx HD series with HDMI/DVI/VGA setup yet?

I am having the same problems as anyone in this thread.

If anyone could guide me through into right direction, so that I can boot into SL or even Leopard without hassel and flickering black screen (out of sync)

Bump.

Thanks to richard for all the headeaches, but finally ive swapped my Sapphire for an Asus GTX280 216sp.

Installed and updated leopard with ZERO problems on my setup: using the enabler and the nvidia drivers the card works like a charm.

I even played Colin McRae Rally MAC demo at full detail with no hiccups, it works like a charm.

Finally im so damn HAPPY! :)

i have the ati 4870 card with 1dvi / 1vga and 1hdmi..

using the DVI port or VGA port i can get 10.6.1 SL working fine using EVOEnabler kext.

the only problem i have is getting dual monitor support on this card...wish there was someone out there that got this working!!

• 1 month later...
hi

i was able to get the Sapphire to work without EVOenalber using this:

I was able to get mine (Sapphire 4850, DVI, HDMI, VGA, 1gig DDR3) to work using the same, method, though it only worked for me if used the first method and then installed the 10.6.1 update. I tried with EVOenabler and it's the same result so not much use trying that method. If I installed the 10.6.1 update, restarted then followed the method, my display would just be garbled black and white on restart.

It detected my samsung hdtv connected via DVI->HDMI on boot and set the right res 1080p @ 60Hz, though my display reports it's only running at 30Hz. If I change to 50Hz my display reports 25. If I change to 30Hz my display reports 60 but screen becomes jerky. I just installed SwitchResX 4.0.1 to see if it'll fix my problem.

Currently my HDMI doesn't work. If I reboot and switch cables the screen works while booting but when snow leopard boots up my screen reports no signal. I have no idea how to fix this.