[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Snow Leopard

MACinized

530 posts in this topic

I am on a GIGABYTE EP35C-DS3R.

Followed everything to the letter.

I arrive at the chameleon screen and hit Enter. At boot I get this message (-v):

Loading HFS+ file: [mach kernel] from 4232990

Loading HFS+ file: [mach kernel] from 4232990

Everything stalls. What the hell am I doing wrong :):(:):( :( :( :(

EDIT: I am doing a search for the dstd.aml my 10.5.8 distro currently has but I can't find it (although I am sure I copied it somewhere. Any ideas where to look for?)

Thanks for writing this guide.

I am not exactly a newbie, but I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

I was running retail Leopard with the EFI bootloader. I added a partition and installed Snow Leopard but then messed up my bootloader. So now I can't boot to fix the new SL installation.

Snow Leopard did boot once but then kernel panicked and has not loaded again. Leopard seems to have left the building alltogether (although I'm pretty sure it is still intact on it's own partition).

Any thoughts on how to proceed from here?

I've got it figured out. I erased the EFI partition on the installation disk and only leave fakesmc.kext in the KEXTs folder. And the installer boot up!. I got video, audio, network, AHCI/SATA all worked from the DSDT without any need for EFI string. Thanks for the great manual/tools again! Below are the kexts in my /e/e I use to boot up the system now.

AHCIPortInjector

fakesmc

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

LegacyHDA

OpenHaltRestart

post-397397-1252271999_thumb.png

Thank you for this great manual. I tried but had an AHCI issue which drove me mad. :D

My config is:

EP35-DS3L

Core Duo E7200

AHCI native mode in Bios

Currently running Leopard 10.5.7 stable

I cannot boot into the installer. Below is the KP I got everytime using -v option.

I've tried adding both AHCIPortInjector.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext without luck. I've also tried putting the LegacyAppleAHCIPort but that didn't work either.

Please help me. Thanks a lot!

post-397397-1252196167_thumb.jpg

Thanks for writing this guide.

I am not exactly a newbie, but I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

I was running retail Leopard with the EFI bootloader. I added a partition and installed Snow Leopard but then messed up my bootloader. So now I can't boot to fix the new SL installation.

Snow Leopard did boot once but then kernel panicked and has not loaded again. Leopard seems to have left the building alltogether (although I'm pretty sure it is still intact on it's own partition).

Any thoughts on how to proceed from here?

try booting w/ your boot-132-disc to boot to your leopard. when u get to your leopard, fix your EFI-bootloader to get your leopard booting again w/out the need of the boot-132-disc.

from what i understand, u created a partition to the same hdd where u have your leopard & that's where u installed snowleo. i would suggest then that u use a usb-flashdik (128MB-sized is enough or even 64MB ;) ) & set it up as the MacLoader for your snowleo.

On my MacLoader partition, am I supposed to have

/Extra/Extensions/ folder at all? I only have /Extra/ folder now with Extensions.mkexts file.

The /KEXTs/ folder where kexts are copied has kexts, but these must be saved somewhere on the MacLoader partition?

no need to have Extensions folder inside the Extra folder that's why i thrashed it already. :D MacLoader uses cache (Extensions.mkext) of all the kexts inside the KEXTs folder.

I've got it figured out. I erased the EFI partition on the installation disk and only leave fakesmc.kext in the KEXTs folder. And the installer boot up!. I got video, audio, network, AHCI/SATA all worked from the DSDT without any need for EFI string. Thanks for the great manual/tools again! Below are the kexts in my /e/e I use to boot up the system now.

AHCIPortInjector

fakesmc

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

LegacyHDA

OpenHaltRestart

post-397397-1252271999_thumb.png

good to hear that wildleaf. :)

Thanks for this great guide. By far I reckon it is the best method I ever come across.

Got it work on my netbook Lenovo S10. My S10 is now on 10.6 working around the fine tunes to get everything work properly.

But have little problem on getting a Cham loader installed on my P5Q Pro setup. It stuck on the "installer: Upgrading at base path /Volumes/SnowLeoInstaller"

Interesting same script but not working on diff machine...maybe due to the diff Kext placed on the folder or probably due to my USB Kext setting on P5Q machine . Will try to work around and report back.

Thanks for this great guide. By far I reckon it is the best method I ever come across.

Got it work on my netbook Lenovo S10. My S10 is now on 10.6 working around the fine tunes to get everything work properly.

But have little problem on getting a Cham loader installed on my P5Q Pro setup. It stuck on the "installer: Upgrading at base path /Volumes/SnowLeoInstaller"

Interesting same script but not working on diff machine...maybe due to the diff Kext placed on the folder or probably due to my USB Kext setting on P5Q machine . Will try to work around and report back.

chameleon is already installed on your SnowLeoInstaller. i believe u did so when u set it up for your netbook. all u need to do now is to create a cache (Extensions.mkext) of all your (p5q pro) kexts which u put inside the KEXTs folder then replace the one inside the /Volumes/SnowLeoInstaller/Extra. u may grab my mkextMaker (see sig) for the purpose.

Okay, now that i figured out how to run your scripts ive run into another problem...

I boot from the "SnowLeoInstaller" (flash drive) and I get to the SL installation page, select language, and when It comes time to selct install location, there are no hard drives listed. I check in disk util, and still none there.

My mobo is a Asus P5B-Deluxe... if it helps....

Okay, now that i figured out how to run your scripts ive run into another problem...

I boot from the "SnowLeoInstaller" (flash drive) and I get to the SL installation page, select language, and when It comes time to selct install location, there are no hard drives listed. I check in disk util, and still none there.

My mobo is a Asus P5B-Deluxe... if it helps....

u may check Stell's Blog for a collection of snowleo kexts.

u may check Stell's Blog for a collection of snowleo kexts.

Thanks

That didnt really help, but I thought of switching to ahci and it worked.

Now one more problem....

I need to get my graphics card going.

In leo i could just use efi studio and write tot he com.apple.boot

I tried and it did nothing here on SL

Can you tell me where Im supposed to put my graphics hex string?

Getting pretty close to perfect now on my Dell Inspiron 9400 (E1705).

Two issues:

1. Sound is buggy and makes strange noises with VoodoHDA kext.

2. Mouse is laggy when loading to desktop is done. But.... If I put laptop to sleep and wake up again, lagging is gone.

Used EFI Studio for com.apple.boot and made gfx string. Problem is that no option to add my card GeForce GO 7800. Closest choice is GO 7600. Anyone got a string for GO 7800 256mb card?

Or is there any other solution for this?

Kernel Panic

Despite the result I think I did OK with the guide. Created DSDT.aml file. Created USB drive with SL and moved over my kexts. The USB drive did boot, install SL, succeed and reboot. On reboot is when I caught the KP. I do get Chamelion on either the SL install or the USB drive. I cannot seem to get into verbose and the KP is quick and pretty generic.

I'm in Win7 now. I installed over my existing Leo install and can't get back into it. I think I went wrong somewhere with my kexts. I forgot to put in the kext for my Nvidia 7900GS. I think I was using NVKUSH... maybe it was EFI strings. Does this sound right? A kext problem?

I'll have to sort out my own kext for my hardware but could use some help on strategies and tools to fixing this. I can get into the installer still and use Terminal but can't view the EFI partition. I want to get a list of what I moved into /Extra, figure out what should/not be there, fix my graphics card and anything else.

i have "-x32 boot-uuid=[snowLeo UUID]" as strings to "Kernel Flags" of the com.apple.Boot.plist in my /Volumes/MacLoader/Extra.

Your guide is really great, thanks a lot and i can confirm boot-uuid flag is not working properly it still points to efi partition or MacLoader :angry:

Your guide is really great, thanks a lot and i can confirm boot-uuid flag is not working properly it still points to efi partition or MacLoader :D

good to hear that & yeah, i'm wondrin' why the new snowleo bootloader doesn't support the "boot-uuid" flag. :(

[ANNOUNCEMENT!]

watch out for the new MacLoader_SL i'm working on - now powered by the RC3 of Chameleon 2.

since i hear a great preference of using the EFI-partition, i'm coming up w/ the choice of setting-up the MacLoader to the EFI-partition or to any other volume/partition (perhaps a 64MB USB-flashdisk ;) ). i still like to setup MacLoader to this "other volume/partition" as a backup.

i'm actually done with the kit. i just like to setup a brand new Snow Leopard in my computer using this new MacLoader_SL.

will report back the soonest.

Hi there

I am Needing a bit of help please.

I follow the guide perfectly into phase 2 when it is time to boot to my SnowLeoInstaller, i was having difficulties booting to usb so i used a spare internal HDD and set that as my SnowLeoInstaller. Everything up till now went fine. i was hitting a Panik but i removed NVEnabler from the kexts folder and now am getting past there.

My problem now is that when booting to the SnowLeoInstaller with the -v option it hangs on "Still waiting for root device" message.

My Destination HDD with Snow Leopard and Macloader partitions is there and configured correctly as far as i can tell.

Sorry am a bit new to this so not sure if i am doing something stupid wrong or not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

updated post#1:

new MacLoader_SL is out - powered by the rc3 of the chameleon 2. (sadly, "boot-uuid" flag is not supported :lol: )

the new MacLoader_SL provides options to use the EFI-partition and/or any volume/partition (e.g. small partition of a usb-flashdrive). it also now supports volume/partition names containing space(s).

i'd be posting snapshots of the procedure. :(

i need a little help,,, im using an external hdd and restoring my image to it on partition SnowLeoInstaller, on my main hdd internal i have OS X and i have created a partition Snow Leopard, where am i suppose to create the partition Macloader at?????? does it go on my external hdd or on the same hdd that snow Leopard will be installed on

Tested SL_0.3

Seems to be much simpler.

But the usb stick SnowLeoInstaller does not boot to the SL installer. It hangs after 10 s with a mid grey screen. Mouse is moveable. Nothing more happens.

Reinstalled SnowLeoInstaller from scratch using SL_0.1 gives a booting stick.

Again no SATA drives/volumes were shown to install SL on. Cahnding SATA mode from "enhanced" to "compatible" didn't help (Bios v 12). I theerfore disconnected the internal HD and reconnectet it using an USB/SATA converter. Than I was able to install SL from the SnowLeoInstaller stick.

Reboot trying to boot the new SL volume didn't work. Hangs on USBMSC ... see picture. Trying to use the SL volume again as SATA drive didn't work too (same picture). Tying to boot from the Chameleon RC3 equipped 10.5.8 volume through stopping the boot process an selecting the SL volume crashes. Seems not to work on an Asus P5K despite the similar chips compared to the Gigybyte mainboard.

post-227743-1252365897_thumb.jpg

I too get the gray screen then after a while (~2mins) spinning pinwheel, any way to see whats going on? Booting with -v (and tried with various combintations of -x32, -x, -arch=i386 didn't work either) doesn't show anything obvious and no kernel dumps or segfaults

set up is dell latitude d630, nvidia graphics, using external usb HD for the installer

tia

UPDATE: I had to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext AND IOATAFamily.kext to get to the gray screen I then added AHCIPortinjector and got to the install screen, after that installation worked

now just to get sound working, it worked in Leopard but not in SL using the same techinque

Now one more problem....

I need to get my graphics card going.

In leo i could just use efi studio and write tot he com.apple.boot

I tried and it did nothing here on SL

Can you tell me where Im supposed to put my graphics hex string?

I think you missed my question. Hopefully you can help me out, because im SO close to being done with this :D