[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Snow Leopard

MACinized

530 posts in this topic

;))-->

QUOTE (:) @ Sep 5 2009, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Update2,

was able to update kext (had to boot back 10.5),

Is there a way to update kext, set permission when boot in snow leopard?

I love this guide, easy and learning a lot of things just by looking at the script.

Thanks alot MACinized!

yup. an updater is already part of the MacLoader_SL kit. just manage your kexts inside the KEXTs folder (add/remove), edit/patch/update DSDT.aml that's inside the ScriptFiles folder, then execute "4_Updater".

Wow, I think using this guide was easier than all of the Vanilla retail installs I did. I think this is the most vanilla install of leopard/snow leopard I've ever done.

Right now the only problems I have are I have no audio and all my hard drives show up as a yellow square.

The smallest I could get the Mac Loader partition was 1.07gb. I guess thats not too bad since I have it on a 250gb drive so loosing a gigabyte of space wont be too bad.

Its not that huge of a problem, but I cant get my Snow Leopard OS drive to show up on the desktop. The hdd I used for the installer shows up, but Snow Leopard nor MacLoader (not too concerned about this one though).

If anyone has the ALC889a audio chipset and got sound working, how did you get it to work?

Specs:

Gigabyte EP35 DS4

Q6600

6gb ram

XFX 8800gs, 384mb

Thanks for this guide, it has been the easiest and most successful guide I have ever used to install an apple OS on my computer.

Hey MACinized,

I've been trying to get my DSDT file and I'm getting an error message and was wondering if you can help. Here what I get:

ntel ACPI Component Architecture

AML Disassembler version 20080926 [Oct 4 2008]

Copyright © 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation

Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

Loading Acpi table from file dsdt.dat

Acpi table [DSDT] successfully installed and loaded

Pass 1 parse of [DSDT]

Pass 2 parse of [DSDT]

Parsing Deferred Opcodes (Methods/Buffers/Packages/Regions)

................................................................................

.................................................................................

.................................................................................

Parsing completed

Disassembly completed, written to "dsdt.dsl"

No application knows how to open /Users/xxxxx/Desktop/MacLoader_SL/1_DSDT_Patcher/Tools/dsdt-fixed.dsl.

logout

[Process completed]

I can't open the file and edit it.

Thanks,

Chevy

Total success. Thank you very much, MACinized.

Notebook MSI VR201, Intel Core 2 Duo

I added:

-VoodooBattery.kext

-VoodooPower.kext

-VoodoHDA.kext

I removed:

-NVEnabler.kext

Everything is running out of the box, only integrated touchpad and keyboard not. This was same at Leopard 10.5. For installation I have used an USB mouse and USB Keyboard.

After first boot I have installed:

-VoodooPS2Controller-0.98-installer.pkg to get integrated touchpad and keyboard running

-EFI String for Ethernet fix to get timemachine running, used the UInstaller from PCWiz

Thanks again,

caiowa

Edit:

PS: I used a patched BIOS from http://www.osxcores.site50.net to patch DSDT

Total success. Thank you very much, MACinized.

Notebook MSI VR201, Intel Core 2 Duo

I added:

-VoodooBattery.kext

-VoodooPower.kext

-VoodoHDA.kext

I removed:

-NVEnabler.kext

Everything is running out of the box, only integrated touchpad and keyboard not. This was same at Leopard 10.5. For installation I have used an USB mouse and USB Keyboard.

After first boot I have installed:

-VoodooPS2Controller-0.98-installer.pkg to get integrated touchpad and keyboard running

-EFI String for Ethernet fix to get timemachine running, used the UInstaller from PCWiz

Thanks again,

caiowa

Edit:

PS: I used a patched BIOS from http://www.osxcores.site50.net to patch DSDT

good to hear that caiowa & good thing u shared your setup w/c may help other users who have the same computer as yours.

Hey MACinized,

I've been trying to get my DSDT file and I'm getting an error message and was wondering if you can help. Here what I get:

ntel ACPI Component Architecture

AML Disassembler version 20080926 [Oct 4 2008]

Copyright © 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation

Loading Acpi table from file dsdt.dat

Acpi table [DSDT] successfully installed and loaded

Pass 1 parse of [DSDT]

Pass 2 parse of [DSDT]

Parsing Deferred Opcodes (Methods/Buffers/Packages/Regions)

................................................................................

Parsing completed

Disassembly completed, written to "dsdt.dsl"

No application knows how to open /Users/xxxxx/Desktop/MacLoader_SL/1_DSDT_Patcher/Tools/dsdt-fixed.dsl.

logout

[Process completed]

I can't open the file and edit it.

Thanks,

Chevy

u can open it w/ TextEdit.app w/c is in /Applications.

Wow, I think using this guide was easier than all of the Vanilla retail installs I did. I think this is the most vanilla install of leopard/snow leopard I've ever done.

Right now the only problems I have are I have no audio and all my hard drives show up as a yellow square.

The smallest I could get the Mac Loader partition was 1.07gb. I guess thats not too bad since I have it on a 250gb drive so loosing a gigabyte of space wont be too bad.

Its not that huge of a problem, but I cant get my Snow Leopard OS drive to show up on the desktop. The hdd I used for the installer shows up, but Snow Leopard nor MacLoader (not too concerned about this one though).

If anyone has the ALC889a audio chipset and got sound working, how did you get it to work?

Specs:

Gigabyte EP35 DS4

Q6600

6gb ram

XFX 8800gs, 384mb

Thanks for this guide, it has been the easiest and most successful guide I have ever used to install an apple OS on my computer.

u may visit Stell's Blog for a collection of snowleo kexts.

Managed to get in to desktop. Have a GeForce 7800 Go gfx card and the mouse pointer stutters when moving around on the desktop.

I've read every possible tutorial on the net to install Snow Leopard and this one is by far the best so far. I would like to send special thanks to the developer of this method.

I have one major problem though and can't seem to figure out what to do. I'm able to boot from the USB installer without any KP's but my monitor goes into standby as soon as the USB installer starts booting

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

I have a Geforce 7800 GTX from a Dell XPS 600 BTW

I've read every possible tutorial on the net to install Snow Leopard and this one is by far the best so far. I would like to send special thanks to the developer of this method.

I have one major problem though and can't seem to figure out what to do. I'm able to boot from the USB installer without any KP's but my monitor goes into standby as soon as the USB installer starts booting

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

I have a Geforce 7800 GTX from a Dell XPS 600 BTW

restart from top. try removing NVEnabler.kext from the KEXTs folder.

[uPDATE]

there seems to be a number of users having issues w/ their graphics. updated MacLoader_SL kit (i.e. removed NVEnabler.kext). either u don't need any graphics-related kext or may just add your tested-working-kext or efi-string.

anyone interested to try NVEnabler, click here.

Is there a way to add kexts to the system without using Update script and not touching original SL kexts? Is there a hidden place where the kexts are stored that can be shown to add kexts?

MacLoader uses kext cache. it is located in the Extra folder of the MacLoader volume/partition. 4_Updater just makes a cache of all kexts that are inside the KEXTs folder. so all u need to do is manage the kexts inside the KEXTs folder (add/remove). 4_Updater is not putting any extra kext in the system. that's the whole point of my goal of having a "totally vanilla" snowleo. ;) 4_Updater updates the MacLoader volume/partition & NOT the "Snow Leopard" partition.

anyway, u may also grab my mkextMaker (see sig) & then u can just replace the Extensions.mkext that's inside the Extra folder of MacLoader w/ the Extensions.mkext created by the mkextMaker. just remember that this can already be automated by 4_Updater. ;)

;))-->

QUOTE (;) @ Sep 5 2009, 03:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you run the same code twice on same HD? did you exit terminal after every .sh (just to be safe)

cause i had 0 problem with this guide though just the last update part.

I did fail the first time i follow this guide as i had no idea what to put in the

"Where do you want to setup the bootloader?"

part and had

chmod: /Volumes/MacLoader/Extra/Extensions.mkext: Not a directory
chown: /Volumes/MacLoader/Extra/Extensions.mkext: Not a directory

error

My solution was to redo everything again and it worked.

I tried it multiple and in different ways. As I said: when I use Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640 manual then the neccessary folders appear. But not when using the script. The MacLoader partition is deleted then an blank.

u can remove the NVEnabler.kext inside the KEXTs folder of the MacLoader_SL kit. efi-strings can be added to the com.apple.Boot.plist that can be found inside the Extra folder of both the SnowLeoInstaller and MacLoader volume/partitions.

i don't know how it happens in your case but that blank screen w/ only blinking underscore means no bootloader is found.

if u were following this guide & u were already successful in installing snowleo, try rebooting w/ your SnowLeoInstaller. at timeout, interrupt boot then select the Snow Leopard partition (or wherever u installed snowleo) and press [ENTER]. regarding the usb-fix, i believe there's also a guide to patch dsdt provided by ApexDE.

I did manage to install, there where no problems there at all. I then rebooted With SnowLeoInstaller and interupted the boot and selected the main HD where I had putted my snow Leo on ( First boot disk Disk 0 that is). It is when Snow Leo was then starting to startup that it hangs with all the errors.

:))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (:P @ Sep 5 2009, 03:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you run the same code twice on same HD? did you exit terminal after every .sh (just to be safe)

cause i had 0 problem with this guide though just the last update part.

I did fail the first time i follow this guide as i had no idea what to put in the

"Where do you want to setup the bootloader?"

part and had

chmod: /Volumes/MacLoader/Extra/Extensions.mkext: Not a directory
chown: /Volumes/MacLoader/Extra/Extensions.mkext: Not a directory

error

My solution was to redo everything again and it worked.

I tried it multiple and in different ways. As I said: when I use Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640 manual then the neccessary folders appear. But not when using the script. The MacLoader partition is deleted then an blank.

i already made a reply for u on post#72.

chameleon was being installed in your system-volume (i.e. Snow Leopard). check if your "Snow Leopard" partition already has the "Extra" folder.

It has no Extra folder.

before u run "3_MacLoader", make sure to remove/unmount any other drives named "MacLoader". if u also have a folder named "MacLoader", rename it first.

There is no folder with this name and this time I renamed the "MacLoader" partition to "Loader" before starting "3_MacLoader". I even changed the system volume "Snow Leopard" to "Leo". Result was: both volumes disappear for a shot time, Loader was deleted and renamed as "Macloader" but is still empty an even Leo has noch Extras folder on it.

i'd recommend u restart w/ partitioning your target disk but u have to make sure no other volume/partition/folder is already named "MacLoader".

This time there was no "MacLoader"

or u may also try erasing/renaming your "MacLoader" partition (aka "MacLoader 1") to anything, say Booter then edit the line 43 of macloader.sh inside the ScriptFiles folder to wit:

diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "SnowLeoBooter" /dev/disk${DISKNUMBER}s$PARTITIONNUMBER > /dev/null

change "MacLoader" to "SnowLeoBooter" or any other name you like but give it a name w/out any [space].

I have to change the Line "MACLOADER=/Volumes/MacLoader"

and I have to use a absolutely new name.

My error was to name it MacLoader during partitioning of the drive.

Now the script runs ;-)

Now I have to restart and see..

It has no Extra folder.

There is no folder with this name and this time I renamed the "MacLoader" partition to "Loader" before starting "3_MacLoader". I even changed the system volume "Snow Leopard" to "Leo". Result was: both volumes disappear for a shot time, Loader was deleted and renamed as "Macloader" but is still empty an even Leo has noch Extras folder on it.

This time there was no "MacLoader"

I have to change the Line "MACLOADER=/Volumes/MacLoader"

and I have to use a absolutely new name.

My error was to name it MacLoader during partitioning of the drive.

Now the script runs ;-)

Now I have to restart and see..

good luck. :)

Specs:

Gigabyte EP35 DS4

Q6600

6gb ram

XFX 8800gs, 384mb

mine ep35-ds4 works using voodooHDA.kext

Hey all,

I having some issues installing Snow Leo. So I've built the SnowLeoInstaller on a 8gb USB drive and copied over my kexts files and efi strings for graphics to com.apple.plist. I don't have any errors upon compiling my usb installer. So everything looks good to go.

After rebooting and choosing SnowLeoInstaller, the usb drive starts booting. It gets to a point where the SnowLeo install screen starts to come up, so it goes from blue to grey and then sits on the grey screen with the mouse pointer in the top left side on the screen. It doesn't go any further than that. Does anyone know what's up with that? Have I missed a step?

Thanks,

Chevy

Your wishes did not help.

I will stop experiments now. They take to much time an I have not enough knowledge about this stuff.

It will not boot, when I select the Snow Leopard volume I get a permanent spinning wheels (out of black lines) thts all.

But one question: Do you have an idea why booting with the SL usb drive (SL installer) there are no SATA drives shown?

Okay I am having some serious problems now ;)(

I keep getting kp's on startup: pmap_remove range empty hash...

Plus it keeps resetting my bios which means I have to set it to AHCI every time before I start.

Please help!!! I can't boot up with -v -f -x -s either.

I can boot into the SL disc partition I have so am going to restore my macloader partition to the leopard version so I can boot into leopard again. :(

Thank you for this great manual. I tried but had an AHCI issue which drove me mad. ;)

My config is:

EP35-DS3L

Core Duo E7200

AHCI native mode in Bios

Currently running Leopard 10.5.7 stable

I cannot boot into the installer. Below is the KP I got everytime using -v option.

I've tried adding both AHCIPortInjector.kext and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext without luck. I've also tried putting the LegacyAppleAHCIPort but that didn't work either.

Please help me. Thanks a lot!

post-397397-1252196167_thumb.jpg

I found a properly compiled dsdt.aml for the 1000he, but this just reduces the time it takes to get to the error :( . Still on "launch_msg(): Socket is not connected".

If it helps, here's a quote from a "bug" line:

"Bug: launchctl.c:3557 (23930):17: ioctl(s6, SIOCAIFADDR_IN6, &ifra6) !=-1"

And then it goes to create RAM disks, but fails with return error 0x6b.

I read somewhere that editing the contents of IntelPIXATTA.kext fixes many hard drive related issues, which it seems like this is. Any confirmation behind that? Also, I'm not sure if the 1000he uses IDE emulation or AHCI for data transfer to the hard drive. I'm assuming it's IDE, since there's an "IDE Configuration" option in the BIOS.

Im having problems using your script for SnowLeoInstaller........

"Where do you want to setup the SnowLeoInstaller? => /Volumes/SnowLeoInstaller

ERROR!! /Volumes/SnowLeoInstaller cannot be found!

"

Its right there, I can see it, its mounted and visible on my desktop... can you tell me how I can get this to work?

I might have some interesting news but need to find out why I'm getting this error.

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService( resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

My installed kexts are as follows...

UUID.kext

Sleepenabler.kext

PCGenUli526xEthernet.kext

NVinject.kext

kXAudioDriver.kext

JMicronATAInjector.kext

fakesmc.kext

Disabler.kext

AppleRTC.kext

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

I've managed to boot into SL earlier today and all seemed fine except it would halt and ask to restart after a few minutes once booted into SL

I used this guide and changed a few things by installing all the necessary files manually into the EFI partition and making it bootable with fdisk. I'm hoping to post detailed instructions soon but until I get rid of this error I can't promise much.

If there is anyone out there that know how to get pas this problem, please let me know and I'll let you guys know how to utilize the EFI partition as supposed to creating a separate one for the "MacLoader"

Thanks

there's really nothing much to do if u want to use this method in the EFI-partition. all's needed is to mount the hidden EFI-partition, then instead of formatting it as "MacLoader", format it as "EFI". ;)

Hey all,

I having some issues installing Snow Leo. So I've built the SnowLeoInstaller on a 8gb USB drive and copied over my kexts files and efi strings for graphics to com.apple.plist. I don't have any errors upon compiling my usb installer. So everything looks good to go.

After rebooting and choosing SnowLeoInstaller, the usb drive starts booting. It gets to a point where the SnowLeo install screen starts to come up, so it goes from blue to grey and then sits on the grey screen with the mouse pointer in the top left side on the screen. It doesn't go any further than that. Does anyone know what's up with that? Have I missed a step?

Thanks,

Chevy

u may try removing first your graphics-efi-strings from Boot.plist. since u were using graphics-efi-strings, i would believe u no longer have any video/graphics-kext inside the KEXTs folder (e.g NVEnabler, NVinject, etc.).

Okay I am having some serious problems now :((

I keep getting kp's on startup: pmap_remove range empty hash...

Plus it keeps resetting my bios which means I have to set it to AHCI every time before I start.

Please help!!! I can't boot up with -v -f -x -s either.

I can boot into the SL disc partition I have so am going to restore my macloader partition to the leopard version so I can boot into leopard again. :)

u were able to install snowleo but u don't have your (patched) DSDT.aml which causes the cmos-reset.

don't use the -f boot-flag. try using -v -x32.

Im having problems using your script for SnowLeoInstaller........

"Where do you want to setup the SnowLeoInstaller? => /Volumes/SnowLeoInstaller

ERROR!! /Volumes/SnowLeoInstaller cannot be found!

"

Its right there, I can see it, its mounted and visible on my desktop... can you tell me how I can get this to work?

type-in just SnowLeoInstaller not "/Volumes/SnowLeoInstaller". remove "/Volumes/".

Hi all,

first - thanks for this impressive tutorial :(

I tried to follow it and was not successful, but never mind - just start debugging now :)

When I followed the steps, all went fine (1_GetDSDT and 2_DSDTpatcher) but in the output I found two errors, which I do not understand.

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20080926 [Oct  4 2008]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation

./dsdt_fixed.txt   222:	 Method (\_WAK, 1, NotSerialized)
Warning  1080 -						 ^ Reserved method must return a value (_WAK)

./dsdt_fixed.txt   285:			 Store (Local0, Local0)
Error	4050 -								 ^ Method local variable is not initialized (Local0)

./dsdt_fixed.txt   290:			 Store (Local0, Local0)
Error	4050 -								 ^ Method local variable is not initialized (Local0)

./dsdt_fixed.txt  3861:									 Return (0x01)
Warning  1099 -							   Statement is unreachable ^ 

./dsdt_fixed.txt  3994:								 If (LEqual (Arg2, 0x03))
Warning  1099 -						 Statement is unreachable ^ 

ASL Input:  ./dsdt_fixed.txt - 5680 lines, 189870 bytes, 2436 keywords
AML Output: ./dsdt.aml - 18094 bytes, 636 named objects, 1800 executable opcodes

Compilation complete. 2 Errors, 3 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 716 Optimizations

Compiling done, if it worked, you have now a patched DSDT in dsdt.aml
If the compiling went wrong, you could force to build it with ./DSDT\ Patcher -f (try this DSDT at your own risk)

logout

[Prozess beendet]

Can someone give me some hint about this message?

Thanks Gerhold

GA-EP45-DQ6

Q6600

8GB RAM