[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Snow Leopard

MACinized

530 posts in this topic

Hi guys, after trying for 2 days to get my modded boot-132 disc to boot I finally got to the installer, get mouse to work and select a hdd! Woohoo *g*

Now while installing I get this error:

Picture

Any idea what it is related to?

might be dsdt.aml, cause I don't have any yet

I have several kexts and I inserted my correct GUID of my gfx-card

I do install to a usb-hdd with guid-partitiontable

i also can't switch hdd to internal, because I already have a win7 an my internal hdd -> mbr -partitions

also I deleted a sm-something file that was on the iso my boot-132 originated (didn't know how to mod properly and other isos don't have it either

tried with -v -f -x32 and all combinations (-x32 is also aöready set in com.apple.boot.plist)

EDIT btw it's a PM965 ICH8 HP Laptop (Santa-Rosa Platform))

thx

i made the bootable usb installation but wen it was time to show the choose language and such the monitor went blank and the the system just halted.

i then boothe wit -v and the last set of ino were about no display file or folder, then it too went to a black screen and halted. do u have any idea how to solve this?

Thanks for this guide! I was able to use it to get my Bad Axe 2 hack upgraded. I had one problem that cost me a lot of time, and thought posting about it might help others:

After getting the installer to boot, I kept getting a kernel panic just a few minutes into the installation. It turned out to be cause by the fact that I habitually open the log window to watch what's going on during the install. When finally tried letting the install run without opening the log, the install finished, fine, and I was able to follow the rest of the guide to end up with a working system.

Once again, your tutorial was awesome!! One problem: I can boot to my snow leopard partition but not to the mac loader one. The macloader one panics with

npvhash=4095

PAE enabled

64 bit mode enabled

however, by boot.plist in macloader has kernel flag -x32 so I am not sure what is goin on here.. Any ideas??

Thanks!

Hi there. I am trying to follow the guide, I have no problems creating the DSDT file but when I am coming to the step where I am supossed to use the 2_SnowLeoInstaller it freezes.

Setting-up your SnowLeoInstaller as the SnowLeoInstaller...
This may take a while. Please wait...
installer: Package name is Chameleon
installer: Upgrading at base path /Volumes/SnowLeoInstaller

It stops at the last line there and even if I let it be on for over 2 hours it does not move. Pretty sure its not supposed to go on for that long :) Any idea?

You can see my setup in my sig. The kexts I am using ( having in the kext folder are as follows:

DSDT.aml ( which is not stated whre its supposed to be so I gather it should be in the Kext folder), EVOenabler.kext ( this is a 64 bit kext that patches up my HD4870 graphics card ( I know that it works from another installation on another computer with same card), fakesmc.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext.

The usb I am using is a USB harddrive that did not have any trubles when I restored the retail dvd to it. It behaves like the retail dvd even when beeing clicked open :D

Any ideas what I might do to check out what is freezing the installer? I have allready checked Activity Monitor, and the installer seems to be hogging a small amount of ram but no CPU and it is straight off frozen, no activity otherwise then taking up a smal bit of memory.

You can see my setup in my sig. The kexts I am using ( having in the kext folder are as follows:

DSDT.aml ( which is not stated whre its supposed to be so I gather it should be in the Kext folder), EVOenabler.kext ( this is a 64 bit kext that patches up my HD4870 graphics card ( I know that it works from another installation on another computer with same card), fakesmc.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext.

You don't need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext with a patched DSDT.

Here's a zip file with the files I currently use in /Extra/Extensions/ on my P5K Pro (with dsdt.aml in /).

p.s. Which BIOS version do you have?

Edit: I also patched the USB ports like so:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1a,0x0)</key>
<dict>
	<key>device-id</key>
	<string>0x3a37</string>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1a,0x1)</key>
<dict>
	<key>device-id</key>
	<string>0x3a38</string>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1a,0x2)</key>
<dict>
	<key>device-id</key>
	<string>0x3a39</string>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1a,0x7)</key>
<dict>
	<key>device-id</key>
	<string>0x3a3c</string>
</dict>

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1d,0x0)</key>
<dict>
	<key>device-id</key>
	<string>0x3a34</string>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1d,0x1)</key>
<dict>
	<key>device-id</key>
	<string>0x3a35</string>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1d,0x2)</key>
<dict>
	<key>device-id</key>
	<string>0x3a36</string>
</dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1d,0x7)</key>
<dict>
	<key>device-id</key>
	<string>0x3a3a</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Which of cource is part of my com.apple.Boot.plist

THANK YOU SO MUCH

Worked on my Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L flawlessly from an existing 10.5.8 installation.

I ended up having to do an image of my 10,000 RPM bootdrive, and then restore it to another hard drive. I then booted off the other hard drive and continued using this method on my original 10,000 RPM boot drive to install Snow Leopard.

Everything working in 32-bit mode. 64-bit Kernel Panics on boot at IntelPowerManagement.kext, and times out on ethernet if IntelPowerManagement is removed.

Once again, your tutorial was awesome!! One problem: I can boot to my snow leopard partition but not to the mac loader one. The macloader one panics with

npvhash=4095

PAE enabled

64 bit mode enabled

however, by boot.plist in macloader has kernel flag -x32 so I am not sure what is goin on here.. Any ideas??

Thanks!

I heard substituting "arch=i386" for "-x32" solves a lot of problems, but I'm not an expert.

To Macinized: I've been waiting so long for the MacLoader to be ported to Snow Leopard. Off to try it on EEE-PC-1000he. The Leopard guide worked, so I'm sure the Snow Leopard one will work also. Anyone know if most Atheros wireless cards are working in this version?

Also, does this have to be installed on a GUID partition table hard drive?

Hi there. I am trying to follow the guide, I have no problems creating the DSDT file but when I am coming to the step where I am supossed to use the 2_SnowLeoInstaller it freezes.

Setting-up your SnowLeoInstaller as the SnowLeoInstaller...
This may take a while. Please wait...
installer: Package name is Chameleon
installer: Upgrading at base path /Volumes/SnowLeoInstaller

It stops at the last line there and even if I let it be on for over 2 hours it does not move. Pretty sure its not supposed to go on for that long :( Any idea?

The usb I am using is a USB harddrive that did not have any trubles when I restored the retail dvd to it. It behaves like the retail dvd even when beeing clicked open :glare:

Any ideas what I might do to check out what is freezing the installer? I have allready checked Activity Monitor, and the installer seems to be hogging a small amount of ram but no CPU and it is straight off frozen, no activity otherwise then taking up a smal bit of memory.

i believe u have already have an existing chameleon install to your SnowLeoInstaller before u executed 2_SnowLeoInstaller. try reformatting ur flashdrive, restore snowleo dvd installer to it.

inside the KEXTs folder of the MacLoader_SL kit, remove the already included NVEnabler.kext & the VoodooHDA.kext if you have no use for it then put in your EVOenabler. then execute 2_SnowLeoInstaller & make sure that u set it up to the same partition where u restored your snowleo dvd installer.

NVEnabler kext also makes my mouse pointer stutter when trying to navigate desktop.

try grabbing this Disabler (u may also check stellarola's blogs). add it inside the KEXT's folder of the MacLoader_SL kit then execute 3_MacLoader. forgot to add my updater script. will do that the soonest.

[EDIT]

updated post#1 w/ the updated MacLoader_SL kit.

After getting the installer to boot, I kept getting a kernel panic just a few minutes into the installation. It turned out to be cause by the fact that I habitually open the log window to watch what's going on during the install. When finally tried letting the install run without opening the log, the install finished, fine, and I was able to follow the rest of the guide to end up with a working system.

tnx ducman for sharing this observation.

I heard substituting "arch=i386" for "-x32" solves a lot of problems, but I'm not an expert.

To Macinized: I've been waiting so long for the MacLoader to be ported to Snow Leopard. Off to try it on EEE-PC-1000he. The Leopard guide worked, so I'm sure the Snow Leopard one will work also. Anyone know if most Atheros wireless cards are working in this version?

Also, does this have to be installed on a GUID partition table hard drive?

tnx for sharing the info Branhower. using "arch=i386" do work but "boot-uuid" still won't work. but i'd now prefer using arch=i386. :)

this should not have problem w/ MBR partitions except for the SnowLeoInstaller. a modified snowleo OSInstall.mpkg floating around allows snowleo install to mbr. i just don't want to cover it anymore. :o

tnx ducman for sharing this observation.

tnx for sharing the info Branhower. using "arch=i386" do work but "boot-uuid" still won't work. but i'd now prefer using arch=i386. ;)

this should not have problem w/ MBR partitions except for the SnowLeoInstaller. a modified snowleo OSInstall.mpkg floating around allows snowleo install to mbr. i just don't want to cover it anymore. :D

Did some searching, there is. ;)

I might have deleted the pkg instead of the mpkg, because it still told me I need a GUID partition scheme. ;)

This seems like a great guide and thanks MACinized for the time and effort you've put in.

I'm just not holding my mouth right somehow, every time I try restarting on the SnowLoeInstaller I get an instant KP.

Maybe it's down to my kexts

Anyone with a similar config had luck with this?

I take it the Bootloader goes to MacLoader_SL?

I'm Running

Asus p6t se MB

i7 920

6gig

I've been running 10.5.5 fine for a few months now with the iDeneb install.

MACinized

Thank you very much!

For the first time i successfully install and boot in snow leopard with ep35-ds4 mb.

2 question (after successfully install) though,

1, how do i add new kext with this setup?

2, how do i change chameleon settings?

Thanks again for this great tutorial.

Well, I bit the bullet and went GUID; after trying 3 modded OSInstall.mpkgs and modifying my own. Who wants to save a Windows install anyway??? ^_^

And the wireless in the 1000he is now working! Thanks Apple! ;)

Edit: After installing, I'm getting a "launch_msg: socket not connected" error, will look into it tomorrow (I probably need IntelPIXATTA.kext, I Googled the error and it mostly seems to point to a hard drive issue).

;))-->

QUOTE (^_^ @ Sep 4 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MACinized

Thank you very much!

For the first time i successfully install and boot in snow leopard with ep35-ds4 mb.

add/remove kexts inside the KEXTs folder inside the MacLoader_SL kit then double-click 4_Updater.

what chameleon settings are u referring to?

QUOTE ( :) @ Sep 4 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>MACinized

Thank you very much!

add/remove kexts inside the KEXTs folder inside the MacLoader_SL kit then double-click 4_Updater.

what chameleon settings are u referring to?

"add/remove kexts inside the KEXTs folder inside the MacLoader_SL kit then double-click 4_Updater."

1, I mean after booting in snow leopard if i need to install additional kext. Can i do this with the HD that i am booting from?

"what chameleon settings are u referring to?"

2, like automatic booting time, and witch HD to boot from and such.

edit:

Sorry, I am quite new to chameleon

I have always use the none UI ones.

Let's say if i want to change the boot time to 0

and i want chameleon to auto boot to my snow leopard HD (on 2 sata to my mb).

I will have to go to MacLoader partition and look for com.apple.boot and edit like such?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>rd=disk0s2</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(1,1)</string>
</dict>
</plist>

:))-->

QUOTE (:) @ Sep 4 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1, I mean after booting in snow leopard if i need to install additional kext.

to keep your snowleo vanilla, i recommend installing your add'l kext to MacLoader. u can do that by making use of the 4_Updater that's included in the MacLoader_SL kit. just manage (i.e. add/remove) what kexts are inside the "KEXTs" folder.

:D)-->

QUOTE (^_^ @ Sep 4 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2, like automatic booting time, and witch HD to boot from and such.

u can also do this by executing 4_Updater. but well u can also manually edit the com.apple.Boot.plist that's inside the "Extra" folder inside the MacLoader partition.

DSDT.aml ( which is not stated whre its supposed to be so I gather it should be in the Kext folder),...

btw, the dsdt is automatically taken cared of by my scripts. it's copied to the "Extra" folder.

QUOTE ( ^_^ @ Sep 4 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>1, I mean after booting in snow leopard if i need to install additional kext.

to keep your snowleo vanilla, i recommend installing your add'l kext to MacLoader. u can do that by making use of the 4_Updater that's included in the MacLoader_SL kit. just manage (i.e. add/remove) what kexts are inside the "KEXTs" folder.

QUOTE ( ^_^ @ Sep 4 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>2, like automatic booting time, and witch HD to boot from and such.

u can also do this by executing 4_Updater. but well u can also manually edit the com.apple.Boot.plist that's inside the "Extra" folder inside the MacLoader partition.

btw, the dsdt is automatically taken cared of by my scripts. it's copied to the "Extra" folder.

Thanks A Lot!

I'll try it tonight.

Just one last Q,

MacLoader partition1, snow leopard partition 2 (on 2nd sata to my mb).

=<string>hd(1,1)</string> ?

or

=<string>hd(1,3)</string> ?

in com.apple.boot

on this method, I think, you will get this error when using Diskutil in terminal: diskutil[370:903] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

this will also appear all the time in syslog ... use PlatformUUID.kext and change it (info.plist), as well as SMUUID in smbios.plist ... use your MacAddress for the last 12 digits in UUID/SMUUID ...