Vanilla Snow Leopard Install for GA-G31M-ES2L

dustintinsley

23 posts in this topic

Vanilla Install - GA-G31M-ES2L

This guide covers the best method I have found for a clean, vanilla install of Snow Leopard on a GA-G31M-ES2L.

So it seems that a non-working graphics driver will cause a boot hang in 10.6. If you have any ideas let me know.

Thanks to Netkas, The Chameleon team, Modbin, SuperHai, Dr. Hurt, Fassil, dfe, HBP112358, noob776, and the OSx86 Community.

Needed Files:

Snow Leopard 10A432 DMG

Chameleon 2.0 RC1

fakeSMC.kext

Openhaltrestart.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

boot

dsdt.aml

com.apple.Boot.plist

Your own EFI graphics string

Prepare for install

This method does require an working install of Mac OS X Leopard to prepare for installation hard drive. You can use individual hard drives or partitions to do this install. I used a hard drive with 2 partitions on it, formatted and partitioned as GPT. So lets assume you have 10.5 installed on Drive {1} and that you intend to install SL on drive {2}:

Open diskutil and format disk {2} with GPT filesystem

Select disk {2}, click on partition

Click on drop down box and select 2 partitions

Select options and select GUID partition map

Click on partition 2 and set it's size to 7.5GB

Click apply and wait for it to complete.

At this point, you would install Chameleon and edit EFI partition as outlined below. Be sure you complete those steps before continuing.

Now select partition 2 from disk {2} and click Restore

Select your SL DVD (or SL DMG) and drag it to the source box

Drag your disk {2} partition 2 to the destination box and hit apply

At this point you should have an empty partition that is going to house your OS, and be setting up another for ANY needs for restoring and updates.

If you want to install Snow Leopard on a drive other then the one you just partitioned/installed Chameleon on/setup EFI partition on, you will need to repeat those steps on the hard drive you are planning on installing your OS on.

Prepare the EFI partition thanks noob776!

Run the Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg

Click Customize

Check Chameleon EFI HFS option

Uncheck Extras

Click Install

Make changes to EFI partition

Run Terminal with following commands:

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

killall Finder

(This depends how your computer is set up, open up disk utility and click information on your guid partitioned drive, replace X with your drive's number.)

or run this command in terminal to find it:

diskutil list

Replace the boot file in /Volumes/EFI/ with the one you downloaded

Add the downloaded kexts to /Volumes/EFI/extra/extensions/

You can add a DSDT.aml to /Volume/EFI/extra/

Add your EFI string to com.apple.boot.plist and place in /Volume/EFI/extra/

Reopen terminal (VERY IMPORTANT YOU DO THIS otherwise drive won't mount correctly), run following commands:

sudo -s

umount -f /Volumes/EFI

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

killall Finder

Install

Restart.

Hit F12 so you can select what HD to boot from if you have more than one installed. Be sure you boot from drive you just edit EFI partition on.

At the Chameleon screen, hit Enter so it displays the partitions you can boot from. Select the partition you restored your DMG to. Type "-x32" to boot installer in 32-bit mode

Boot Installer with -x32 flag and install where you want.

Once done, you can boot into 64-bit by doing nothing at the Chameleon screen. To boot into 32-bit, you need to pass -x32 @ the chameleon screen. To get audio working, select "Internal Speakers" in your system preferences for sound output. I have not ran into an issues as of yet. I will post fixes for anything that I find.

I realize the part of setting up the partitions and all may get confusing. The way I did my initial install was on a test drive, I installed Chameleon/setup my EFI partition, restored the DMG to partition {2}, an d used partition {1} as my install path for Snow Leopard. This allowed me to be bale to boot in 10.5 if any problems were encountered as I was trying to come up with a good method for an install. Once I had SL installed, I booted into SL and cleaned up my primary HD (I formatted so as to start clean), repeated the Chameleon/EFI partition setup on that drive, and began the install process once again, now using my primary HD as the install location.

Vanilla Install - GA-G31M-ES2L

This guide covers the best method I have found for a clean, vanilla install of Snow Leopard on a GA-G31M-ES2L.

So it seems that a non-working graphics driver will cause a boot hang in 10.6. If you have any ideas let me know.

Thanks to Netkas, The Chameleon team, Modbin, SuperHai, Dr. Hurt, Fassil, dfe, HBP112358, noob776, and the OSx86 Community.

Needed Files:

Snow Leopard 10A432 DMG

Chameleon 2.0 RC1

fakeSMC.kext

Openhaltrestart.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

boot

dsdt.aml

com.apple.Boot.plist

Your own EFI graphics string

Prepare for install

This method does require an working install of Mac OS X Leopard to prepare for installation hard drive. You can use individual hard drives or partitions to do this install. I used a hard drive with 2 partitions on it, formatted and partitioned as GPT. So lets assume you have 10.5 installed on Drive {1} and that you intend to install SL on drive {2}:

Open diskutil and format disk {2} with GPT filesystem

Select disk {2}, click on partition

Click on drop down box and select 2 partitions

Select options and select GUID partition map

Click on partition 2 and set it's size to 7.5GB

Click apply and wait for it to complete.

At this point, you would install Chameleon and edit EFI partition as outlined below. Be sure you complete those steps before continuing.

Now select partition 2 from disk {2} and click Restore

Select your SL DVD (or SL DMG) and drag it to the source box

Drag your disk {2} partition 2 to the destination box and hit apply

At this point you should have an empty partition that is going to house your OS, and be setting up another for ANY needs for restoring and updates.

If you want to install Snow Leopard on a drive other then the one you just partitioned/installed Chameleon on/setup EFI partition on, you will need to repeat those steps on the hard drive you are planning on installing your OS on.

Prepare the EFI partition

Run the Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640.pkg

Click Customize

Check Chameleon EFI HFS option

Uncheck Extras

Click Install

Make changes to EFI partition

Run Terminal with following commands:

sudo -s

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI

killall Finder

(This depends how your computer is set up, open up disk utility and click information on your guid partitioned drive, replace X with your drive's number.)

or run this command in terminal to find it:

diskutil list

Replace the boot file in /Volumes/EFI/ with the one you downloaded

Add the downloaded kexts to /Volumes/EFI/extra/extensions/

You can add a DSDT.aml to /Volume/EFI/extra/

Add your EFI string to com.apple.boot.plist and place in /Volume/EFI/extra/

Reopen terminal (VERY IMPORTANT YOU DO THIS otherwise drive won't mount correctly), run following commands:

sudo -s

umount -f /Volumes/EFI

rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

killall Finder

Install

Restart.

Hit F12 so you can select what HD to boot from if you have more than one installed. Be sure you boot from drive you just edit EFI partition on.

At the Chameleon screen, hit Enter so it displays the partitions you can boot from. Select the partition you restored your DMG to. Type "-x32" to boot installer in 32-bit mode

Boot Installer with -x32 flag and install where you want.

Once done, you can boot into 64-bit by doing nothing at the Chameleon screen. To boot into 32-bit, you need to pass -x32 @ the chameleon screen. To get audio working, select "Internal Speakers" in your system preferences for sound output. I have not ran into an issues as of yet. I will post fixes for anything that I find.

I realize the part of setting up the partitions and all may get confusing. The way I did my initial install was on a test drive, I installed Chameleon/setup my EFI partition, restored the DMG to partition {2}, an d used partition {1} as my install path for Snow Leopard. This allowed me to be bale to boot in 10.5 if any problems were encountered as I was trying to come up with a good method for an install. Once I had SL installed, I booted into SL and cleaned up my primary HD (I formatted so as to start clean), repeated the Chameleon/EFI partition setup on that drive, and began the install process once again, now using my primary HD as the install location.

lol you could of just posted the files then posted a link to the guide :)

the difference between the boot files is just that the one i posted(Modbin) defaults in booting x32 while pcEFI's defaults in booting into x64

commands for 32

-arch=i386 -v -x32

commands for 64

-arch=x86_64 -v -x64

If you wanted to just copy paste my guide say it was written by me. like the sections in my guide, i stole alot from superhai on the boot-132 cd method so his name is next to the guide.

lol you could of just posted the files then posted a link to the guide :D

the difference between the boot files is just that the one i posted defaults in booting x32 while pcEFI's defaults in booting into x64

commands for 32

-arch=i386 -v -x32

commands for 64

-arch=x86_64 -v -x64

noob776, this guide was very closely based off yours, as is apparent. I changed a few things around and updated the dsdt.aml file to work properly for me (hdef audio, wifi, and cmos reset). I did give you credit in this guide.

Here is a fix for sleep not working properly.

SleepEnabler.kext

It would go into /Volumes/EFI/extra/extensions

noob776, I was having problems with the install until I used the Customize in the Chameleon installer and changed those options. If you mentioned that in your install, then I missed it and apologize. This guide was very closely based off yours, as is apparent. I changed a few things around and updated the dsdt.aml file to work properly for me (hdef audio, wifi, and cmos reset). I did give you credit in this guide.

Here is a fix for sleep not working properly.

SleepEnabler.kext

It would go into /Volumes/EFI/extra/extensions

just put a tag somewhere about it being written or taken or something from my guide and I have no issues :D

it is a community. the main goal is to help people

and it was covered :D

well, I think this is coming close to disgusting, sorry. you just did a copy and paste job word by word almost and don't even mention that you copied it? E.g. you even take Noob776's statement and question and make it your own?

what the heck?

Take somebody's hard work and take credit for it? Listing him among a list of others, doesn't do it, or throw his name somewhere half way down the guide. If you truly want to give him credit your post should start with. "This guide is based on.... link.. made by Noob776...". That'd be proper.

sorry, but my opinion is that this is NOT OK and disingenuous.

but, that's just my opinion.

lol you could of just posted the files then posted a link to the guide ;)

the difference between the boot files is just that the one i posted(Modbin) defaults in booting x32 while pcEFI's defaults in booting into x64

commands for 32

-arch=i386 -v -x32

commands for 64

-arch=x86_64 -v -x64

If you wanted to just copy paste my guide say it was written by me. like the sections in my guide, i stole alot from superhai on the boot-132 cd method so his name is next to the guide.

Hi noob 766, I was just searching around for a solution to booting in 32bit mode when I came across this thread. I entered your command at Chameleon boot and YES! I have 32bit Snow Leopard, so I expect much more stable! Thanks so much, that was really helpful! One last thing... What is the syntax for entering this command in the boot plist file? Does it just go under "kernel flags" or is there something special? Thanks again, this has really moved me on.

Hi noob 766, I was just searching around for a solution to booting in 32bit mode when I came across this thread. I entered your command at Chameleon boot and YES! I have 32bit Snow Leopard, so I expect much more stable! Thanks so much, that was really helpful! One last thing... What is the syntax for entering this command in the boot plist file? Does it just go under "kernel flags" or is there something special? Thanks again, this has really moved me on.

under kernel flags.

under kernel flags.

Thanks. I entered the string, rebooted and it worked! But, next time I rebooted I got a KP. I deleted the string from the plist and tried entering manually at boot and still get the KP. I'm stumped. Now I'm back to 64bit mode with no VoodoHDA sound again. Why would it work the first couple of times then not? Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

I followed all instructions exactly about 10 times but I am getting the

"ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin :: Start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out"

hang. what am i doing wrong??

thanks a lot.

EDIT: I solved that problem by removing NVDAResman.kext, NVDANV40HAL.kext NVDANV50HAL.kext and Geforce.kext. But now a few minutes into the install, I get a kernel panic.

Any ideas??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ive just been trawling through the forums. I have a fully functioning Snow Leopard Install with sound and an Overclocked C2D from 2.4 to 3.2. It runs smooth as houses in 64bit mode on my GB G31MES2L. I have fixed the dsdt for the CMOS problem and sound. The only thing that I am having trouble with is SLEEP. I have tried Sleepenabler by installing the kext with Kext helper but it just doesn't have any of it. Whenever I sleep the HAck it just restarts as if I have pulled the power from the wall. It must go into some form of sleep though as it will wake on a mouse click or a keyboard press. There must be something with regards to resuming that resets it back to a full reboot.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and whether or not they have found a fix for it.

Nick :blink:

• 2 months later...

I am all set besides sound (don't care) and ethernet. Has anyone had luck with a kext for the onboard LAN? Which one? To make a long story short, I got a bit adventurous trying several and had to start over from scratch. I'll post my setup when I finish. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone encountered the following sleep issues ?

Sometimes the system goes to sleep and clicking the mouse brings it back on.

sometimes the system wakes up, but the display is still black and the display does not come back online.

Just wondering if anyone has encountered this issue and what the fix might be ?

I have the v2 ES2l board with the ar8131 ethernet drivers. Graphics is a Gigabyte 8500GT 512MB card.

I'm using an IATKOS S3 (10.6.3) with my GA-M31-ES2C Rev 1.

10.6.3 - Apple Update to 10.6.4

Intel C2D 2.4

4GB Kingston DDR2

GeForce 9600GT OC edition (via boot.plist)

Mac and DVD are running on IDE, while 2 other HD runs on SATA

USB Bluetooth and USB Webcam natively detected by Macosx

onboard everthing else

Only running on 32bit mode Vanilla with Chameleon because, LAN wont work and my NTFS wont run on 64. Audio is from IATKOS pkg, VoodooHDA. Plus the use of sleepenabler.kext found on this forum works quite well.

Already tried RTL1000SL.kext and it doesnt work in 64bit and in my case in 32bit as well. Using the old RTL1000.kext for 10.5.6.

• 1 month later...

GA-G31M-ES2L running 10.6.4 @ 64-bit

Core 2 Duo e7500@x11,FSB360 (the fat stock fan for the quads)

4GB@1080Mhz

evga GTX285

+Lan@1GB

+Graphics at 1920x1200 on 24"

+Audio (onboard working in 10.6.4 with ALC883 patched verson of AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E - didn't work in E/E)

my E/E kexts

-AtherosL1cEthernet.kext (LAN)

-ElliotForceLegacyRTC.kext (not sure if I need this or not)

-EvOreboot.kext (instead of OpenHALrestart)

-FakeSMC.kext (latest for 10.6.4)

-HDAEnabler.kext

-IONetworkingFamily.kext (seems like I need this for LAN - maybe not...)

-LegacyALC883.kext (need in addition to the patched AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E for 10.6.4)

-NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

-SleepEnabler.kext

I installed using the latest Empire EFI build then manually DL and installed kexts until it all worked. Graphics using Enabler only.

I've also got a patched DSDT in the Extra folder - just the 3 simple patches for the GA-G31M-ES2L that you can find floating around - the HDEF patch for audio and two others for sleep or whatever...

All seems good - except my thermal readouts forthe CPU. I've got iStat Pro installed and it reads as 38C for both CPU's and doesn't change - so, I'm trying to figure out how to install/patch/fix that in either DSDT or otherwise...

Anyone figured that out yet?

GA-G31M-ES2L running 10.6.4 @ 64-bit

Core 2 Duo e7500@x11,FSB360 (the fat stock fan for the quads)

4GB@1080Mhz

evga GTX285

+Lan@1GB

+Graphics at 1920x1200 on 24"

+Audio (onboard working in 10.6.4 with ALC883 patched verson of AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E - didn't work in E/E)

my E/E kexts

-AtherosL1cEthernet.kext (LAN)

-ElliotForceLegacyRTC.kext (not sure if I need this or not)

-EvOreboot.kext (instead of OpenHALrestart)

-FakeSMC.kext (latest for 10.6.4)

-HDAEnabler.kext

-IONetworkingFamily.kext (seems like I need this for LAN - maybe not...)

-LegacyALC883.kext (need in addition to the patched AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E for 10.6.4)

-NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

-SleepEnabler.kext

I installed using the latest Empire EFI build then manually DL and installed kexts until it all worked. Graphics using Enabler only.

I've also got a patched DSDT in the Extra folder - just the 3 simple patches for the GA-G31M-ES2L that you can find floating around - the HDEF patch for audio and two others for sleep or whatever...

All seems good - except my thermal readouts forthe CPU. I've got iStat Pro installed and it reads as 38C for both CPU's and doesn't change - so, I'm trying to figure out how to install/patch/fix that in either DSDT or otherwise...

Anyone figured that out yet?

UPDATE: iStat seems to be working after all... I had to go into FakeSMC (copy it to desktop - use "Show Contents of Package" - and edit the "info.plist" and adjust 'tjmax' from 100 to 90 - i.e. my BIOS was reading the CPU temp at 28 and iStat was showing 38 so this scales it so that they match...) When I run GEEKBENCH to push teh CPU temps up, iStat shows 28 going up with the load... not sure that it's all correct... BIOS still reports temps that are a little more dynamic...

Also, found out that it was CRITICAL to rebuild the Extensions cache using Chameleon in 32 bit mode, i.e. '-F arch=i386' instead of using KextUtility app... then I could boot into 64 bit mode using 'arch=x86_64'.

Had to use AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.2 instead of the 883 patched 10.6.4 AppleHDA. Did that in order to get 64-bit working.

Had a few crashes and so reduced the overclock to 3.74GHz - system seems a little mroe stable.

Sound worked in 32 bit and 64 bit when I did that... System is running well now.

• 3 months later...