[GUIDE] Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail on Abit IP35-E

Arial

84 posts in this topic

I installed, it worked, had it all working nicely. So I fired up System Update and upgraded to 10.6.2.. It seemed to go well, reboot and I get a kernel panic, at the top of the panic, it seems to be complaining about

"Version mis-match between Kernel and CPU PM" So it's a power management kext problem? I don't see any mention of anyone updating to 10.6.2 in this thread..

EDIT: It was SleepEnabler.kext that was causing me my grief. You have to update it after the 10.6.2 update.

Let me just say, this guide was excellent, it worked exactly as described, I put it off for months and months (mostly because SATA1 is snapped on my MB, so only having SATA2 was a showstopper, the new drivers solved that). Thank you for writing this guide. I'm loving my new system.

One more edit... Sleep does not work for me.. Never has on this system, so I wasn't holding my breath, but it's odd that everyone else seems to have sleep.. My fans never turn off (system never powers down), and it's impossible to wake from the strange place it has gone to.. which has been my exact experience with this computer in the past.. Can anyone confirm that sleep is still working? I'll try to work backwards between your setup and mine and see what is different.

I booted back into Leopard (10.5) and replaced it with the 10.6.2 SleepEnabler (google Netkas, it's on his site). Then I rebooted back into SL and booted with the -f option to flush the kext cache on bootup.

thanks, it was just a permission issue. i didnt bother replacing sleep enabler, since sleep never works anyway

Yeah, no doubt.. It must have been a thread about one of my other motherboards in one of my other machines that people got sleep working. Even though I swear I remember going "You seriously got sleep working on this board?".. Maybe it's another thread on here.. Oh well.. SOMEDAY this board will become obsolete, and maybe my next board will sleep.. :P 2 years with this board now, and it's still excellent in my book (aside from sleep).

hey guys,

my computer doesn't start up from the Snow Leopard HDD. Everytime i set the SL HDD to first boot device my computer says that he can't boot from this device ("NO BOOT DISC)

any ideas how i can fix that?

sorry for my bad english.. ;)

So it's been about 5 days now, working like a champ, right up until this morning. For some odd reason, it's now having a very hard time starting the bootup process. It gets stuck right at the beginning, before the spinning circle even appears. In verbose mode, it says "Waiting for volume with UUID ........" Seems like no amount of waiting gets past that, I have to reboot and try again, and while I'd run into this on one out of 5 bootups with Leopard, now it does it 10+ times in a row. I had all but given up when it finally popped up the spinner and quickly wrapped up the boot process on one of my many retries. When I don't have this problem, booting is prompt and fast, when I do, well, it never boots.. My UUID is set correctly in the 3 files.. I don't understand what's happening..

hi guys i was trying to follow this guide, i've ip35-E mobo with E6550, 4gb ram and 8800gt 512mb i'm using kalyway to instal snow leopard in the Snow partition, after few minute the istallation progres stops with a grey screen and a rebot request, what can be the problem? the kalyway version? the kernel version that i used in the kalyway istallation? i used "sleep" one, there is another better for my spec? plz help me. (sorry for my english)

There's a Kalyway for Snow Leopard? Kalyway for Leopard was from 2 years ago.. It's SERIOUSLY out of date and TOTALLY incompatible with Snow Leopard.. You shouldn't need a special kernel for Snow Leopard if you follow this guide. It's a totally vanilla install.

guys i know understand how to instal this snow leopard but i've a problem:

during the istallation ( when installs programs like safari ecc. when or after istalling oxford dictionaries) the istallation stops sayng... files cannot be copied into hdd plz contact softwer producter bla bla

i maked guid partition table is right? if i make mbr i cannot select the partition for the istallation

tnx for your time , i'm w8ting for an answer

brajang.

followed the guide succesfuly but at the first boot there is a kernel panic, few line above speak about cpupowermanagment and cpu not correctly set

wy?

ps: after -x32 -s command snow won't start, the system autorestart after pressing on Snow icon

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much for this guide, Arial. I finally managed to install Snow Leopard here. I've updated i to 10.6.2 now, and it works like a charm. The only thing that bothers me a little bit is that it uses a little long to start up, since the command update_dyld_shared_cache didn't work. Is there something else that works? The AppleIntelPIIXATA kext seems like an option, but I see there's a lot of people who've had a lot of problems with it and 10.6.2

But there is one thing I hope someone can help me with. It seems like it always boots up in verbose mode now, I know it's only a cosmetic thing, but I would love to have the apple logo with the spinning circle below it instead. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Thank you very much for this guide, Arial. I finally managed to install Snow Leopard here. I've updated i to 10.6.2 now, and it works like a charm. The only thing that bothers me a little bit is that it uses a little long to start up, since the command update_dyld_shared_cache didn't work. Is there something else that works? The AppleIntelPIIXATA kext seems like an option, but I see there's a lot of people who've had a lot of problems with it and 10.6.2

But there is one thing I hope someone can help me with. It seems like it always boots up in verbose mode now, I know it's only a cosmetic thing, but I would love to have the apple logo with the spinning circle below it instead. Does anyone know how to fix that?

Did you try the newest AppleIntelPIIXATA kext that was linked above, seems pretty good to me.

Btw this guide/thread were great, I've been running on SL since the end of December. I recommend using an iAtkos boot disk, installing Leopard, then going to SL. I tried the Boot Think method and never got it to work.

Hello all, hopefully someone can give me a few pointers on how to fix my problem.

My board is a similar but not the same:

Abit AB9Pro, so I chose this thread to post in as it is also based on an Abit board and may have the same solutions.

Anyway, basically I am trying to get to 10.6 SL from an old Kalyway 10.5.2 installation.

I managed to mount a image of SL to USB, booted to the USB installation and then from there I used disk utility to wipe the old 10.5.2 installation (on another hdd) so I could then install SL on that drive however after all was done I rebooted and I keep getting waiting for root errors.

I managed to get 10.5.2 Kalyway installation working before with 1280x1024 resolution and main problem was my soundcard not being recognised properly but this is normal (not supported anymore by apple). Audio was working, just not showing 10x10 inputs (my soundcard has 10 in, 10 outs).

Any tips for best way to get SL working on this system?

Note: Kalyway 10.5.2 works almost vanilla except needing usbfix & ati gpu fix or res is stuck at 1024x768.

System:

Abit ab9pro bios 22 - p965 ICH8R chipset

hd4850 512 PCI-e gpu

core2duo e6600 2.4ghz cpu

2 x sata hdd (300gb, 500gb)

1x sata dvdrom

m-audio delta 1010 pci

4x1gb DDR2 ram

Apologies if this should be somewhere else but I was not able to start a new thread for some reason.

• 1 month later...

Try running the MyHack installer. It'll give you a graphical, automated boot loader dealy.

Anybody having issues with 1.6.3 and the lack of AHCI for our board?

fdfd

Hello all, hopefully someone can give me a few pointers on how to fix my problem.

My board is a similar but not the same:

Abit AB9Pro, so I chose this thread to post in as it is also based on an Abit board and may have the same solutions.

Anyway, basically I am trying to get to 10.6 SL from an old Kalyway 10.5.2 installation.

I managed to mount a image of SL to USB, booted to the USB installation and then from there I used disk utility to wipe the old 10.5.2 installation (on another hdd) so I could then install SL on that drive however after all was done I rebooted and I keep getting waiting for root errors.

I managed to get 10.5.2 Kalyway installation working before with 1280x1024 resolution and main problem was my soundcard not being recognised properly but this is normal (not supported anymore by apple). Audio was working, just not showing 10x10 inputs (my soundcard has 10 in, 10 outs).

Any tips for best way to get SL working on this system?

Note: Kalyway 10.5.2 works almost vanilla except needing usbfix & ati gpu fix or res is stuck at 1024x768.

System:

Abit ab9pro bios 22 - p965 ICH8R chipset

hd4850 512 PCI-e gpu

core2duo e6600 2.4ghz cpu

2 x sata hdd (300gb, 500gb)

1x sata dvdrom

m-audio delta 1010 pci

4x1gb DDR2 ram

Apologies if this should be somewhere else but I was not able to start a new thread for some reason.

You might be better off looking for 965 chipset guides as those would be closer to your board, since this guide is for a P35 based Abit and the fixes would work for that chipset more than the board.

As for 10.6.3, just updated today, removed the SleepEnabler.kext, but had a Still Waiting for Boot Device error after rebooting with -f -v . Found out it was a problem with the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, there's a new version out here. You either need to install it before updating or boot into windows with MacDrive and install it through there if you forgot.

As for 10.6.3, just updated today, removed the SleepEnabler.kext, but had a Still Waiting for Boot Device error after rebooting with -f -v . Found out it was a problem with the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, there's a new version out here. You either need to install it before updating or boot into windows with MacDrive and install it through there if you forgot.

I'll give this a whirl and report in. I was using the IOATAFamily.kext from MyHack 1.0. Not sure if it has this kext embedded in their IOATAFamily.kext or not.

Thanks for your help!

I'll give this a whirl and report in. I was using the IOATAFamily.kext from MyHack 1.0. Not sure if it has this kext embedded in their IOATAFamily.kext or not.

Thanks for your help!

I installed from myhack, you need to use the new IOATAFamily.kext (or at least the new AppleIntelPIIXATA plugin), the one from MyHack isn't good enough. You just have to drop it in /Extra/Extensions then use pfix to fix Extensions.mkext.

Anyone have a good DSDT file for the IP-35e? I don't think Arial's has all the patches it could.

I have followed the instruction carefully.

somehow, installation stuck somewhere when trying to install hp_photosmart? it says there is some error when write disk then abort.

did anyone have same issue during installation?

after abort installation, my pc can not boot to original leopard system.

I use MBR partition scheme. anyone success in MBR parttiton DISK??????

I need some help please

my pc spec:

MB: abit ip35-e

CPU: E4400

Vedio: N9500GT

HD: SATA Maxtor 160G

PS/2 KB/MS