[GUIDE] Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail on Abit IP35-E

Arial

84 posts in this topic

Hello!

I have an P5K-SE, which is also ICH9 and I wanted to know how to make my Snow Leopard Install to recognize my SATA HD!

I do not have an Leopard installation but I can boot SL and begin the install from my USB Pen Drive.

I just want to know to to make SL recognize my HD without AHCI!

Thanks a lot!

Look at line 15 of "Snow-Retail/Post-Install.command" you will find and extra " at the end of the line. Just remove this and script will work as expected.

thanks for correct

Thank you for your reply.

As a matter of fact, I have succeeded in installing SL on my DFI Blood Iron T2L (ICH9) using a different method, but still using some of Arial's kexts! So, thank you Arial, once again.

The only problem is my built-in sound card (ALC885) doesn't work, and I was unable to fix this. Any ideas, perhaps?

you're welcome :D

try VoodooHDA for audio.

I have an ip35-e with e6600 and 4gb ram. This install method works fine.

Couple of minor issues

1) I have the following BT adapter. http://dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11866 . With this plugged in SL does not boot and stops at the log message where a usb kext related message is printed (removing and putting it after SL is booted works fine)

2) Starting seems to take a while. after all drivers are loaded and apple yukon2 driver is loaded (and a message saying link is up is printed) it waits for a good 15-20 seconds before it starts the desktop (i can see a powermanagement timeout related print before the apple yukon2 print)

Does anyone face similar issues and know how it can be fixed.

1). I have no problem using Billionton BT Adapter.

maybe you can try with some/all of this boot options:

USBBusFix=Yes

EHCIacquire=Yes

UHCIreset=Yes

2). I have that problem too ;) although I did clean install from HDD partition (NOT on-the-fly method)

here are my system.log http://pastebin.com/f368cd4d0

see line #39-40 there is time difference 52 second.

Sep 11 23:00:02 Abit-IP35E-Snow /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[46]: Login Window Application Started
Sep 11 23:00:54 Abit-IP35E-Snow configd[13]: InterfaceNamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce

or line #34-35 on http://pastebin.com/f2dbb9ea4

Sep 12 00:33:08 Abit-IP35E-Snow mDNSResponder[45]: SIGHUP: Purge cache
Sep 12 00:33:56 Abit-IP35E-Snow sudo[90]: root : TTY=unknown; PWD=/; USER=root; COMMAND=/Library/StartupItems/HWNetMgr/HWNetCfg

but.. if boot with -s then type:

update_dyld_shared_cache
exit

it will boot really fast. I dont how to solve it with normal boot ;)

This seems really complicated. I've been running iAtkos 5i and before that Kalyway for almost two years now, but this method seems quite unclear to me.

Anyone know if this method will work? http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required

I attempted this but my machine would not boot

with on-the-fly method (like my tutorial), I have experience one issue:

"diskutil repairPermissions /" didnt process although BSD.pkg installed.

So it would be better install SL from boot CD/USB/HDD. you can use:

- BootCDMaker by Trauma! http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185932

- Boot Think by xiezhy http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168500

- install BootThink/Chameleon2/PCEFI_V10.4 to SL install disk.

Hello!

I have an P5K-SE, which is also ICH9 and I wanted to know how to make my Snow Leopard Install to recognize my SATA HD!

I do not have an Leopard installation but I can boot SL and begin the install from my USB Pen Drive.

I just want to know to make SL recognize my HD without AHCI!

Thanks a lot!

make sure your target HDD connected to SATA port #1 or #2

IMHO.. I'd prefer to use Boot Think for Retail install from USB Pen Drive or internal/external HDD.

Boot Think will load .plist, DSDT.aml, extra kext from boot disk itself, not from disk you have selected to boot.

short steps:

1. restore SL Retail DVD into Pen Drive

2. install latest Boot Think into Pen Drive

3. put required extra files (.plist & DSDT.aml) into <PenDrive>/Darwin & put extra kext into <PenDrive>/Darwin/System/LibrarySL/Extensions

4. boot the Pen Drive and install SL until finish.

5. Your installed SL dont have bootloader yet, so boot with Pen Drive again and select your SL volume.

6. After get into SL desktop, install Chameleon2-RC3 or PCEFI V10.4 into SL_Volume.

7. Copy .plist, DSDT.aml, extra kext from PenDrive into <SL_Volume>/Extra

8. Unplug PenDrive and boot with

fyi.. here is my Boot Think dir in USB Pen Drive

BootThink_dir.png

bump every sata port for great justice

+1 many ppl waiting for good news from DuNe http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88335

Hi everybody,

Arial, thanks for your guide and all the time you put into building this. However, I am a noob and I don't understand exactly if I need to use the Snow Leopard DVD and build an image that uses your files and than install this from it. Or, this should be installed from OSX onto a second HDD? (will it work if it is a USB external drive?).

Thanks,

reef

Arial, I have an Abit IP35P motherboard and I tried following your tutorial, however at the end of it I got a kernel panic and I’m not sure how to fix it. I would appreciate any advice you have to offer:

1. Include my UUID in the three files you posted.

2. Open EFIStudio then select HD3800X2-1024, click on add device, write to com.apple.boot.plist

3. Open DSDT Patcher GUI click on Darwin, apply DSDT Patch to ‘Snow’, Run DSDT Patcher -> compilation complete. 0 Errors, 1 Warnings, 0 Remarks ...

4. Then I install everything as you posted, that goes fine.

5. When I open the post install.command, I get this:

Line 83: unexpected E0F while looking for matching ..

Line 86: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Process Completed

So, I paste it into terminal: it seems to work ok, although if I scroll up a bit it has lots of sudosudosudosudo.... and says: No such file or directory.

6. One I boot into Snow with the flag that you give I get a kernel panic, before the KP it talks about JMicronATA – no error messages, then:

“Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

Com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement(90.0.0)”

Then same as the kernel panic you posted:

“BSD Process name corresponding ...

MAC OS Version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0 ..

System model name: iMac,1

System update in nanoseconds: 202”

@reefdog:

reread my latest post above http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1298021

if you already have working Leo, it's better to do not install on-the-fly.

@ilia.uk:

for Abit IP35 Pro http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182123

Thanks for the quick response.

I believe the IP35P is different to the IP35Pro (as it doesn't have ACHI - so I can't change the option in the bios).

I've looked through this thread and have overcome the intial problem. At the moment I have sound working, ethernet working - just a problem with the video. I would be grateful if you could help me overcome these two problems.

1) When I boot with the boot flag -x32 -s, and type in update_dyld_shared_cache I get the error message failed can't create temp file /var/dy/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_i386.tmp, errnor-3C

2) I have an Nvidia 8800GTS and I am unable to change it from your default value of the 9600. I have opened up the efi string creater, it creates a long string, then I click add to boot.list - however when I open the bootlist nothing happens. I would appreciate it if you could just explain that bit in a bit more detail as whenever I change my screen resolution I get a kernel panic.

(3 - I get a kernel panic when I update it; is this normal?)

Many thanks once again, your tutorial has been the best I've found (as lifehacker doesn't work on my mobo due to lack of ACHI).

Edit:

I've noticed that whenever I boot with -x32 -s, my sounds works, whenever I don't, it doesn't.

I've also managed to change the resolution without a KP however I'm unsure of how to make it recognise my 8800gts.

Hopefully all of these problems are due to my problems with updating the cache after booting with -x32 -s initially.

oh.. sorry. so IP35P is different with IP35 Pro which have AHCI option.

thank you for your feedback ;)

1). you can bypass update_dyld_shared_cache because it's not permanent solution for lagging boot.

2) if you dont know about EFI string, you can use GraphicsEnabler PCEFI 10.3 or newer. http://translate.google.com/translate?lang...opic.php?t=1255

- install PCEFI

- edit com.apple.Boot.plist

del

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>*****</string>

add

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>

Screenshot2009-10-14at124316AM.pngScreenshot2009-10-14at122716AM.png

3) 10.6.1 update should be fine.

now try to install from USB/HDD, not by run installer from working OSX (on-the-fly). it would be better.

oh.. sorry. so IP35P is different with IP35 Pro which have AHCI option.

thank you for your feedback :)

1). you can bypass update_dyld_shared_cache because it's not permanent solution for lagging boot.

2) if you dont know about EFI string, you can use GraphicsEnabler PCEFI 10.3 or newer. http://translate.google.com/translate?lang...opic.php?t=1255

- install PCEFI

- edit com.apple.Boot.plist

del

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>*****</string>

add

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>y</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>y</string>

Screenshot2009-10-14at124316AM.pngScreenshot2009-10-14at122716AM.png

3) 10.6.1 update should be fine.

now try to install from USB/HDD, not by run installer from working OSX (on-the-fly). it would be better.

Thanks for the support and the detailed response.

I have finally managed to get snow leo working which is good news indeed (including the update to 10.6.1). The only thing that is stopping it from being a perfect install is that sleep doesn't work; but I can learn to live without that.

I will try this tomorrow morning:

# AppleLPC.kext

This is needed for sleep fix and show option "Restart automatically after a power failure" on Energy Saver.

Run LSPCI/DPCIManager and see the ven,dev ID of LPC Interface Controller

Right-click> Show Package Contents> Contents, open Info.plist with TextEdit and find IONameMatch key.

add your ven,dev ID string there if not exist.

In regards to this (to fix sleep):

# AppleLPC.kext

This is needed for sleep fix and show option "Restart automatically after a power failure" on Energy Saver.

Run LSPCI/DPCIManager and see the ven,dev ID of LPC Interface Controller

Right-click> Show Package Contents> Contents, open Info.plist with TextEdit and find IONameMatch key.

add your ven,dev ID string there if not exist.

These are the contents of my info.plist: (minus the red bit which is what I want to put in)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>PlatformUUID</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>© 2009 Superhai</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.superhai.driver.PlatformUUID</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.0.0</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>Add Platform UUID</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>com.superhai.driver.PlatformUUID</string>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOResources</string>

<key>IOResourceMatch</key>

<string>IOKit</string>

<key>IONameMatch</key>

<string>8086:2918</string>

<key>PlatformUUID</key>

<string>E7A0F0A3-698D-3F52-95A9-BF2663C68D68</string>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.kpi.iokit</key>

<string>7.0</string>

<key>com.apple.kpi.libkern</key>

<string>8.0d0</string>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

</dict>

</plist>

When I open theDCPI Manager the Dev ID of my LPC Interface Controller is 8086:2918, does this mean I should add in the bit in red to my info.plist

Thank you Arial for putting this guide together. I'm a newbie and I was able to get SL up an running and update to 10.6.1 on an Abit IP35-E. I'm still working on getting my 8800GT to recognize although I thought I'd use my first post to help the next guy by describing my pitfalls along the way.

(1st Pitfall)

I stumbled across the OSx86 community two days ago so I had a lot to learn in a short amount of time. The first thing I couldn't figure out was if I could use Arial's guide if I didn't already have a working "hacked" 10.5.x version of Leopard. I haven't tried Arial's boot-think pen drive install yet, but can say that its possible to use the guide using a macbook pro running 10.6.1 and an external sata usb dock.

After finishing the SL install and "prep" I took the sata drive out of the usb dock and installed it in my atx tower.

(2nd Pitfall)

Arial has mentioned the extra " in a couple of posts already although his download pack still has the error as of yesterday. It took me a good 45 minutes running each line of the post install command one by one to find it.

(3rd Pitfall)

I was ecstatic the first time I saw the SL intro video although I had a problem where I could only get SL to run for 15 to 30 seconds before it would panic and crash. I probably restarted 50 times and eventually was able to get terminal open and start repairing permissions before I determined it wasn't the permissions that was causing the problem. I fixed the seemingly random panics by taking the drive out of my tower, hooking it up to my macbook again and installing Chameleon 2.0 RC3. It was rock solid from then on.

(Comment)

I was surprised my sound worked from the first time I got the SL intro video to run. I don't know if this is normal but I did the "Voodoo fix" for no other reason than it was in the guide.

Hope this helps a future IP35-e newbie.

--

I'm still amazed I was able to get SL running on my PC but I'd still be grinding away without Arial's guide. Thanks again.

reread my latest post above http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1298021

if you already have working Leo, it's better to do not install on-the-fly.

@Arial

I have an iMac and a PC. Only iMac has Snow Leopard installed. And I am trying to install it also on the pc. My PC configuration is the following: IP35-E, Q6600, Gigabyte 9600 1Gb, 1x Sata WD, 2x Sata WD AAJ, LG DVDRW IDE

I have an external USB HDD 80GB (IDE) unfortunately it's not a SATA drive so I can't install on the fly and than plug it into my PC. Therefor, I will try the above method you explained using the Boot Think.

I will come back later today with questions or screen shots if I manage to make it run.

Please see the attached screenshots. (I am not sure what method/settings should I use to install BootThink)

post-486525-1256811483_thumb.jpg

post-486525-1256811119_thumb.jpg

I have tried the following but it looks like its not working for me. It keeps restarting on boot.

post-486525-1256838446_thumb.jpg

Help. Any suggestions ?

Thanks a bunch,

reef

weird, i was able to get this to work before. i wiped my hard drive to move to a bigger drive, now when i first boot using -x32 -s after i do update_dyld_shared_cache and hit exit i reach till the point where it says acpi_smc_platformplug - timed out but never actually goes to snow desktop

I was able to get it to work. looks like installing efi on the new drive didnt work that well. FYI the new AppleIntelPIIXATA with support for all sata ports by dune is available, after installing this I find that I no longer have the lag during boot, it starts up quite fast.

nirvanaguy19,

Could you provide a quick install guide on how you installed the AppleIntelPIIXATA Kext?

Thanks,

Rumi

nirvanaguy19,

Could you provide a quick install guide on how you installed the AppleIntelPIIXATA Kext?

Thanks,

Rumi

downloaded the kext file (64bit version not universal) mentioned here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88335

extracted AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext from IOATAFamily.kext (its in plugins inside the kext)

copied it into Extra/Extensions folder

finally ran the kext utility tool that is part of the snow-retail package (attached in the first post of this thread)

thats it, after reboot it was able to find my dvd drive attached to port 6 on my ip35-e. also bootup seems to be much faster

Could anyone tell me if their HPET device works with ForceHPET/DSDT fix?

The thing is I'm trying to get native speedstep to work, which would remove the need the have OpenHaltRestart kext, it might fix sleep and so on.

Problem is, if I try to boot without NullCPUPowerManagement kext, I get the error saying I don't have HPET. I've tried looking everywhere, and people are saying it should be working with the above fixes. But for some reason it isn't.

So other IP35-E owners, I really want to know if you get the same problems?

Please try opening the console and see if mentions something about HPET on boot... Would really help me. I'd like to try and get my system running without NullCPUPowerManagement.

I was able to get it to work. looks like installing efi on the new drive didnt work that well. FYI the new AppleIntelPIIXATA with support for all sata ports by dune is available, after installing this I find that I no longer have the lag during boot, it starts up quite fast.

thanks for the good news m8.

I'm using the universal x86_64 version. AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext on E/E http://www.mediafire.com/?zuwm0au2y2a

yes.. all SATA channels now works and faster boot :D

Could anyone tell me if their HPET device works with ForceHPET/DSDT fix?

The thing is I'm trying to get native speedstep to work, which would remove the need the have OpenHaltRestart kext, it might fix sleep and so on.

Problem is, if I try to boot without NullCPUPowerManagement kext, I get the error saying I don't have HPET. I've tried looking everywhere, and people are saying it should be working with the above fixes. But for some reason it isn't.

So other IP35-E owners, I really want to know if you get the same problems?

Please try opening the console and see if mentions something about HPET on boot... Would really help me. I'd like to try and get my system running without NullCPUPowerManagement.

I got KP if NullCPUPowerManagement.kext removed.

about HPET.. I think it because our BIOS dont have HPET option/feature. GA & ASUS mobo have it.

about OHR.. now we can use new kext EvOreboot http://www.osx86.es/?p=749

my PC also installed Windows, so I've installed Local-Time Toggle on OSX to sync time & date with Windows.

maybe this Local-Time Toggle also make sleep dont work because the created date of sleep image.

Hi Arial. Thanks a lot for the reply.

Even though our BIOS doesn't have the HPET option, I was under the impression that the board should support it, as most newer intel boards. Maybe I'm wrong? The weird thing is that ForceHPET should enable HPET for boards like the ip35-e that do not have the option for it in the BIOS. However it seems not to work. So maybe the ip35-e doesn't even have HPET? It just seems impossible to confirm or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Arial

thanks for the guide. I have wanted to put SL on my ip35-e for a while now but have so far been unsuccessful. I have a couple of questions.

I'm installing from a working Leo 10.5.8 onto:

IP35-E (Bios Version 18)

Core 2 Duo E6750

XFX 9600 GT 512mb (dvi-dvi)

Hitachi 1TB (target SL drive in SATA1)

Hitachi 1TB (working leo 10.5.8 in SATA2)

After following the instructions on the first page (including removing the extra " from the post install command) and booting with -x32 -s or -x32 -v I get an endless loop of rebooting.

it seems I have pretty similar system to Arial but for some reason I am still having issues.

Any help would be apprecaited. Thanks!

hello

I have never installed mac on my abit ip35-e. I want to start off by installing snow leopard.

I have managed to create a USB with SL (using myHack Installer 1.0 RC4.1)

I can even boot into SL installation via this USB, but the problem is, I am not able to see any of my SATA Drives (I have 2 SATA HDD - 320GB -ch1 & 640GB -ch2)

Is there a better way to make a SL installation USB only for Abit-IP35-e

My Config:

E8400 @ 3

2GB

8600GT 256mb ddr

Regards