D945GCLF2 Snow Leopard

248 posts in this topic

Ok, seem to have a few outstanding problems with 10.6.2 which i hope someone can point me in the right direction.

In a few posts back i mentioned i was getting kernel panics if i delete nullcpupowermanagement.kext. The kernel panic message i am receiving is: 'no HPET available, cpu configured incorrectly'

Now in my bios i have set HPET to enable, which doesn't make a difference whether it's enabled or disabled because i still get the kernel panic. Now, when i first installed 10.6 i deleted appleHPET.kext because i was told it would help with sleep, but didn't make a difference and i never replaced it. Would that need to be installed again?

Also, as Damien mentioned this could have to do with my DSDT.aml file. Now, i used the one damien posted in the first post, same kernel panic, i used one provided by teateam, same kernel panic. I made my own by getting the info from ioreg, still same problem, so to me it doesn't seem like a dsdt.aml problem, but who knows.

Now i can boot fine if i have nullcpupowermanagement.kext, but without it i can't boot.

UPDATE:

I have managed to boot with out nullcpupowermanagement.kext and all i had to do is reinstall appleHPET.kext and repair my permissions and now i can boot with native AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Sleep still doesn't work, but i will try with the latest DSDT.aml to see if that makes a difference.

Is there any way to add support to gma 950 to 800x480 resolution? I'm looking dsdt.dsl but not sure how can i add it ;) (if its possible).

I use it with a 7" touchscreen and now i need to boot mac, wait, see out of range (800x600) and then replug vga.

In other hand, i'm with 10.6 with kernel test7 with HT, sound, reboot, shutdown, sleep, ... why to upgrade to 10.6.2?

Is there any way to add support to gma 950 to 800x480 resolution? I'm looking dsdt.dsl but not sure how can i add it :) (if its possible).

I use it with a 7" touchscreen and now i need to boot mac, wait, see out of range (800x600) and then replug vga.

Have you tried something like SwitchRes?

I tr with DisplaConfigX and switchresx and in this way i can set 800x480 res, but only unplugging vga cable and repluggin it.

I can boot with 800x480x32 mode, but i see apple logo and then a blanck screen Then, if i replug vga cable i can see desktop.

No matter, y put into car a kvm to siwtch off/on vga cable easiest

Btw, i try to add it to boot.plist to see almost the logo and know if it loads ok, but nothing happends.

I put it as:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

/Volumes/EFI/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

/Volumes/EFI/com.apple.Boot.plist

Not sure if it reads from EFI partition and Extra directory.

<string>"Graphics Mode"="800x480x32@60</string>

And in this other way:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>"800x480x32@60</string>

And nothing happens.

I use chamaleon

---

Solved at 50%

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>800x480x32</string>

<string>"Graphics Mode"="800x480x32"</string>

into /Volumes/EFI/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

But i need to replug vga to see desktop. now i see apple logo on boot and blanck screen. replug vga and it ok.

---

Another question.

Is any way to hibernate when power button is pressed?

Now when i press power button it become to sleep, and when i press it again wake up. But i want to put into car, and the power will be interrupted. I dont need to sleep, i need hibernate it.

---

And more...

To activate hibernate:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1

Here is the options to pmset hibernate (copy&paste):

# 0 - Old style sleep mode, with RAM powered on while sleeping, safe sleep disabled, and super-fast wake.

# 1 - Hibernation mode, with RAM contents written to disk, system totally shut down while “sleeping,” and slower wake up, due to reading the contents of RAM off the hard drive.

# 3 - The default mode on machines introduced since about fall 2005. RAM is powered on while sleeping, but RAM contents are also written to disk before sleeping. In the event of total power loss, the system enters hibernation mode automatically.

# 5 - This is the same as mode 1, but it’s for those using secure virtual memory (in System Preferences -> Security).

# 7 - This is the same as mode 3, but it’s for those using secure virtual memory.

But now i have this error into chamaleon:

Not enought free space to restore image

To solve it, i move the sleepimage from /var/vm/sleepimage to /Volumes/carputer/sleepimage wuth this command:

sudo pmset -a hibernatefile /Volumes/carputer/sleepimage

I have 10.6.2 running pretty well on the D945GCLF2, but am still having a problem with sleep.

I am running in 32 bit mode using native AppleIntelCpuPowermanagement.kext. In my bios settings i have S3 enabled. Now, i can put the computer to sleep no problems. The computer will wake from sleep only if i wake the computer with in 10 seconds of going to sleep. If i wake the computer with in 10seconds of putting the computer to sleep it wakes no problems. If i wait after the 10 sec to wake my computer, it will just restart my computer.

I have tested this over and over and for some odd reason the computer won't wake from sleep if its been longer than 10 seconds.

Anyone have any thoughts on this sleep problem? Also, i am using the dsdt.aml from the first post and is located in the root of my snow leopard drive and am using teateams kernel.

Hi guys,

I am a OS X noob. I have this motherboard and I am trying to install snow leopard on it.

I have followed the lifehacker how-to here: http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required

When I boot my USB drive, I just get a flashing cursor. I think this may be a problem with my boot loader. But after reading this thread it seems I may need to do some other tweaking to the install image on my USB drive?

If I do need to repair the bootloader what's the best way to do that? Use diskutil in OSX? I have access to my cousin's imac for anything I need to do from OSX.

Thanks.

i use chemeleon bootloader from USB and goes fine.

If you have the installation dmg, mount it into imac and then copy the installation disk (not dmg) to usb.

Be carefully with permissions into Extra dir into chemeleon.

OK, maybe I should take a different approach. Is there a better way to get snow leopard installed on this mobo? I have the install DVD, I have another mac I can access if necessary to modify stuff, but it's at my cousin's house, so that's less than optimal. I have Fedora Linux installed on another machine here locally.

From googling chemeleon, it does not appear to be trivial to install.

Greetings,

Reaching my 46th hour on the D945GCLF2D, I'm about to shoot the mobo, or maybe myself. To preface, I have studied this specific forum for over a week, have been a member of I.M. for 3 years, and have built 4 systems with the help, and gracious assistance of the forum members. For the life of me, I cannot get this mobo to boot to 10.6.1. Out of desperation, I even tried the SnowUniversal install. It installed successfully (guid partition) but k.p. 's as soon as the screen comes up. I've copied ugokind's folder(s) over to the drive, tried various chameleon/efi bootloaders. With the gracious assistance of nok6230, I even imaged his working snow server, but the same instant k.panic as soon as the screen is visible. Any suggestions as to which step I take would be, once again, gratefully appreciated. Thank you. ssprod ;)

i use chemeleon bootloader from USB and goes fine.

If you have the installation dmg, mount it into imac and then copy the installation disk (not dmg) to usb.

Be carefully with permissions into Extra dir into chemeleon.

Is chameleon something I install from a working OSX machine? I need more handholding I guess.

I have followed the lifehacker how-to here: http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow...acking-required

It's pretty hard to suggest anything when I would just be guessing about what you are doing.

You don't list anything about your hardware other than to say "I have this motherboard and I am trying to install snow leopard on it." Since this thread has the title "D945GCLF2 Snow Leopard" I assume you mean you've got a D945GCLF2. But you don't say what you're trying to use for video. If you're trying to use the integrated Intel GMA 950 video using only the mods in the Lifehacker article that may well be your problem.

It seems that you may have either skipped over or ignored the part of the Lifehacker article which describes which hardware it is targeted at. Near the beginning of the article it states:

What You'll Need

• Supported hardware. I laid out my list of supported hardware in my previous post here. It's not the only hardware that will work with OS X, but it's the only hardware that's guaranteed to work with this guide.

If you follow the link provided to the previous version of the article, you'll find the list of hardware which the instructions & software in the article will work with. Here are the more important components from that list.

• GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
  • 10/ 100/ 1000/ 2000Mbps PCI Copper Gigabit Network Adapter

Now this is not to say that you can't get OS X running on a D945GCLF2 since clearly that's what this thread is about. But why did you assume you could use instructions in a guide which was written to work with hardware it appears you don't have? :)

If you want to get this to work you may have to spend more time and effort than just the few steps outlined in that article. Are you still interested?

It's pretty hard to suggest anything when I would just be guessing about what you are doing.

You don't list anything about your hardware other than to say "I have this motherboard and I am trying to install snow leopard on it." Since this thread has the title "D945GCLF2 Snow Leopard" I assume you mean you've got a D945GCLF2. But you don't say what you're trying to use for video. If you're trying to use the integrated Intel GMA 950 video using only the mods in the Lifehacker article that may well be your problem.

It seems that you may have either skipped over or ignored the part of the Lifehacker article which describes which hardware it is targeted at. Near the beginning of the article it states:

What You'll Need

• Supported hardware. I laid out my list of supported hardware in my previous post here. It's not the only hardware that will work with OS X, but it's the only hardware that's guaranteed to work with this guide.

If you follow the link provided to the previous version of the article, you'll find the list of hardware which the instructions & software in the article will work with. Here are the more important components from that list.

• GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
  • 10/ 100/ 1000/ 2000Mbps PCI Copper Gigabit Network Adapter

Now this is not to say that you can't get OS X running on a D945GCLF2 since clearly that's what this thread is about. But why did you assume you could use instructions in a guide which was written to work with hardware it appears you don't have? :)

If you want to get this to work you may have to spend more time and effort than just the few steps outlined in that article. Are you still interested?

Yeah, sure I'm interested. I don't mind wading around a bit but the terminology is confusing. I read about needing kexts or other stuff but there's no easy way for me to figure out how to get those kexts loaded onto something I can actually boot.

I figured the lifehacker thing had a low probability of working out of the box, but from what I've read the D945GCLF2 works pretty well with various 10.5 distros so I figured there was a shot.

If I need to add stuff to the install image I have, I'm fine with that. I just need some pointers. There's a lot of info here and in other places, sorting through it is hard.

If I need to add stuff to the install image I have, I'm fine with that. I just need some pointers. There's a lot of info here and in other places, sorting through it is hard.

I was hoping someone else would jump in here. Drat! I don't have an D945GCLF2. I just look at the new posts to see if they say anything interesting about DSDT that I might be able to use.

If you don't have access to your own Mac that might slow you down a bit. While I've been told it's possible to do everything one needs to do without using an existing Mac, I'm not familiar with that approach. Also I know the LifeHacker article assume you have access to a Mac to do the setup work.

I'd suggest you start by (re)reading this thread from the beginning since it is talking about installing Snow Leopard on the platform you have.

Some general words about terminology and such ...

Since OS X (and the OS X install DVD) can
not
boot on non-Apple hardware, all approaches start by using a different boot loader to get OS X up and running. Chameleon is a very popular boot loader. It is also what the LifeHacker guide uses. There are others out there but since Chameleon is all I know at the moment, I'll only talk about it.

Rather than use the "simple" Lifehacker guide, I suggest you refer back to the
and use the steps outlined there in a Mac "terminal" window to install the Chameleon boot loader onto the USB drive which has your Snow Leopard install DVD image. (I'd also suggest using the latest versions of both Chameleon and of Netkas' PC-EFI, but that's up to you.) If you want to get your MB running OS X I think you're going to have to eventually use the command line, so you might as well start now, no?

A number of things go on under the covers to get OS X running on PC hardware.

1. As mentioned earlier, you use a different boot loader (e.g. Chameleon)

2. Apple hardware does not have a BIOS. Instead these systems use
    to accomplish the things (more or less) which the BIOS does on a PC motherboard. The purpose (I'm guessing) of
    is to sit between OS X and the BIOS allowing OS X to believe it is talking to the EFI.

3. Apple Intel systems also use the System Management Controller (SMC) interface to control the hardware. Netkas also has a kernel extension, FakeSMC.kext to allow OS X to think it is talking to the SMC.

The addons which the LifeHacker guide walks you through installing include the above tools. (But be aware that there have been updates to those tools since the LifeHacker guide was created. You may want to use the latest versions.)

The terminology "kernel extension" (a file with the .kext extension) occupies a role in OS X similar to that of a device driver on other operating systems. In order to get OS X working on PC hardware you need to add some special purpose kernel extensions which can work with the PC hardware. That's why people talk about kexts so often here.

Chameleon has a special hook into the directory /Extra on the partition you have Chameleon boot from. The LifeHacker guide walks you through setting this directory up, but never says anything about what it is used for. What Chameleon uses it for is to access configuration files and kernel extensions used to allow OS X to run on a PC motherboard.

By default Chameleon also looks (first) in the directory /Extra/Extensions to find any special kernel extensions you may have installed. The idea behind this is that you can leave your OS X system code untouched as much as possible. By restricting your special purpose mods to the /Extra directory, it makes it easier to keep track of just what you've changed.

One other thing to know about kernel extensions and the LifeHacker guide. As part of that guide you install a couple of special kernel extensions into /Extra.
However
, they are not placed into /Extra/Extensions where you might expect to find them based on what I just said.

Instead, they are consolidated into a single file, /Extra/Extensions.mkext (IIRC). (See also
) I suggest you unpack the extensions from that file, move them into /Extra/Extensions, and then rename or otherwise remove /Extra/Extensions.mkext. That way you'll have a better idea of just what special purpose addons you are using.

On other thing to note. My experience is that OS X will not see SATA drives connected to a controller which is using legacy IDE mode. (At least not without using special mods ...) To get OS X to see your hard drives you have to go into the BIOS and set the SATA controller to use
mode.

But rather than mess around will the hard drives actually installed to your motherboard, I would suggest installing OS X onto an external USB attached hard drive while you are still experimenting. That way you have the freedom to completely format the drive should you wish while you are still figuring out how you want to set things up.

I realize the above is rambling and may not be useful to you, but it's all I could come up with on the fly. Hope it helps at least a bit.

But rather than mess around will the hard drives actually installed to your motherboard, I would suggest installing OS X onto an external USB attached hard drive while you are still experimenting. That way you have the freedom to completely format the drive should you wish while you are still figuring out how you want to set things up.

[/indent]

I realize the above is rambling and may not be useful to you, but it's all I could come up with on the fly. Hope it helps at least a bit.

No, this post was very helpful. I'll try this though it will probably be a couple of days before I can get access to a running mac again to re-tweak the install image.

Thanks.

Hi,

If you have a DVD connected to your D945GCLF2-box, you can do installation from retail Snow Leopard DVD.

I uploaded a chameleon boot cd image. Download this image, unzip and burn to cd and boot your D945GCLF2 from this new cd.

When you get to the menu, eject this cd and insert the Installation DVD and Hit F5.

Do a regular Installation of your favorite OS, but make sure to use a GUID Partition schema when you setup

your disk with the Disk Utility.

After Installation again boot from the boot cd, but this time choose the disk, which you installed Snow Leopard on.

For chameleon:

- download chameleon

- in the Terminal type "sudo -s"

- change to chameleon folder /i386

- type "diskutil list" and find out your Snow Leopard System-Partition (I use disk0 and Partition2 in this example)

- put boot0 in the MasterBootRecord of your disk, type:

"fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0"

- put boot1h in the Bootsektor of the Systempartition, type:

"dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2"

- Copy boot in to the root of BootPartition, type:

"cp boot /"

- To make Snow Leopard Systempartition "active" (set boot flag) type

sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk0

f 2

write

y

exit

You still need to have an Extra folder with some kext and a DSDT.aml

to be able to boot of the disk.

But this should get you started.

Hi,

If you have a DVD connected to your D945GCLF2-box, you can do installation from retail Snow Leopard DVD.

I uploaded a chameleon boot cd image. Download this image, unzip and burn to cd and boot your D945GCLF2 from this new cd.

When you get to the menu, eject this cd and insert the Installation DVD and Hit F5.

Do a regular Installation of your favorite OS, but make sure to use a GUID Partition schema when you setup

your disk with the Disk Utility.

After Installation again boot from the boot cd, but this time choose the disk, which you installed Snow Leopard on.

For chameleon:

- download chameleon

- in the Terminal type "sudo -s"

- change to chameleon folder /i386

- type "diskutil list" and find out your Snow Leopard System-Partition (I use disk0 and Partition2 in this example)

- put boot0 in the MasterBootRecord of your disk, type:

"fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0"

- put boot1h in the Bootsektor of the Systempartition, type:

"dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2"

- Copy boot in to the root of BootPartition, type:

"cp boot /"

- To make Snow Leopard Systempartition "active" (set boot flag) type

sudo fdisk -e /dev/disk0

f 2

write

y

exit

You still need to have an Extra folder with some kext and a DSDT.aml

to be able to boot of the disk.

But this should get you started.

Hi FilterPunk,

I booted this image and I see a white screen with an image of a DVD in the center. The boot CD spins down, I put the snow leopard retail disc in, and then nothing happens. I push F5, return, everything I can think of, it just sits there.

Am I missing something?

TIA,

I just installed 10.6.2 on my d945glcf2d using Hazard's Snow. My bootloader is PC 10.5+Chameleon. I used teateam's mach_kernel to enable Hyperthreading, IOATAFamily.kext fix for ATA drives, deleted AppleTyMCEDriver.kext. Everything is working great and I am using vanilla GMA950 kext (AppleGMA950.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext vanilla were downloaded since Hazard's were older versions). I have Hardware acceleration and resolution change with 32bit but with 64bit, I only have hardware acceleration and no resolution change. Also, I am not using and DSDT.aml. Is the DSDT a must or is it OK not to have it? Also, is there any fix for resolution change on 64bit? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

I may help you for dsdt. yes I think is a must to control.. because you can add some trick to resolve part of the bios/motherboard that otherwise the o.s. couldn't see.

this is the purpose of the dsdt!

so I restart from scratch.. applying last strategy.. above

but.. why remove AppleTyMCEDriver?

..ps I use stimac guide.. but I want to boot in full 64bit

at now.. only arch=x32 start without a hard restart.

for the rest.. the stimac is fine 100%

sleep ok, but if I press the power button it goes immediately in sleep.. without prompt if to restart/shutdown/stop..

video is ok, in system information / kernel extensions I see that 99% of kexts was loaded in 64bit native mode.. except for few ones.. and one of those are 950 video kext and integrateframebuffer!

ps: I never removed AppleTyMCEDriver.. I left nullcpupowermanagement

in bios I use hpet enable and HT enable

I tried to load voodoopowermonitor.. but it prompt in verbose mode that it can't be loaded.

so is a good result, audio, video, net, sleep is pretty and fine

some mod to last stimac dsdt

row 1917: chenged device TMR in TIMR

NEXT: rtc: the 0x02 mod to hack cmos reset in snow is applied in the 1st block.. so the 2nd have value 0x04 unchanged.. shall we change both or must I leave it as is? I TRY with a mod.

Device (RTC)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))

Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IO (Decode16,

0x0070, // Range Minimum

0x0070, // Range Maximum

0x01, // Alignment

0x02, // Length

)

IO (Decode16,

0x0074, // Range Minimum

0x0074, // Range Maximum

0x01, // Alignment

0x04, // Length

)

})

}

NEXT: EHCI method doesn't have DSM. I test the dse editor EHCI mac pro hack example

NEXT: I see that USB doesn't have (for each one) the DSM method. I suggest to use the DSE editor hack2 example.

now I test that configuration (attached) tomorrow