D945GCLF2 Snow Leopard

248 posts in this topic

Hello all, this is probably my first post here. I have successfully built about 4 systems now with SL and they work great, however I am running into an issue with the Intel D945GCLF2 mobo and I thought this is the right place to ask.

Everything works for me except the video. I can't seem to find any GMA950 drivers that work with 10.6.1. I found several "packages" of a few files for S-L-E, but SL complains about a couple of them and they don't load. Putting them into /Extra/Extensions seems OK, but again I don't know if they are loading.

Anyway, when viewing the System Profiler it shows:

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2772

Revision ID: 0x0002

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

The key for me is that a KEXT didn't get loaded.

Now since I am a noob, I don't understand DSDT.aml files just yet, do I need one to fully utilize my GMA950? And if so, how do I make/download/install one? I tried installing 2 or 3 that I have found included with some of the "all in one" packages for this mobo, but they just KP and I have to go in a remove them to get the system booting again.

Anyway, TIA for any advice,

Dennis

Look, I have Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2772] (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) and you may notice that vendor and device identification numbers (8086 and 2772 for vendor-id and device-id respectively) are the same as yours. That means you have same video as mine (absolutely, because D945GCLF2 are built only with that chip). So, I do not use other drivers then Snow Leopard stock ones. Neither should you. I am not completely sure but that was your mistake to replace them. And I guess you should get stock drivers back and maybe try DSDT but that is not necessary for GMA950 as far as I know.

I will post my latest DSDT and stock drivers in 2 hours. They are 32bit, but we probably will get 64bit with 10.6.2 update.

Sorry for my English - it's not my native language.

Ok. Let's start. Files attached are GMA950 stock kexts. Next time do not overwrite them. Also there is my DSDT, must be used with bootloader which is able to load DSDT, Chameleon RC2 will do. DSDT must be placed in root of the partition. No chmod/chown is needed here. As for drivers,

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/KEXTNAME.kext
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/KEXTNAME.kext

will fix your permissions and set proper owner.

This is it. If something goes wrong - let me know.

GMA950_Snow_Leopard_Stock.zip

DSDT.zip

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

I will try these drivers and see how it works. I was wondering one thing, though. I have seen people talking about 32-bit vs. 64-bit when it comes to the GMA950 drivers. Even though the drivers are 32-bit, does that mean I can still start up SL in the 64-bit mode? Or does that mean any 32-bit drivers don't get used when in the 64-bit mode?

If I need to start up in 32-bit mode, I think I know how to do that. It has something to do with adding an entry into a boot file with data like arch=i386, or more appropriately <key>arch</key> and <string>i386</string> as in other plist files.

Is there an easy way to see what mode the OS is running in? I think it's in the System Profiler but I am not sure. I tried typing "arch=i386" as a Chameleon option but I didn't see any difference with the GMA driver or the OS itself.

Thanks for your help,

Dennis

There is "Extensions" node in System Profiler's tree. There you can see all of loaded extensions and if they are 64bit or not. And "Software" node should tell if you got "64-bit kernel and extensions". Other way is to run uname -a in terminal. i386 at the ned of output means 32-bit and x86_64 stands for 64-bit.

32-bit kernel can happily load all 64-bit stuff, but 64-bit kernel cannot load legacy stuff, so backward compatibility is not so simple. You better stay in 32-bit, in 64-bit you may lost some of kexts. But noone knows for sure, you may give it a try at least.

Almost forgot, arch=x86_64 as boot option will force 64-bit kernel.

I not completly through yet, with installing Leo Server but I want to say thanks to you guys:

DamienValentine, The King and to everybody who helped.

As we all read 10.6.2 has "again" ATOM support, I am sure we will keep enjoying a fully working

Hackintosh :(

ummm.. i cant upgrade my leopard install :)

That's what i try to do:

I installed leopard as this post explain:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1156630

Burned snowleopard dvd.

Open snowleopard installation into leopard and press install to HD.

I can see progress bar and it seems all ok.

Suddenly it reboots and... i boot into leopard again :(

Using refit into usb to boot i can boot leopard dvd installation but not snowleopard dvd installation.

I see L is try to use 32 bits and SL 64 bits on boot, maybe here is the error.

Btw, can someone tell me in few steps how to install sl almost 100% functional?

I mean:

-Boot on hd without usb (sata disk)

- Enable HT (yes using kernel7, but how to install it)

- Enable sound and mic (i think its clear)

I need to mod any UUID string?

I'm very neewy :(

hi everybody

I've got a fully working install of SL server, but I got an ethernet issue

when I download files, over AFP to my Macbook pro, no problem, i get around 50 MB/s

but when I upload files, the transfer is very unstable. it begins with 50 MB/s, a few seconds, then there isn't more traffic, then it's continues, and so on

I use the Realtek kext, because without I wasn't able to get bonjour working

any idea ?

thanks in advance

lekr,

Most hard drives have very different read and write speeds, my read speeds max out around 60mb/s, and my write speeds are much lower, around 30-40mb/s. This is usually hard drive related, you can check the specs of your disc and you will see the write speeds are much lower. The rise and fall of transmission speeds is quite normal, especially over LAN.

Cheers,

Nok

I know that, but I didn't get that results with that MB under Leopard Server ... and with my old G4 under leopard server, i get a constant speed ...

I ran a copy between two disks connected to sata ... it's over 100 MB/s ...

so I don't think it's normal, it seems to be an issue with the full duplex ...

anyway, thanks

Hello. need your help.

I need a boot123 work with this motherboard. I do not work Empireefi or Rebelefi or generic Bootcds or bootcd Lizard made.

or fails to boot bootcd, or have a kernel panik after putting the DVD of Snow.

pardon my bad English.

Thank you.

OK, 10.6.2 came out today and I am hearing confirmations on the report that the kernel is updated and it does not support the atom processor. Here is the workaround from Meklort, if you are using the vanilla kernel, and not the test7 that supports HT.

1. Open up a terminal and type (no quotes) "sudo cp /mach_kernel /mach_kernel_10_6_1"
  2. Update to 10.6.2 (don't restart
  3. Type the following in the terminal "sudo cp /mach_kernel /mach_kernel_10_6_2"
  4. "sudo cp /mach_kernel_10_6_1 /mach_kernel"
  5. Reboot into normal mode
  6. Run NetbookInstaller **i.e. you may need to install chameleon again and any kexts you have in S/L/E**
  7. Reboot (again)

I have a working SL server that I don't want to mess up so if anybody else running the test7 kernel wants to do an update and confirm that it works, it would be great to get a confirmation.

Cheers,

Nok

10.6.2 really panics at boot and falls into cycling reboots. But with mach_kernel_test7 works like a charm. Now I have 64-bit kernel extensions except kernel itself. System6.0, Mach6.0 and others are still 32-bit. Sleep/restart/halt are OK.

Only power management bothers me. I guess I will try to put NullCPUPM, SleepEnabler and EVOReboot in one single kext.

For those who want to install retail - sorry, guys, cannot help you, I really appreciate dan1234's Snow Leopard Universal with all those "deleted printer drivers and languages, slimmed size to one single-layer DVD" so I never installed retail. I am really sorry.

10.6.2 really panics at boot and falls into cycling reboots. But with mach_kernel_test7 works like a charm. Now I have 64-bit kernel extensions except kernel itself. System6.0, Mach6.0 and others are still 32-bit. Sleep/restart/halt are OK.

Only power management bothers me. I guess I will try to put NullCPUPM, SleepEnabler and EVOReboot in one single kext.

For those who want to install retail - sorry, guys, cannot help you, I really appreciate dan1234's Snow Leopard Universal with all those "deleted printer drivers and languages, slimmed size to one single-layer DVD" so I never installed retail. I am really sorry.

10.6.2 does NOT support ATOM CPUs anymore, that might be the cause of your problem

Using dan1234's Snow Leopard Universal with all those "deleted printer drivers and languages, slimmed size to one single-layer DVD" dont boot form dvd too, and refit dont show the dvd (with retail is ok)

I think i will install leopard and no more.

Another time...

Talking with teateam he suggested me to use chameleon usb boot instead dvd boot.

I found this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=165676 and seems to works fine.

But (i always have a BUT) i dont found the correct kext to use with d945gclf2

In the very first post we have faxeSMC, IOATAFamily.kext and VoodooHDA.kext

Without IOATAFamily.kext i have kernel panic. Thats solved

But now when i try to boot, instead the IOATA error i have other with IOACPIFamily :'(

Someone can upload the kexts to install SL from USB?

Thanks.

Still with problems.

Using your dsdt.aml and Extensions.mkext with match_kernel, match_kernel.test7, match_kernel_atom_amd64, with HT enabled or disabled:

panic(cpu0 caller ...); Unsupported CPU: Family = 0x6, model = 0x1c ...

(...)

com.apple.driver.AppelIntelCPUPowerManagement

It tries to boot as 64 bits; i set into chameleon arch=x86_32 -v and i have the same error.

i put it into Extra folder, into Extra\Extensions folder and into Extra\Extensions\10.6

If i boot from match_kernel, match_kernel_atom64 i have the same issue (AppelIntelCPUPowerManagement) with or without HT :rolleyes:

I changed permissions to Extensions.mkext and owner (655 and root:wheel)