D945GCLF2 Snow Leopard

248 posts in this topic

Cannot get past the AppleIntelPIIXPATA kernel panic.

I use D945GCFL2 with one SATA disk and one SATA DVD. Use Chameleon bootloader.

Well, if you got no ATA devices you can simply delete IOATAFamily.kext and that's all. Then boot with -v -f and everything should work without KP.

For me the OS is more stable than my other gigabyte board, with everything working perfectly, except audio which I don't care to fix. Boots in under 30 seconds.

I am almost done setting it up, but I dont want to post instructions until everything is working, and for me I will not take the risk of screwing up my system just for the audio, so someone else will have to do it.

I do have an DMG of my hard drive though, before the user setup and all, I can post this as a bit torrent if people are interested in running 10.6.1 server. All you would have to do is restore it to an HD and cheange the UUID's, and you are good to go. This baby transfers files about 3x faster than my airport disk did since the overhead of osx server is so low.

Cheers,

N

Hey Nok,

Did you ever manage to post instructions anywhere? I downloaded your torrent, but I keep going wrong somewhere.

Cheers.

Hey Nok,

Did you ever manage to post instructions anywhere? I downloaded your torrent, but I keep going wrong somewhere.

Cheers.

After restoring your hard drive image to the hard drive and installing chameleon 2.0 RC4, it boots, but the wheel keeps spinning and then a 'no entry' symbol appears.

You mentioned three UUID mods, but I have no idea what to do there...

I know it's annoying when people with only a few posts to their name insist on being awkward, but any help anyone could give would be massively appreciated.

EDIT: I have managed to get it to boot, and it all seems to work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@DamienValentine, in one of your posts on this thread you mention changing the SMBIOS.plist profile to that of a MacPro3.1, but the file attached to your first post still has the MacMini2 profile. Could you update it, or upload the MP31 SMBIOS you used?

I'm trying to get to get my DSDT fully compatible with my D945GCZ board (Pentium D and different audio than the D945GCLF2), and would like to compare some of the keys in your SMBIOS to mine (which is pretty basic right now).

Thx

EDIT: Also the last DSDT file you posted (on Nov.5 '09) seems to be corrupted, could you upload your latest?

Hi everybody,

I have now a OSX 10.5.8 running on the D945GCLF2D box.

Now I'm going to upgrade to SL. So, can I just apply for some upgrade patch to make it, or I need to prepare a new partition and install a new OS?

Thank you for any advice on this.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this board with 10.5.8 installed for a while now but could not get 10.6 installed. I tried may different methods without success, including using iATKOS S3 V2. Finally last night I decided to forgo the importing of the settings from the Leo installation and was able to install it in the second try. Here is my setup.

iATKOS S3 V2

The Bios setting are the same as Damien's.

From iATKOS S3 V2 Customize before installation:

Bootloader: Chamaleon V2 RC4, PC_EFI V10.6

Bootloader Options: None

Kernel: Atom kernel

Patches: /Extra directory, fakesmc, Disable, EVORboot

Drivers: Intel SATA/IDE, GMA950 27AE

Networking: Selected my Wireless RTL8187L only

Clean install. Rebooted with DVD in drive, (I wanted to make sure I would get to the desktop) hit F8 and selected the HD. Booted fine. Dropped Damien's DSDT.aml in root directory, removed AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and ran kext utility. Reeboted, no DVD and it worked! At this point I only had one resolution available and it was not the one I wanted. So I modified com.apple.Boot.plist (using Damien's copy did not work) to include my resolution of choice. I used Software Update to install 10.6.4 update and rebooted. Got a kernel panic. The update had installed AppleHDA.kxt, so make sure that if you install the update remove AppleHDA.kext before rebooting the computer. After that it worked fine, with my desired the resolutions available.

Issues that require resolution:

Sound: Volume is not as high as in my Leo installation. It seems a bit noisy with control at high volume. Front panel Mike input is not working (same as Leo)

My Ethernet have gone to sleep a couple of times. I need to install the proper kext.

I have not tried Sleep yet.

This was a painless installation after many nights of trying to get SL installed on this board. The key was not importing the setting from my Leo installation.

Good luck to anyone trying this method.

• 3 weeks later...

Does the first post need updating? 10.6.4 is out and there is a fixed kernel from TeaTeam for this.

I've not tried this guide but I wonder if the TonyMacX86 procedure might be a good way to install. It involves booting from a CD ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]) and then installing from your retail OSX Snow DVD, upgrading to 10.6.4, installing DSDT and kexts and reboot. That's pretty much it and we'd "just" need to package a suitable DSDT and kexts into a download.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I had this board with 10.5.8 installed for a while now but could not get 10.6 installed. I tried may different methods without success, including using iATKOS S3 V2. Finally last night I decided to forgo the importing of the settings from the Leo installation and was able to install it in the second try. Here is my setup.

iATKOS S3 V2

The Bios setting are the same as Damien's.

From iATKOS S3 V2 Customize before installation:

Bootloader: Chamaleon V2 RC4, PC_EFI V10.6

Bootloader Options: None

Kernel: Atom kernel

Patches: /Extra directory, fakesmc, Disable, EVORboot

Drivers: Intel SATA/IDE, GMA950 27AE

Networking: (not sure if I selected IBM Gigabit or none)

Clean install. Rebooted with DVD in drive, (I wanted to make sure I would get to the desktop) hit F8 and selected the HD. Booted fine. Dropped Damien's DSDT.aml in root directory, removed AppleHDA.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and ran kext utility. Reeboted, no DVD and it worked! At this point I only had one resolution available and it was not the one I wanted. So I modified com.apple.Boot.plist (using Damien's copy did not work) to include my resolution of choice. I used Software Update to install 10.6.4 update and rebooted. Got a kernel panic. The update had installed AppleHDA.kxt, so make sure that if you install the update remove AppleHDA.kext before rebooting the computer. After that it worked fine, with my desired the resolutions available.

Issues that require resolution:

Sound: Volume is not as high as in my Leo installation. It seems a bit noisy with control at high volume. Front panel Mike input is not working (same as Leo)

My Ethernet have gone to sleep a couple of times. I need to install the proper kext.

I have not tried Sleep yet.

This was a painless installation after many nights of trying to get SL installed on this board. The key was not importing the setting from my Leo installation.

Good luck to anyone trying this method.

Thanks for this! It wouldn't work exactly as you planned out, so I did what you said except for the following:

- Package selection

During installation, I did not install any sound drivers, but did install de 32-bit RFC patch.

- No graphics solution

I used a patch to patch the Apple GMA 950 kext to contain a different (and for me correct) device id.

- Sound (+ no noise and more volume)

I installed the latest VoodooHDA from http://code.google.com/p/voodoohda/ and installed it. To fix the noise and volume, open the newly installed PrefPane and turn the Input Gain slider to zero and PCM to max.

- DSDT.aml

I used Damiens version.

- Kernel

I used the 10.6.2 kernel in Damiens post.

- Sleep (do this after installing the kernel)

I use NullCPUPowerManagement and SleepEnabler for 10.6.2

- Network problems

Bonjour didn't work for me, so I installed RealtekR1000.kext by Psystar (I hope mentioning this name isn't a huge problem)

After installing the custom kernel under a custom name, and setting it as default in Boot.plist. I just installed this, and nothing went wrong, except I had to remove AppleHDA.kext in single user mode.

Quick tip:

If you use Migration Assistant it might also copy your previously installed kexts. It doesn't overwrite anything, but it may conflict and cause kernel panics as it did for me. Boot in to single user mode and use "ls -lc | more" in /S/L/E to identify the just created kexts and remove them again.

Thanks guys for all the help, if you need anything from me, let me know!

• 1 month later...

Hi all-

I am currently running 10.6.5 on my D945GCLF2 successfully using the methods described in the above posts:

iATKOS S3 V2

Chameleon RC5

TeaTime 10.5.0 kernel for 10.6.5

DSDT.aml from first post

Recommended customizations for iATKOS install (important - don't install ANY RFC patch!)

RealtekR1000SL.kext in /Extra/Extensions

Everything is working except Sleep. I have tried NullCPUPowerManagement and SleepEnabler for 10.6.5: both, either, neither; when I try to put the board to sleep, the video and fans stay on.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

I upgraded to 10.6.5 by downloading the combo upgrade file and installing it. Once you install 10.6.5 upgrade combo and before rebooting replace the the IOUSBFamily.kext and the IOUSBMassStorage.kext from S/L/E with the corresponding kexts from 10.6.4 or you will loose the USB functions (copy them to where you can access them, the desktop is fine, before you upgrade, then use the kext utility to install them). Also remove the AppleHDA file installed by the upgrade. You should already have the kernel renamed, so will be using the previous kernel. With the latest VoodooHDA just about all functions of sound work.

Everything works on my machine. This are the kexts I have on /Extra/Extensions/: AppleIntelPIIXATA2.kext, Disabler.kext, EvOreboot.kext, fakesmc.kext, SleepEnabler.kext. I have VoodooHDA.kext in S/L/E/. Get the latest versions of VoodooHDA.kext and RTL1000.kext from kexts.com. RTL1000 comes as SnowR1000. You just double click and it installs. I installed the others during my initial install with iAtkos S3 V2. If anyone installs the latest versions of these other kexts, please post the results here.

I have a USB Realtek RTL8187L network interface and it works well with the driver from iATKOS S3 V2 which I installed during the initial install.

Shutdown works for me. The iATKOS install placed EvOreboot.kext in /Extra/Extensions - do you have that kext?

Are you using the BIOS settings from the first post?

Does sleep work for you?

I upgraded to 10.6.5 by downloading the combo upgrade file and installing it. Once you install 10.6.5 upgrade combo and before rebooting replace the the IOUSBFamily.kext and the IOUSBMassStorage.kext from S/L/E with the corresponding kexts from 10.6.4 or you will loose the USB functions (copy them to where you can access them, the desktop is fine, before you upgrade, then use the kext utility to install them). Also remove the AppleHDA file installed by the upgrade. You should already have the kernel renamed, so will be using the previous kernel. With the latest VoodooHDA just about all functions of sound work.

Everything works on my machine. This are the kexts I have on /Extra/Extensions/: AppleIntelPIIXATA2.kext, Disabler.kext, EvOreboot.kext, fakesmc.kext, SleepEnabler.kext. I have VoodooHDA.kext in S/L/E/.

Hi starop-

Interesting - I followed the method from teatime's video to upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.6.5. The 3 kexts that were preserved in the video did not include the USB kexts you mentioned - but I am using my USB keyboard/mouse/flash drive without any problems following the upgrade. I wonder if the difference is bios settings? Are you using the DSDT.aml from the first post?

I will try Disabler & SleepEnabler in /E/E again. The SleepEnabler.kext I found is supposedly for 10.6.5; I wonder if that is the problem. Where did you get your SleepEnabler?

Hi starop-

Interesting - I followed the method from teatime's video to upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.6.5. The 3 kexts that were preserved in the video did not include the USB kexts you mentioned - but I am using my USB keyboard/mouse/flash drive without any problems following the upgrade. I wonder if the difference is bios settings? Are you using the DSDT.aml from the first post?

I will try Disabler & SleepEnabler in /E/E again. The SleepEnabler.kext I found is supposedly for 10.6.5; I wonder if that is the problem. Where did you get your SleepEnabler?

You are right. My DSDT.aml was not loading, so that might be the reason why I had problems with USB. I will be upgrading another machine soon. I will try without replacing those kexts. As I said before, everything works on my machine with 10.6.5, except the mike input in the front and the fact that you have to manually switch the output source when you want to use the headphones jack in the front instead of using the line output. An interesting point is that everything indicates that the processor is running at 1.69 Ghz and not at 1.6 Ghz as is the original spec.. I do not know if that is the case. If anyone can verify this, please post.

You are right. My DSDT.aml was not loading, so that might be the reason why I had problems with USB. I will be upgrading another machine soon. I will try without replacing those kexts. As I said before, everything works on my machine with 10.6.5, except the mike input in the front and the fact that you have to manually switch the output source when you want to use the headphones jack in the front instead of using the line output. An interesting point is that everything indicates that the processor is running at 1.69 Ghz and not at 1.6 Ghz as is the original spec.. I do not know if that is the case. If anyone can verify this, please post.

Well, in order to get Sleep working, I ended up trying the Native Power Management approach from this thread. Following the directions, I installed Chameleon 2 RC 5 and modified com.apple.Boot.plist, and using the dsdt.aml that MaLdOn created for me (see page 44), sleep now works - both manual and automatic. Shutdown and Restart too! The only kext I have added is fakesmc.kext in /E/E.

With this dsdt.aml, the Sys Profiler says 1.60 GHz.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, in order to get Sleep working, I ended up trying the Native Power Management approach from this thread. Following the directions, I installed Chameleon 2 RC 5 and modified com.apple.Boot.plist, and using the dsdt.aml that MaLdOn created for me (see page 44), sleep now works - both manual and automatic. Shutdown and Restart too! The only kext I have added is fakesmc.kext in /E/E.

With this dsdt.aml, the Sys Profiler says 1.60 GHz.

Well done! Can you share the dsdt.aml file with us? Maybe a complete install how to using this method is in order.

Have anyone upgraded to 10.6.6 yet? Please post if you did.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bearing in mind we are at 10.6.7 now and the guide is well out of date can someone with a fully working retail solution post a full guide with DSDT and associated patches rather than a one line "Ive done it with XX and YY".

Thanks guys.

• 1 month later...

Hi Methanoid! Since my update to 10.6.8 did not work I started to look into doing a retail installation of SL. I found an easy, detailed guide with all the files needed for a retail installation of SL 10.6.7 on this board. Now Nozycsek have the guide for the installation of 10.6.8 at the same page. Please google "How to install Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on Intel D945GCLF2 Atom 330", which is the tittle of the guide written by Nozyczek. With the installation guide I was able to install 10.6.7 and then upgrade to 10.6.8 without problems, so I am sure the guide for 10.6.8 will work just as well. Good luck

Bearing in mind we are at 10.6.7 now and the guide is well out of date can someone with a fully working retail solution post a full guide with DSDT and associated patches rather than a one line "Ive done it with XX and YY".

Thanks guys.