D945GCLF2 Snow Leopard

248 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Have you guys managed to get past the boot?

If so - how did you get the installer to run... so far I've come across two issues...

1. That Chameleon wont run from a USB drive.. (it simple wont boot the drive)

2. When I run Chameleon on a physical drive and boot into the usb drive I get the error "Unsupported CPU" and a panic (followed by Mac OS Version : not yet set).

.. ideas? I thought I'd put nullpowermanagement.kext in the right folder and generated the cache but am I missing something here??

I agree too.

So our dsdt is very different from the standard.. so there's no way to inject ht like others.. because the only source into the net is to remove aliases in the PR objects.

Other thing: in acer to use full applecpupowermanagement I can load OSYS = Darwin = windows 2006 value (value changes for every mobo..) but here, we haven't any OSYS method.

I'm a little bit confused about the use (or not) of args: arch=i386

because I don't want to think that the problem is a combination of 2 or 3 mods: example:

-bios ht on + arch=i386 do a KP

but I suppose this is a wrong combination .. in theory! but 32bit and HT are 2 different things!

and.. I don't undrstand why the com.apple.boot.plist that snow reads is the one into Library/Preferences/System.... . and not the one in Extra folder.

Even If I use Chameleon2rc1+Efi10.1 the boot.plist in Extra is always not used! why?

Again: I'm afraid to use Chameleon 2 rc3 + efi 10.1 because in the net there's not experiences about it.. but in another italian topic about D945GCLF2 a man tells about efi 10.2.. did you test it? He says that EFI10.2 can help to boot in HT.

Another thing.. put those kexts into Extra/Extensions or in S/L/E is quite different.. because if you don't touch S/L/E you have always the safe that -after a future apple update- you have a good and untouched boot -thanks to having good kexts into E/E-..

If you talk about behaviour and responses of system using modded kexts into one or other folder.. my opinion is that is indifferent. The only difference is IF the kext has in the info.plist a particular requrement or dependencies.. so in the bottom you read -root- (most of the modded kexsts have it) and you know that those kexts can stay into E/E.. but not all of them! think i.e. about AppleIntegratedFrameBuffer.. it cannot be places in E/E.

The sleep is necessary, but you can't solve it only modding DSDT.. I read a dozen time dsdt.. I think that it cannot be upgraded and now is the best effort.. itt also has an injection for sleep but is only the power management.. the WAK generic trick .. tipical of every dsdt.. and the cut&paste of a generic PWRB code.

But the PWRB code is not necessary until you desire to see.. when you press the power button, the window SLEEP-STOP-RESTART-etc..

I prefer to press and immediately sleep.. so I didn't inject PWRB code.

Boot in verbose mode.. and in the forst 20 rows press the power button.. you read the kernel messages.. that shows that he's 'feeling' that you've touched it.

then .. it's running!

the sleep kext for me is necessary.. without it the pc cannot sleep. oh.. it sleeps.. thanks to dsdt.. but you see engine running.. the screen goes black.. but the fan go and go.. so it's not a real sleep. like in vista.. with sleepenabler you press.. 2 seconds and the system is stop. press a mouse.. or keyb or the power button.. the system raise! so.. why so much force to remove a very good and useful kext? keep it.. nobody kick you for it! :))

the real question is.. yes.. is a good idea to think to use as less modded kext and achieve a goal.. I have a snow running with few mods.. but the problem is:

are sleepenabler, openhalt and others.. really 64bit snow drivers?

are built for it or simple they're changed in the package to match to newer snow id code?

if so.. (and I don't know) maybe they can cause serious problems booting into true 64bit..

other question .. and If some people can boot in HT because they have downloaded the right kext.. and I'm using a snow kext.. but not good?

how can I verify it? In the forum there isn't today a good section for drivers in snow.. with they rel number and descriptions.

only sparse attachments.. since 1 month I got a lot of attachments.. so why so much mess in the net?!?!!

D945GCLF2 can work without SleepEnabler and OpenHaltRestart. That's proved with Leopard 10.5.5 & proper DSDT = mobo works out-of-the-box. Snow Leopard can't sleep because of faulty CPU power management. Even SATA and ATA drives go to sleep, along with display, but CPU not. We need P-States and C-States for Atom 330.

UUID is something like unique serial number of hard drive. By specifying UUID you tell OS X to boot from certain HDD and in your case you said that you want to boot from ugokind's disk, which of course is not present in your system.

How shutdown/reboot/sleep are working?

I've been trying to fix my time machine backup for the past two days, but as far as I can tell shutdown and reboot seem to be working fine. I'll test sleep in a bit when TM is working again.

Ok, I got my time machine backup sorted out. Transferred all my stuff to my SL HD, but it seems to have brought over many leopard kexts as well. I hunted down all the ones that were giving me problems but left the 4 listed by bcotnam.

- IOATAFamily.kext

- fakesmc.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- VoodooHDA.kext

After getting some permissions problems sorted out everything seems to work by booting arch=i386 and turning HT off.

Shutdown- works

Restart/sleep – does not work. Restart just shuts down, sleep shuts down everything except the motherboard, and I could not get the computer to resume (just had to restart it).

- Full resolution with dsdt.aml with some artifacts

- Audio and LAN work fine.

This might be due to the migration from leopard, but I can not get Time Machine to work. It keeps saying “waiting for backup” and when I select “back up now” it does nothing. This might be due to me replacing the IONetworkingFamily.kext in leopard with one from TOH release (as per this thread ).

I have Gigabyte board, but also P945 based with same Realtek NIC and sound chipset.

I am using latest Chameleon 2.0 RC3, and have only fakesmc.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /Extra/Extension so far. Everything works fine in general, just no sound but i will handle this later + only shutdown works. Restart not yet.

I do not need IOATAFamily.kext or any other IDE/SATA kext.

BTW. If you are using two ethernet adapters, can you try to replicate this issue:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188012 ?

One thing I am not sure about.

I edit some DSDT and now AppleLPC.kext loads. But I can see it not just under LPCB device but under some other devices too. Also I have SMBus and Memory Controller used without any drivers.

Question is:

what is North Bridge and what device is South Bridge?

is that a general question or relative about that motherboard?

Schema_chipsatz.png

AFAIK

SLeepenabler.kext came about because of a system change that came out in 10.5.8

Prior to this, no one needed this kext, I don't even think it was created prior to this. However, after 10.5.8, most do, though not everyone.

For me, I don't consider this a huge issue, just leave Sleepenabler.kext in /E/E and it will work in both 32 & 64 bit. Your vanilla install will remain untouched.

HT was also disabled with the release of 10.5.7, a change in the kernel I believe. I don't think apple will be fixing this =/

Same goes with OpenHaltRestart, it's a pretty standard kext, can run off /E/E, it just works.

Also, what is the purpose of AppleRTC.kext?

As for setting 32bit in /L/P/SysConfig/ boot.plist, you can do this through the boot.plist under /E/E and thus leaving the rest of the system/install untouched.

As for SMBIOS.plist in /E/E have you tried setting the device as something else? I believe you have set it as a Mac Book Air?

ugokind and DamienValentine:

What dsdt fixes have you implemented into your dsdt?

Lastly, I'm guessing 64bit should work, without HT Of course. I believe all it needs is proper 64bit kexts, which I'm not sure all the ones being mentioned in this thread are. Has anyone tried the ATA kexts Cham 2 installs to see if they work in 64bit? This could remove the need to modify the stock IOATAFamily.kext.

I will try an install and report back.

Oh, and I do recommend to install Chameleon 2 RC3, and to install it in it's own partition. So you can make changes easier. So if a kext isn't letting you boot, you can make changes through the system, or even from another running machine, and the install will be left completely vanilla.

I tried to apply all the dsdt as possible.. but very few I've applied.

apart from the irq trick, wak trick, hpet and pr scope.. I merged the gma video and pwrb..

the problem is that this dsdt is very far from the standard

no standard name.. no position to inject sata, ehci etc..

sob

I'm trying to boot with a USB drive, which has Snow restored onto it, with Cham 2 RC3.

So far can't get it to boot, KP related to ACPI... I used all of ugokind's files. Made sure I have HT disabled. Don't know what to try atm...

I used this same usb drive to intall onto my desktop.

Oh and did make sure to put the right uuid into boot.plist of usb /extra folder. Also tried putting it as the SMUUID key in SMBIOS.plist.

EDIT:

So I used the same dsdt, ugokind's, and gfx does indeed work OOB with Leopard too. I installed the standard kexts that I know I need, but for some reason Sleep didn't work. This was on 10.5.8.

gah

The system slept fine when it ran iAtkos distro! =/

Currently my DSDT has fixes for HPET, RTC, TMR, PEGP and has injected LAN along with some minor cosmetics - I try to pass all information I get from IOReg and lspci to DSDT. I downgrade back to Leopard 10.5.5 to test DSDT and now I am trying to fix LPC, SMBus and MHC. In Leopard 10.5.5 AppleLPC.kext loads and I got sleep, restart, shutdown without any additional kexts. In Snow Leopard AppleLPC.kext doesn't contain any information about ICH7 and trick with injecting device-id works but gives "AppleLPC: RCBA not enabled" warning on boot.

Also in MacBook's DSDT processors have names CPU0-CPU3 and numbers 0x00-0x03. We have CPU0-CPU3 and 0x01-0x04 in our DSDT. When you change that processor section to start from 0x00 then you will get different KP.

So I want to describe all devices in my DSDT, change _SB scope and see what Leopard 10.5.5 says. Then I will try this DSDT in Windows 7 to see if this works and then I will flash DSDT straight into BIOS.

After will be moving forward.

I will post my DSDT today after modification will be done. Stay in touch.

Reallly need more info on a usb install method =/

DamienValentine: No embedded gfx in dsdt?

This board does not have AHCI, I do not see the need for IOACHIBlockStorageInjector, or IOAHCIPortInjector (IOAHCIShow?) or any of the other ATA kexts, JMicron, ATAInjector, etc.

I am trying to get it to boot with AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext in /E/E of usb drive. Still KP's no matter what.

How did you guys manage a boot? I know OP mentions an altered retail disc, but what other methods are you guys using?

GFX is injected in DSDT. I mentioned PEGP, its something like PCI Express Graphics Port(?). My GFX lives under this section in PCI0 scope.

As for booting from USB - I have no ideas, haven't tested yet. I boot from SATA hard drive with IOATAFamily.kext attached in first post. And thats all. Also Chameleon RC3 doesn't work for me, but RC2 runs very well.

I just plugged ASUS WL-138G V2 Wi-Fi PCI card - works out-of-the-box in both Leopard and Snow Leopard, no DSDT patching or extra kexts needed. And that's good :P.

As for HPET - ACPI Specification 3.0 is not saying where it lives, ACPI 4.0 neither.

I have two ideas. First - our mom is super new and HPET lives where it should. Second - our motherboard is very old, so HPET is supported through legacy LPC.

Will add some cosmetics to DSDT and release it in couple of hours.

I'm check dsdt from other matherboard, based on ich7, i945 and Atom 270 from GB and Aopen. In all HPET live under LPC. HPET - no PCI device. I can't check my dsdt today, but i check it tomorrow.

About PEGP port: check your ioreg, gfx driver attached to your gfx or pegp device :P?

DamienValentine:

I'm sorry, I don't think I quite get how you installed. You installed from another partition on the drive? or from an existing install? I don't understand how you implemented the IOATAFamily kext into it, and got it to boot for an install.

I described this in first post. Maybe that was not very good description because my native language is not English. Nevermind, will try again. So I take Snow OSX Universal DVD, boot from this DVD and create one entire partition on GUID hard drive. Then I go to Terminal to check if the first partition is marked active. Both Terminal and Disk Utility can be accessed from Utilities menu in OS X Installer, you know. Well, then I install system as usual, choosing NullCPUPowerManagement and Snow_bootloader in Customize list. After that I need to reboot and proceed with registration and so on, after watching Welcome video, you should know where that part is. Now the main trick. After reboot you will have active partition, bootloader and no KP thanks to NullCPUPM but you cannot boot because of "Still waiting for root device". Thats where I just unplug my hard drive, connect it to another working machine and replace IOATAFamily.kext with the one posted in 1 post of the topic. And thats all. Unplug hard drive, put it back, walla :)

Oh yes. GMA950 driver attached to GFX0 device. The path is PCI0@0 > PEGP > GFX0.

And one more thing. Changing CPU numeration to start from 0 instead of 1 gives... 8 logical cores!!! I mean 4 as usual, but two times. And that's where I get nothing, not even kernel panic. Tested on Leopard 10.5.5. With 10.6.1 this should result in KP with Unsupported processor or something like that, will find out today.

I take it the "Snow OSX Universal DVD" is a patched image, acting as a distro?

Well, I am using a full retail image, and it won't boot with basic kexts. i.e. fakesmc, NullCPUPowerMangement, OHR, etc...

Just panics at IOATAFamily, I tried netkas AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, but still does not boot. I cannot install if I can't boot the retail image =/

Thanks for the clarification though.

I chose distro because I want to tweak a fully working system like Leopard 10.5.5 was and then move to retail. I suppose you try to boot from restored image and you try to change kexts on a USB drive. I attached IOATAFamily in first post, but these one is from Leopard 10.5.8 and contains ApplePIIXATA.kext as a plugin. It works for me but I added this after DSDT patching (before that I used ApplePIIXATA and IOATAFamily from iDeneb Leopard 10.5.5), so if you do things in other order then it might not work.

I have tried FakeSMC V2 and PC EFI 10.3 from Netkas. Both work very well, no crashes, but some error messages in logs still persist. Like SMC or _CST error messages. Error 35, of course. I have no UUID injected. Also there are some rumors about seven decrypted kexts that can eliminate the need of dsmos or fakeSMC.

EDIT: I started from scratch and installed Leopard 10.5.5 with my current DSDT. Then moved to 10.5.6 with new installation, not upgrade, and then moved to 10.5.7. I always use latest bootloader and decrypter and nothing more. Now I boot 10.5.7 with cpus=3 parameter and have shutdown, sleep, 3 cores. AppleLPC.kext refused to load out-of-the-box so I just injected my id into Info.plist to make it load. Without this trick sleep doesn't works. I lied - works even if kext is not loaded; kextstat told me it was not.

Now I will try to turn on all 4 cores. After that will install Windows 7 to see overall performance and to find out more information about system devices and dump their ids and locations. Then will edit DSDT and move to 10.5.8.

EVEN MORE EDIT: Couple hours ago I flashed my BIOS - replaced firmware version LF94510J.86A.0140.2008.1231.0012 with LF94510J.86A.0229.2009.0729.0209. I guess 2008.1231 and 2009.0729 are release dates and 0140 and 0229 are versions. So now I will extract DSDT again to see changes if any.

P.S. Also, Windows 7 runs out-of-the-box with all devices installed, setup takes about 17 minutes and everything runs unbelievably smoothly.