Gigabyte G31M-ES2C with Snow Leopard installed and running

smcpipint

9 posts in this topic

Got Snow up and running on my Gigabyte G31M-ES2C, and thought I'd post some brief notes on how.

The Gigabyte G31M-ES2C is mostly the same as the GA-G31M-ES2L, so I mostly followed the guide here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181699 - I'll just focus on differences in procedure. The process I followed was:

1. Get the initial Snow Leopard install done - there are lot of ways to do this; Boot-132, Memory sticks, separate partitions, etc. Just choose one based on what you have available. I took the easy way, and used an existing Leopard system to do an install to a SATA drive in an USB enclosure from a standard Apple Retail DVD. The USB part for no reason other than that was the path of least resistance.

2. I then modified the installation (prior to booting it!), by:

a. installing fakeSMC.kext, Openhaltrestart.kext(the 64 bit version) and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext into /System/Library/Extensions. All these kexts are from the post above.

b. Installing Chameleon-2.0-r431. Note I installed manually, from the .bin file - I couldn't get the installer to work.

c. Replaced the boot file with the 64 bit one from the post above.

d. Added a com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra, copied from the previous 10.5.8 install on the same box, with an EFI string for the display.

e. Adding a patched DSDT file. (patched for the CMOS reset bug).

3. Once I had the mods to the install done, I installed the SATA drive as a SATA drive, in connector 0, as some guides suggest that you can get KPs if the drive is not on zero.

4. Booted with -f -v. Note that at least one guide suggest not using -f; my experience was that not using -f results in KPs

5. That booted fine, but no network - the G31M-ES2C uses a Realtek Lan chip not supported out of the box. I then installed the Realtek 32-bit driver from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...181133&st=0

6. The Realtek driver doesn't work with 64 bit, so I added the -x32 string to the kernel flags in com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra. (Note, I'm happy running 32 bit - by default, as I read the Apple docs, all Snow Leopard retail installs run 32-bit by default; only Server runs 64)

7. Reboot, and working.

Working: QE/CI, networking, shutdown, Bonjour, etc, etc, no KPs over about 8 hours (so far) of operation

Not yet paid any attention to: Audio

Not working: Sleep (don't care, don't use it)

• 3 weeks later...

How exactly did you get bonjour working with this mb's Realtek chipset? I have installed using the same process... I have sound (Voodoo HDA - ALC883 resulted in a Kernel Panic), PS2 mouse and Keyboard works, Lan works using either Realtek 1000.kext or the Realtek official drivers from the Realtek web-site. (The same thing IMO). But bonjour won't work! I have tried the ipconfig command in Terminal to enable promiscuous mode, but no luck.

I can connect to the internet using a PPPoE setup where I use my username and password, but don't trust this as my network usage shown in the Activity Monitor is extreme. Within a minute of connecting using PPPoE, it shows 4mb of downloaded packets - that without even using a browser and continues running infinately.

I would prefer to get bonjour working and hope you know something that I may have overlooked. I did go to the link in your post regarding this chipset, but that thread kind of goes around in circles.

Please help...

Oh, forgot to mention... I am booting using the 32-bit kernel. I am using the -x32 Kernel flag in com.apple.Boot.plist (Using BootThink Darwin Bootlaoder) as I need to be in 32 bit mode for Sound and Lan to work. Does not work at all using 64 bit kernel. (Although that is not a major concern, as 32-bit is supposed to be default anyway (Some argue the facts, but I am comfortable with what apple do by default ... they must have their reasons) When I used the Chameleon 2 RC3 bootloader and used arch=i386 to get away from the forced 64 bit default kernel, booting would hang ... in -v mode ... "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin wait for service ..... applecpupowermanagement. etc... timed out" even when using Nullpowercpu and disabler kexts (without kernel panic IMA ... just sits waiting indefinitely)

Please help a mac-gurl to get Bonjour working properly//////

Regarding Bonjour -

This may, or may not be relevant, but I recall that on the (very similar) GA-G31-MF running 10.5.x, you can get Bonjour by assigning a static IP (rather than DHCP) for the nic.

With greetings from Athens.

I'm just using the Psytar 32 bit driver; Bonjour worked oob. No ipconfigs, static IPs or anything.

You are right. It does work using Psystar's kext. I added dns server address manually and bonjour connects now. Weird though, as Leopard would automatically asign the dns from the router settings. Small detail.... but it works.

• 2 months later...

Hi to all;

I recently purchased the same mother board GA-G31M-ES2C with Rev 2.0, could you kindly tell me which version of BIOS you are using. I am unable to install OSX 10.6, the installer hangs up at 90%.

Can any one of you provide me the necessary BIOS settings required to run the OSX 10.6

Thanks in advance