Asus P5Q (including P5QL-Pro) series Guide to Install OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Retail

132 posts in this topic

My version based on quaza's method.

It is very easy to install Snow Leopard retail on Asus P5QL-Pro. Everything works fine including audio, graphics, lan ...

Before you start anything. Read the posts for os x leopard 10.5 retail installation here and here. You will find infos on bios hack for Asus P5Q series mobos, and installation tips for leopard 10.5. You need a working os x leopard partition.

0. In the Bios enable acpi 2.0 without this option enabled I think You will have miserable efforts to boot into Snow Leopard. You can find this option under the power management tab > ACPI 2.0 support. I assure you if you do not enable it your newly installed will kernel panic at startup. So ENABLE IT.

1. Do the usual partitioning, and snow leopard restoring to a partition thing using disk utility (it is discussed in many topics. The idea is to have three partitions. My config is: One guid disk with two partitions, and an additional guid disk with one partition. One partition serves for containing the restored Snow leopard disk installer).

2. Open up a finder window of the disc or partition where the Snow Leopard installer is. Go to Finder:Go:Go to folder

copy this into the the opening field>

system/Installation/Packages

Start the installation using the OSInstall.mpkg file.

3. Install only the core system

4. After setup has finished its job, make sure not to restart your computer.

5. Install Chameleon bootloader 2. rc2 (Download link is here), be careful installing it to the newly installed snow leopard partition

6. Downloaad the package quaza has provided, it contains all the kexts you need. I provide here the pack of quaza P5Q_SL_Final.zip (I've taken out the bootloader folder which is chameleon 2 ..., just download it from its site.)

7. Download MuCommander from versiontracker

8. Download kekthelperb7

9. In Mucommander copy the boot file quaza has provided to the root of the newly installed snow leopard partition.

10. Likewise copy the four files from Extensions Extra 64Bits & 32Bits to extra:extensions on this new partition.

11. It is time to restart

12. In the bios set your primary boot disk to the one which contains this new Snow Leopard install.

13. When your bootloader starts press F8. If you are quick you will see the command line. Enter here:

"Graphics Mode"="640x480x32"

It will effectively skip the setup assistant with an error message (saying that It can not use setup assistant at this small resolution). If you have a newer graphics card it is a must to do, becouse a neverending loop can occur with the setup assistant. I am not sure but it was the case with leopard.

14. Snow leopard will boot into its gui, now in small resolution. Do not panic. This method gives you the super duper user access, not setting up a usual user with setup assistant. Just restart.

15. This second time boot, the setup assistant won't show up, Snow leopard boots into the gui. Probably 1024x768. In system preferences : user account create a password for yourself. Fire up kexthelper7b. Drag and drop the 3 kexts from quaza Extensions System 64Bits & 32Bits to the window, enter your password and push easy install.

16. Fire up efistudio from quaza's pack, choose your efi string for your videocard. Mine is 9800 gt 512 mb it needs 8800 gt 512 mb efi string to work. I suggest you to search this theme before choosing your efistring, unfortunately apple does not provide all the drivers, but there are identical chips under different names. Push write to boot.apple....

17. Restart

18. Et voala > You have a fully working Snow Leopard 64 bit system.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Alternatively you can use osx86tools to install the 3 kexts. In this case after Snow Leopard installer had finished its job, do not restart yet, follow the steps to point 10. After that, open up osx86tools choose install kexts, choose the 3 kexts from quaza Extensions System 64Bits & 32Bits, choose the target snow leopard partition. Now you can reboot, in bios choose your snow leopard drive, and start normally without any options entered at bootloader startup. Setup Assistant opens, use it, in my case (I've tried this method too) video was default 1024x678, sound was ok. When snow leopard gui is loaded use efistudio for your videocard as detailed above in step 16. And hopefully all would be ok.

Thank you very much - great guide even osx86 noobs like me can understand! :-)

However I've got a (small?!) question... you wrote about the default osx GUID partitioning... however when I want to be able to dual boot into Windows (Win7 in my case) I have to resort to standard plain old MBR partitioning, right? Is this currently not (yet) possible with Snow Leopard? Or what would I have to do (patch/install) to be able to achieve this? Would it be very different to your guide?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thx a lot!

PS: I guess besides that the guide should work with a P5Q Pro too, right? (I already flashed it with the newest patched BIOS by juzzi)

However I've got a (small?!) question... you wrote about the default osx GUID partitioning... however when I want to be able to dual boot into Windows (Win7 in my case) I have to resort to standard plain old MBR partitioning, right? Is this currently not (yet) possible with Snow Leopard? Or what would I have to do (patch/install) to be able to achieve this? Would it be very different to your guide?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thx a lot!

I am not an expert in this, I have mac systems only, but probably you will find usable infos here: chameleonlink.zip.

PS: I guess besides that the guide should work with a P5Q Pro too, right? (I already flashed it with the newest patched BIOS by juzzi)

All the P5Q systems should work using this guide, as quaza and others srtesses this fact in his topic. This guide is basically the same as his, except I hate using terminal, so I've changed his method to a more graphical one.

I am not an expert in this, I have mac systems only, but probably you will find usable infos here: chameleonlink.zip.

All the P5Q systems should work using this guide, as quaza and others srtesses this fact in his topic. This guide is basically the same as his, except I hate using terminal, so I've changed his method to a more graphical one.

Ok thanks.. I'll search the Chameleon Site for infos on this...

Normally I'm using terminal/command line for nearly everything but I'm totally new to OS-X and it's all a little overwhelming in the beginning in regard to installation/boot/setup/bios settings patches etc.

I tried this method here for my Asus P5Q Pro with Ati HD 3870, but no matter what I do everything ends into a similar Kernel Panic like that one from XLR:

I had this same problem at first, but enabling ahci 2.0 support in the bios solved this problem.

Make sure your disk containing sl is partitioned in guid scheme, otherwise it won't boot anything. Follow strictly all the steps mentioned, and study the links.

I had this same problem at first, but enabling ahci 2.0 support in the bios solved this problem.

Make sure your disk containing sl is partitioned in guid scheme, otherwise it won't boot anything. Follow strictly all the steps mentioned, and study the links.

Ok, thanks. I got much further because I have strictly followed all your steps.

However before getting to the Setup Assistant or anything like that it hangs here:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(IntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Does somebody get this too or know how to avoid this?

Just for the record: I've tried to boot up by using -F -x -x32 already.

Ok, thanks. I got much further because I have strictly followed all your steps.

However before getting to the Setup Assistant or anything like that it hangs here:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(IntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

Does somebody get this too or know how to avoid this?

Just for the record: I've tried to boot up by using -F -x -x32 already.

Juzzi posted bios settings for asus p5q series. He shows the correct settings for time out for ahci and other things. I posted his page.

Juzzi posted bios settings for asus p5q series. He shows the correct settings for time out for ahci and other things. I posted his page.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately Juzzi bios settings hasn't helped either.

I am using his newest BIOS for P5Q Pro as well.

It's called:

"2102-BIOS-Asus_P5Q_PRO_for_MAC_OS_X_%26_VISTA_Slic_all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM"

Thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately Juzzi bios settings hasn't helped either.

I am using his newest BIOS for P5Q Pro as well.

It's called:

"2102-BIOS-Asus_P5Q_PRO_for_MAC_OS_X_%26_VISTA_Slic_all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM"

Try disabling onboard devices (audio, lan, paralell port ...). Beyond these I do not know what could help.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanna say that its fully working here

at this moment this is been written @ the Snow leopard Retail version 10.6.1

Full 64 bit Snow leopard pussycat

my advise is just follow this damn beautiful guide

Its all working

None of this is not true in fact

its so {censored} simple

Just use your head en experience

And wanna thanx in specially proceduralmind and quaza's

its so {censored} easy for the P5Q(L) Pro series

Some screenshots:

post-289756-1253712002_thumb.png

post-289756-1253712218_thumb.png

post-289756-1253712316_thumb.png

post-289756-1253711681_thumb.png

VIDEO!!

Gr,BenG

• 2 weeks later...

I follow exactly your guide but every time I get the kernel panic ;)

Its allways the same.. I install leo and chameleon, copy those 4 kextes. restart and get into leo with "Graphics Mode"=... but after restart every time f**** kernel panic.

I tried with 3 different retail versions, and a leo server. I flashed my Bios over again.

of course AHCI and ACPI support is enabled.

with -x no kernel panic and i can log in into leo with high resolution.

what should i do? any suggestion??

p5q pro

E3110 ( similar to E8400)

3x1TB SATA HDs

1 IDE DVD-ROM

EN 8600 GT

and this doesnt help:

Now you need options [s3] and ACPI2 of activated. Warning some P5Q XXX do not have these options but this does not necessarily pose problems. But for those who have the option not to forget them. To avoid KernelPanic in the advanced settings processor bios, disabled the C1E Support, Max CPUID Value Limit, CPU TM function, Execute Disable Bit, Intel ® SpeedStep ™. Normally it will solve many problems. Just let Intel ® Virtualization Tech to Parallels Desktop for example.

post-329473-1254479161_thumb.jpg

Hi!

I have got some problem in Step 13. After typing "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" and a few seconds of booting is, my monitor switch off. I have got NVidia GTX 260. It is a problem this drivers of graphic card?

Best Regards

Djon

I have iDeneb installed on my P5QL-PRO

will this working installation be able to work to install SL?

Also i am a little confused with what do do with my partitions, i am currently running iDeneb on a 160GB drive, what should i be doing?

Do i just download any SlowLeopard retail ISO?

Hi,

i just bougth p5ql pro.

thanks for the guide an the kexts.

unfortunatlely lan is not beeing racognized, this ist really unnerving.

Does anyone know probably why this can happen?

I placed the kext, it loads, but not lan hardware available.

M

i only can boot on 32 bit,i can't boot 64.help

if i try to boot 64 bit i have this message:

help!!!i enabled ACPI 2.0,ecc,ecc

i have it working, at this point the system hangs for approximately 35 Seconds-

don't know if you have been patient enough?

It doesn't do ANYTHING, but then suddenly starts the welcome screen.

Can't find a solution yet.

M

I have iDeneb installed on my P5QL-PRO

will this working installation be able to work to install SL?

Also i am a little confused with what do do with my partitions, i am currently running iDeneb on a 160GB drive, what should i be doing?

Do i just download any SlowLeopard retail ISO?

just create another partition or take another HD and give it a try-

chameleon will show you both systems to choose from when booting.

so don't worry, just give it a try!

m

I have P5QL Pro with working MacOS 10.5.7 (10.5.4 Retail upgraded to 10.5.7)

My HDD has three partitions: MacOS(system), RETAIL IMAGE(with restored SL installation) and DATA(for everything else). I haven't installed PC EFI V9 or Chameleon for booting from HDD yet, I'm still using flash drive with Boot 132. 

My problem - I can't start the installation of SL (ACPI functions are on), it freezes on loading.

What SL image should I use(now it is Build 10A432)? Do I need doing anything to my partitions? I don't want to use any other OS on this computer. Can you give me some links about guid partitioning?

I followed this guide and everything works well except it won't wake up from sleep. I have a USB mouse and Mac keyboard. What i doing wrong? Is this to do with my BIOS settings?

Thanks in advance :wacko:

Oh, it recognises my CPU as a core 2 solo (not Duo) any ideas?

Thanks alot! The first, and only guide that worked for me. and only took about 30 minutes. absolutly great!

but first my system wasn't recognized right. i used the new rc3 cameleon bootloader and an modified smbios.plist - that worked! now it runs like a charm. only my processors-name isn't the right one. it shows up "quad core xeon" in cause that there core 2 quad were never build in a real mac.

xbench score without disk is about 210. iam happy :(

note: i notified that, if you dont use those things i do, you will boot in Snow Leopard 32-bit! after i was done with all those things it boots to 64bit itself.

post-91568-1255639528_thumb.jpg

i have it working, at this point the system hangs for approximately 35 Seconds-

don't know if you have been patient enough?

It doesn't do ANYTHING, but then suddenly starts the welcome screen.

Can't find a solution yet.

M

just create another partition or take another HD and give it a try-

chameleon will show you both systems to choose from when booting.

so don't worry, just give it a try!

m

I have a P5QL-PRO and i get this massages when i start in verbose mode

[[wait for service (resourcematching)AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) Timed out]]

somebody knows the solution??

SPECS :

MB P5QL-Pro

GFX : ATI SAPHIRE 3870 512MB

2x OCZ REAPERS 2024

I have a P5QL-PRO and i get this massages when i start in verbose mode

[[wait for service (resourcematching)AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) Timed out]]

somebody knows the solution??

SPECS :

MB P5QL-Pro

GFX : ATI SAPHIRE 3870 512MB

2x OCZ REAPERS 2024

I have a new videocard a Saphire 4870 1024MB because the 3870 is not suported anymore :D I think this was the problem in Snow Leopard

I keep you posted!

Hi all,

great howto so far but i fail everytime. I installed everything out of a Leopard copied the kexts over and installed bootloader 2RC3 but when i reboot i got the KP of death shown very often in this Thread.

I allready patched my bios with the 0902 vom Juzzie for all OS and VISTA slic. And enabled ACPI 2.0 in the Bios.

My Hardware:

board: Asus p5ql-pro

graka: Asus 9600GT

hdd: Samsung ssd 64gig

Any help is appreciated ;).

Greetings