Logitech Control Center

Beerkex'd

15 posts in this topic

I set -x32 permanently in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and now I get a kernel panic immediately when booting in verbose mode. Booting non-verbose works fine!

I don't understand why it would do that, I thought the only thing -v did was show what's loading but there must be something else going on that makes it crash.

I'm using Chameleon 2.0 RC1 with the PCIEFI v10 boot file from Netkas, installed to the EFI partition. It's not anything in /Extra/Extensions, it does the same thing with only fakesmc.kext there and with no modifications in /S/L/E.

If I remove the -x32 kernel flag it boots up in full 64-bit mode with -v just fine.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Vanilla 10.6 on ASUS P5Q-E, as in my signature.

Thanks for the help doc, I can boot with -v now.

For anyone else with the same problem, it's probably a good idea to do this first before rebuilding Extensions.mkext in /Extra:

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

It rebuilds the extensions cache on your installation drive.

Now...if anyone has any tips on getting the effing Logitech Control Center installer to run...

Yeah?

I used to have it enabled but I've kept it disabled since installing 10.5.6 retail.

10.6 works fine without it enabled as well. No panics after following the good doctor's advice.

Can you give me any other good reasons why I should enable it?

• 4 weeks later...

If you want to completely bork your system, go ahead and install that {censored} LCC software from logicrap.

I installed it on my otherwise perfectly running copy of OSX 10.6.1 and my MX1000 was all over the place, buttons were being pressed like no tomorrow with all sorts of consequences.

So i used the uninstall program... and my problems only got worse... MUCH WORSE...

I obviously had to reboot and about a minute after being fully booted... kernel panic...

I mean, what the hell ? Did logicrap even test this {censored} software ? I've recommended this company to so many people it's ridiculous. I will personally NEVER buy a logitech mouse again because of this single incident. Having read so many horror stories after searching for LLC kernel panic, isn't helping either.

Any similar stories and possible ways to revert this drama ?

• Like 1

LOL

I think LCC is the most unstable driver software I've ever used.

I own a 7 year old white (now slightly yellow) 'Cordless Access' mouse and keyboard set with both Apple and Windows keys. None of the special function keys work in Vista or Windows 7 (there's no software support for it - funny thing is at least the sleep and volume buttons used to work fine in XP without the software installed) but they're fine in OSX, which is nice. The control panel allows me to configure all the special keys etc etc.

I've been using LCC since 10.5.1 over two motherboards and two different CPUs and it has never consistently worked right. One consistent "feature" I can think of is that F-Lock is always OFF when coming out of S3 sleep.

LCC has never been trouble free on OSX, from drivers suddenly unloading themselves out of nowhere, to one version that would randomly only detect the keyboard, to another version that just plain didn't work with my Logitech hardware at all! It seems that each new version has it's own bugs and peculiarities.

I never really got mad about it because I always assumed that it was partly a hackintosh compatibility issue. I did send an email to Logitech one time about that version that didn't work at all. To their credit, the following release worked.

One thing that makes me go WTF with each new release is the control panel - first you have to click on a device and THEN click the configure button to get to its settings. DUH. Just let me click the device itself and get it over with! I'm starting to sympathize with those annoying OSX interface purist types.

post-188427-1254284091_thumb.png

Compared to what I've come to expect, the latest LCC works well on 10.6.1 (32-bit) - it has only stopped working once so far. Then I plugged the receiver into another USB port and it came back up. This has never worked before, usually when it drops out I've had to plug in another USB keyboard and reboot, so that's an improvement at least..

Also, this is the first version I've seen that does this:

9/29/09 22:06:51 kernel Backtrace 0x4ff2a8 0x4fefee 0x3624b466 0x36244ac4 0x3624afca 0x3624af25 0x3624ae62

9/29/09 22:06:51 kernel Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

9/29/09 22:06:51 kernel com.Logitech.Control Center.HID Driver(3.1.0)@0x36238000->0x3625efff

9/29/09 22:06:51 kernel dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(3.7.8)@0x353a2000

9/29/09 22:06:51 kernel dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOHIDFamily(1.6.0)@0x35b08000

9/29/09 22:06:51 kernel dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBHIDDriver(3.7.5)@0x35d83000

9/29/09 22:06:51 kernel Trying to change a collection in the registry

..repeating eight times on each boot.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it keeps doing that.

/EDIT yep that's a new bug in the drivers. Not a Hackintosh issue:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/Darwin-dri...p/msg00015.html

The sad news is, can you believe that I've just TODAY bought a spanking new Logitech Cordless Wave keyboard and mouse set (OSX/Windows) in my native language which will arrive here in the third world around December. I'm hoping LCC will be more stable with recent hardware, but maybe that's asking for too much.

I am not normally one to get easily upset, but come on. This is Logitech we're talking about, top dollar stuff and the software to go with my 200 dollar keyboard and 150 dollar mouse is not even worthy of the name alpha. Let alone beta or release candidate.

What baffles me even more is that simple software like steermouse works flawless even though i'm sure the developmentteam at Steermouse is not even half as big as the dev team in Logitechs camp. On the other hand...

But having seen how much trouble LCC has created through all different versions of OSX for god knows how many people, i surely won't be recommending them to anyone anymore. Just wondering what i will go with next time though.

Anyways, back on topic. I've managed to get into 32bit mode and reinstall the damn driver. Rebooted (64bit mode) and uninstalled as my mouse, once again, was all over the place again. Rebooted and installed Steermouse again.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyways, back on topic. I've managed to get into 32bit mode and reinstall the damn driver. Rebooted (64bit mode) and uninstalled as my mouse, once again, was all over the place again. Rebooted and installed Steermouse again.

Yep, tried 64-bit mode and had to uninstall the Logitech drivers. The left mouse button was selecting and clicking stuff on its own. It's ridiculous.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah it comes with an uninstaller. Look in Applications or Utilities, I don't remember where it is (I'm in Windows right now)

FWIW I got my new wireless Logitech Wave mouse/keyboard combo and it's very nice. Well it's nice in Windows 7. The Logitech Setpoint software has an outdated looking interface but I like its simplicity and the features. It will take some time getting used to the layout. It feels good to type on but I'm not sure how much of an enhanced experience I'm really getting from the 'wave' design. it sure looks cool though.

in Snow Leopard, the LCC issues and bugs are the same as with the old keyboard/mouse. I didn't try 64-bit mode yet but it's a pretty safe bet that it will suck just as hard as it did with the old hardware.

Also (this is not a new issue, just forgot to mention it earlier) the country setting doesn't stick, how annoying is that! Sometimes it is even grayed out and I'm unable to select it. This means that the layout suddenly changes to the default layout for keyboards from my country, imagine that. There's a feature in OS X where you can have different layouts activated automatically based on which app is running in the foreground, it's probably related to that somehow. Guess I'll just do my typing in Windows.

The mouse that comes with the Wave is annoyingly 'light' compared to the old mouse, it seems to fly around on the table in my hand. I don't know if it's a normal experience for people when moving from wheel mouse to a laser mouse but I'm thinking of taping a couple of 1R$ coins or something else to the inside in order to give it some weight. A plus point is that the mouse has an off button so that it doesn't waste battery when it's not in use, as long as you remember to press it. Well that's probably standard on wireless mice nowadays.

• 5 months later...

Logitech Control Center works perfectly fine for me in full 64-bit mode.

Since getting everything to work in 64-bit mode all issues but one have disappeared - it still doesn't remember my keyboard's country setting but I suspect that's not LCC's fault.

No error messages when booting with -v and no funny business, it just works.