EP45-UD3P Retail Method

unixman84

149 posts in this topic

haha, it's not magic. Just an editable pkg installer I customized to this build or any other build for that matter. I'll upload it soon.

If someone has developer tools installed. I need an output from ioregistryexplorer. Be sure to have your onboard nics enabled in bios. Just post the file to a rapidshare link or something in this thread.

-Stell

If someone has developer tools installed. I need an output from ioregistryexplorer. Be sure to have your onboard nics enabled in bios. Just post the file to a rapidshare link or something in this thread.

-Stell

Are you able to link the guide you used to make all these DSDT changes, or maybe write one of your own?

I am on a Radeon 3870 HD so that DSDT would be of little use to me ^_^

Regards, es9hf.

I followed all the instructions using two separate drives. After I get past chameleon and type in my verbose command I get stuck on the following screen. Can you see what might be causing the problem for me?

post-29845-1251962880_thumb.jpg

Yes I have exactly this same thing happening. *scratching head*

-Stell

Here you go Stell. http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1320728/EP45-UD3P.ioreg.zip

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P ATX

Processor: 2.66ghz Q9400 Intel Core 2 Quad

Memory: 4GB OCZ DDR2 VU1066MHz

DVD Drive: 22x Samsung SATA DVD Burner

Video Card: 512mb eVGA Nvidia 8800GT Superclocked

Ethernet: Edimax EN-9230TX-32

Audio: Terratec Phase26 USB

I was able to install Snow Leo on this board, i just want to know if your mic is working, the system profiler does recognize the in-put but when i plug the microphone in there is no sound....sorry, i'm not sure if this is kext related issue or DSDT editing (i used the UD3R DSDT, but i did modify it for my network card) Hope you could help me. :)

post-192037-1252049854_thumb.png

I have used the -v -x32 swithch and I have had the same issues with the "Mac OS Version Not Yet Set" kp. The kext fly by too fast to read and the screen flips (blue background with Chamelon boot loader) to a new set a few times before the KP. I tried both on an external USB drive (boots leopard fine) and on the third partition of an internal SATA drive. The internal CD/DVD is IDE though. I'm wondering if it is related to IDE/ATA being attached (not used during install) or having multiple USB items attached. I'm going to check Stell's Blog and the Life hacker page.

I have gone through and patched the dsdt file and narrowed it down to just a few kexts. The same error message comes up if I restore the img to the USB hard drive or just install via go to package method. I followed the guides very closely so I think it might be a HW/ BIOS setting issue. I have not been able to disable the "C4/C4E state support" it is white and says enabled, I can't disable it as suggesed in the UD3R guide. There are few search hits on the mac os not yet set error.

My next steps are unplugging all USB cables and moving the leopard partition around so SL goes on the first one. Thanks for any suggestions on the KP listed above. I'll post back if I get any farther with Life Hacker or Stell's info.

-Monterey

2X2Gb ddr2 1066 memory

Q8300 Intel quad core, 2.5 Ghz

nvidia dual dvi (one with vga adapter) 8600 GTS 256 mb

internal sata TB HD

internal DVD drive IDE

external DVD drive usb

a few external usb HD

(For some reasons, I am not able to quote messages. Dunno why)

For posters in post 12 and 29 who were experiencing KP, if it was the first time you are booting up, did you use the -x32 switch?

I have used the -v -x32 swithch and I have had the same issues with the "Mac OS Version Not Yet Set" kp. The kext fly by too fast to read and the screen flips (blue background with Chamelon boot loader) to a new set a few times before the KP. I tried both on an external USB drive (boots leopard fine) and on the third partition of an internal SATA drive. The internal CD/DVD is IDE though. I'm wondering if it is related to IDE/ATA being attached (not used during install) or having multiple USB items attached. I'm going to check Stell's Blog and the Life hacker page.

I have gone through and patched the dsdt file and narrowed it down to just a few kexts. The same error message comes up if I restore the img to the USB hard drive or just install via go to package method. I followed the guides very closely so I think it might be a HW/ BIOS setting issue. I have not been able to disable the "C4/C4E state support" it is white and says enabled, I can't disable it as suggesed in the UD3R guide. There are few search hits on the mac os not yet set error.

My next steps are unplugging all USB cables and moving the leopard partition around so SL goes on the first one. Thanks for any suggestions on the KP listed above. I'll post back if I get any farther with Life Hacker or Stell's info.

-Monterey

2X2Gb ddr2 1066 memory

Q8300 Intel quad core, 2.5 Ghz

nvidia dual dvi (one with vga adapter) 8600 GTS 256 mb

internal sata TB HD

internal DVD drive IDE

external DVD drive usb

a few external usb HD

for IDE drive try using the JMicron.kext from the UD3R guide cuz IDE and purple sata's run off the JMircon chip

Will do. any idea why in the BIOS the C4 state is white and says an enabled. There is an x to the left of it. I cannot select the option to enable disable. I'm searching around now and about to go back into the bios. It is the F6 version.

Thx.

for IDE drive try using the JMicron.kext from the UD3R guide cuz IDE and purple sata's run off the JMircon chip

(For some reasons, I am not able to quote messages. Dunno why)

For posters in post 12 and 29 who were experiencing KP, if it was the first time you are booting up, did you use the -x32 switch?

Yes I tried that and it yielded the same results. I've seen other posts of people getting a KP that looked similar but none I can find I google or anywhere so far are just like the screenshot in post #12. I'm going to keep digging at it tonight but I'm out of real ideas until I find one. I'm new at this mac thing but I'm willing to go through some pretty painful stuff if it help so feel free to drop an idea on me and I'll let fly with it!

-Z

Will do. any idea why in the BIOS the C4 state is white and says an enabled. There is an x to the left of it. I cannot select the option to enable disable. I'm searching around now and about to go back into the bios. It is the F6 version.

Thx.

i'm not sure why cuz i have the same BIOS as u (F6), could be that you have to enable it....what i mean to say is that ... you know to overclock ur CPU you have to switch the auto mode to manual so you can enter your desired values...could be related to this...go into overclock settings and instead of auto choose manual and go back to C4 state and c if u can enable it...i'll post my bios settings later.

i'm not sure why cuz i have the same BIOS as u (F6), could be that you have to enable it....what i mean to say is that ... you know to overclock ur CPU you have to switch the auto mode to manual so you can enter your desired values...could be related to this...go into overclock settings and instead of auto choose manual and go back to C4 state and c if u can enable it...i'll post my bios settings later.

In my BIOS I have set "C2/2E State Support" = [Disabled] this causes "C4/C4E State Support" to be set to "Disabled" as well and furthermore unable to be manipulated. Now if I set "C2/2E State Support" = [Enabled] I then have access to the "C4/C4E State Support".

In any case the P45-UD3R Guide calls for them to both be disabled. If you cannot disable "C4/C4E State Support" on the "Advanced BIOS Features" screen then you probably need to:

1. enable "C2/2E State Support"

2. then you should be able to "Disable" "C4/C4E State Support" and..

3. finally "Disable" "C2/2E State Support"

At least these are the things I am able to do. Unfortunately ... I still receive the nasty Kernel Panic when booting to my "Install" partition.

-Z

Thank you Zerix and Jizzle,

After running through the bios once more I discovered the C2 locks the C4 from being edited. I noticed the UD3R guide and lifehacker had different settings on hard disk boot order bios page with the cpu advanced halt and EIST fcns. Does any one have a suggestion for the AHCI bios page for the SATA port 0-3 mode? I switched it to disable per the lifehacker guide. Before it was enabled and working with leopard.

The good news is following the life hacker CL instructions for copying the boot files etc., and backing up to a USB SD thumb drive, I was able to boot the installer and install to the third partition. On reboot I tried the CL instructions and it went straight to the MAC OS not yet set screen. I'll check the Extra folder again. I tried with the custom UUIDs.

Life hacker mentioned it should be able to boot using the thumb drive as a boot loader. I wasn't sure how to set that up. I can select the HD with Chamelon. I'll try again.

In my BIOS I have set "C2/2E State Support" = [Disabled] this causes "C4/C4E State Support" to be set to "Disabled" as well and furthermore unable to be manipulated. Now if I set "C2/2E State Support" = [Enabled] I then have access to the "C4/C4E State Support".

In any case the P45-UD3R Guide calls for them to both be disabled. If you cannot disable "C4/C4E State Support" on the "Advanced BIOS Features" screen then you probably need to:

1. enable "C2/2E State Support"

2. then you should be able to "Disable" "C4/C4E State Support" and..

3. finally "Disable" "C2/2E State Support"

At least these are the things I am able to do. Unfortunately ... I still receive the nasty Kernel Panic when booting to my "Install" partition.

-Z

I followed all the instructions using two separate drives. After I get past chameleon and type in my verbose command I get stuck on the following screen. Can you see what might be causing the problem for me?

post-29845-1251962880_thumb.jpg

looking at my picture of restoring the partition with the leopard installation i can see that erase is checked (this is wrong) it should be unchecked. if you left it checked that is why.

other things are if you do not have a core 2 duo or better processor, or if you did not follow the listed directions correctly. not passing judgement just trying to help. i went through hell getting this running and mostly because i did not have a thumb drive and was certain that an external HD would work just hte same

in short the Kernel Panic cannot tell me enough based on what i know. im sorry man you gotta keep at it.

Hey guys, I've got a test installer here...

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/4133/EP45UD3P%2...ard%20TEST1.zip

This is for the EP45-UD3P only with a dual-dvi out Nvidia card with an Intel Core based CPU.

Installation is just like in the video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TapQwH4llBw

This is not exactly like the one in the LifeHacker guide. I changed some things to open up the the compatibility for people using onboard ethernet and/or a supported ethernet pci card.

Please test, please give some feedback. Please only people who know what they're doing apply. :)

P.S. - NO IDE DEVICES, Please setup your bios like in the lifehacker guide. ;)

Some notes about the DSDT:

-Added Nvidia Graphics injection with an nvcap with a generalized dual-dvi layout. In saying that, some dual dvi graphics cards can use a different nvcap such as a 9400GT, or GTS 250, etc.

-Audio injection for ALC889a

-Ethernet injection for the boards built-in port and for a pci ethernet card as well. In theory, whichever Ethernet you're using as your main connection will default to en0 and the others will apply as en2, en3, etc.

-Standard fixes for HPET, RTC, USB EHCI, etc have been added as well.

-----------------------------

-Stell

Thanks Unixman84 and STell,

Well I got up and running 3/4s of the way by following the LifeHacker guide by Stell and adding some of his 64XSL extentions (HDAEnabler, JMicronata, openhaltrestart, UUID). I started with the ALC889Afix, but it didn't work. This might be because I was jumping back and forth with LHG DSDT file and one I created. I followed up with patching the smbios file with my GFX card device ID and copying over uuid from disk util (in 2 places).

My DSDT file was built using the info in this thread, plus the Bounjour tip packaged here.

Everything seems to be working except when I shut down it goes to the black screen and says cpu halted. I think on reboot, it says something about a crash. I also don't see my internal ATA DVD drive. Sound doesn't have a MIC. There was a set of auido texts with 5 different ones for different configurations I might try.

I need to go through the BIOS one more time. I'm also a little shaky on what the mkexts(+zip) from lifehacker in the Vol/extra folder are doing. I installed the kexts above with Kext Utility (goes in SLE). I would like to have everything in a Vol/Extra/Extensions (VEE). Can someone explain what points to the Extensions locations SLE vs VEE as the system is booting up and looking for kexts?

thx.

I'll try stell's new installer on an external drive.

This is for the EP45-UD3P only with a dual-dvi out Nvidia card with an Intel Core based CPU.

This is not exactly like the one in the LifeHacker guide. I changed some things to open up the the compatibility for people using onboard ethernet and/or a supported ethernet pci card.

Please test, please give some feedback. Please only people who know what they're doing apply. :P

P.S. - NO IDE DEVICES, Please setup your bios like in the lifehacker guide. :P

-Added Nvidia Graphics injection with an nvcap with a generalized dual-dvi layout. In saying that, some dual dvi graphics cards can use a different nvcap such as a 9400GT, or GTS 250, etc.

-Ethernet injection for the boards built-in port and for a pci ethernet card as well. In theory, whichever Ethernet you're using as your main connection will default to en0 and the others will apply as en2, en3, etc.

-Stell

Would I be able to use that DSDT even though I have an ATI card? It doesn't matter to me if I need a few ati kexts. Just want to know if I can override it.

Thank you Zerix and Jizzle,

After running through the bios once more I discovered the C2 locks the C4 from being edited. I noticed the UD3R guide and lifehacker had different settings on hard disk boot order bios page with the cpu advanced halt and EIST fcns. Does any one have a suggestion for the AHCI bios page for the SATA port 0-3 mode? I switched it to disable per the lifehacker guide. Before it was enabled and working with leopard.

The good news is following the life hacker CL instructions for copying the boot files etc., and backing up to a USB SD thumb drive, I was able to boot the installer and install to the third partition. On reboot I tried the CL instructions and it went straight to the MAC OS not yet set screen. I'll check the Extra folder again. I tried with the custom UUIDs.

Life hacker mentioned it should be able to boot using the thumb drive as a boot loader. I wasn't sure how to set that up. I can select the HD with Chamelon. I'll try again.

from my experience, the "Mac OS not yet set" occurs due to wrong boot file in your root folder...try a few different boot files from different Guides and c if you have any luck..if you want, i can upload mine.

Would I be able to use that DSDT even though I have an ATI card? It doesn't matter to me if I need a few ati kexts. Just want to know if I can override it.

Nvidia only, unless you want to remove the graphics injection from the dsdt within the pkg.

Stell,

The installer worked like a charm and is amazing in how simple it was to install with no effort on the users part. No -x32. Sound worked on start-up and just about everything else. Looks like i just need to inject my gfx card info (no transparent system bar).

1. restore to thumb drive and ran your installer

2. boot up from TD and installed SL on external USB

3. boot up in old Leopard, and run installer again on SL partition

4. boot up SL partition, and migrated from my first SL try, after creating a temp account

What works: TM backing up now, sound w/mic-in, ethernet (both nics show up), Shared computers show up fine (Bonjour?). Now to go through a few reboots and slowly add progs.

I'm going to add the device ID from my gfx card into smbios and then QE should work.

This is really simple.

Thanks again Stell!

-Monterey

Please test, please give some feedback. Please only people who know what they're doing apply. :P

P.S. - NO IDE DEVICES, Please setup your bios like in the lifehacker guide. :)

-Stell

Stell,

The installer worked like a charm and is amazing in how simple it was to install with no effort on the users part. No -x32. Sound worked on start-up and just about everything else. Looks like i just need to inject my gfx card info (no transparent system bar).

1. restore to thumb drive and ran your installer

2. boot up from TD and installed SL on external USB

3. boot up in old Leopard, and run installer again on SL partition

4. boot up SL partition, and migrated from my first SL try, after creating a temp account

What works: TM backing up now, sound w/mic-in, ethernet (both nics show up), Shared computers show up fine (Bonjour?). Now to go through a few reboots and slowly add progs.

I'm going to add the device ID from my gfx card into smbios and then QE should work.

This is really simple.

Thanks again Stell!

-Monterey

-Bonjour won't work unless you've got a supported ethernet card

-Nvidia graphics will work without any modification. Is it possible you've plugged your graphics card in a secondary PCI-E slot and not the first one? PLEASE DON'T MOD ANY KEXTS!!!

EDIT: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/4133/EP45UD3P%2...ard%20TEST2.zip Try test 2 please :)

-You don't need to boot up into Leopard again, you can use the usb stick with the bootloader on it to select your Snow Leopard HDD.

-Stell