GIGABYTE X58 UD5 & SNOW LEOPARD

isirpaul

34 posts in this topic

hello

followed this tutorial http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

and replaced the extra folder with the ones from this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182818

my specs

gigabyte EX58-UD4P

i7 920

ati 4870 512mb

12gb G-skill ram

the system is running great sound,internet and full graphics card support.

originally tried installing by just following the lifehacker tutorial but got stuck on the apple logo screen

obviously his Kexts etc. in the extra folder are not for a X58 chipset MB.

so once i replaced the extra folder with the ones linked above it was so easy to install and run it it wasn't funny

a simple drag and drop fixed all my problems.

give it a try and you should be up and running too.

look forward to seeing how you go

I am slowly going crazy..have been reading this thread and others for quite awhile and thought I'd have a slightly easier time of it..what with others success on this motherboard, but not to be I guess.

Did what you'd suggested bbourizk but no matter what I get to the apple loading screen and then a "mac" crash..where "you need to restart your computer". So I tried using the extra folder that lifehacker supplied and get to the apple load screen and it just sits there (should I let sit a LONG time?). Tried to pay attention to the bios settings in lifehacker but of course they are not for the gigabyte board....could someone please show/link/tell me which bios settings they changed..other than usb drive first to boot of course..and the two (is that all?)..ACHI settings?

Any help would really be appreciated...I'd really like to get Snow leopard up and running but leopard would do I guess (have purchased both). I'd love to get an image of someones drive that actually booted this motherboard...but don't know if that's possible.

Thank you!

hello

shame that your having trouble, but maybe i can offer some help even though i dont know much myself. Just what i've learned from using different peoples guides

originally i used this method that your trying and it worked for me but not perfect i have EX58-UD4P

but managed to get snow installed using guides for UD5 as i believe they are the same board but the UD5 has 2 LAN ports.

what i have learned while playing around with this snow install is you need to try a lot of guides and a lot of reading to get one that's best for you.

this guide here works perfectly for me with a lot of help from the original poster.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=188663&hl=

everything running perfectly with x64 bit. took a bit of work but now is very stable.

as sirpaul noted there is also a script made by Digital_dreamer (search for it under his name) that's specific for the UD5 and it seems to be a great guide for many.

netkas has released a new PC efi v10.4 which works great with ATI cards.

so basically u need to try different things and different guides and get one that best works for you.

there are so many board and video card combination's that finding a guide perfect for your set up is impossible.

have a read at the posts i mentioned and give them a try you just need a lot of time and patients but it's certainly worth the hassles.

let us know how u get one and don't give up as it beats paying over 4k for a basic mac pro

Thanks for the reply bbourizk...and the support. It really helps. Understand what you're saying..but as your system is so close to mine I'd had some high hopes. I've read the posts you'd mentioned...and will keep trying. Any bios tips for our motherboard besides the ones I'd mentioned?

hello

the lifehackers guide the one i posted is the one that worked best for me

i've seen and tried all the ones you mentioned and they got me nowhere

all you have to do is follow lifehackers guide and when it gets to the last step of putting the EXTRA folder onto the USB drive then use the ones that CYBEX...provides...second link i gave you.

as they are for an X58 chipset, my MB is EX58-UD4P but his kexts worked for me, so they should work for you.

you really can't get an easier way to do it, naturally you will need a copy of Snow Leopard either on a disc or as a DMG file so you can follow lifehackers guide.

there may be better guides and methods out there and maybe Digital_Dreamers guide is better.

but at least the links i posted for you will get you installed and in my case have a very stable system.

i've updated to 10.6.1 with no issues...everything i have tried works...playing dvd's, installing programs etc.

the only thing that doesn't work for me is sleep...but i'm not really worried about that. I have seen a kext for sleepenable so might try putting that in as well..

so give it a try and see how you go

and if you have any questions i'll try my best to help.

Hi

I'm running a GA-EP35-DS3P. My installation of 10.6.2 is "mostly" good. I have a couple of funny little issues.

1. First of all, hows your audio?

2. Can you run Microsoft Silverlight installer successfully without a hack?

3. Try opening the Chess application that comes with Snow, and play a few moves into the game. Does the computer player respond after 2 or 3 moves? Does Chess freeze?

4. What video card are you running?

I'd sure like to know these things. If you can help, I'll greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Pandar

So, I'm going crazy with this. I copied the Lifehacker method exactly and replaced the "Extras" folder with the one from Cybex. I set the BIOS just like in the Lifehacker guide. I boot, it loads the Chameleon screen with that crazy green-guy, my USB drive is the only icon in the middle of the screen. I press "enter" and after a second I see a nifty gray screen with a metallic Apple logo...but nothing happens. Just a spinning wheel under the logo.

I've done this a few times and am getting a little depressed. Anyone have an idea?

EX58-UD5

Core i7 920

6GB OCZ RAM

Radeon 4870 512mb

WD 675GB 32mg buffer HD

Please help,

JA

i have the same exact problem.

• 3 weeks later...
hello

followed this tutorial http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

and replaced the extra folder with the ones from this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182818

my specs

gigabyte EX58-UD4P

i7 920

ati 4870 512mb

12gb G-skill ram

the system is running great sound,internet and full graphics card support.

originally tried installing by just following the lifehacker tutorial but got stuck on the apple logo screen

obviously his Kexts etc. in the extra folder are not for a X58 chipset MB.

so once i replaced the extra folder with the ones linked above it was so easy to install and run it it wasn't funny

a simple drag and drop fixed all my problems.

give it a try and you should be up and running too.

look forward to seeing how you go

This is great, I can't wait to order the parts for my (rather overkill) hackintosh, I'm just wondering about a couple things

-will this guide, with the replacement extra folder, work on an EX58-UD7? Or should I stick with the UD5?

-will it allow me to update to 10.6.2?

-are multi-GPU setups supported? if so, what would be better: a single card, like the 4870X2, or two 4870's in Crossfire?

Has anyone been able to get 2 ATI 4870's working yet? How about one GTX260?

GTX260 is a go.

This is great, I can't wait to order the parts for my (rather overkill) hackintosh, I'm just wondering about a couple things

-will this guide, with the replacement extra folder, work on an EX58-UD7? Or should I stick with the UD5?

-will it allow me to update to 10.6.2?

-are multi-GPU setups supported? if so, what would be better: a single card, like the 4870X2, or two 4870's in Crossfire?

Works with UD7

you can update to 10.6.2

You can find all info 4870X2 here. Link. Crossfire is iffy/no.