GMA X3100 or GMA 950?

carlevarino

12 posts in this topic

I have a Toshiba P305-S8837 with an Intel X3100 (GMA 965) video card.

I am able to install and run SL (OSX 10.6), but even in 32-bit mode I am unsure if the X3100 drivers are really fully functional. I also cannot change my screen resolution. When I run XBench, I cannot see anything on the screen during the OpenGL test.

My laptop native resolution is 1440x900 but I am unable to change to that in 10.6. I have tried put this resolution into com.apple.Boot.plist but it has no effect. I get the same problem on the external monitor also. With OSX 10.5.7 I was able to run an external monitor with a fully functional X3100 video card and change resolution etc. but I could never get the internal laptop display working with the X3100 drivers. It would only work in VESA 1024x768 mode.

I am currently using older x3100 drivers and they work fine at 1024x768.

If I use the OSX 10.6 X3100 driver, then my display timing is off the image on the screen is all messed up and I also cannot change resolution. I can connect to my laptop with VNC at that time and check the resolution settings. I have included an image of that that looks like.

Here is the output I get from System Profiler with OSX 10.6 and the older X3100 drivers that work fine at 1024x768.

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x0003

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

==========================

AppleIntelGMAX3100:

Version: 1.5.36

Last Modified: 9/1/09 12:12 AM

Get Info String: AppleIntelGMAX3100 1.5.36.25

Kind: Intel

Architectures: i386

64-Bit (Intel): No

Kext Version: 5.3.6

Load Address: 0x5cebd000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB:

Version: 1.5.18

Last Modified: 8/10/09 3:48 PM

Get Info String: AppleIntelGMAX3100FB 1.5.18.7

Kind: Intel

Architectures: i386

64-Bit (Intel): No

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

Kext Version: 5.1.8

Load Address: 0x5ba77000

Valid: Yes

Authentic: Yes

Dependencies: Satisfied

slscreen.jpg

Thanks for your answer, but you know I had installed 10.5.7 and everything worked perfect could change the screen resolution without any problem, the internal laptop display, besides that I install the version of iATKOS and upgrading from software update with original update from apple.

So the GMA 950 / X3100 don't work on SL neither 32 bits mode??

Thanks for your answer, but you know I had installed 10.5.7 and everything worked perfect could change the screen resolution without any problem, the internal laptop display, besides that I install the version of iATKOS and upgrading from software update with original update from apple.

So the GMA 950 / X3100 don't work on SL neither 32 bits mode??

I think they do. It just takes a little messing around. I have seen some qualifiers. I've got 1000HE and will let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem. I have the GMA 965 Express Mobility. Works fine with the standard x3100 kexts in Leopard, but refuses to load in Snow Leopard. Have also tried modding the dev id to match mine in the AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext but still no luck.

Any suggestions? Let us know if you ever get it working. Thanks.

I have made some progress since my last posting. I am now able to get my external monitor working correctly with the correct resolution. I am using the standard 10.6 SL drivers for the X3100 video card. The problem I had before was that my DSDT.aml file was wrong.

To correct the problem I had to extract a correct dsdt.aml while booted in Vista. Then decompile the dsdt.aml, apply the standard patches for the RTC fix, and others (no GFX dsdt fixes). Then recompile and use this new dsdt.aml file. Once I did this I was able to use the stand 10.6 X3100 video drivers. The problem that I mentioned in posting #2 went away.

My built-in laptop LCD screen is still all black, but it is powered on. It has a slight glow to it. System profile shows both displays. And I can see both desktops when I remotely connect with VNC but I cannot display anything on my physical build-in LCD laptop display.

If anyone has any ideas on how to make the built-in LCD display please let me know, I have tried all kind of things, natit.kext, EFI string in boot.plist etc.. If I remove the X3100 driver, the built-in LCD display will work with the VESA drivers at 1024x768.

This is what my current system profile says...

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2a02

Revision ID: 0x0003

ROM Revision: OpenGL Engine activated via EFI String

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1440 x 900

Built-In: Yes

SDM-P232W:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Main Display: Yes

Rotation: Supported

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I found a another posting that had a correct DSDT for my laptop (see details below). I had been looking for month for the correct DSDT.

This DSDT works fine for both the internal LCD display and the external monitor. But I have only tested on the Toshiba laptop list below.

I have uploaded DSDT.aml file here.

ray

I found a another posting that had a correct DSDT for my laptop (see details below). I had been looking for month for the correct DSDT.

This DSDT works fine for both the internal LCD display and the external monitor. But I have only tested on the Toshiba laptop list below.

I have uploaded DSDT.aml file here.

ray

Thanks! (um--does this have to go into the /-Partition? I boot with grub2 w/o chameleon etc.)

Do you have SL 64bit gmax3100 with resolution other than 1024x768 now?

Yes, I am using that DSDT with SL either in 32-bit more or 64-bit more. With that DSDT file I get full native resolution both on the built-in laptop LCD (1440x900) and my external monitor (1920x1200)

I am using Chameleon, and just put the file in the /Extra dir. Sorry I do not know if grub can read in a DSDT file.

ray

Thank you, so at least I know it works somewhere-

Yes, I think grub2 loads that file correctly.

with 10.6. i had x3100 and sleep etc. working great in 32-bit. in 64-bit only vga 1024x768.

with 10.6.2. - I have -booting into 64-mode only in safe mode with vga

-booting into 32-mode with x3100 but only on external crt. lcd = wrong modelines.

I modified my dsdt but still I'm to stupid to get my lcd display working. Well, maybe tomorrow.