*UPDATED* Snow Leopard Boots, Usable For 1 Minute, Crashes

foodfightr

8 posts in this topic

So I was able to successfully install and boot to Snow Leopard by:

1. Install From Retail Disc

2. Install Bootloader (I tried both EFI9 and EFI10 successfully)

3. Apply DSDT Patch

4. Copy over KEXTs (it worked with just FameSMC, but after crashing I also loaded OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID and NullCPUPM)

5. Apply permissions fix with code:

sudo -s
cd /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions
chown -R root:wheel *
chmod -R 755 *

It works for 1-2 minutes and then crashes. See attachment.

post-156657-1251851716_thumb.jpg

So I was able to successfully install and boot to Snow Leopard by following this guide. I followed the instructions exactly with the exception of step 5 (efi studio graphics string). After I'm in Snow Leopard for about a minute the system crashes. It seems to crash whether or not I'm using it after it boots. See attached screenshot for more details.

How do I begin troubleshooting this error?

P.S. How do I determine my current graphics card string from my Leopard installation for use with my Snow Leopard installation?

its probably not your graphics card, if you installed from inside of leopards you have serious permissions issues that will cause Snow Leopard to kernel panic, you need to get a program like "kext utility" that can repair permissions quickly, and run it , keep running it until it finishes without crashing, you may have to boot in -x or -x32, this is documented in hundreds of threads already, most people get kernel panics because of installing from inside of leopard.

So I was able to successfully install and boot to Snow Leopard by following this guide...

Let's start with a link to that guide. And do you have:

/Extra/Extensions/dmos.kext

and/or

/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

or

/S*/L*/Extensions/dmos.kext

and/or

/S*/L*/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

In short: do not use both dmos.kext and fakesmc.kext

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem on my ga965pDQ6.

If i run kext utility it repairs permissions fine but hangs at rebuilding the extensions.mkext.

Any idea ?

Thanks

EDIT : FIXED : i fixed it simply by removing the extensions.mkext & draging the extensions folder ( system one ) on the kext utility icon

Now i need to face with a poor cpu & graphic performance ( twice less than in leo )

P.S. How do I determine my current graphics card string from my Leopard installation for use with my Snow Leopard installation?

You need EFI studio.

Can t provide a link right now but PM if you need it.

Let's start with a link to that guide. And do you have:

/Extra/Extensions/dmos.kext

and/or

/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

or

/S*/L*/Extensions/dmos.kext

and/or

/S*/L*/Extensions/fakesmc.kext

In short: do not use both dmos.kext and fakesmc.kext

I have fakesmc.kext but not dmos.kext.

its probably not your graphics card, if you installed from inside of leopards you have serious permissions issues that will cause Snow Leopard to kernel panic, you need to get a program like "kext utility" that can repair permissions quickly, and run it , keep running it until it finishes without crashing, you may have to boot in -x or -x32, this is documented in hundreds of threads already, most people get kernel panics because of installing from inside of leopard.

I use these terminal commands, which I think do the same thing as the Kext Utility to repair the permissions right?

sudo -s
cd /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions
chown -R root:wheel *
chmod -R 755 *

This is documented in some of the guides.. It's something about Spotlight's indexing.

In spotlight preferences I've added both of my hard drives to the Privacy section. I'm posting now from Snow Leopard which hasn't crashed yet. (So far so good.) I wish there was a better fix for this though. It warned that some applications search feature will not work and I like to use the spotlight search.

Hi!

Tomazzzi please can you explain this a little bit more.

EDIT : FIXED : i fixed it simply by removing the extensions.mkext & draging the extensions folder ( system one ) on the kext utility icon

What utility Icon !!!???

Thanks a lot for your help