DSDT

snifferpro

17 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready to install Snow Leopard on a new drive on a P5Q3 Deluxe and

I see a lot of posts here that say you have to modify your DSDT.

When I installed Leopard 10.5.6 I do not remember modifying any DSDT file and

I have successfully ugraded to 10.5.7 and then 10.5.8 and the system is extremely

stable. No issues at all.

I consider myself a noob yet so bear with me.

1. Where is the DSDT file on my current system?

2. Can I use a copy of that DSDT to install Snow Leopard?

3. Where is the DSDT file that everyone says you must modify.

4. How do you modify the DSDT?

5. Is there a tutorial on DSDT modification?

6. Is there a DSDT on the Snow Leopard DVD?

7. If there is a DSDT on Snow Leopard, is that the one I have to Modify?

8. Is there a utility to display my current DSDT so I can extract info from there

if I need it?

Be gentle and thanks for assistance.

If you need to move this post to a new section, just let me know

where you move it to.

I have successfully ugraded to 10.5.7 and then 10.5.8 and the system is extremely

8. Is there a utility to display my current DSDT so I can extract info from there

if I need it?

where you move it to.

i have these questions 2 as i have always used the boot132 method

if I need it?

where you move it to.

Hi snifferpro,

I'll try to answer what i can....

I dont know much about modding dsdt files but i can try to answer some of these.. A modified dsdt file doesnt take the place of a boot loader. You'll still need to use a boot 132 style booting process.

1. They use the dsdt file (which is sorta like a patched bios) to inject and correct missing info from your bios.

There isnt a dsdt file already on your system per se... you can use one of the auto-patchers out there to create one. Search this forum for "dsdt patcher" and you'll find the patcher and how to use it. fassl created a patcher & pc-wiz made a gui for it...

2. You can use your auto patched dsdt.aml to assisst the install/booting of SL. I put mine in the extra folder for my p5b-deluxe but I'm not really sure if i even need it....

3. see #1

4. the auto-patcher will do the most necessary patches but there are posts on dsdt modification. you can manually add things like network, sound & video... although i'm not that good so i still use efi strings and modded kexts.. :thumbsup_anim:

5. yes. search the forum for the tutorials... but you may not need to go that deep into dsdt modding..

6. nope...

7. see #1

8. auto patcher should do it...

Also do a search for your motherboard... i think i recall seeing people using that motherboard and they may have already created a modded dsdt file you can use.

heres the post by fassl...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...c=133683%252522

search google for "pcwiz dsdt patcher" it wont let me post the link....

good luck

hey d3t0x, can you explain to me exactly what are efi strings and how you use them?? i've been dying to figure them out, but i've had no luck on the internet bc it seems like everyone knows what they are/how to use them except me. a link to a tutorial would be great too, thanks in advance!

well actually, if you know about how to use dsdt to add audio/video, that would be amazing too..since I also feel like i'm the only one who doesn't know how to use that also. thanks!

hey d3t0x, can you explain to me exactly what are efi strings and how you use them?? i've been dying to figure them out, but i've had no luck on the internet bc it seems like everyone knows what they are/how to use them except me. a link to a tutorial would be great too, thanks in advance!

well actually, if you know about how to use dsdt to add audio/video, that would be amazing too..since I also feel like i'm the only one who doesn't know how to use that also. thanks!

Hey EricCW

EFI strings allow you to add your network and video info and inject it into the efi table... a predecessor to dsdt mods. In particular, gfx strings inject your graphics card's information (style, ram size, bus location etc) into the efi table so osx can see/read/know your cards info when booting into the OS. This allows us to use our video cards without having to modify kext files or use special kext files like nvinject, nvkush and others (ATI too). For alot of information about how it happened you can search around here or go over to the forum at netkas.org. Lots of good info both places. Search for "gfx efi strings" and you'll find plenty of posts regarding efi strings.

As far as creating the string there are some good programs out there, and when you get the string you add it to your com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra/ or in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/... Pcwiz came up with another GUI program that makes it pretty easy. I cant post the link here (it gets blocked) but if you google "Universal OSx86 Installer" it will take you to his page. Download it then run it and it will give you options for your boot file. You want "Apply EFI Sting for video card". Pick the card you have, ram size and the options you want, it will create the string and add it to the correct file in L/P/SC.

These guys are amazingly intelligent people and some made these tools so its pretty easy on us now...

Anyway, I havent quite figured out how to add this info to my dsdt so i can't help ya much there... I would really like to figure that one out. Especially the sound card part.... more reading i guess...

OK, I gotta crash, work early in the am... Hope that helps....

For some boards DSDT patcher is no use because your boards own DSDT might be buggy and need to be fixed before it can be patched.

You can find your own boards DSDT by running the script getDSDT.sh (see the compressed Tools Pack I have attached) in the Terminal (open the terminal window, drag the script into the window and press return). It will put a file called DSDT.dat into the root of your user folder.

Next drag the file iasl (also in the Tools folder) into Terminal, leave a space, then type "-ta" (without the quotes) leave a space, then drag your DSDT.dat into the terminal. You will then get your boards DSDT.dsl file generated.

You can open the DSDT.dsl file in text edit or notepad or similar to look at it and do any editing that you might want to do manually.

A good little app too is iASLme (again in the folder) Tools.zipwhich lets you swap between DSDT.dsl and DSDT.aml formats to see what will compile and what won't and double check your work. Just drag your DSDT.dsl file onto it and it generates a DSDT.aml and drag the .aml file back again to do the reverse.

Having said all this, maybe you will be lucky and find that the automatic patching works for you!

The crucial patch for SL to work for me was to edit the DSDT.dsl file in notepad (or textedit) by finding the entry for the RTC device, then find under that a parameter relating to "length" (which is set by default as either 4 (0x04) or 8 (0x08)) and that you need to set to 2 (0x02). If you do that and don't muck up other stuff, then the resulting DSDT.aml file stands a chance of not borking your BIOS settings on every restart.

The best advice though is to do lots of googling on "DSDT Snow Leopard CMOS fix" etc and work at it. Because my DSDT was rubbish in the first place I first had to get someones help to make it actually compile properly before I could start patching it.

d3t0x, that was really helpful! thanks a lot. I'm gonna go do my research on those topics now and try to figure out my nvidia quadro nvs card...it seems to be pretty uncommon (or {censored}) or something, since all the drivers and strings I've seen are mostly for geforce. I wanted to figure out how to get audio and graphics working with strings since my kexts no longer work (or work well at least) with snow leopard, but I've decided to figure out efi strings purely for the sake of learning, as I've decided to put SL on hold. apparently it's only good if you have the hardware to match the software, which I don't.

thanks again!

How would one get DSDT info with a computer that has no OSX install on it currently?

Use a Linux LiveCD. Not too hard - google it. Linux stores the DSDT as a text file (I forget where) and you save it to a USB stick.

SMF

Use a Linux LiveCD. Not too hard - google it. Linux stores the DSDT as a text file (I forget where) and you save it to a USB stick.

SMF

cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > MachineName.dat should get you the raw tables under Linux. Feeding it to IASL (it might be necessary to install it from the repositories of your chosen Linux distribution) with iasl -d MachineName.dat to decompile it to a plain-text .DSL file, and modifying that as you please, before running iasl MachineName.dsl to produce your .AML file should do the trick.

i run a SL retailversion on a asus p5q3 deluxe wifi@n with a intel quadcore 9550 ... and i asked me the same question ... i never need this a dsdtpatch ...

SL runs perfect ... onboardaudio (voodooHDA) onboardwifi (rlink driver) geforce gts 8800 320 (efi string + nvdarwin)

i run a SL retailversion on a asus p5q3 deluxe wifi@n with a intel quadcore 9550 ... and i asked me the same question ... i never need this a dsdtpatch ...

SL runs perfect ... onboardaudio (voodooHDA) onboardwifi (rlink driver) geforce gts 8800 320 (efi string + nvdarwin)

I have the same motherboard as you and I have an EVGA Nvidia 9800 GT 513mb video card.

Could you tell me how you installed SL to your rig?

• 5 months later...