anyone able to upgrade to SL?

8 posts in this topic

I found that SL wouldn't upgrade any of my computers. What I had to do was do a clean install off a Macbook with an external HD then use TM to upgrade. Every time I tried to upgrade from 10.5.x the installer just wouldn't install the proper files on the PC's. Good luck.

I have done 2 upgrades so far. One on Gigabyte EP45-UD3 and second time on MSI P43 Neo. Gigabyte was easy but the MSI always had a KP. Trick to make it boot was to use just Extensions.mkext. If there was anything inside the Extensions folder then I had an immediate KP, if the Extensions folder was empty but still existed then I got to the point where graphics were starting to load. Then I deleted the whole Extensions folder and system started straight up.

I booted using an 8 gb usb stick which I made like this. Partition the whole stick to 1 GUID partition, install Chameleon and PCEFI 10 on it. Use MKextTool to make an Extensions.mkext file with required 64 bit kexts. I don't know if this applies to everybody but if select i386 architecture at this point then I have to boot with -x32, if I select x86_64 architecture then I have to use -x64.

Copy the mkext file and your fixed dsdt.aml file to Extra folder on usb stick and delete the Extensions folder that Chameleon setup made. Now You should have in your Extra folder these files: Extensions.mkext, dsdt.aml and com.apple.Boot.plist. Next go to Disk utility and restore SL image to usb stick, don't choose erase.

Now You should have a usb stick that you can use to install a new system or upgrade an old system. But if You try to upgrade then you should have a pure vanilla system, and I mean pure. No added stuff in /S/L/E folder or even Extra folder for Chameleon. It is best to first test the stick with an empty disk and if everything works then You can try an upgrade.

It is best to first test the stick with an empty disk and if everything works then You can try an upgrade.

...so its definityly better to wait for new Ideneb and run all the process from DVD without nerves and pain...

The alternative is recovering from timemachine all the partition - and being frustrated. 10.5.8 works, so I will wait.

Greetz.

...so its definityly better to wait for new Ideneb and run all the process from DVD without nerves and pain...

The alternative is recovering from timemachine all the partition - and being frustrated. 10.5.8 works, so I will wait.

Greetz.

Actually i tried 3 methods and all worked for me. I tried migration assistant with time machine backup, migration assistant from another disk and last test I did was to run full upgrade from 10.5.8 to 10.6. Last method actually worked best since it automatically removed my ESata card (Sil 3132) drivers which are incompatible with SL.

I have done 2 upgrades so far. One on Gigabyte EP45-UD3 and second time on MSI P43 Neo. Gigabyte was easy but the MSI always had a KP. Trick to make it boot was to use just Extensions.mkext. If there was anything inside the Extensions folder then I had an immediate KP, if the Extensions folder was empty but still existed then I got to the point where graphics were starting to load. Then I deleted the whole Extensions folder and system started straight up.

You are a life saver, all the guides tell you to populate the Extensions Folder, but for some reason my Gigabyte board would KP every time, since removing the whole Extensions folder it all works. Thanks.