Need Help - P5KC - Tried Many Methods - All Failed

supermanfan

40 posts in this topic

I'm using a P5KC and restart is working just fine for me. The problem is my install took 2 days of trial and error from several tutorials and i didn't document the process so i'm not exactly sure how/why its working! Everything else works fine except sleep and i can only use 32bit.

YOu guys are lucky i can't seem to get mine to even install SL. I have tried a few boot cds etc with no luck. it seems to stop just after i hit f8 and -v -f + enter to start. the screen go's black and nothing. Anyone have a boot132 iso that works for p5kc with a 9800 gtx ?

i figured i would add more about my story

I have tried a few times with no luck to creat a boot cd for SL. Can anyone help me?

MY system Specs:

Asus P5KC

Q6600 quad

5gb of ddr2

Asus 9800 gtx+ 512mb

BD-rom drive

WD 500gb Hdd

my cd boots and i swap the disks but after i hit f8 and run the -v -f it loads for a second or two them nothing or a black sceeen.

I used my existing Kalyway 10.5.2 install to make a bootable USB stick with a store-bought SL image, booted that (with Chameleon 2.0 RC1 on the USB drive) and installed to a fresh hard drive. (I posted links on how to do that before.)

Once the retail SL installer booted and saw all my drives, I had no problems finishing up and getting a usable system.

I'm sure you can search to find a bootable Leopard to install, and work from there... Kalyway is really easy to install on P5KC, just don't try to use your JMicron IDE to boot the disc, and use maxmem=3072 when booting it. Once you have that working, it's going to be much easier to set up SL, since you can fix most boot errors without reinstalling every time. I have a spare 40GB partition on my Windows drive just for that...

Personally I don't use boot-132 anymore, it's too time-consuming to build all the stuff needed to boot (and then redoing it every time you have to change something). It was amazing at the time, but now I'm just too lazy to bother ;)

• 2 weeks later...
does anyone have sata 3+4 working on P5KC in 10.6? if so please let me know

Yes, all SATA ports work fine on 10.6, using the AppleIntelPIIXATA2 kext that I posted before. I'm using the 32bit kernel, I don't know if it works in 64bit.

I remember reading somewhere that Chameleon RC2 didn't work with SL, so I used RC1 with the PCEFIv10.1 boot file when setting up. Since it works fine, I didn't bother trying RC2 and RC3...

Yes, all SATA ports work fine on 10.6, using the AppleIntelPIIXATA2 kext that I posted before. I'm using the 32bit kernel, I don't know if it works in 64bit.

I remember reading somewhere that Chameleon RC2 didn't work with SL, so I used RC1 with the PCEFIv10.1 boot file when setting up. Since it works fine, I didn't bother trying RC2 and RC3...

thanks ill try

• 4 weeks later...
I have a P5KC as well. I'm running 10.6 perfectly, 64-bit, except for sleep. Here's a nice little pack I put together of all the kexts i am using: http://www.mediafire.com/?inymj0imiok

Also, if you are having KP problems like I did when I was first trying to get the betas working, boot with -s to go into single user mode and enter fsck -fy

Hope this helps =P

Also, you'll be wanting to add the EFI strings of your graphics card to your boot.plist instead of an injector.

Hi, shall I ask you something? Wich distro did you used? did you do a fresh install? or you updated your old leopard?..

I have same MB wiht Leo 10.5.4 From Jas. and it's working perfect. I have my fears to update.. Did you have problems?

Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

After using OSX for 4 months on my MBP Unibody (June 2009) model, I can't go back to Vista (or 7 RC). I don't want to let a semi-decent desktop go to waste, so I kindly request a:

smbios.plist for a p5kc

I know about the EFIStudio hex strings for my Nvidia GTX 260 card - i just need the help with the Chameleon smbios.

I have followed all instructions, yet to fail on a KP relating to an IO Kext. (Maybe ICH9 related?).

My system is a bone dry p5kc, with Nvidia card. Nothing else besides a Q6600 and 6 gig DDR2 ram.

The KP I get has this error:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(1.3)@0xfffffff7f80616000->0xffffff7f80659fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.3.0)@0xffffff7f80600000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6)@0xffffff7f806004000

It always fails on this!

Thanks for all the help so far!

Willks

One minor annoyance is that Restart doesn't work (it just hangs on a black screen where it should restart), does anyone else see this?

Restart is an outstanding issue for P5K VM & P5K PRO users and is partly fixed by OpenHaltRestart or similar kexts however it does not work after a sleep (Yet - work in progress).

Sleep has been fixed for both of these mobo's and I made some interesting discoveries related to USB hardware settings & Sleep. There are many similarities to the mobo's on the P5K range and a lot of work has been done to get good functionality with retail installs. It would be worth you guys looking at both those threads to help solve your problems on the C.

Are you using dsdt method? Many functionality issues can be resolved in dsdt, my dsdt (P5K VM) is heavily based on fix's provided by MasterChief on the P5K PRO - very similar bios / dsdt & functions.

Note we only provide help for Retail Installs.