Windows HFS+ Driver from Snow Leopard Boot Camp

32 posts in this topic

Snow Leopard brings a new version of boot camp...and this new version of boot camp happens to enable HFS+ partition reading from Windows (no writing). Yes, you can use this driver on a hackintosh and I've made a pretty simple way of doing it. The package I've includes the HFS+ driver version 3.0.1.6 (from the 10.6 retail DVD).

Download, extract it and run the batch file (as Administrator). Reboot, check Computer Management/Disk Management and you should see your HFS+ partitions.

http://digitaldj.net/osx86/AppleHFS_3.0.1....staller-DDJ.zip

I did, however, have a problem with this driver. I'm not sure what caused it (or if it was even the driver), I think it may have been when I assigned drive letters to the partitions. In any case....if you install this driver and you attempt to get back to Snow Leopard, but are greeted by "boot0: error" then...you're in luck, here's the fix:

http://steelpangolin.wordpress.com/2009/03...t-block-000000/

You will probably need a spare OSX install to do it though.

Thanks DigitalDJ! Files work great, but your batch file didn't work for me on my Windows 7 x64 RC computer (I ran it as an administrator and everything, and it could identify my Processor Architecture as AMD64, but when it got to the "Copying..." portions it said "The system cannot find the path specified." and when I got to the "Adding Services to Registry..." portion it said "ERROR: Error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error." This was weird because when I copied the files and imported the registry file myself manually and ran your batch file to remove them it worked fine and your batch file uses the same paths for install and uninstall, so I'm not sure what the problem is). Anyway, please let me know fi you find a fix for that, but thank you again for your compilation of both x86 and x64 versions of the drivers and reg files. They work great when I install them manually! :D

Interesting. I honestly don't know what the problem is. I have a feeling it still has something to do with UAC. I personally tested it on Win7 x64 RTM....

I think maybe it might be best to extract it to your Desktop? Sometimes UAC can interfere with files outside of your user profile?

If it detected the architecture as AMD64...and even the registry add failed...I'm not sure (as the registry command is simply reg IMPORT <filename>).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it was very strange. I tested extracting it to the desktop as well and that didn't work either. Maybe it has something to do with me using the RC version of Windows 7 x64. Perhaps I will test it again when I upgrade to the RTM.

Either way, these drivers and registry files that you have put together are great so thank you for your good work. It's so nice to finally have HFS+ support in windows!

The Batch doesn't like the path.

If you start cmd.exe as administrator, then CD to the batch file and run it the install will work perfectly.

Add this to the start of the batch file and all will be well.

for /f %%i in ("%0") do set curpath=%%~dpi 
cd /d %curpath%

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Snow Leopard brings a new version of boot camp...and this new version of boot camp happens to enable HFS+ partition reading from Windows (no writing).

Any particular reason why this doesn't include write support as well? When it was initially announced that Snow Leopard would include HFS support for windows via Bootcamp, it was said that it would be read/write support....

Thanks

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've repackaged this with the 4.0 drivers from the Boot Camp 3.3 update. Unlike the previous 3.x versions there is only one set of drivers, which I assume work on both x86 and x64 machines (tested here on Win 7 x64).

These may or may not work on XP/Vista as Boot Camp 3.3+ only supports Windows 7.

AppleHFS_4.0_Installer.zip

• Like 1

The reason I tried this is because I only wanted read-only access. In OS X I just have the built-in read-only NTFS support. It's just safer that way. And I can still copy files from one OS to the other.

BSOD on startup

gets repaired (by removing registry references)

It actually states driver is corrupt

maybe the driver IS only 64-bit which will not work on 32-bit Win 7 Starter?

Anybody had any success?

sebus

• 1 month later...

I riped the same drivers from Boot Camp 4.0 both 32bit and 64bit.

Thanks DigitalDJ made the install script and registry files.

It's works on my 64bit Win7 and 32bit WinXP.

BTW:

I removed below stuff from DigitalDJ's registry files.

[ H K E Y _ L O C A L _ M A C H I N E \ S Y S T E M \ C u r r e n t C o n t r o l S e t \ s e r v i c e s \ A p p l e H F S \ E n u m ]

" 0 " = " R o o t \ \ L E G A C Y _ A P P L E H F S \ \ 0 0 0 0 "

" C o u n t " = d w o r d : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

" N e x t I n s t a n c e " = d w o r d : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

[ H K E Y _ L O C A L _ M A C H I N E \ S Y S T E M \ C u r r e n t C o n t r o l S e t \ s e r v i c e s \ A p p l e M N T \ E n u m ]

" 0 " = " R o o t \ \ L E G A C Y _ A P P L E M N T \ \ 0 0 0 0 "

" C o u n t " = d w o r d : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

" N e x t I n s t a n c e " = d w o r d : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Because with these stuff , install to win7 will not recognize HFS+ partition.

Use Install_or_Remove_hfs_ENG.bat to install or remove.

AppleHFS_from_BootCamp4.0.zip

I took another look at the Bootcamp 3.3 update and there were 32bit drivers after all. So my installer is 64-bit only.

Interestingly the drivers in twilight.lee's package are older than the ones in the 3.3 update. Maybe they're a bit more stable. I haven't used these since the random BSODs they caused.

I took another look at the Bootcamp 3.3 update and there were 32bit drivers after all. So my installer is 64-bit only.

Interestingly the drivers in twilight.lee's package are older than the ones in the 3.3 update. Maybe they're a bit more stable. I haven't used these since the random BSODs they caused.

You are right , the drivers in your package are newer.

That's weird. I checked again both BootCamp.msi and BootCamp64.msi, the version is 4.0.4033 and the time stamp of digital signature is 2011-06-29 23:03:04.

I can't use Boot Camp Assistant to get Boot Camp under Mac OS X. So , I download it from http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/5...BootCampESD.pkg

Did you updated to Boot camp v4.0.1? If you did , please check if BootCamp.msi and BootCamp64.msi have new drivers.(AppleHFS.sys and AppleMNT.sys are inside these two package)

TIPS: Use UniExtract can extract .msi package.

Aha! I just figured out how I missed the 32-bit drivers last time. I must have opened the BootCamp_3.3.exe file with WinRAR. When I opened it yesterday I used 7-zip and that's how I found the seperate 64bit and 32bit archives. In WinRAR it doesn't show the complete contents.

I run XP in BootCamp here so I'm still on BC 3.2. I thought I'd be able to update to 3.3 but it doesn't support XP.

• 2 years later...

I decided to try these drivers again. After a couple of days use it seems they're stable (unlike the old 3.x ones). No BSODs to report.

So here's DigitalDJ's installer repacked with the newest drivers (AppleHFS.sys 5.0.0.1 and AppleMNT.sys 5.0.0.0).

These are 64-bit only. Tested in Win 7.

AppleHFS_5.0_Installer.zip

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

After upgrading from 7 to 10 my Windows backups stopped working with VSS shadow copy errors. After trying a few different things I came across a post suggesting that it was down to the Apple HFS drivers.

Sure enough after removing the drivers and rebooting, backups work again.