Just a comparison between computers

jjbbooyy

3 posts in this topic

So I have the chance to finally purchase a macbook pro and am thinking about getting the 13inch version - I'm being frugal on purpose, I would go top of the line if I could:

13 inch mbp

4 gigs of ram

2.5 ghz core 2

9400m nvidia

I'm reading about how that's capable, but right now I have the following:

Pentium D 2.8 Ghz (desktop)

3 gigs ram

7600gt 512 mb

I'm not sure what the difference in speed is between older and newer processors and video cards but I do some heavy adobe image work (no video) and expect to do iphone development as well. Does anyone have any insight with comparisons or speed issues with the above laptop. Just thought I'd ask!

Core 2 Duo CPU's are much more energy efficient and also faster than Pentium D's. GeForce 9400M GPU has some advanced features compared to 7600GS, atleast in terms of DirectX (version 10 vs. 9), which on the other hand has no effect on Mac OS X, but I would expect that it also has some new features in OpenGL side as well. 7600GS is however faster of the two, in raw speed.

So when talking about processor the new Core 2 Duo on the MBP is better in every way you could imagine, 9400M is more advanced but slower than 7600GS.

EDIT: Whoops, it was 7600GT. Well, 7600GT is even faster than 7600GS.

Thanks for the input, I suspected the video card thing since it's coming from a laptop. I decided to hold out a little longer and go for the 15 inch with the 2nd video card (9600). I think the advanced features of that should come closer to at least canceling out the speed benefit of the 7600.