Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\.\n!@.......

rsilves

11 posts in this topic

Hi. I am trying to install Snow Leopard 10A432 in my computer.

I come from this topic, which I started, but am posting here because it might not be an specific error, and maybe others have seen it too and might be able to help :D

I have a P5W DH Deluxe bios 2801 with a hard drive partitioned in 2 for Chameleon bootloader and SnowLeopard. There is a guy (Tommy) who helped me a lot, who has the same mobo, same bios, actually I am using his kexts and dsdt.aml (I tried others too), so I am a bit dissapointed on this error.

User tbar told me to delete the ATI files in order to boot. I did and it got rid of other errors I was having

I could boot -x -v -x32 and -x -v.

Then I put the files back again and added ATY_Init.kext and dual dvi works, in safe mode, but I won't even try without -x32.

So the problem is that if I'm not in safe mode, the attached KP shows up.

I hope you can help me.

Thanks,

Rodrigo

post-171324-1251793708_thumb.jpg

I've had this problem before and I think it stems from having an incorrectly built Extensions.mkext file. The solution is to rebuild Extensions.mkext in /System/Library/ and /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup. You can do this with the kextcache command when booted in single user mode (as root):

kextcache -v 1 -m /System/Library/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/
kextcache -v 1 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

Make sure to do this running under Snow Leopard, not Leopard since the kextcache command in SL is updated to use the new SL format for mkext files. Then boot with -v -x32 and it should load fine.

For some reason any time I boot with -f it leads to an immediate panic, so every time I add or delete a kext I need to re-run the above two commands.

I am getting the same KP. How do you rebuild the cache under Snow Leo if you cant boot into SL?

Do it in terminal from Leopard - just add '/Volumes/[snow leopard disk]' before each of the commands so you get:

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/[snow leopard disk]/System/Library/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/[snow leopard disk]/System/Library/Extensions/
kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/[snow leopard disk]/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/[snow leopard disk]/System/Library/Extensions/

(Just replace [snow leopard disk] with the name of the disk Snow Leopard's installed on.)

Do it in terminal from Leopard - just add '/Volumes/[snow leopard disk]' before each of the commands so you get:

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/[snow leopard disk]/System/Library/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/[snow leopard disk]/System/Library/Extensions/
kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/[snow leopard disk]/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/[snow leopard disk]/System/Library/Extensions/

(Just replace [snow leopard disk] with the name of the disk Snow Leopard's installed on.)

Russage: Sigmaris said SL has a new mkext type, so that's why we should rebuild Extensions.mkext from SL and NOT from Leopard.

HuDuVuDu: Add the boot flag -s

So it can be -s -x32

It leads to a command line where you first run the mount command that appears on screen (the second one), and then run the kextcache command.

Sigmaris: Thanks for your support, but this didn't solve my KP.

I tried both running the commands from Terminal in safe mode and from single user mode.

Any other idea?

Thanks

Rodrigo.

I got this KP by using a bad DSDT.aml file in Extras, booted off cd using grub dfe disk i had around, booted back into 10.5.8, replaced with a good DSDT.aml and after a reboot all was well again.

after i got back up and running wouldn't you know PC Wiz's notes on PC EFI v10 state:

"known issues: boot stalls if DSDT.aml isn’t present."

I am getting the same KP. How do you rebuild the cache under Snow Leo if you cant boot into SL?

Good question... I plugged the USB stick I was using into a macbook with Snow Leo. Every time I tried to rebuild the mkext under Leopard it wouldn't load correctly when booting Snow Leo. That's what caused all the 'Failed to load kext' messages you see there.

SOLVED:

As I am using a Chameleon bootloader in a separate partition with extra kexts, I had to apply kextcache to the extensions.mkext in /Extra/

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/[CHAMALEON DISK]/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/[CHAMALEON DISK]/Extra/Extensions/ /Volumes/[SNOWLEOPARD DISK]/System/Library/Extensions/

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/[SNOWLEOPARD DISK]/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/[SNOWLEOPARD DISK]/System/Library/Extensions/

:D

Thanks,

Rodrigo

• 3 weeks later...
How about if I was able to boot from SL install disk. Can i just rebuild it through the terminal there since I keep getting that same error whether I booted in safe single user mode or not.

Edit:

Yep, it works using SL install disk to rebuild cache. Sweet.

For me it was ok to build a dsdt-file. than i del the cache and the .mkext :( Now i am can first boot my 10.6 ... cross the finger ... HURRRRAAAAY :P

• 2 weeks later...
SOLVED:

As I am using a Chameleon bootloader in a separate partition with extra kexts, I had to apply kextcache to the extensions.mkext in /Extra/

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/[CHAMALEON DISK]/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/[CHAMALEON DISK]/Extra/Extensions/ /Volumes/[SNOWLEOPARD DISK]/System/Library/Extensions/

kextcache -v 1 -m /Volumes/[SNOWLEOPARD DISK]/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/[SNOWLEOPARD DISK]/System/Library/Extensions/

:)

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Same Kernel Panic here in a vostro 1310. i installed it a couple of times before sucessfully (without this KP), but i uninstalled it because my nvidia didn't get the full qe/ci.... now i tried once more, but everytime i get the panic.

gonna try this kextcache repair code, and share results with you....

if you can help me with advise i'd appreciate !...