OpenCL Benches: OLD

mitch_de

33 posts in this topic

Not impossilbe but at this time OpenCL is very new and the Benches may vary much(good)or near no (bad) between different CPU/GPUs.

So its better to run first different benches and after that look which benches are really usefull and which not.

My first o25 OpenCL Bench i, after longer tests, NOT USEFUL anymore. Not because of to less differences in the result, its the OpenCL work, which is to less real/to less complex (only an vector add).

qJulia, in theory, should perform much more real world (number crunching, weather simulation, ....) OpenCL results.

If qJulia shows good differences between cards it can later be used for such an allinone Bench.

But first we must collect the results of very different gpus.

Not impossilbe but at this time OpenCL is very new and the Benches may vary much(good)or near no (bad) between different CPU/GPUs.

So its better to run first different benches and after that look which benches are really usefull and which not.

My first o25 OpenCL Bench i, after longer tests, NOT USEFUL anymore. Not because of to less differences in the result, its the OpenCL work, which is to less real/to less complex (only an vector add).

qJulia, in theory, should perform much more real world (number crunching, weather simulation, ....) OpenCL results.

If qJulia shows good differences between cards it can later be used for such an allinone Bench.

But first we must collect the results of very different gpus.

ok mitch_de, thanks.

:D

will post it at macrumors.

Sadly this fails with the Radeon 4870. ATI really need to write a new driver for this stuff. Anyway, print off from my terminal:

Creating Texture 800 x 800...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Using active OpenGL context...
Connecting to AMD Radeon HD 4870...
Loading kernel source from file 'qjulia_kernel.cl'...
Error: Failed to build program executable!

Failed to setup compute kernel! Error 1

Sadly this fails with the Radeon 4870. ATI really need to write a new driver for this stuff. Anyway, print off from my terminal:

I am in contact with the AMD Apple Develeoper Division to get that problem fixed. But maybe, it belongs to the OpenCL Framework / ATI OpenCL features it cant be fixed by changes in the app, only by OS X update or making changes to the OpenCL Source (the .cl file) as an workaround which isnt really the thinking of an universal OpenCL (vendor universal).

mitch_de, i can't use 9600GT with this benchmark(grass, qjulia, 1024).

any suggestion....?

First :

Snow Leopard needed. Also the 9600GT must run normal, means OpenGL must be available+working and not use only the framebuffer mode (like safe boot, only 1024x768 vga mode).

If you use 10.6 and also can run OpenGL Apps (like OpenGLExtensionsViewer):

What excat happens ?

Any messages in the console listed about the start of the OpenCL apps ?

First :

Snow Leopard needed. Also the 9600GT must run normal, means OpenGL must be available+working and not use only the framebuffer mode (like safe boot, only 1024x768 vga mode).

If you use 10.6 and also can run OpenGL Apps (like OpenGLExtensionsViewer):

What excat happens ?

Any messages in the console listed about the start of the OpenCL apps ?

yes, its in normal mode.

Last login: Thu Sep  3 14:38:01 on console
Rheza-Pahlevis-MacBook-Pro:~ Rheza$ cd /Users/Rheza/Desktop/OpenCl/OpenCL_Qjulia_GPU 
Rheza-Pahlevis-MacBook-Pro:OpenCL_Qjulia_GPU Rheza$ /Users/Rheza/Desktop/OpenCl/OpenCL_Qjulia_GPU/qjulia 
Connecting to NVIDIA GeForce 9400M...
Creating kernel 'QJuliaKernel'...
Allocating compute result image in device memory...
Starting event loop...
2009-09-03 14:41:43.701 qjulia[1130:903] Can't open input server /Library/InputManagers/MultiClutchInputManager.bundle

as u can see there, its only run in 9400m.

I am in contact with the AMD Apple Develeoper Division to get that problem fixed. But maybe, it belongs to the OpenCL Framework / ATI OpenCL features it cant be fixed by changes in the app, only by OS X update or making changes to the OpenCL Source (the .cl file) as an workaround which isnt really the thinking of an universal OpenCL (vendor universal).

Hopefully they'll fix this, they did advertise that the 4870 would work with OpenCL but since applications, even ones compiled from Apple source crash they probably will fix this in the next major SL update. Hope the guy from the AMD division comes back with good news.

That test is using float3 that is not standard. Removing the definition and changing in the code not to use gl texture makes Julia running, though slowly, because memory has to moved back and forth to the graphic card, on Ati4870. The apple tests are old and not compliant with latest opencl specs (that SL comes with).

On the 4870 and Julia I get 16 fps at all times.

ATI gpus ahave major problems with OpenCL. ATI does know that and started to get that fixed.

They also got near none of the Apple OpenCL Source to run:

form ATI OS X divison dev team:

Thank you for the quick response and I hope you extend the benchmark application since it’s a really good idea. Regarding the sample applications posted on the developer.apple.com website (eg. Galaxies, Qjulia, etc), we are aware that some fail (or even crash) on AMD hardware and working to track down all these issues. We suspect that most of these issues will be resolved for the next graphics driver update in Snow Leopard.

BTW, I ran the demos on a iMac with a Radeon 4850 and I get the following results:

============================================================

Sample Application Result

============================================================

1. Trajectories Runs

2. OpenCL Hello World Example Runs

3. OpenCL Procedural Geometric Displacement Example Runs

4. OpenCL Parallel Reduction Example Runs

5. OpenCL Matrix Transpose Example Runs

6. OpenCL RayTraced Quaternion Julia-Set Example Fails

7. OpenCL Procedural Noise Example Fails

8. OpenCL Procedural Grass and Terrain Example Fails

9. OpenCL Parallel Prefix Sum (aka Scan) Example Fails

10. OpenCL NBody Simulation Example Crash

That's fantastic news Mitch! It'll be great to have my 4870 on the 2006 Mac Pro working with OpenCL. I was wanting to learn some OpenCL stuff but since my hardware currently isn't compatible, until they fix the drivers, I'll hopefully only be a month or two behind.

P.S. your link for the ATI Procedural Geometric Displacement FPS Bench isn't working properly.

I compiled my own copy of it so here are my results:

OpenCL Procedural Geometric Displacement

Using 4870 1GB on Mac pro (1,1) 2.66Ghz 4GB RAM

60FPS White Background & Shadow

60FPS Texture & Background

Running at 1024x768

I'm pretty happy with that since the drivers aren't complete for the 4870 yet.

That's fantastic news Mitch! It'll be great to have my 4870 on the 2006 Mac Pro working with OpenCL. I was wanting to learn some OpenCL stuff but since my hardware currently isn't compatible, until they fix the drivers, I'll hopefully only be a month or two behind.

P.S. your link for the ATI Procedural Geometric Displacement FPS Bench isn't working properly.

I compiled my own copy of it so here are my results:

OpenCL Procedural Geometric Displacement

Using 4870 1GB on Mac pro (1,1) 2.66Ghz 4GB RAM

60FPS White Background & Shadow

60FPS Texture & Background

Running at 1024x768

I'm pretty happy with that since the drivers aren't complete for the 4870 yet.

Do ypu have an TFT ?

because same 60 FPS

Check if yoo have beam sncy aktice.

Go to the Menu of the running Bench (right of Apple Menue entry) and to Preferences.....

There is an sync entry which should not be set

Then quit and restart the app again and look if there are changes.

The above doesnt really matter if you are on normal monitor (100+ Hz) but TFT 60Hz may limit gpu bench to 60 FPS.

If same FPS without that sync in preferences, i will post the values as they are. Sure, 60 / 60 FPS are possile :rolleyes:

Thanks - the TFT or not difference does only affect on the Mac which on which the app is running (=ARD Client) not the ARD Host Mac which - TFT on ARD Host doesnt matter;!

An new way of number crunching: ARD OpenCL ;)

Do ypu have an TFT ?

because same 60 FPS

Check if yoo have beam sncy aktice.

Go to the Menu of the running Bench (right of Apple Menue entry) and to Preferences.....

There is an sync entry which should not be set

Then quit and restart the app again and look if there are changes.

The above doesnt really matter if you are on normal monitor (100+ Hz) but TFT 60Hz may limit gpu bench to 60 FPS.

If same FPS without that sync in preferences, i will post the values as they are. Sure, 60 / 60 FPS are possile :)

I got the bench running on a 4870 locally (for some reason, about 2/3rds of the times I launch the bench it fails to draw the graphics correctly) and am getting 84-85 FPS with the white background and blue ball, and 88-89 fps with the textured background & glass ball.

Will be interesting to see how this develops if ATI is working hard to improve the drivers.

Thanks

On what CPU (MacPro, OSX86) do you run the Displacement Bench ?

I got an information that at MacPro 2009 + ATI 4870 the bench fails with an segmentation fault - right before the result window would show.

And you are right, it seems that even that bench not running normal (without any probs / full speed) on ATI 48xx.

So lets wait fro 10.6.1 which isnt very far :)

Update:

An new compiled Displacement (the app only) which was build with GCC 4.2 very less optimzed compiler settings seems to run on ATI 4870 more stable / reliable.

Around 88 FPS on ATI 4870 (two results posted)

I attatched the small dl at the first post as displacement_ATi4870 for overwrite+usage with the whole (normal) 7 MB dl.

Also an new OpenCL Bench Transpose Bandwith added (post 1).

Good benching !! :P

Update:

An new compiled Displacement (the app only) which was build with GCC 4.2 very less optimzed compiler settings seems to run on ATI 4870 more stable / reliable.

Around 88 FPS on ATI 4870 (two results posted)

I attatched the small dl at the first post as displacement_ATi4870 for overwrite+usage with the whole (normal) 7 MB dl.

Also an new OpenCL Bench Transpose Bandwith added (post 1).

Good benching !! :D

Hi mitch_de,

Is there an alternative site for me to download the 7MB "OpenCL_Displacement_Bench.zip" file? I either got "Your IP address xxx.xxx.x.xx is already downloading a file. Please wait until the download is completed." or once I got the right IP address (after trying a few times), after waiting for 50secs, I got the following error:

"The download session has expired. Please click here to start the download again." :)

-vince

Okay, went into work and its displaying at 87fps in the blue ball grey background mode and 84fps in the texture mode.

This is using a Radeon 4870 1GB (sapphire)

Mac Pro (1,1)

2.66Ghz quad core

4GB RAM

Seems that ARD really was limiting my fps to 60.