Help! I/O Errors during boot time

Sword7

2 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

I recently installed leopard 10.5.6 and everything went fine until now. When I tried to boot system, apple screen stays forever. I reset my machine and entered -v -s as options. I noticed that I got many I/O errors during boot time then it stopped at single user. I run fsck to check everything. I exit single user to continue booting but blue screen with mouse pointer stays forever.

I decided to reset my machine and tried to boot system again. That went worse than before and ended up kernel panic due to I/O errors after attempted to read a block 100 times. I finally gave it up.

I returned back to Windows Vista and ran R-studio. It found some unrecoverable bad blocks during drive scanning. It looks like bad hard drive. Its brand name is old WD 500GB drive.

Should I refornat and reinstall system or get new hard drive?

Oh, I got a popup message while I am writing this. It said that Windows now detected a hard disk problem. I clicked show details. Ah! that was WDC WD5000KS-00MNB0 ATA device.

I have to disconnect hard drive from my system right now.

Thanks,

Sword7

Hello folks,

I recently installed leopard 10.5.6 and everything went fine until now. When I tried to boot system, apple screen stays forever. I reset my machine and entered -v -s as options. I noticed that I got many I/O errors during boot time then it stopped at single user. I run fsck to check everything. I exit single user to continue booting but blue screen with mouse pointer stays forever.

I decided to reset my machine and tried to boot system again. That went worse than before and ended up kernel panic due to I/O errors after attempted to read a block 100 times. I finally gave it up.

I returned back to Windows Vista and ran R-studio. It found some unrecoverable bad blocks during drive scanning. It looks like bad hard drive. Its brand name is old WD 500GB drive.

Should I refornat and reinstall system or get new hard drive?

Oh, I got a popup message while I am writing this. It said that Windows now detected a hard disk problem. I clicked show details. Ah! that was WDC WD5000KS-00MNB0 ATA device.

I have to disconnect hard drive from my system right now.

Thanks,

Sword7

BUMP!, but I'm not sure if I have the same problem as you. If I try to boot the iDeneb Install DVD from my USB-Drive (with Chameleon from another USB) first it prints "loading Darwin" and then the white & grey Apple logo appears. but then suddenly the Eee PC (netbook) restarts. It does not seem to matter what I type in for boot commands (I tried almost every combination of -v -x -f) but if I enter cpus=1 the PC stucks at the Apple logo and prints "You have to restart the Computer..." in several languages. I'm using iDeneb 1.4 on a ASUS EEE PC 1000HE with the newest, unmodified BIOS (1001)

Can you help me?