Boot Process Stalls After Loading mach_kernel

vmlemon

9 posts in this topic

It appears that after trying 4 different configurations (involving adding and removing initrd.img files, and manipulating their contents with TransMac under Wine, before replacing the original files within the ISO using MagicISO (also under Wine)) of the boot-132 ISO described here, the furthest I can get using a retail Snow Leopard DVD is "Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 422f700." and a spinner for roughly 45 seconds, before stalling. Am I supposed to wait several minutes or hours for the process to continue (if it ever will)?

Even when booting in verbose mode, or using the -x32 argument, no useful additional information is produced, and it appears that it most likely is not loading the kernel extensions from the boot disc at all.

I have also tried changing the order in which discs are swapped, and 2 other ISOs ("BOOT-132 (iNTEL).iso" - which interestingly produces a checksum error when booting on bare hardware, but does not under a technical preview of VMware Workstation), and "OSXLOADER.iso" which also exhibits the same quirk). Coincidentally, I also have a mountain of useless coasters, from various failed attempts at producing a working disk... ;)

I'm at a loss as to what I should do next, despite re-reading several guides. I assume that it may be necessary to inject additional kexts, although I cannot "safely"/cleanly do so, since I don't have access to an installation of Mac OS X Leopard. My current hardware configuration is described in the post, here, and the output of "lspci -v" is here.

I assume that the hardware itself is incompatible, and that it probably won't be possible to install Mac OS X 10.6, in the short term...

It appears that after trying 4 different configurations (involving adding and removing initrd.img files, and manipulating their contents with TransMac under Wine, before replacing the original files within the ISO using MagicISO (also under Wine)) of the boot-132 ISO described here, the furthest I can get using a retail Snow Leopard DVD is "Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 422f700." and a spinner for roughly 45 seconds, before stalling. Am I supposed to wait several minutes or hours for the process to continue (if it ever will)?

Even when booting in verbose mode, or using the -x32 argument, no useful additional information is produced, and it appears that it most likely is not loading the kernel extensions from the boot disc at all.

I have also tried changing the order in which discs are swapped, and 2 other ISOs ("BOOT-132 (iNTEL).iso" - which interestingly produces a checksum error when booting on bare hardware, but does not under a technical preview of VMware Workstation), and "OSXLOADER.iso" which also exhibits the same quirk). Coincidentally, I also have a mountain of useless coasters, from various failed attempts at producing a working disk... :thanks_speechbubble:

I'm at a loss as to what I should do next, despite re-reading several guides. I assume that it may be necessary to inject additional kexts, although I cannot "safely"/cleanly do so, since I don't have access to an installation of Mac OS X Leopard. My current hardware configuration is described in the post, here, and the output of "lspci -v" is here.

I assume that the hardware itself is incompatible, and that it probably won't be possible to install Mac OS X 10.6, in the short term...

I made a couple of attempts a recreating a boot-132-like CD for snow leopard and got hung on the same thing. SL boot CDs aren't quite ready for prime time yet.

I made a couple of attempts a recreating a boot-132-like CD for snow leopard and got hung on the same thing. SL boot CDs aren't quite ready for prime time yet.

Thanks. I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only person who has been unsuccessful at doing this. It doesn't help that despite being familiar with Darwin, and previous versions of the Mac OS (which counts for nothing in the world of Mac OS X and x86 hardware), I'm unfamiliar with bootstrapping Mac OS X on generic hardware. I guess I'll probably try again in a month or so.

I've spent some more time on this, and the closest I've got to booting the installer was ironically under a recent technical preview of VMware Workstation (where it supposedly doesn't work at all) using the kdetechBoot132SNOW!.iso file, and 2 emulated IDE CD-ROM drives.

With that configuration, I can get as far as starting to load kexts from the boot image, applying a DSDT patch (which wasn't designed for VMware Workstation's synthetic hardware) and reach "Starting Darwin x86", before the guest CPU stops. At least I know now that I cannot blame the boot disc, for the most part.

I assume that the combination of an InsydeH2O-based BIOS with limited configuration options, a Celeron 575 CPU, an Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03) with the configuration listed, with a SATA HDD, and an ATAPI/PATA optical drive connected, and other hardware components are unsupported, or require additional tweaks or even new kexts to function correctly.

SATA Controller (Output of lspci -s 00:1f.2 -v)

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 360b

Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 26

I/O ports at 5108

I/O ports at 511c

I/O ports at 5100

I/O ports at 5118

I/O ports at 5020

Memory at 54705000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Capabilities: <access denied>

Kernel driver in use: ahci

Bad form to reply to my own post so soon, but it appears that the ISO in use is using an older version of the (Legacy)IntelPIIXATA.kext, which I assume may not support the vendor and product ID, or even chipset variant in use in this machine, although ICH9-M is mentioned in the Info.plist file of the said kext.

I assume that it's also necessary to copy my own DSDT.aml file to the ISO (which coincidentally, I extracted earlier, and passed through IASL without any complaints), in order to boot? I'm not sure as far as modifications go, if necessary though.

Significant progress has just been made. I now have a CD that boots into the XNU kernel, before panicking, which is a quantum leap for me, given that I could barely get past the bootloader stage last time. Unfortunately, it does not obey my request to boot in 32-bit mode, although I'm sure that I'll figure something out.

See this page for screenshots, and I'm willing to upload what I have so far, somewhere, so others struggling with an Intel CPU-based Compaq CQ60-111EM can learn from it. I still have a lot more to do, before I'm able to fully boot Snow Leopard's installer, though.

Thanks to the original provider of the CD ISO that it was based upon!

From my experience, being stuck on loading mach_kernel is caused by using the wrong dsmos.kext. I believe you can use fakesmc.kext now instead though.

The CD ISO I was using to produce the kernel panic included fakesmc.kext. I can't remember if the ones that got stuck on mach_kernel included it, so I'll have to extract the initrd.img files and check. Given that I couldn't get another Chameleon ISO to work correctly (it produced graphical corruption, and didn't detect my optical drive at all), it was the best I could do.

I think I'll probably either wait a while longer, until others figure it out, or throw more at the wall, and see what sticks. It doesn't help that I'm new to running Mac OS X on generic hardware, either. (I ended up getting Snow Leopard since it was relatively cheap, as far as Mac OS X goes, and I knew that it'd most likely end up being "fixed" within time to run on non-Apple hardware).

Unfortunately, as mentioned, I don't have access to a working Mac OS X installation, so I can't do much as far as rebuilding new images from scratch goes. Darwin doesn't include the disk image manipulation utilities (e.g. hdiutil) or frameworks either, as they are not open source, which also limits options.

• 2 weeks later...