AirPortAtheros.kext in snow leopard is only 32 bit :-(

68 posts in this topic

So that I don't mess this up:

1) I need to enter an ID similar to what 10torsion did above? How do I know what ID to enter?

2) Is there a really simple tool to install kext files on SL?

Thanks

Just try out, but you have to add your own ID to the driver, it contains only one ID as original.

So that I don't mess this up:

1) I need to enter an ID similar to what 10torsion did above? How do I know what ID to enter?

2) Is there a really simple tool to install kext files on SL?

Thanks

Yes like above, take DPCI Manager for OSX to find out ID of yours, and install it with Kext Helper.

hi pro,

if i use wireless USB, how i can edit <string>pci168c,23</string> ??? PCI168c,23 = USB168c,23??? i speak english not well, sorry :rolleyes:

I dont think this driver supports USB, cause there aren't any USB Airport Cards, but you can try it out, stay with pci168,23

Thanks for all your help.

Using the DPCIM I get 168c:0023 for my Atheros Communications AR51416

Changing the newly downloaded kext file to 168c,23 didn't work - i still have no airport card recognized. I'm using kext helper to install it (and didn't remove the old one). Is there an obvious mistake that I'm making here? Do i need to change it still to -32?

Thanks again!

Yes like above, take DPCI Manager for OSX to find out ID of yours, and install it with Kext Helper.

So the kext is above and the kext we're meant to modify and on netkas.org, there is some instruction to set the devid. As I'm not sure what that is, presumably I'm not doing things correctly.

Any additional guidance or could it be that the Dlink 542 is a lost cause?

Checkout netkas.org and get the new Atheros2.1

Works on my Dlink 556 :) in 64bit

Ok. I guess I'm lead to believe that the file linked to above is not that kext extracted from 10.6.2. Since I have no way of having 10.6.2, I'll have to wait for it to come out.

Checkout the comments against the atheros post and download the atheros kext from 10.6.2.

Then change the id to yours...

The Link given from me is from 10.6.2, the old 32bit only Atheros driver in Plugins is removed.

I think I understand but it still doesn't appear to work for me.

By changing the string to: 168c,23

it still doesn't work for me. When you say re-read the comments, do you mean that I should change my string to 168c,13 since that's the devid that worked for netkas?

Thx

It wont load the kext? If not, try to do it with kextload and look, if Airport is going to be added to Network in System Preferences.

The steps I was taking were as follows:

1. Open the kext in a text editors and make the changes - save it.
  2. Use kext helper to install
  3. Restart
  4. Result: still no airport recognized

I have installed the Kext supposedly from 10.6.2 and numerous other versions to try and get my wireless working. What the hell do I need to do? I found one for 10.5.7 and used that on the 10.5.7 install about a month ago, that wont work in SL. I have installed ones for SL, and they won't work either. My card is Atheros 5000x, that was the name I got AAAAGEEESSS ago and it worked. Can anyone help?