HD4870

elastic

92 posts in this topic

Hello.

I pmed Elastic for step by step guide since he requested it.

Since i made my 4870 work with his evoenabler, but after some mess with SL i started everything from begining. SL is working but only in 1024x768.

I have 4870X2 and Asus P5Q SE. I installed SL. Everything is fine except graphic.

EVOenabler.kext copied to Extra/Extensions folder.

System profiler shows 4870 but cannot change resolution.

Then installed ATI patch (http://netkas.org/?p=137). But this time SL does not boot. It says "Device in slot: SLOT -1" and stucked.

My device ID is 0x9441. I guess EVOenabler and ATI4800controller.kext includes my ID.

I searched many pages and looked netkas but I couldn't find any solution for 2 weeks. Please help me i'm going nuts. What I should to do?

Thanks

Use this package instead. - http://netkas.org/?p=212

Did anyone manage to boot hd 4870 without using evoenabler.kext? using boot.plist o dsdt methods

Well I finaly got my ATI refrence 4870x2 working with full QE & CI under Snow Leopard.

I just installed PC EFI V10.3

from http://netkas.org/?p=224 . Over the top of Chameleon2 RC3.

Then enabled Graphics and ethernet in boot.Plist, rebooted to test if the card/s showed up in the PCI section of System Profiler.

Then I updated to 10.6.1 and checked System Profiler again.

Then I installed QE CI Patch for 10.6.1 for radeons

from http://netkas.org/?p=212 .

Rebooted, opened dashboard and dropped a gadget onto the screen and got the water ripple effect which tells you that QE & CI is working.

No other video card enablers are used.

Well I finaly got my ATI refrence 4870x2 working with full QE & CI under Snow Leopard.

I just installed PC EFI V10.3

from http://netkas.org/?p=224 . Over the top of Chameleon2 RC3.

Then enabled Graphics and ethernet in boot.Plist, rebooted to test if the card/s showed up in the PCI section of System Profiler.

Then I updated to 10.6.1 and checked System Profiler again.

Then I installed QE CI Patch for 10.6.1 for radeons

from http://netkas.org/?p=212 .

Rebooted, opened dashboard and dropped a gadget onto the screen and got the water ripple effect which tells you that QE & CI is working.

No other video card enablers are used.

I will try this in the evening as i've got the same problem like the others in previous few posts, no resolution change with evoenabler and after i installed kext from netkas i couldn't boot. will give it a go and will post results back.... man if this fixes gfx there's just sound to be done and all sorted :unsure:

SUCCESS!

(at least, i believe so eheh)

edited EVOenabler.kext info.plist and replaced the HD4890 <key>entriesToAdd</key> with the one on ATY_init.kext for HD4870

put it on /Extra/Extensions

activated both ATIRadeonX2000.kext and ATI4800Controller.kext

now i have dual DVI and all the goodies working

if anyone wants, i posted the edited EVOenabler.kext

EVOenabler.zip

just tested the setup with apple motion 4, rocking solid for the last hour

I can´t download your evoenabler :-(

The error returned was:

Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.

Can someone plz reupp the kext?

thx in advance

I can´t download your evoenabler :-(

The error returned was:

Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.

Can someone plz reupp the kext?

thx in advance

It's in post #11. I just tried downloading and it works.

Has someone tried a new PC_EFI_v10.3 from netkas? Any success on 4870?

Yes, it works perfectly with my (non-ref) Sapphire Vapor-X 4870 1GB. I am not using any additional kext, DSDT or EFI string fixes (for graphics). A bit more detail in my post in the blackosx's 10.6 install guide thread.

Edit: For clarification, I am running in 32 bit mode as I don't see the point of using 64 bit on a 4GB PC.

With EVOEnabler.kext in /Extra/Extensions all works even without any patching :) (read posts above)

I believe evoenabler.kext is giving problems with the wake from sleep feature. I get no screen once my system wakes up and thus the reason on why I'm looking for a non based kext solution (preferably boot.plist or dsdt method).

Im gonna try netkas 10.3, see how it goes on HD4870 512MB and report back asap.

Crash... Boom... Bang... I've tried pc_efi 10.3 with no success ;) Still need EVOenabler in /E/E, even if "GraphicsEnabler" key is turned on in com.apple.Boot.plist :D

No comments....... :D

Oh well, sorry to hear that. Guess it doesn't work as well on all MB/GFX card combos. :D

Crash... Boom... Bang... I've tried pc_efi 10.3 with no success :( Still need EVOenabler in /E/E, even if "GraphicsEnabler" key is turned on in com.apple.Boot.plist :wacko:

No comments....... :angry:

I just tried it and i had quite an opposite experience!!

My HD 4870 512mb is now automatically recognized without the use of evoenabler.kext or any other kext based modification (ATINRDRV, ATIDRV, ATI4800Controller.kext, etc). Just make sure you remove your efi strings from com.apple.boot.plist and it should work right ahead.

Wake/Sleep are now fully working with the help of SleepEnabler.kext

QE/CI/Res. Change all working.

Probably the best i could get so far with SL 64bits mode.

I just tried it and i had quite an opposite experience!!

My HD 4870 512mb is now automatically recognized without the use of evoenabler.kext or any other kext based modification (ATINRDRV, ATIDRV, ATI4800Controller.kext, etc). Just make sure you remove your efi strings from com.apple.boot.plist and it should work right ahead.

Wake/Sleep are now fully working with the help of SleepEnabler.kext

QE/CI/Res. Change all working.

Probably the best i could get so far with SL 64bits mode.

I got reference HD 4870 512mb and using 64bit.

I removed EVOEnabler.kext, installed PCEFI, set GraphicsEnabler=y in com.apple.boot.plist and as a result the only thing i got is a missing output and the card fan @ 100%.

Where i did wrong?

I got reference HD 4870 512mb and using 64bit.

I removed EVOEnabler.kext, installed PCEFI, set GraphicsEnabler=y in com.apple.boot.plist and as a result the only thing i got is a missing output and the card fan @ 100%.

Where i did wrong?

Have you tried switching to the next DVI port near the mobo, not sure if that would help though. All i did was about installing netkas 10.3 pc efi, removed device properties from boot.plist, removed evoenabler.kext from the /Extra folder, rebuilt Extensions.mkext with 'rebuildcache' script from digital_dreamer, rebooted and voila, full screen resolution 1680x1050 with qe/ci/etc all enabled.

Removing your graphics card information from the DSDT.aml should probably help as well (same effect as com.apple.boot.plist).

For the record, my graphics card is a Sapphire Radeon HD4870 512MB model 100259L.

First : I'm sorry about my bad English

Second : Could someone help me with my ATI HD4870 - 512MB

I using PC EFI 10.v3 and GraphicsEnabler . Everythings follow by the guide of Netkas for my ATI HD4870 .

During the boot (-v) I can saw the log detect my ATI card but after that it's keep STUCK at Ethernet Mac Address ....