Snow Leopard OSX 10.6 on Vostro 1720

ukhan

47 posts in this topic

Hi apoirier. I have a Dell 1720 that I've been trying to get up and running through several reinstalls now. Well, your walkthrough got me up and running without the continuous reboot, but all is not well. I used the boot 10_3 boot loader, as directed, and inserted the com.apple.Boot.plist files in boot the /library/sys whatever folder and the /extra folder. I still have no ethernet, not wireless, I don't think any sound, and it doesn't want to shutdown or restart correctly. Any ideas?

Okay, update. I was able to get sound to work. Still no network drivers, either wired or wireless. It is also not shutting down correctly, nor restarting.

At this point I'm nervous to touch anything. Every other time I do something, it seems to kill the OS and put me into that "You need to restart your computer" error screen that forces me to reinstall the OS. Anyway I can take a restore point so I don't have to go through all of this to get back to where I am now?

For anyone interested, I have wired Ethernet working on my Inspiron 1720. The trick seems to be that this needs to be the first kext installed. The kext I used for my Ethernet driver was AppleBCM440XEthernet.kext. I'm not exactly sure where I found it, but a quick Google search should bring it up for anyone.

On the wireless front, I believe I have a solution as well. The Intel4965agn card may not be hopeless, but it is sure as heck aggravating. A may sane solution seems to be installing a new wireless card. Most have suggested the Dell 1390 card. Well, 1390 is b/g. I don't want to sacrifice my N speeds.

To that note, I started looking up other cards that are compatible with my 1720 on Dells site. It turns out that the Dell 1505 card, which is N, is compatible. If you buy it directly from Dell, it's $80,

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...;chassisid=8453

Who wants to pay that? Not I!

It turns out, that "Dell" card, is actually a Broadcom card. In fact, do an ebay search for the Dell 1505, and some of them will have pictures that you can actually read the labels on them. On the back, it says IC: 4324A-BRCM1022. This is a Broadcom part.

Anyway, I found this out by looking for the Dell 1505 on Google Shopping. I came up with this link:

http://www.hexparts.com/Dell-Wireless-1505...21MC_p_834.html

$32.99 for the part. Less than half of what Dell charges. Not bad. But it get's better. Look on that page, you'll see "Alternative Part Numbers: The first one listed is: BCM94321MC (Broadcom).

Now, get on eBay, and do a search for that one. You can get them starting around $5.99, (if you do the bidding thing), or $15, (if you do the Hong Kong and wait three weeks thing), but I picked mine up for $20 & free shipping from New Jersey. I got it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Broadcom-BCM94321MC-80...995&afsrc=1

There are still two left if anyone wants one.

Anyway, look at the product description:

Add wireless networking to most notebook computers with a Mini PCI Express slot (excludes IBM/Lenovo and HP/Compaq models). Please check with manufacturer or contact me to confirm compatibility.

Specifications

· Form Factor: Mini PCI Express (PCIe)

· Wireless Standards: 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n

· Authentication/Encryption: WPA, WPA2, WEP 64 and 128 bit, CCXv4, AES, CKIP, TKIP, 802.1x, LEAP, TLS, PEAP, EAP-FAST

· Operating Systems: Windows, Linux, Mac OS (Native Airport Support)

REPLACES: Broadcom BCM94321MC; Dell 1500, 1510, MX846, 0NJ449

Hmmmm... Replaces Dell 1500 & 1510. Same part, $20. Oh, looky at OS. Mac OS (Native Airport Support). Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

This "Dell" card is also in Macs. Look at this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Airport-Wireless...=item41451cafc3

Hmmmm. Apple Airport Wireless WiFi Card BCM94321MC Broadcom. That Broadcom part number keeps coming up.

Granted, I don't have it in my hands yet, but I will soon. I have a lucky feeling about this. Anybody else figure this out and just not post it anywhere?

Hmmmm... Replaces Dell 1500 & 1510. Same part, $20. Oh, looky at OS. Mac OS (Native Airport Support). Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

This "Dell" card is also in Macs. Look at this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Airport-Wireless...=item41451cafc3

Hmmmm. Apple Airport Wireless WiFi Card BCM94321MC Broadcom. That Broadcom part number keeps coming up.

Granted, I don't have it in my hands yet, but I will soon. I have a lucky feeling about this. Anybody else figure this out and just not post it anywhere?

Yep an alternative solution, may be christmas is coming sooner this year.

Thx 4 this links

keep us posted

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 post before, i gave a link. Check that link and download the zip file. If you have sigmatel 9205 then it's ok, otherwise search the forum, good luck...

K thanks just a last question, you've already been a great help to me :rolleyes:. When i boot the laptop, wireless works, sometimes it doesn't :S... airport says it's connected to my wireless network, but the internet itself isn't working :s (and at the same time i can do wireless networking on another laptop so the problem isn't with my access point...). Are there drivers that i can install that improve compatability?

First, you have to turn the wireless on before osx load, otherwise it won't work(like my dell 1390=bcm443 chip) . You said it works but it sometimes can't connect. My wireless never act like that, but if it would, i think i would try two things. 1-) Give the ip myself not by the dhcp 2-) search the forum with key words like ionetworkingfamily.kext and of course your wireless name, etc... --- Bytheway maybe you modified ionetworkingfamily.kext or plugins inside it, make sure your ionetworkingfamily.kext(and own plugins) isn't modified. I use completely original kexts except E/E directory. Good luck...

K thanks just a last question, you've already been a great help to me ;). When i boot the laptop, wireless works, sometimes it doesn't :S... airport says it's connected to my wireless network, but the internet itself isn't working :s (and at the same time i can do wireless networking on another laptop so the problem isn't with my access point...). Are there drivers that i can install that improve compatability?

Hi,

Sometime I have the same problem : my internet access is not working even if the connection to my AP is ok. In this case, I found this is a name resolution problem, solved with the command:

sudo killall mDNSResponder

Hope this help

• 3 months later...
Hey First I want to say thnks for the excelent Guide, next, i was wondering has anyone gotten the Sleep, and Trackpad mouse scroll and/or gestures to work yet?, Once again thx for the excelent guide

As far as I know the dell inspiron/vorstro doesn't support gestures. I currently don't have scrolling working yet so if anyone knows how to get it working it would much appreciated.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

OK, i found a myHack installer at myHack Installer, and amizingly enough it worked, i was even able to use the touchpad and keyboard on the laptop when i chose the applePS2 option in the customize when installing it to my USB drive.

Right now i'm unable to get the wireless or sound to work, but the mouse and keyboard work (no tap clicking yet) i found out a minute ago i wasn't installing Kexts the right way.

EDIT: i have wireless working via kexts.com, the one that says something like 'how to enable almost all bcm 43xx' it's just a script that adds lines to the current IONetworkingFamily.kext, it worked like a charm too, and using VoodooHDA sound works same as Leo, no volume control.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
hey i found a fix to the trackpad problem

this is what you need to do

go to your LEOPARD install and go to: /System/Library/Extensions/

once there go to the ApplePS2Controller.kext and right click it

Click on "Show Package Contents"

then click go to /Contents/Plugins/

Copy the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext to your desktop

Next go to the SNOW LEOPARD installation and go to: /System/Library/Extensions

Go to the "VoodooPS2Controller.kext" and right click and "Show Package Contents"

then go through /Contents/Plugins/

Delete the VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext and then copy the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext into there

Rename the "ApplePS2Trackpad.kext" to "VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext"

After that reinstall the VoodooPS2Controller.kext with kextutility and reboot

it's a simple replacement that gets it fixed :P

Does anyone have a copy of the leopard kext file? I dont have mine anymore....

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys, installed on my vostro 1720 using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]

however, i can't fix my resolution -- using onboard graphics.

what can i do?

• 7 months later...

i don't wanna double post, so here's a link to the other one i made:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/........143997#p143997

If anyone can help with fixing sleep, this thread would have EVERYTHING working on this laptop ;)

'Please and Thank You' as me pappy always says :P

EDIT: I GOT SLEEP TO WORK (mostly), Check out the post. Be warned though: you have to edit the DSDT to do so.