Snow Leopard OSX 10.6 on Vostro 1720

ukhan

47 posts in this topic

Ok I finally took the plunge and installed Snow Leopard on my Vostro 1720 laptop. There are some issues, but its a good step in the right direction. This is what I did:

I used the following guides as a basis:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954

and

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227

Note: This had to be a fresh install...upgrading did not work. However, you need to start off in an existing OSX installation in order to prepare the USB Install Image. You need a 8GB USB stick to do this.

Note 2: This is only working right now for 32-bit as I havent tried 64 bit.

Note 3: You need to use a USB keyboard and mouse!

1. In a working OSX install, create a bootable USB drive containing Mac OS X 10.6

This can be done with either a USB hard drive or a Memory stick with a minimum storage of 8GB.

Insert your USB drive and load up Disk Utility and partition the USB drive (name it Install) and make sure it has a GUID partition table.

2. Select the USB partition and click the info button, copy the UUID hex code and keep it somewhere.

3.Install Chameleon 2.0 RC2 r640 to the USB stick

4. Now copy Netkas’ PC EFI v10.1 boot file on to the USB To do this you are going to need to load up the Terminal then copy the file using the command below.

mv -f boot /Volumes/Install/

(Note the boot file is in the zip attached)

5. Next, go back to Disk Utility and select Install from the left pane and then click Restore (4th Tab). For the source image locate your Mac OS X disc image file on your hard drive and Install as the Destination, then making sure ‘Erase Destination’ is unchecked, click Restore. This will restore the 10.6 installer on to your USB drive.

6. Next add all the following kexts from my zip file in to the /Extra/Extensions folder on the USB.

7. Copy the com.apple.Boot.plist file from the zip file to the Extra folder on the USB. Note this includes the EFI string for the graphics card. Snow Leopard actually already supports the GeForce 9600 GS video card out of the box, but not full QE/CI. This string is need for QE/CI. Also note the old SleepEnabler with Cameleon 2.0RC2 doesn't work right now with Snow Leopard. NOTE: You might want to change the resolution set in the file to correspond to your screen.

8. Copy the SMBIOS.plist file to the Extra folder on the USB stick. This SMBIOS.plist was taken from one of the guides above. In order to use it, you need to edit the SMBIOS.plist and paste the UUID hex code you copied earlier, under SMUUID. The other fields can be changed, but I didn't bother.

9. Now you can boot this USB directly to install. Chameleon will load when you boot from the USB. Simply select the Install selection.

10. In order to make things easier, I reworked my mac partitions and formatted my old Mac partition. I created a small EFI partition for Chameleon as the first partition and then Mac OSX as the second (and Windows 7 and others as 4th, etc. This is optional). This EFI partition should be HFS+ and can be as little as 1GB.

11. When you install Snow Leopard, towards the end, the installer will complain that it cannot restart. Simple close it and restart manually. Boot using the chameleon loader on the USB and select the Mac OSX selection.

12. Snow Leopard will now load. Create your user, etc. and now you will be in snow leopard.

13. Now you need to do similar steps to get your SL installation to boot without a USB. Simply install Chameleon 2.0 RC2 r640 to the EFI partition we created earlier. Make sure you customize and untick everything except the Themes, here I have only selected the standard Theme, but it’s up to you. Then choose then the EFI partition as the target location and install. Chameleon will complain that install failed, but ignore it, it still works.

14. Then again, copy the kexts to /Extra/Extensions on the EFI partition, copy over boot to the root of the EFI partition, and copy both SMBIOS.plist and com.apple.Boot.plist to the Extra folder on the EFI parititon.

15. In addition, in the "kexts to be used after install" are kexts for ps2 keyboard and mouse and VoodooHDA. These were taken from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227 However, the trackpad is still not working. The PS2 keyboard on the laptop is. The VoodooHDA is also not working. I only included it to see if anyone else could help fix it. Copy these kexts to the /Extra/Extensions folder on the EFI partition.

15. Finally, you need to update SMBIOS.plist with the UUID of your SL parition. Again this can be taken from DiskUtil

16. Finally, reboot without the USB stick and you should be able to boot into Snow Leopard. If you have any issues with any further kexts you try, you can always boot with USB to boot into your SL installation and fix any issues.

What doesn't work yet:

- Sound - I tried various kexts, none work.

- Trackpad - I tried many again, none work

- Ethernet - I tried many again, none work

- Voodoo Battery and Power don't seem to work

I hope this is a good start, maybe you guys can help me get these issues fixed. Also, please try to put kexts in the Extra/Extensions folder on the EFI partition as it helps to fix issues and keep the installation Vanilla.

vostro1720_SL.zip

Sweet that did it! Thanks apoirier! I installed both the PS2 kexts and hda kexts S/L/E though. Were you able to manage a way to install them in Extra/Extensions?

Any luck with Ethernet, battery and power?

Also do you know if we need DSDT.aml for the Vostro 1720?

hey i found a fix to the trackpad problem

this is what you need to do

go to your LEOPARD install and go to: /System/Library/Extensions/

once there go to the ApplePS2Controller.kext and right click it

Click on "Show Package Contents"

then click go to /Contents/Plugins/

Copy the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext to your desktop

Next go to the SNOW LEOPARD installation and go to: /System/Library/Extensions

Go to the "VoodooPS2Controller.kext" and right click and "Show Package Contents"

then go through /Contents/Plugins/

Delete the VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext and then copy the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext into there

Rename the "ApplePS2Trackpad.kext" to "VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext"

After that reinstall the VoodooPS2Controller.kext with kextutility and reboot

it's a simple replacement that gets it fixed :(

Hi Ukhan

I've also installed the PS2 and HDA kexts in S/L/E, not in E/E.

In attachment, there is the VoodooBattery kext I recompiled for SL 32/64 bits (I only used it in 64 bits).

The VoodooPower is more difficult to recompile because of the direct use of 32 bits assembler code.

Sweet that did it! Thanks apoirier! I installed both the PS2 kexts and hda kexts S/L/E though. Were you able to manage a way to install them in Extra/Extensions?

Any luck with Ethernet, battery and power?

Also do you know if we need DSDT.aml for the Vostro 1720?

Hmm does this replacement also fix tapping? If so, would you mind posting your kext? I deleted my Leopard installation.

I managed to activate click tapping with the VoodooPS2Controller.kext driver.

To me the problem was that the Trackpad prefpane was not showing. So I did

the manipulation described at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;mode=threaded

- In /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Trackpad.prefPane/Contents/Info.plist, delete the two lines:

<key>VendorID</key>

<integer>1452</integer>

- delete the file /Users/<Current User>/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache

Now the Trackpad prefpane appears and you could checked the 'clic' option.

The only problem now is this 'clic' option is forgot accross each reboot.

VoodooBattery.zip

I hoped this may work on my Dell Inspiron 1720 but I can't get past a kernel panic before I get to the language selection screen on install.

IOATAFAMILY is mentioned near where things seem to go badly wrong.

Happens every time, regardless of which boot files I use including the one linked in this thread.

I've a fully working Leopard install so it's frustrating that I can't even begin to install SL.

Hi Ukhan

I've also installed the PS2 and HDA kexts in S/L/E, not in E/E.

In attachment, there is the VoodooBattery kext I recompiled for SL 32/64 bits (I only used it in 64 bits).

The VoodooPower is more difficult to recompile because of the direct use of 32 bits assembler code.

I managed to activate click tapping with the VoodooPS2Controller.kext driver.

To me the problem was that the Trackpad prefpane was not showing. So I did

the manipulation described at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;mode=threaded

- In /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Trackpad.prefPane/Contents/Info.plist, delete the two lines:

<key>VendorID</key>

<integer>1452</integer>

- delete the file /Users/<Current User>/Library/Caches/com.apple.preferencepanes.cache

Now the Trackpad prefpane appears and you could checked the 'clic' option.

The only problem now is this 'clic' option is forgot accross each reboot.

Sweet it worked. Do we need a DSDT.aml file? I'm still confused as to what that's for.

I hoped this may work on my Dell Inspiron 1720 but I can't get past a kernel panic before I get to the language selection screen on install.

Happens every time, regardless of which boot files I use including the one linked in this thread.

I've a fully working Leopard install so it's frustrating that I can't even begin to install SL.

Hmm...I have no idea about this. Sorry.

@Vostro15: the vostro 1720 has the following sound chipset:

Controller: Intel 82801I (vendor ID: 8086, device ID: 293e)

Codec #0: IDT 92HD81B1C (vendor ID: 111d, device ID: 76d5)

@ukhan: a patched DSDT.aml is not totally necessary. We can

see that, even without it, the Snow Leopard install is now nearly

at the same level of working features than we had with Leopard.

But a patched DSDT.aml can help, to make more retails kernel

extensions to work or perhaps to solve the remaining problems

like, for example, the sleep and hibernate states.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you tried this boot CD it worked for me?

Before i had the same problem as you but then i found this Boot CD

http://www.superhai.com/dell-test.html

Download the Dell preboot for 10.6 v0.4

Then burn the dellsnow.iso onto a blank cd with disk utility or Roxio Toast

Boot while pressing the F12 key down and select the CD

Then when you get the drive select screen, take out the disk and insert the snow leopard one and wait for the light to stop flashing. Press F5 and then choose the Mac OS X Install DVD

Do a normal install and when it has finished boot from the Boot CD again and enter you information.

When you are at the desktop use the Chameleon_2_RC3 and install as normal. Then, open up the boot cd in finder and drag the Extra folder over onto your hard drive and replace if needed.

Now you should be able to boot without the CD.

I have also included the kexts for the sound and the wireless.

I have included instructions for installing the wireless kext and it is important that you read them. For installing the other kexts use Kext Helper B7 included in the Kext folder and the instructions to help you.

If and after the Audio and Wireless are working install the Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Update from the apple site:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/appl...1061update.html

If you need anything else just reply. I am currently working on the Ethernet kext and i will post it on this form when it works.

P.S. If you still get a kernel panic turn on your computer while holding the F2 key pressed and then go into Onboard Devices then SATA Operation and change it from AHCI to ATA. Once again if it doesn't work just send me a reply.

Hope it Works

Chameleon_2_RC3.zip

Kexts_for_Dell_Inspiron_1720.zip

I have now the Ethernet port working fine (tested in 64bits mode):

- Use the just released PC EFI v10.3 instead of Chameleon as bootloader

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187870

To do so, replace the '/boot' file by this one:

Download: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=57376

- Put this key into 'com.apple.Boot.plist':

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

- Put the following RealtekR1000 extension in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

Now the Vostro 1720 is nearly a perfect Mac :( Still not working:

- sleep / hibernate

- the memory cards reader

- the fingerprint sensor

- voodoo power (at least in 64bits mode)

- is firewire working fine ? I can't test it

RealtekR1000_1.8.2.zip

<string>Yes</string>

- Put the following RealtekR1000 extension in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

Now the Vostro 1720 is nearly a perfect Mac :) Still not working:

- sleep / hibernate

- the fingerprint sensor

This is good stuff. Installing now. Already got my Dell Mini 9 installed and working great and the install on my 1720 has 21mins to go... then the difficult bits start.. hope I dont muck it up!!

Thanks mate

Mark

This is good stuff. Installing now. Already got my Dell Mini 9 installed and working great and the install on my 1720 has 21mins to go... then the difficult bits start.. hope I dont muck it up!!

Thanks mate

Mark

Having no luck. Can boot without CD now - good. No audio, wireless or ethernet - bad

Useless lump of laptop at the moment.

arrrrrhhhh.

<string>Yes</string>

Now the Vostro 1720 is nearly a perfect Mac ;) Still not working:

- sleep / hibernate

- the fingerprint sensor

The firewire seems to be working great on my inspiron 1720 up to speeds of 400MBs

<string>Yes</string>

Now the Vostro 1720 is nearly a perfect Mac :hysterical: Still not working:

- sleep / hibernate

- the fingerprint sensor

I haven't had much luck with the ethernet on my dell inspiron 1720 i have tried the .kext you provided but still no luck. Help would be appreciated. :hysterical:

@cp96, did you follow all the steps ? It's really important to change the bootloader to PC EFI v10.3, configure it to detect the ethernet port and put the Ethernet kext into the IONetworkingFamily plugins.

I have tried a lots of settings before and it's the only one which is working for me.

@cp96, did you follow all the steps ? It's really important to change the bootloader to PC EFI v10.3, configure it to detect the ethernet port and put the Ethernet kext into the IONetworkingFamily plugins.

I have tried a lots of settings before and it's the only one which is working for me.

Where is this file? 'com.apple.Boot.plist' - there is one in the Extra's folder and another in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder.

Which to I add the ethernet entries into? Can you post example of yours?

Mark

Where is this file? 'com.apple.Boot.plist' - there is one in the Extra's folder and another in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder.

Which to I add the ethernet entries into? Can you post example of yours?

Mark

Here is my complete 'comp.apple.Boot.plist' file, with 64bits mode and Ethernet detection activated, and the graphics EFI string.

About its location : I did so many tries that on my laptop this file is now installed both in '/Extra' and in '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration'

com.apple.Boot.plist.zip

Thanks, it's working now

:)

Here is my complete 'comp.apple.Boot.plist' file, with 64bits mode and Ethernet detection activated, and the graphics EFI string.

About its location : I did so many tries that on my laptop this file is now installed both in '/Extra' and in '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration'

Cool, trying this now.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, it's working now

;)

Hi cp96. I have an Inspiron 1720, too. I see you have luck with the ethernet. Can you help me in this? I have a Snow Leopard install on my laptop and only the network, the shutdown-restart, sleep mode and dvd read/burn not working. I would appreciate if you can share your experience with one of these things. Thanks.

Hi apoirier. I have a Dell 1720 that I've been trying to get up and running through several reinstalls now. Well, your walkthrough got me up and running without the continuous reboot, but all is not well. I used the boot 10_3 boot loader, as directed, and inserted the com.apple.Boot.plist files in boot the /library/sys whatever folder and the /extra folder. I still have no ethernet, not wireless, I don't think any sound, and it doesn't want to shutdown or restart correctly. Any ideas?