Snow Leopard on Inspiron 1520

matmatoo

22 posts in this topic

Hey everyone

Well, this is prob the 6th post asking the same question but...

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!

I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 currently on my Dell Inspiron 1520 and need help installing Snow Leopard - "SL".

Ive tried many boot cds and I get to a black screen every time with my dvd retail copy of SL stopping reading..

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 (2.4 GHz/4MB L2 Cache) OS: Microsoft Vista Home Premium Hard Drive: 160 GB SATA @ 5400RPM Screen: 15.4" WSXGA Widescreen (1680 x 1050) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 256MB RAM: 4.0GB DDR2 SDRAM @667 MHz (2 x 2GB) Optical Drive: 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/Double Layer Support Battery: 9-cell lithium ion Wireless: Intel 4965AGN Weight: 6.4 lbs Dimensions: 1.47-1.65” (H) x 14.12 “ (W) x 10.59" (D) Ports/Slots: 1 IEEE 1394 (FireWire); 4 Universal Serial Bus (USB 2.0); 8-in-1 Memory Card Reader; VGA Out; S-Video; RJ-45 Ethernet LAN; RJ-11 Modem; ExpressCard 54mm; stereo in, headphone/speaker out and dual digital mics

Someone, PLEASE HELP get SL running!!

Matt

You cannot boot from a Retail DVD - try SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM_v3.5 - it worked for me on my Inspiron 1720 (The same Laptop as yours, only 17" and a second HDD :( ) My only Problem is that QE/CI is not working, but I try my best :)

Also you can try a Retail Install, but I think Install via this Image is much easyer!

Lucky Installing (and sorry for my bad English)

You cannot boot from a Retail DVD - try SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM_v3.5 - it worked for me on my Inspiron 1720 (The same Laptop as yours, only 17" and a second HDD :) ) My only Problem is that QE/CI is not working, but I try my best :P

Also you can try a Retail Install, but I think Install via this Image is much easyer!

Hi blade5502,

I also have an Inspiron 1720, could you please let me know your specs and bios version and settings. I have tried this cd, it installs fine but will not boot. It starts to boot up and then crashes instantly.

Thanks

HI

I have a similar inspiron 1520 .I'd like to know what Kext's ppl are using and I am curious about audio with the STAC9205 drivers under SL .If someone could post the steps they used with the above install that too would be greatly appreciated

many thanx in advance

Dru

You cannot boot from a Retail DVD - try SnowOSX_Universal_10.6(432)GM_v3.5 - it worked for me on my Inspiron 1720 (The same Laptop as yours, only 17" and a second HDD :withstupid: ) My only Problem is that QE/CI is not working, but I try my best ;)

Hi I ran across this post I hope it helps I haven't tried it out

Nvidia 8600gt

Hi

Can you tell me the easiest way to get 10.5.8 or 10.5.7 up and running.

So far I can do an install with iatkos 10.5.4. 1440x900 no QE/CI or sound. Chose speed step kernel and can boot with out any flags. No luck yet with iatkos 10.5.7 or ideneb 10.5.8. Usally kernel panic on DVD boot.

Looks kind of promising even let me take a logon picture during setup. Now no cam with photo-booth most likely from display driver.

Is everything working but the wireless, ie sleep etc?

Thanks

1440x900 display, 8600GT video, C2D 1.6, 120 gig drive , BT, Cam,Firewire.

I was hesitant to get this Dell as there's endless threads on these 8600gt /Nvidia manufacturing Foobars, as well as battery and Adapter issues. But couldn't resist a bargain.

What bios do you recommend? looks likeI have the original 00 bios here. I saw an 07 bios or something but the threads mentioned Dell had put the Nvidia fan on full time to help quell the failures.

PS Finally bought Snow Leopard , still packaged in the Box M-audio hasn't even got drivers out yet, I can wait.

Hi

So far I can do an install with iatkos 10.5.4. 1440x900 no QE/CI or sound. Chose speed step kernel and can boot with out any flags. No luck yet with iatkos 10.5.7 or ideneb 10.5.8. Usally kernel panic on DVD boot.

Looks kind of promising even let me take a logon picture during setup. Now no cam with photo-booth most likely from display driver.

Thanks

Well under 10.5 .x I have been running fine for about 2 years the only thing I hadn't got working was shutdown and sleep ... but with the above dsdt edit that should be fixed I haven't got around to adding it to my dsdt .I also haven't had a chance to download SL as yet as my server was hacked and my download quota for the month have been used so I am shaped to 3k a sec .That will switch back in 2 days so i was thinking of seeing how SL will run

chat soon Mary

I was hesitant to get this Dell as there's endless threads on these 8600gt /Nvidia manufacturing Foobars, as well as battery and Adapter issues. But couldn't resist a bargain.

What bios do you recommend? looks likeI have the original 00 bios here. I saw an 07 bios or something but the threads mentioned Dell had put the Nvidia fan on full time to help quell the failures.

PS Finally bought Snow Leopard , still packaged in the Box M-audio hasn't even got drivers out yet, I can wait.

iAtkos 10.5.7

Got the above installed.

No CI/QE

Display @ 1440x900

Sound works good

Tried a few different NVinjext.kext nothing yet NVkush blacked screen. thinks it needs 512 Video ram trick.

Have to learn make a dsdt as well

Needs fine tuning to get sleep etc. Noticed -v boot has yellow lines ACPI fail.

Using Kernel 9.7 off disk.

Hearing Vanilla is working , which method would install that?

• 1 month later...
Hey guys,

Anyone got sleep/restart/shutdown & audio working in 10.6.1 ?

I've got a Dell Inspiron 1720.

Thanks!

I've got an Inspiron 1720 as well. I'm having some issues getting a stable install.

I've tried the following boot discs with the Mac OS X Snow Leopard DVD: Empire EFI, Mac Your PC's Boot-132.

Each method gets me up and running, to a point. Basically, I run the whole fracking install, get into the OS, and I either patch the OS using myHack Installer with the Empire EFI disc, or a series of terminal commands on Boot-132.

Most of the time, the result is identical. I get an error upon reboot, telling me I have to reboot my PC. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Does anybody have any ideas? My Dell has 4 GB ram, the NVIDIA 8400 graphics card, the Intel 4965AGN Wireless card (not working), and a Broadcom ethernet port (also not working). Getting rather frustrated after about 6 installs today.

I've got an Inspiron 1720 as well. I'm having some issues getting a stable install.

I've tried the following boot discs with the Mac OS X Snow Leopard DVD: Empire EFI, Mac Your PC's Boot-132.

Each method gets me up and running, to a point. Basically, I run the whole fracking install, get into the OS, and I either patch the OS using myHack Installer with the Empire EFI disc, or a series of terminal commands on Boot-132.

Most of the time, the result is identical. I get an error upon reboot, telling me I have to reboot my PC. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Does anybody have any ideas? My Dell has 4 GB ram, the NVIDIA 8400 graphics card, the Intel 4965AGN Wireless card (not working), and a Broadcom ethernet port (also not working). Getting rather frustrated after about 6 installs today.

It's the OS X Nvidia driver that is causing our sleep, shutdown & restart to fail. I have nailed it down to this. If I boot the system with it's generic graphic driver then sleep, shutdown & restart work. Even if I use an ATI driver for my Nvidia 8600M GT I can get these three to work.

Anyone on the forum have kext building knowledge that could either edit the vanilla Nvidia 8xxx kext or compile an Nvidia fix kext, you'd have hundreds of adorning laptop fans!!! :D

It's the OS X Nvidia driver that is causing our sleep, shutdown & restart to fail. I have nailed it down to this. If I boot the system with it's generic graphic driver then sleep, shutdown & restart work. Even if I use an ATI driver for my Nvidia 8600M GT I can get these three to work.

Anyone on the forum have kext building knowledge that could either edit the vanilla Nvidia 8xxx kext or compile an Nvidia fix kext, you'd have hundreds of adorning laptop fans!!! :)

I was hoping the dsdt.aml I edited would fix the shutdown reboot sleep problem but alas not joy

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a *similar* problem to tamorgen.

Dell Inspiron 1525

1. Installs fine via boot 132 / Retail SL cd

2. Snow leo boots post install (in safe mode for some reason), i do all the patches/fixes etc.

3. upon restart, the dell never boots past the grey apple logo, the screen goes black and thats it.

ive tried all manner of chameleon flags but no matter what i do i cant get in to SL more than once (that first time after install), even if i dont add any patches and just reboot it from that first time it still won't load a second time.

installed so many f...kn versions of leopard/snow leopard now and its driving me nuts ;) does anyone have any ideas on how i might find out what is causing the black screen?

thanks in advance for any help, much appreciated

• 1 month later...

I have the Inspiron 1520 but with the X3100 gfx. I used the boot-132 method with the retail snow. Graphics work oob with the apple drivers no problem although you still need the expose sleep corner trick to wake up the display at bootup. I used the voodoo kexts for audio, trackpad and battery, everything else was fine, even sleep.

• 2 weeks later...
I have the Inspiron 1520 but with the X3100 gfx. I used the boot-132 method with the retail snow. Graphics work oob with the apple drivers no problem although you still need the expose sleep corner trick to wake up the display at bootup. I used the voodoo kexts for audio, trackpad and battery, everything else was fine, even sleep.

Hi could you tell me which boot 132 method you used and pehaps could give me the files ? i have tried different boot 132 cd's but on leopard wallpaper i get KP.

I also have the inspiron 1520 gma 965

any help will be greatly appreciated

Regards

Joshua

hi im running Snow leopard Universal v 3.6 with my inpiron 1720 everything is working only problem is my network. i tried to install DWL G122 but could not detect anyone please help..

hey... try out my guide, pretty sure your card probably has a broadcom chipset.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;mode=linear

If that doesn't work, e-mail me and I'll do my best to help...

• 2 months later...
Hi

Thanks

hi there!!!

for dell inspiro1520, if you have to install Ipc 10.5.6, it is very easy, everything is working except sleep, restart and shut down but if look for the right kext you'll fix that too. i'm running Ipc on a external usb hdd, no problem at all with all the updates from apple.

• 1 year later...