HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

wziard

482 posts in this topic

Because for some reason the system doesn't detect Win7 in AHCI mode, and when in SATA mode the system doesn't detect the OSX install. This is the reason on why Chameleon can't see Win7. It makes no sense to me...hopefully someone with a spare drive can try to do some troubleshooting with me and see if we can figure it out.

You probably installed Windows 7 with the BIOS set to something other than AHCI. Have you tried a repair installation with the BIOS set to AHCI? I can confirm that it works here.

EDIT: You may want to disconnect your Mac drive during the repair just to be safe.

Well i tried to do a completely new install with win7 on AHCI mode, however it literally will not even detect the hard drive in that mode. I have to be doing something stupid here, but i really am not that dumb (usually). The minute i switch to SATA mode win7 detects the HD with the exact same configuration. Any thoughts?

Well i tried to do a completely new install with win7 on AHCI mode, however it literally will not even detect the hard drive in that mode. I have to be doing something stupid here, but i really am not that dumb (usually). The minute i switch to SATA mode win7 detects the HD with the exact same configuration. Any thoughts?

Ah, the joys of computers.

BIOS Update? Clear the motherboard CMOS settings with the jumper?

Is the drive from an old system and maybe you had to change jumpers on it so it would be compatible?.....now you need to change them back?

There's a new Extra snapshot attached to this post that is the result of many hours of reading these forums and others around the net. It is intended to replace your existing /Extra folder. Make a backup! Comments and improvements welcome!

Most of the information I used was in these threads/sites...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189562

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181981

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...mp;hl=SLOW+SATA

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=168014

http://www.uphuck.ggrn.de/forum/viewtopic....987&p=37648

http://www.osx86.es/?lang=en

http://netkas.org

See posts #1, #80, #116 of this thread for any additional info.

Many thanks to beerkex'd, THe KiNG, csharpmac, FormerlyKnownAs, DigitalDJ, zhell, Chameleon team, wziard and anyone else I'm missing.

The only thing that doesn't seem to be working is Restart and Shutdown(but only when there has been a Sleep/Wake cycle, if you don't sleep Restart and Shutdown works). If anyone has a fix let me know!

Here's a brief rundown...

Use the PC EFI 10.3 boot file, it's in the root of the zip file just:

cp bootpcefi10.3 /boot

You should already have at least Chameleon RC2 installed.

You'll have to modify com.apple.Boot.plist to specify your graphics mode and busratio, it's set for a Core i7 920. GraphicsEnabler is working fine with my GTX260 and many Nvidia cards should just work. For ATI see the websites above(netkas and osx86.es)

The dsdt.aml file has the some of the devices renamed to those of a real Mac, a device-id hack so AppleLPC.kext will load, and "Windows 2006" patch. You can use vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and your CPU will run nice and cool. I have 35C/95F idle temps.

The kexts in the SLE folder need to be moved to your /System/Library/Extensions folder. There's a .txt file in there with more info. The CPUInjector.kext is setup for a 920, see DigitalDJ's thread if you need to change it for other processors. If you previously renamed AppleHDA.kext you'll have to reinstate it, using AD2000b.kext now instead of VoodooHDA.kext.

Tweak smbios.plist for your CPU clock and UUID. The last 8 digits should be the MAC address of your ethernet card(ifconfig -a ether property).

That's about it, don't forget to fix the permissions on the files.

Download here:

UPDATED Everything is in Extra now. DSDT HDEF added so HDAEnabler isn't needed.

I tried your twos DSDT and i have my i7 running at 55-60 degrees at stock speed with no disabler.

Is these temps are too hot ?

Any one have the same issue or it's normal ?

Which version and release of Windows7 are you trying to install? I've got Ultimate, 64bit version and I've no problems at all with it recognizing my drives, installing or booting. I can even boot to win7 in IDE mode (assuming I installed it in AHCI mode).

I'm wondering if you're using a windows7 install disk that is either older, or possibly one which was distributed with a machine that had no AHCI capabilities (I'm just guessing here...)

Or perhaps it is a featural limitation of the drive or its physical configuration (jumpers, etc.) or firmware?

I've also always been able to easily boot to windows from chameleon.

Good luck and happy new year!

I tried your twos DSDT and i have my i7 running at 55-60 degrees at stock speed with no disabler.

Is these temps are too hot ?

Any one have the same issue or it's normal ?

I had temps of 55-60 until I change the C-State in my bios. Now they're always in the hi 30's to mid 40's.

Advanced>CPU Configuration

Intel(R) C-STATE Tech - Enabled
C State package limit setting - Auto

I had temps of 55-60 until I change the C-State in my bios. Now they're always in the hi 30's to mid 40's.

Advanced>CPU Configuration

Intel(R) C-STATE Tech - Enabled
C State package limit setting - Auto

Thanks a lot, i will try this tomorrow !

Does this affect the performances of the CPU ? What is the C-State ?

Thanks a lot, i will try this tomorrow !

Does this affect the performances of the CPU ? What is the C-State ?

Wow !

Everything is working fine now !

I only have ad2000b.kext, openhaltrestart and FakeSMC, the system is running fine.

The CPU is at 35-40 degrees at idle.

Thanks a lot !

well i changed to rc4 but kept my efi 10.5 boot file... and definitely noticing slight slowing of graphics switching when i turn on my second monitor and at boot... have a gtx285ocx...

what boot file is everyone using now and what has changed in your extras over last month or so??? hard to keep this updated when it works but...

Which version and release of Windows7 are you trying to install? I've got Ultimate, 64bit version and I've no problems at all with it recognizing my drives, installing or booting. I can even boot to win7 in IDE mode (assuming I installed it in AHCI mode).

I'm wondering if you're using a windows7 install disk that is either older, or possibly one which was distributed with a machine that had no AHCI capabilities (I'm just guessing here...)

Or perhaps it is a featural limitation of the drive or its physical configuration (jumpers, etc.) or firmware?

I've also always been able to easily boot to windows from chameleon.

Good luck and happy new year!

I do have a retail version of Windows 7 Pro x64, and i did find the issue (finally). For some reason my version does not allow ACHI drivers to be used (during the install). So i installed the OS using RAID setting in the bios. Once the OS was installed i simply edited the registry with the following:

navigate to:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

Change the "Start" value to 0

restart back into AHCI mode so the drivers can install.

Finally i changed the bios back to AHCI mode and windows 7 booted right up, once I entered windows the ACHI driver installed automatically and asked me to reboot again. Thanks for the ideas everyone, and i hope this helps someone else!

Well, i'm finally on SL with 100% everything working except one thing (not sure if this is doable). I am currently dual booting win7/SL perfectly on a pair of WD Raptors with the mobo in ACHI mode using my fix above. I also have a pair of 750GB WD's raided for storage. Is there any way to see those drives in OSX?

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

Core i7 920

EVGA Geforce 285GTX 1GB

2xWD Raptors (SL/WIN7)

2xWD 750GB RAID STORAGE

If anyone needs help with a similar setup, let me know!

Well, i'm finally on SL with 100% everything working except one thing (not sure if this is doable). I am currently dual booting win7/SL perfectly on a pair of WD Raptors with the mobo in ACHI mode using my fix above. I also have a pair of 750GB WD's raided for storage. Is there any way to see those drives in OSX?

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2

Core i7 920

EVGA Geforce 285GTX 1GB

2xWD Raptors (SL/WIN7)

2xWD 750GB RAID STORAGE

If anyone needs help with a similar setup, let me know!

Did you find a solution for RAID drives in SL ?

I have same motherboard as you and i planed to buy drives and put it in raid0 for my storage.

First of all thank you to all who have contributed on this thread. I have a problem that im stumped on. When i enable sleep everything shuts down fine. but when i wake my second monitor does not come back on. Displays in the the settings shows its active but there is no signal. This second monitor is attached with a vga dongle. Also after the wake restart does not work (Just hangs after Marvel stuff)

10.6 Install with #123 extensions and dsdt.aml

PC EFI 10.5 boot

Upgraded to 10.6.2 w/ NullPowermanagement and sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.2

P6T Deluxe V2 BIOS 504

i7 920

ASUS HD 4870 512MB Dark Knight

Thanks in advance.

First of all thank you to all who have contributed on this thread. I have a problem that im stumped on. When i enable sleep everything shuts down fine. but when i wake my second monitor does not come back on. Displays in the the settings shows its active but there is no signal. This second monitor is attached with a vga dongle. Also after the wake restart does not work (Just hangs after Marvel stuff)

10.6 Install with #123 extensions and dsdt.aml

PC EFI 10.5 boot

Upgraded to 10.6.2 w/ NullPowermanagement and sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.2

P6T Deluxe V2 BIOS 504

i7 920

ASUS HD 4870 512MB Dark Knight

Thanks in advance.

If you are using DSDT from post #123, you can remove NullCPUM and active C-State in the BIOS. Also, my system sleep perfectly without sleepenabler, so try without it.

I know there is an option in the BIOS (I use 0704, but i'm sure it's in 504 too) that allow to re-post the video card on system wake-up.

Try to play with these settings.

-pOxbOx

Snow Leopard Retail Install on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Intro: This guide is basically pulling together bits and pieces from a hundred different things I read in the process of figuring this out, but I do believe I now have a good, clean method of installing Snow Leopard a432 (retail edition) on my hardware. This should work with most similar hardware configurations, just be aware that I've written the audio/ethernet/graphics section specifically for the P6T Deluxe V2 and my graphics card. My setup:

Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.3ghz

nVidia GTS 250

1gb WD SATA drive

*note before beginning: I use the terms "copy" and "move" interchangeably; I'm not being specific.

**other note: Since you will be doing all of the setup from a drive/OS other than the 10.6 installation you're installing, keep in mind that "/System/Library/Extensions" is on your current system, while "/Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions" is the Snow Leopard drive. Just make sure you're not accidentally doing anything to your own system throughout the guide.

I. Installing Snow Leopard

This can be done a variety of ways, all we're trying to do is get a clean retail installation of SL onto a fresh disk/partition. Since I have a MacBook Pro and an external SATA enclosure, I just attached my drive to the laptop and installed straight from the disc, so that is what I will describe. If you have multiple internal drives you could copy the retail DVD to a drive and run the installer from there, or run it straight from the disc onto the drive you'll be installing on, whatever. All you need to end up with is a hard drive with a clean 10.6 install on it.

a. Connect USB SATA drive to Mac

b. Open Disk Utility. Select the USB drive in the sidebar and erase/reformat it, I used Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). In this guide I will assume the name of the drive is "Snow." Ensure that the Partition Map Scheme is GUID. If it's not, click the "Partition" tab and setup a single partition (or more, if you desire, one is easiest though) with GUID.

c. IMPORTANT: Once the reformat/partitioning is complete, go to "Get Info" on the drive and look toward the bottom. Unlock the "Sharing & Permissions" section and uncheck "Ignore Ownership."

d. To run the installer, open Terminal and enter the following:

open '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg'

* This assumes you're running it straight from the disc. If this is not the case (for instance if you made a .dmg of the disc and then restored it to a separate drive/partition), amend the file path appropriately.

e. Click through the install dialogue, click "Customize" and deselect printer driver, additional fonts, additional languages that you don't want. Let the install go, should take around 15-20 minutes.

II. Installing Bootloader and DSDT patch

a. Download this pack of useful materials that I have generously put together: click

b. Run the Chameleon installer (Chameleon-2-1.0-r431.pkg) and be sure to change the install location to the drive you just put 10.6 on.

c. Run this in terminal:

sudo -s
  rm /Volumes/Snow/boot

* Remember to change the above path if your 10.6 drive is not called "Snow"

d. From the download pack, move "boot" to the root directory of your Snow drive. (The last step was deleting the old one, you're just replacing it with one that will work.)

e. Copy "dsdt.aml" from the download pack to the root directory of your Snow drive, but only if you have the same motherboard/cpu setup as me. If not, or if you encounter weird problems later, use the DSDT patcher GUI (also in download pack). To use that, just open the app, choose "Darwin/Mac OS X," check "Apple DSDT Patch to:", select your 10.6 drive from the drop-down, and hit "Run DSDT Patcher."

III. Kexts and smbios

a. Open the folder "Kexts" in the download pack and copy them all to /Snow/Extra/Extensions. You can also throw in any kexts I didn't include that you know you will need, if you're using different hardware.

b. Put "Kext Utility" (from the download pack) in Applications, your dock, wherever, and drag the folder /Snow/Extra/Extensions onto it. This will repair the kext permissions and create a new Extensions.mkext file.

c. Move "smbios.plist" from the download pack into /Snow/Extra.

IV. Ethernet fix (only for Asus P6T's Yukon 88E8056)

a. Open up Terminal, enter the following:

sudo nano /Volumes/Snow/System/Library/Extensions/<a class="linkification-ext" href="[url="http://IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist"]http://IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist[/url]" title="Linkification: [url="http://IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist"]http://IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist[/url]">[url="http://IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist"]IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist[/url]</a>

Find <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> and make it <key>Yukon-88E8056</key> (change 53 to 56)

Find <string>0x436211AB</string> and make it <string>0x436411AB</string></key> (change 62 to 64)

Find <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper SA</string> and make it <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper SA</string> (change 53 to 56)

Hit ctrl + o and then enter to save the file, then ctrl + x to exit nano.

AT THIS POINT YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RESTART, SEE THE LOVELY CHAMELEON BOOTLOADER SCREEN, SELECT YOUR LEOPARD DRIVE, AND BOOT TO IT. If you don't see the lovely Chameleon bootloader screen make sure you're booting to the proper drive/partition, etc. If you encounter strange error(s) while booting, enter "-v" on the chameleon screen (just type it and it will show up on the bottom, then hit enter to boot) and see what it reports.

Edit: at this point you should be doing the last couple steps from your new Snow Leopard system, not from the remote system. Cleverly, we fixed ethernet before the first boot, so that should work.

V. Graphics fix

Props to Aquamac for his work on this. I'm just reposting his instructions here for convenience.

a. Download the necessary files for your nVidia graphics card (I'm not sure what to do for ATI cards, look around) from this page (the one in the download pack is for GTS 250): click

b. Copy the two files you downloaded (gfxutil and in.plist) to your desktop.

c. Enter this in Terminal:

cd ~/desktop 
  ./gfxutil -f display

You'll get something like this returned: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0xe,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

d. Copy that string, open "in.plist", and replace the provided string with the one you copied. Save in.plist.

e. Back in the same Terminal window, do this:

./gfxutil -i xml -o hex ./in.plist ./out.hex

f. A file called "out.plist" has appeared, magically, it seems, on your Desktop. Open it in a text editor and copy the string (or memorize it).

g. Open "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" in a text editor, and add some lines at the bottom before </dict></plist>:

<key>device-properties</key>
  <string>PASTE YOUR LONG HEX STRING HERE!</string>
  <key>Graphics Mode</key>
  <string>1280x1024x32</string>

*Stick your own screen resolution in there so system startup looks nice.

h. Save that file, or if it won't let you, save it under a different name somewhere else, delete the original, and copy the new one over (with the same name as the original, com.apple.Boot.plist).

i. Also put the new com.apple.Boot.plist in /Volumes/Snow/Extra/.

VI. Sound Fix

a. Terminal:

rm /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

b. From the downloaded package, drag "VoodooHDA.kext" to Kext Utility, it will install it.

That's all.

Run Kext Utility again to make sure all permissions are set right, restart, and you should have working graphics and sound. Only the line-out works and not my front headphone jack, but this is the best I could do. If anyone gets it fully working let us know. Also I can't get IDE devices to show up even with the AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, if someone figures that out I'd love to know.

Good luck.

- wziard

You are my hero! Thanks to your excellent guide I got my P6T D2 with GTX295 video card running 10.6 SL!

Pic here of my setup.

Do we have any known good way of upgrading to 10.6.2. I tried to upgrade straight from software update today and now i get a kernal panic.

"panic (cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80002cdad1) Version mis-match between kernal and cpu....etc."

I dont know enough yet how to fix this using command line if you even can. So it looks like i'll have to redo everything again tomorrow to get it back up and running. I'd still like to update to 10.6.2 if possible. Let me know if anyone has done this or maybe it's posted already and i missed it.

well it looks like i found out what my issue was....does anyone know how i can remove that kext or move it via command line so i don't have to redo anything?

For the 10.6.2 update, just be sure to put SleepEnabler.kext (10.6.2 version) in your Extra folder. Otherwise, you will get a kernel panic. I have updated with the combo pack (10.6 to 10.6.2) and it went great. The only major difference is the kernel (Darwin 10.2).

Hit Tab at boot and type: -s at the boot prompt to get into single user.

Type in the two commands to mount your root file system(they are shown right above the shell prompt)

fsck / -y

mount -uw /

cd /Extra/Extensions

mv SleepEnabler.kext SleepEnabler.disabled

cd /Extra

kextcache -m Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

reboot

If you use the files in post #123 and have your BIOS settings properly set you don't even need SleepEnabler.kext.

wow, thanks. Everything is up and running perfectly again on 10.6.2. I simply took everything from post #123 and replaced my Extras folder. I did need to add the kext from post #20 to make audio work, and added my video device ID to com.apple.boot.plist to make my video work because i got black screen at first (thank god for Mac Drive 8 for windows).

There are a few things from post #123 that aren't really explained that well, and i wanted to verify before i did anything else.

-He says to use bootpcefi10.3...i'm assuming rename it to just 'boot' then you have to do sudo -s rm /Volumes/Snow/boot, then put it in the 'Snow' root directory like it says to do in post #1? What will this help with by doing this, since everything seems to be fine right now without it?

-He says "Tweak smbios.plist for your CPU clock and UUID. The last 8 digits should be the MAC address of your ethernet card(ifconfig -a ether property)." I didn't do this, because i was doing it from windows and had no idea what my UUID was. If everything is running fine, should i do it? Where do i find my UUID?

Is someone able to tell me how to edit my chameleon 2.0 RC3 boot list. It currently shows all my hard drives (even if they have no OS installed). I want to edit it so it only shows the two selections that it needs. It makes it much easier for my wife. Also should i upgrade to chameleon 2.0 RC4, since it's out? Does anyone have a .mpkg for it if i should?

Sorry for all of my questions, I am quite new and still learning a lot about all this (obviously). Thanks for all the help in advance from everyone in this thread, and on this forum.

First let me say that I'm a total OSX86 noob and know nothing about modifying kext or DSDT.aml files.....

So I flashed to the newest BIOS 0704 and everything works fine.....

....I noticed that Shutdown and Restart now work properly after a Sleep/Wake cycle, it used to hang with a black screen and fans running. I don't know if this is due to the drive being connected via USB or something in the new BIOS. If anyone using SATA would like to test and post their results that would be great.

0704 does fix reboot after sleep, shutdown after sleep worked for me with 0610 and still does with 0704. Sleep then reboot or shutdown is working with BIOS 0704 with 10.6.2 on SATA HDD and 10.6 on a USB thumbdrive.

but there is a new boot loader. PC EFI 10.5 from netkas.org. I'd use that, you simply download the "boot" file from his site and copy it to the root of your drive.
With PC EFI 10.5 I get "pci root uid not found", it doesn't seem cause any problems though. Others have reported the same experience on the 10.5 page at netkas.org. Any insight as to what is causing this error message and how to get rid of it?

For those having issues with CPU temps (scott_donald & dickoy), do you have Intel® C-STATE Tech enabled?

BIOS settings, this thread doesn't have them all in one place so here we go.

Main>Storage Configuration

Configure SATA as [AHCI]

Advanced>CPU Configuration *set everything here to Enabled, All or Auto except A20M*

Intel® HT Technology [Enabled]

Active Processor Cores [All]

A20M [Disabled]

Intel® C-STATE Tech [Enabled]

C State package limit [Auto]

Advanced>Onboard Devices Configuration

High Definition Audio [Enabled]

Front Panel Audio [HD Audio]

Power

Suspend Mode [Auto]

Repost Video on S3 Resume [Yes]

ACPI 2.0 Support [Enabled]

ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

Power>APM Configuration

Restore on AC Power Loss [Last State]

There are a few things from post #123 that aren't really explained that well, and i wanted to verify before i did anything else.

-He says to use bootpcefi10.3...i'm assuming rename it to just 'boot' then you have to do sudo -s rm /Volumes/Snow/boot, then put it in the 'Snow' root directory like it says to do in post #1? What will this help with by doing this, since everything seems to be fine right now without it?

Your assumptions are correct.

The boot loaders are always updated to add new functionality, it's a moving target. The two main ones are PC EFI from netkas.org and the Chameleon EFI project. The latest Chameleon RC4 answers your last question -- you can select which hard drive/partitions show on the boot screen. Read the documentation that is on their site and in the source distribution. It usually just involves copying the new boot file to the root of your drive. The first two boot stages, boot0 and boot1h, are usually interchangable between those two bootloaders but it doesn't hurt to do the dd and fdisk commands in the installation instructions.

-He says "Tweak smbios.plist for your CPU clock and UUID. The last 8 digits should be the MAC address of your ethernet card(ifconfig -a ether property)." I didn't do this, because i was doing it from windows and had no idea what my UUID was. If everything is running fine, should i do it? Where do i find my UUID?

There's a key in smbios.plist, I believe SMUUID. The value you put in is the same for everybody except for the last 12 digits -- those come from the MAC address on your ethernet card. Go to the Terminal app and type in ifconfig -a. In the information printed you'll see the "ether property", that's your MAC address. You can get the same info in Windows by doing and ipconfig /all at a cmd prompt...it's listed as the Physical Address.

Read DigitalDJ's post, it's stickied, for getting Snow Leopard to recognize your CPU, there's info there on editing smbios.plist for your CPU and bus speed. Nothing to change if your running an i7 920 like mine.

Is someone able to tell me how to edit my chameleon 2.0 RC3 boot list. It currently shows all my hard drives (even if they have no OS installed). I want to edit it so it only shows the two selections that it needs. It makes it much easier for my wife. Also should i upgrade to chameleon 2.0 RC4, since it's out? Does anyone have a .mpkg for it if i should?

Answered above.