HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

wziard

482 posts in this topic

Ok, i used your last posted DSDT and the system is still slow, the system hangs on "shutdown false" and "Waiting for DSMOS"

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot for the help !

Edit-

From the bootloader to the loginscreen, it takes about 30 seconds (With the SSD).

The drive is configured as IDE-Compatible, maybe the problem ? Because with IDE-Enhanced, i got the "Still waiting for root device"

Ok, i used your last posted DSDT and the system is still slow, the system hangs on "shutdown false" and "Waiting for DSMOS"

Any ideas ?

Thanks a lot for the help !

Edit-

From the bootloader to the loginscreen, it takes about 30 seconds (With the SSD).

The drive is configured as IDE-Compatible, maybe the problem ? Because with IDE-Enhanced, i got the "Still waiting for root device"

I had to configure as sata -enhanced for it to work

It's really weird, i still have the same problem... I don't know what happends.

Can you list the kext you are currently using and post your actual DSDT ?

I will give a try tonight

BTW: Merry Chrismast to everyone, and thank you again for your generous help :)

Anyone have any luck with getting this guide to work with P6TD-Deluxe ? I have got a 10.6.1 install booting past DSMOS but I have to use -v -x32 and even then I get a blank screen, suspecting video issues. I have ASUS Nvidia GTX260 PCIE. Any help would be appreciated.

Can anyone get 64bit working?

Anyone have any luck with getting this guide to work with P6TD-Deluxe ? I have got a 10.6.1 install booting past DSMOS but I have to use -v -x32 and even then I get a blank screen, suspecting video issues. I have ASUS Nvidia GTX260 PCIE. Any help would be appreciated.

Can anyone get 64bit working?

Try removing NVIDIA kext to a temporary folder,

mkdir /NVIDIA

mv /System/Library/Extension/NV* /NVIDIA

Reboot see if you get to your desktop, then add the string to your com.boot.apple.plist,

Replace originals drivers to the Extension folder and see if it helps.

It worked for me with my GTX 275 (EVGA, 896 MB)

Try removing NVIDIA kext to a temporary folder,

mkdir /NVIDIA

mv /System/Library/Extension/NV* /NVIDIA

Reboot see if you get to your desktop, then add the string to your com.boot.apple.plist,

Replace originals drivers to the Extension folder and see if it helps.

It worked for me with my GTX 275 (EVGA, 896 MB)

Thanks!

I have got my rig up and running (sorta). Here are my specs:

i7 920

ASUS P6TD-Deluxe (no this is not deluxe/v1/v2 this is D-Deluxe)

3x2GB OCZ 1600mhz Intel XMP

ASUS Nvidia GTX260 869mb

I got it running 64bit snow leopard 10.6 with the following kext: ad2000b, fakesmc, openhaltrestart and it seems to be running flawlessly, I haven't tested external spidf/dout, esata or audio but so far front panel audio, usb & both rear nics work. GTX260 works with dual monitors and both SATA drives working ok at I beleive full speed (not slow like it initially was).

I used dsdt from post #123 if I recall and that got me up and running, also used chameleon 2rc3 and also had to modify yukon driver as guide in #1 advises.

what doesn't work: Marvell 88se61xx PATA controller (which I wouldn't mind getting up and running) if anyone has any tips or ideas please let me know.

But other then that it seems the P6TD-Deluxe doesn't require much stuffing around and seems to work with pretty much vanilla install. I wonder if I should update to 10.6.2 and see if it runs any better.

Edit: I do have one issue however, whenever I copy from SATA2 to SATA1 it copies really fast however does not share the bandwidth with other processors, like i cant watch a music video even. Anyone have any ideas for that?

Thanks!

I have got my rig up and running (sorta). Here are my specs:

i7 920

ASUS P6TD-Deluxe (no this is not deluxe/v1/v2 this is D-Deluxe)

3x2GB OCZ 1600mhz Intel XMP

ASUS Nvidia GTX260 869mb

I got it running 64bit snow leopard 10.6 with the following kext: ad2000b, fakesmc, openhaltrestart and it seems to be running flawlessly, I haven't tested external spidf/dout, esata or audio but so far front panel audio, usb & both rear nics work. GTX260 works with dual monitors and both SATA drives working ok at I beleive full speed (not slow like it initially was).

I used dsdt from post #123 if I recall and that got me up and running, also used chameleon 2rc3 and also had to modify yukon driver as guide in #1 advises.

what doesn't work: Marvell 88se61xx PATA controller (which I wouldn't mind getting up and running) if anyone has any tips or ideas please let me know.

But other then that it seems the P6TD-Deluxe doesn't require much stuffing around and seems to work with pretty much vanilla install. I wonder if I should update to 10.6.2 and see if it runs any better.

Edit: I do have one issue however, whenever I copy from SATA2 to SATA1 it copies really fast however does not share the bandwidth with other processors, like i cant watch a music video even. Anyone have any ideas for that?

Great to see that it's working,

For the 10.6.2 update, just be sure to put SleepEnabler.kext (10.6.2 version) in your Extra folder. Otherwise, you will get a kernel panic. I have updated with the combo pack (10.6 to 10.6.2) and it went great. The only major difference is the kernel (Darwin 10.2).

I run it flawlessly in x86_64 mode and everything is working :yoji:

I just want to know, what is your boot time ? From the bootloader to the loginscreen ? My SSD takes about 30 seconds and i think that is pretty slow. I will maybe try the DSDT from the post #123.

Do you have the same issue ?

Great to see that it's working,

For the 10.6.2 update, just be sure to put SleepEnabler.kext (10.6.2 version) in your Extra folder. Otherwise, you will get a kernel panic. I have updated with the combo pack (10.6 to 10.6.2) and it went great. The only major difference is the kernel (Darwin 10.2).

I run it flawlessly in x86_64 mode and everything is working :(

I just want to know, what is your boot time ? From the bootloader to the loginscreen ? My SSD takes about 30 seconds and i think that is pretty slow. I will maybe try the DSDT from the post #123.

Do you have the same issue ?

Actually a few issues are surfacing now, not sure whether its because im running 10.6 with i7 and should be running 10.6.2 or whether I have bad ram, bad psu, bad gpu, or incompatible hardware/driver. I have gotten 3 kernel panics so far, also got a few intermittant reboots of a guest VM while running fusion 3.1 (that could be fusion though).

My boot up time seems alright, I would take a guess that its less then 30 seconds (7200rpm), I will time it for you if you like. I actually have a few issues, if anyone can lend a hand in sorting them out.

1. I am using the AD2006B kext supplied in post #123 and it seems to be fine however when running x86_64 it produces assertion errors on boot up. I think this might be causing the system to be unstable. (should I be using voodoohda?)

2. I cant use 'repair permissions' from the disk utility, it says no package found or something like that, I remember reading somewhere somebody saying they manually installed a BSD package or something which was part of the sno install?

3. If I try to do check for OS Software updates, software updater crashes and wants to send a error report to Apple, I suspect this might have something to do with the above.

4. Has anyone got cpu temps monitoring on their machines yet? I have tried the new fakesmc 2.5 plus istat but to no avail, I tried using tempmonitor and it seems to work but the values are +10 or so higher then they should be.

5. Should I make my own DSDT because this is a different board to the one in #123? and if so how do I include #123's fixes?

6. do I need to worry about info in smbios?

7. in my About this mac, it reports bus speed 533 mhz, but it should be running at 1600mhz I beleive, is this a issue

8. Also experienced a logout, dropped back to my logon screen, had to log back in and kill processes and start them again. (10.6.2 update says it might fix this).

BOOTHINK with Windows 7!!

- Anyone knows how to install and boot from boothink directly?? I have install boothink but I always get windows and boothink entries when win7 is loading. It seems impossible to get it boot directly to boothink and then windows.

Thanks for you help.

Hello,

I have v1 of the Asus P6T. I have followed the first posts steps (twice) and I get this kernel panic debug:

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(1.3)@(bla bla bla (let me know if this is important))

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.3.0)@...

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6)@...

I have the bios in AHCI, and I enabled AHCI 2.0 Support, but no luck. I also unplugged all my other drives and did -x -v with no luck. Any help is very much appreciated!

Hello,

I have v1 of the Asus P6T. I have followed the first posts steps (twice) and I get this kernel panic debug:

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(1.3)@(bla bla bla (let me know if this is important))

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.3.0)@...

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6)@...

I have the bios in AHCI, and I enabled AHCI 2.0 Support, but no luck. I also unplugged all my other drives and did -x -v with no luck. Any help is very much appreciated!

Maybe you have a wrong DSDT, try removing it and reboot.

I removed the dsdt.aml and it past the previous point.

My next problem was "Running fsck on the boot volume" then it would panic with no useful debugging info. I read in another thread here to boot with "-v -s -x32" then run fsck manually and that should fix the problem.

I did so and it froze after the firewire (NO waiting for root device, just frozen (keyboard wouldnt respond to num/caps lock). I tried just "-v -x32" and it got me to initializing the network adapters and giving me an address (I think), that took 1 minute, then froze like last time (NO waiting for root device).

I have the drive in AHCI and in SATA1 on the mobo (ASUS P6T V1). There is nothing else plugged in except my USB mouse and PS2 keyboard. Thanks!

My next problem was "Running fsck on the boot volume" then it would panic with no useful debugging info. I read in another thread here to boot with "-v -s -x32" then run fsck manually and that should fix the problem.

I did so and it froze after the firewire (NO waiting for root device, just frozen (keyboard wouldnt respond to num/caps lock). I tried just "-v -x32" and it got me to initializing the network adapters and giving me an address (I think), that took 1 minute, then froze like last time (NO waiting for root device).

I have the drive in AHCI and in SATA1 on the mobo (ASUS P6T V1). There is nothing else plugged in except my USB mouse and PS2 keyboard. Thanks!

Wich kext are you currently using ?

Try booting with "-v -x arch=i386" maybe.

If you're removing the DSDT you might want to try booting with HT disabled, 1 active CPU and A20 disabled in the bios.

If that fails try the DSDT from post #123 I know its for V2 of the board but it might still work for you.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I added -x and -arch=i386 and I got farther

DSMOS has arrived

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

[insert 5 minute pause here]

AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager::setPowerState(0xffffff8009129800, 2 -> 1) timed out after 100103 ms

[Hangs forever here, I just quit after 10 mintes]

I tried the file from post #123 but had the same problem. I also tried it without it, with HT disabled and -cpus=1 and had kernel panics as before.

I have the kexts from the first post loaded, nothing else. I followed those steps only. Any more ideas?

EDIT:I went back and used no - infront of cpus and arch... boy it's been a long time since I've done this! Still no luck!

Thanks for your suggestions.

I added -x and -arch=i386 and I got farther

DSMOS has arrived

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

[insert 5 minute pause here]

AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager::setPowerState(0xffffff8009129800, 2 -> 1) timed out after 100103 ms

[Hangs forever here, I just quit after 10 mintes]

I tried the file from post #123 but had the same problem. I also tried it without it, with HT disabled and -cpus=1 and had kernel panics as before.

I have the kexts from the first post loaded, nothing else. I followed those steps only. Any more ideas?

EDIT:I went back and used no - infront of cpus and arch... boy it's been a long time since I've done this! Still no luck!

You may have already tried this, but boot with 'arch=i386 -v -s' and perform fsck and mount your drive for write access and go to your extras/extensions folder and just rename some of the KEXT to something like 'kext.disabled' or w/e and see if that makes any difference? In particular try renaming the AHCI/BlockStorage injectors, IMO try disabling them all except fakesmc & openhaltrestart and see how far it gets you.

I tried your suggestion Roswell_r to no avail. I ended up renamed all to old*.kext except openhaltrestart and fakesmc and I didn't get to the AHCI errors, it just locked up after the firewire warning. I have attached a photo of the farthest I've gone using "-v -x"

I appreciate the help has provided. It seems like I'm doing something small wrong. I'm just not sure what it is. V1 & V2 should be very similar that these steps should work :rolleyes:

EDIT: I have macdrive installed, and when I start up in windows it says the disk may be corrupt. (I think because I've shut it down while booting? It didn't say that before until I shut it down while loading.) It does let me edit files with no problems though.

post-210669-1262111906_thumb.jpg

Update:

I booted with out the dsdt, HT disabled, 1 Active Core, AHCI with "cpus=1 -x32 -v -f"

Check the screenshot

The thing is.. when I press my power button it comes up and says something like "system sleep" and puts down my network adapters, setting the system to sleep. Is the GUI not coming up for some reason?? I typed some stuff before I pressed the power and i got the red LED flashing for 5-10 seconds or so, which indicates to me something is running that I cant see :s

post-210669-1262126921_thumb.jpg

I tried your suggestion Roswell_r to no avail. I ended up renamed all to old*.kext except openhaltrestart and fakesmc and I didn't get to the AHCI errors, it just locked up after the firewire warning. I have attached a photo of the farthest I've gone using "-v -x"

I appreciate the help has provided. It seems like I'm doing something small wrong. I'm just not sure what it is. V1 & V2 should be very similar that these steps should work :(

EDIT: I have macdrive installed, and when I start up in windows it says the disk may be corrupt. (I think because I've shut it down while booting? It didn't say that before until I shut it down while loading.) It does let me edit files with no problems though.

Remember I dont have the same board as you, but this looks exactly like my log when I boot up, and I have -v on all the time, just so I can see if something goes wrong. Except I never get a message from SMC saying waitForSevice timeouts. What version of fakesmc are you using? wouldn't hurt to use the latest fakesmc 2.5 and chameleon 2rc4.

Has anyone successfully gotten Snow Leopard & Windows 7 to dual boot using this mobo. I have no issue installing SL and getting it to work 100%, but i cannot figure out a way to make dual booting work. I either have to change modes from AHCI -> SATA or have to switch which port the SATA cable is plugged into to make the OS i want to use boot. I don't want to have to switch anything, i just simply want to be able to boot and choose which OS to boot into like normal. I am trying to do it using two separate WD Raptor 150GB HD's. It seems like it should be easy, but i haven't been able to get it. If anyone has this figured out i would really appreciate it!

merkaba,

An easy way is to hit F8 on startup to bring up the BIOS Boot Selector. Then just select the drive you want to boot from.

You should be able to dual boot from the Chameleon boot screen too, just select the OS you want to boot. With two separate drives there isn't anything extra you have to do. I don't understand what you mean when you say you have to change AHCI -> SATA. Just use AHCI for both OS'es.