HOW-TO GUIDE: Snow Leopard Retail 10.6 on Asus P6T Deluxe V2

wziard

482 posts in this topic

Hey iFabio,

This is the thread for the P6T Deluxe V2, just to be clear. You probably already know this.

Your answer to Sk3letal's question is rather vague. Are you saying that the dsdt.aml from this thread works on your v1 board? If not, please clarify by pointing out where the information that can help him is located....or post your own information in the appropriate area, thanks.

Hey iFabio,

This is the thread for the P6T Deluxe V2, just to be clear. You probably already know this.

Your answer to Sk3letal's question is rather vague. Are you saying that the dsdt.aml from this thread works on your v1 board? If not, please clarify by pointing out where the information that can help him is located....or post your own information in the appropriate area, thanks.

Hi

Sk3letal can use this info because works.

Yes the two DSDT table are exactly the same.

Fabio

weird i added the new FakeSMC 2.5.... rebuilt permissions then rebooted...

i think but never timed it but boot times seem slower now and the first time i shut the computer down it didnt turn off the power but shut osx down... re tested that a few times now and seems fine...

anyone feel the boot is slower???

I'm not quite sure what driver you're referring to, but a few weeks ago, I had a GTX 260 and it ran fine using netkas PC EFI Graphics Enabler.

I just did a fresh install on another drive. It worked fine with 10.6.1. I did a benchmark using geekbench and I get consistent scores between 13300-13400. I tested my sound if it works after sleep and it works. I backed it all up on another partition using super duper. I then upgraded to 10.6.2, upgrade went fine, installed all required 10.6.2 kexts (new NullCPU and new SleepEnabler). Now I did another benchmark using geekbench and it's now consistent between 12700-12800 and now my sound doesn't work after sleep, it only works if I unplug the speakers and plug it back in. These are exactly the same issues I encountered with my original install.

I did this exercise just to verify the issues. Has anybody got the same issues? One thing that annoys me is the sound not working after sleep on 10.6.2 (it does work again if I unplug and plug it back in)

Hi guys

thanks for the guide...

Got 10.6 booting at the end...

but as far as I understand, no chance to get my ATI HD3850 to work nor my Creative XFi...

I guess I will stick to Leopard and wait for devs to sort out things hopefully like I've seen great improvement in support of these two devices in Linux kernel 2.6.31

Keep up !! all the best !!

If that can help, I have been using Leopard and/or Snow virtualised and a SATA USB HDdrive to follow up guide.

I'm not quite sure what driver you're referring to, but a few weeks ago, I had a GTX 260 and it ran fine using netkas PC EFI Graphics Enabler.

I just did a fresh install on another drive. It worked fine with 10.6.1. I did a benchmark using geekbench and I get consistent scores between 13300-13400. I tested my sound if it works after sleep and it works. I backed it all up on another partition using super duper. I then upgraded to 10.6.2, upgrade went fine, installed all required 10.6.2 kexts (new NullCPU and new SleepEnabler). Now I did another benchmark using geekbench and it's now consistent between 12700-12800 and now my sound doesn't work after sleep, it only works if I unplug the speakers and plug it back in. These are exactly the same issues I encountered with my original install.

I did this exercise just to verify the issues. Has anybody got the same issues? One thing that annoys me is the sound not working after sleep on 10.6.2 (it does work again if I unplug and plug it back in)

By the way, I formatted the 10.6.2 and restored my saved 10.6.1 installation and everything worked great again, my sound comes back up after sleep and my benchmark scores are again where they should be ;)

hi all, been following a lot of threads to make a hackintosh and Im beginning to think that this thread is having the least amount of issues with this set up, am I correct?

I am no geek so I want to make it as idiot proof as possible and base my hardware buying on that

I want to get a radeon 5850 or 5870 as they are cheaper/faster/cooler

has anyone had success with them or should I stick with nvidia 285/295 for example?

Also the deluxe board is very expensive, do others work with no issues?

I am willing to pay more if I will reduce my headaches later.

thanks in advance

hi all, been following a lot of threads to make a hackintosh and Im beginning to think that this thread is having the least amount of issues with this set up, am I correct?

I am no geek so I want to make it as idiot proof as possible and base my hardware buying on that

I want to get a radeon 5850 or 5870 as they are cheaper/faster/cooler

has anyone had success with them or should I stick with nvidia 285/295 for example?

Also the deluxe board is very expensive, do others work with no issues?

I am willing to pay more if I will reduce my headaches later.

thanks in advance

yes from what i have read i would go this board or the gigabyte ud5 board...

yes from what i have read i would go this board or the gigabyte ud5 board...

p55 board is for the i7 860 chipset isnt it? I wanted to go that way originally as it is cheaper/faster/more efficient but read the pci buses go to 8x in SLI mode and not future compatible with i9.

also read in other forums about trouble getn everything working?

Hi Spiteful,

I have the same mother board, 12 gb ram ddr3, evga 9800 gtx 512ram card. I'm getting the same power down message after booting from my usb drive. have you heard of anyone who knows the solution to this install? Any help would be great.

AB

Alright, First off here are my specs:

ASUS P6T (not deluxe)

12gb DDR3 1600

1.5tb sata

Nvidia GTX 285

******EDIT********

ALL BETTER NOW :rolleyes:

I am able to install 10.5.8 just fine. Now I want to move over to SL and I have yet to get the install to boot once. I have tried at least 20 installs with 20 different guides including this one. I followed the steps EXACTLY as they are listed to no avail. I am losing my mind trying to get this to boot.

The install goes flawless, when i go to boot after the chamelon screen I am greeted almost instantly by a big hault graphic telling me to power down.

I try again with -v to see whats going on and I notice there is a loading error on all the kexts from extra pretty much and a bad magic number malformed etc. and it gets stuck at serialatapi reconfiguration error.

If anyone has got this to boot on my mobo and could offer some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I will try again now to get the exact errors to list here.

Hi Dgobe, goodmorning!

I solved my KPs when removing the nullcpu and using stock appleintelpowermanagement.

I simply had to manually delete Snow's caches before rebooting. Kext utility was updating caches in /extra folder, but something in Snow's boot cache folders was giving conflicts...anyway, now works great.

I'm also using iFabio's DSDT with pstates with only 4 kexts: fakeSMC, ad2000b, Openhaltrestart and lspcidrv.

Everything works, also sleep...and audio after waking up is functional !

Thanks 4 your help, have a nice day!

Hi Dgobe, goodmorning!

I solved my KPs when removing the nullcpu and using stock appleintelpowermanagement.

I simply had to manually delete Snow's caches before rebooting. Kext utility was updating caches in /extra folder, but something in Snow's boot cache folders was giving conflicts...anyway, now works great.

I'm also using iFabio's DSDT with pstates with only 4 kexts: fakeSMC, ad2000b, Openhaltrestart and lspcidrv.

Everything works, also sleep...and audio after waking up is functional !

Thanks 4 your help, have a nice day!

whats is different on that dsdt???

Hey St3p,

So I flashed to the newest BIOS 0704 and everything works fine. The only change I've made to my system is that I have my Mac hard drive in an external USB enclosure. I used to have it hooked up to the internal SATA but for reasons I won't go into, it's not in there anymore. I noticed that Shutdown and Restart now work properly after a Sleep/Wake cycle, it used to hang with a black screen and fans running. I don't know if this is due to the drive being connected via USB or something in the new BIOS. If anyone using SATA would like to test and post their results that would be great.

I also tried iFabio's DSDT and, for me, it breaks sound. AD2000b.kext doesn't load at startup or if I try to manually load it. This is interesting because the HDEF device in both of our DSDT's are identical, they're just located in different parts of the file. Other than that I see he's updated more device names, which you stated above, and a few other tweaks. I already had the p-states working.

0704 should be safe if anyone wants to try and let us know what you experience...

Hey St3p,

So I flashed to the newest BIOS 0704 and everything works fine. The only change I've made to my system is that I have my Mac hard drive in an external USB enclosure. I used to have it hooked up to the internal SATA but for reasons I won't go into, it's not in there anymore. I noticed that Shutdown and Restart now work properly after a Sleep/Wake cycle, it used to hang with a black screen and fans running. I don't know if this is due to the drive being connected via USB or something in the new BIOS. If anyone using SATA would like to test and post their results that would be great.

I also tried iFabio's DSDT and, for me, it breaks sound. AD2000b.kext doesn't load at startup or if I try to manually load it. This is interesting because the HDEF device in both of our DSDT's are identical, they're just located in different parts of the file. Other than that I see he's updated more device names, which you stated above, and a few other tweaks. I already had the p-states working.

0704 should be safe if anyone wants to try and let us know what you experience...

Hi dgobe! It's very very very strange what's happening to your audio! I say this 'cause I'm using that dsdt with the AD2000b.kext found in your package: I use back panel's out and front panel's in with no problem. Concerning the shutdown-restart after sleep, I must say I always had this poblem, same behavior, machine is down but fans are spinning. After trying several kexts combinations I got it working by keeping the Openhaltrestart.kext and deleting the sleepenabler.kext

In few words, now I'm using only this 3 kexts: FakeSMC, AD2000b, Openhaltrestart. Also plug off power before restarting from that strange computer's "zombie-state".

Try also deleting all Snow Leopard chaches manually as I did, 'cause when working in /extra, kextutility seems to repair permissions and rebuilding cache inside /extra, but leaving untouched your Snow real cache.

Maybe Chamaleon tries to load it from /extra, I don't know for shure, but as I told you, I've had a sort of "cache conflict", solved by deleting EVERY cache by hand, both in /extra and in /Snow/System/Caches/subfolders. This conflict didn't let me use stock powermanagement, gave me kps and various instabilities.

I'm also using Chamaleon 2 RC3 and PC-Efi 10.5 on a 10.6.2 upgraded system. I always get around 200 pts on Xbench.

Now I've 2 Snow setups: one is on my main internal SATA HDD, the other is on an external USB as your, and I use it only in case to bring up my computer to life and reinstall Snow on my internal HDD using your method. Anyway I'll try in the weekend if the usb one has problems rebooting and shutting down after sleep...maybe sleep 'could kill usb??!! Dunno, will try!

Hi dgobe! It's very very very strange what's happening to your audio! I say this 'cause I'm using that dsdt with the AD2000b.kext found in your package: I use back panel's out and front panel's in with no problem. Concerning the shutdown-restart after sleep, I must say I always had this poblem, same behavior, machine is down but fans are spinning. After trying several kexts combinations I got it working by keeping the Openhaltrestart.kext and deleting the sleepenabler.kext

In few words, now I'm using only this 3 kexts: FakeSMC, AD2000b, Openhaltrestart. Also plug off power before restarting from that strange computer's "zombie-state".

Try also deleting all Snow Leopard chaches manually as I did, 'cause when working in /extra, kextutility seems to repair permissions and rebuilding cache inside /extra, but leaving untouched your Snow real cache.

Maybe Chamaleon tries to load it from /extra, I don't know for shure, but as I told you, I've had a sort of "cache conflict", solved by deleting EVERY cache by hand, both in /extra and in /Snow/System/Caches/subfolders. This conflict didn't let me use stock powermanagement, gave me kps and various instabilities.

I'm also using Chamaleon 2 RC3 and PC-Efi 10.5 on a 10.6.2 upgraded system. I always get around 200 pts on Xbench.

Now I've 2 Snow setups: one is on my main internal SATA HDD, the other is on an external USB as your, and I use it only in case to bring up my computer to life and reinstall Snow on my internal HDD using your method. Anyway I'll try in the weekend if the usb one has problems rebooting and shutting down after sleep...maybe sleep 'could kill usb??!! Dunno, will try!

Just curious, have you try VoodooHDA? Please give it a try.

VoodooHDA works fine, AD2000b was only broken with a particular DSDT as I mentioned. AD2000B shows the jacks and information in System Profiler because it adds the proper information so the stock AppleHDA will pick up the onboard sound chip, making it more like a "real Mac". Maybe(maybe not?) this will make it more compatible in the future or be less likely to have audio breakage after an update. I like to use whatever option runs the most stock code for this reason.

VoodooHDA works fine, AD2000b was only broken with a particular DSDT as I mentioned. AD2000B shows the jacks and information in System Profiler because it adds the proper information so the stock AppleHDA will pick up the onboard sound chip, making it more like a "real Mac". Maybe(maybe not?) this will make it more compatible in the future or be less likely to have audio breakage after an update. I like to use whatever option runs the most stock code for this reason.

Sorry, I read your post from the beginning and now understand your sound problem. BTW, I have the same problem too. I had 2000 installed previously and running fine. I just bought a new HDD and did a re-installed of Win 7 and SL, now I can`t get the AD2000B to work, so using Voodoohda for now, only sound output works and get a small popping sound when shutting down/restart.

Will be great if someone can help us? I try to follow some links but don`t really understand the procedure thou!! Wonder how i manage to do the first time?

Hi Dgobe,

First I would like to thank you and wziard for this Guide. Second I found a new AD2000b.kext and DSDT HDAEnabler ( Thanks the KiNG ) in the projectosx forum. Link=> http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...c=465&st=20

Hope It can help.

PiSToL