Booting Snow Leopard Retail in 3 easy steps!

kdetech

113 posts in this topic

Thank you for taking the time to prepare these instructions.

Unfortunately, it seems that I am unable to complete the boot process using a copy of the Boot-132 ISO,

on a Compaq Presario CQ60-111EM laptop, after replacing the initrd.img file with the from the one from this thread.

I am using a retail copy of the Mac OS X 10.6 DVD.

Sadly, I don't have a copy of Mac OS X 10.5 or earlier, so I cannot attempt other installation/boot methods.

Output from Darwin bootloader and initial mach_kernel bootstrap attempt:

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132_dfe_r146_Chameleon_pre
955MB memory
VESA v3.0 63MB (Intel�Cantiga Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS)

Loading Darwin/x86
Loading kernel mach_kernel
Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 422f700.
_

No further activity occurs at this point, and the system becomes unresponsive to keyboard input.

Hardware configuration:

Output of lspci on Fedora 11:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 03)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

Output of cat /proc/cpuinfo on Fedora 11:

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 15
model name	: Genuine Intel� CPU             575  @ 2.00GHz
stepping	: 13
cpu MHz		: 2000.004
cache size	: 1024 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 10
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi 
mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc up arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor 
ds_cpl tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm
bogomips	: 3989.94
clflush size	: 64
power management:

If additional configuration information is required, feel free to ask.

Did you come round to fixing this yet. Does anyone know what needs to be done in order to progress beyond this point? SL retail not booting beyond this point :-(

Did you come round to fixing this yet. Does anyone know what needs to be done in order to progress beyond this point? SL retail not booting beyond this point :-(

Unfortunately, I haven't made any headway on this. I posted a similar question in another thread, and the consensus in the reply I got was that Snow Leopard bootloader CDs still aren't ready/usable yet. I think I'll wait a few weeks before I try it again.

955MB memory

Loading Darwin/x86

i got that aswell thats where it stopped no activity from the DVD

955MB memory

Loading Darwin/x86

i got that aswell thats where it stopped no activity from the DVD

I'm getting the same as well...

same here, the boot disk is working and i am getting into the chameleon screen but after changing the boot disk with the retail disk i have no chance to boot from it!

How knows how to boot the retail after changing the disks?

thanks a lot

cheers

relaxer

Anybody getting the error when following SuperHai's method running hdiutil: "_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host." This happens if I'm attaching, detaching or resizing. Can't build ISO because it hangs forever.

Googled for a fix. Didn't find any. Any help would be great!

Thanks.

Found the fix for GetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35 at http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,83.0.html

The NetworkInterfaces.plist file is generated when your system recognizes your networking devices. If your networking devices are not recognized, you may not have a NetworkInterfaces.plist generated.

Maybe a dumb question, will it work out "of the box" if i go and buy the a real copy of SnowLeo ?

Will it install on this setup (i have modded my bios to osx)

Asus P5Q-Pro

quadcore

Geforce GTX260

?

Word is the retail SL and 10a432 GM are the same. If so it would be a waste of money at this point. perhaps someone else knows for sure.

Maybe a dumb question, will it work out "of the box" if i go and buy the a real copy of SnowLeo ?

Will it install on this setup (i have modded my bios to osx)

Asus P5Q-Pro

quadcore

Geforce GTX260

?

bruceleeglad,

are you using Juzzi's patched ROM for your ASUS P5Q-Pro? you'll need gfx strings for your graphics card, and probably the recompiled voodoohda.kext for SL for sound.

"gfx strings how to by aqua-mac" search for it on google.

if so, i'm pretty sure it'll work -- i've got an ASUS P5Q, and it works. besides, SL is only $30 bucks, so go grab it.

:unsure:

Word is the retail SL and 10a432 GM are the same. If so it would be a waste of money at this point. perhaps someone else knows for sure.

Yes the Retail disk you get is build 10A432 - the GM which has been available for weeks!

flash

I'm going to take a guess:

From what I read, Apple is no longer creating "default graphics" driver support in Snow Leopard. That is the ugly, stretched out display you get until you fix the graphics drivers. So.... if a system does not have perfect graphic support, it will NOT boot. Because of this, we are all out of luck. The boot-132 disk will not make the The Snow-Leopard Retail installer disk boot, and your new system will not boot without supported graphics.

That is why you have to install Snow onto a separate hard drive, and patch the graphics (while your computer is booted from another disk). That seems to be the only way to install Snow, for the time being.

Just my guess. Could be wrong thinking. I also could be wrong thinking that Apple is doing this in spite, to make it more difficult to install their operating system on a generic PC.

Pardon my pessimism, but it can't be this easy!

Going to try to install on EEE PC 1000he from an 8Gb SD Card, the reader is recognized as a USB device (thankfully).

Edit: It wasn't this easy, but I'm assuming once I put together my own Boot-132 disk, it should work flawlessly.

i have yet to see anyone successfully work this out. everyone is getting the same problem i am. stops at Loading HFS+ file.....................................................

you are using a bad boot file.

Here is a guide on how to make one unfortunately it has two issues

-can't boot a physical dvd from chameleon screen

-not sure if it reads plist commands

good luck

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182227

I'm going to take a guess:

From what I read, Apple is no longer creating "default graphics" driver support in Snow Leopard. That is the ugly, stretched out display you get until you fix the graphics drivers. So.... if a system does not have perfect graphic support, it will NOT boot. Because of this, we are all out of luck. The boot-132 disk will not make the The Snow-Leopard Retail installer disk boot, and your new system will not boot without supported graphics.

That is why you have to install Snow onto a separate hard drive, and patch the graphics (while your computer is booted from another disk). That seems to be the only way to install Snow, for the time being.

Just my guess. Could be wrong thinking. I also could be wrong thinking that Apple is doing this in spite, to make it more difficult to install their operating system on a generic PC.

So based on this, since I DO have a perfect DSDT.aml file which handles my graphics, if I add that to this bootcd, it should work, right?

Could having snow leo upgrade and full version make a world of difference when using boot 132. i ask because according to apple tiger users have to buy the boxed set and do a clean install where as leopard users can just upgrade? I am trying to download the boxed set now to see if that plays a part.

Also has anyone tried on a p45 mb i read that p45 board are good for snow leopard? Could you post you success or fail?

This is misleading. There is no upgrade versus full version, they are ALL a full installation disk of 10A432. Whether its in the box set, listed as an upgrade to either Tiger or Leopard users, its the same disk.

Can somebody by any chance create a boot cd made with chameleon v2 and all the necessary patches? seems like our best shot, i am on a dell 6400 and cant get past the HFS+ loading segment with my retail cd (its funny how when you go out of your way to not steel snow leopard or indeed leopard for that matter, you end up in serious difficulties, aint it?) please tell me if anyone got this working i could really use the help!

i have yet to see anyone successfully work this out. everyone is getting the same problem i am. stops at Loading HFS+ file.....................................................

Not quite true. I get to the next screen where it shows my chip set info. I then can remove the cd and put in the Snow Leopard. It reads it for a few seconds then stops & nothing happens until I reboot Same thing happens after the reboot. So I agree you may have a bad file or something went wrong when you burned the file etc. In any case it still doesn't boot for me.

well im having the same problem and my DVD is retail, as in i bought it from the apple store! so maybe its something to do with the boot file?

EDIT: ah thats what you ment! well if you take chameleon and navigate it with a certain boot flag it brings up the disk, ill look for the flag now

When i attempt to install snow leopard in 10.5.8 itself, it has to reboot during installation, then i insert my boot cd and it boots into leopard 10.5.8 but the snow leopard installation doesn't continue..

Any ideas?

in case you used some other burning app to burn the SL install DVD, try to use Disk Utility, I had same problem when I burned with Toast...

Having replaced the boot file in my ISO with the PC-EFI v10.2 one from here, it seems that my laptop now perpetually reboots after ISOLinux loads the initrd.img file, when attempting to boot from the resulting DVD+RW. Any suggestions for a replacement, or should I wait a little longer for someone to deliver something?

Update 1:

After extracting the contents of a Chameleon-2.0-RC2-r640-bin.tar.gz tarball, and replacing the boot* files in the root of my ISO with the entire contents of the i386 directory from it, before re-burning the DVD, it appears that I can now boot into Chameleon. Sadly, I also experience graphical corruption, and it seems that I cannot actually switch discs or boot from any volume.