I'm having a devil of a time

2 posts in this topic

I constantly get this error

dypqmu.jpg

Regardless if I install Mac OSX first or Windows 7 first. They're both on the same drive, separated by a partition.

I've followed the steps to make the Windows 7 partition active, but I still get that same error and then I'm unable to boot in to Mac OSX. I'm brought to that grey, restart screen. I've booted into the Windows 7 disc and tried repairing it, but it doesn't help at all.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I'd be so grateful to get this resolved. Thanks!!

You need to post more details. What procedures have you followed when installing? In my experience, Windows is very fussy about its boot partition, and it will fail to boot, with a message similar to the one you've shown, when you make partition changes after installing it. Such changes could include resizing the partition, moving the partition, changing the partition type code, etc. You might also see this if you convert from MBR to GPT (or even GPT with a hybrid MBR) after installing Windows.

Generally speaking, the procedure I recommend when installing Windows and almost anything else is:

1. Partition the disk the way you intend it to be set up in the end. I'd stick with simple MBR if possible, or if you must use GPT, set up the hybrid MBR configuration from the start.
  2. Install your non-Windows OS(es).
  3. Back up your boot loader, including the first 440 bytes of the MBR. (This is the first-stage boot loader.) Alternatively, be prepared to re-install your boot loader.
  4. Install Windows. The system will now boot Windows but nothing else.
  5. Restore your boot loader, and if necessary add a Windows option to it. The system should now multi-boot correctly.