Snow Leopard on Nforce 700 Series (780i)

22 posts in this topic

I noticed there is no thread for getting Snow Leopard up and running on a:

Nvidia Nforce 780i Motherboard

or Any Nforce 700 Series Motherboards

My System Specs in signature:

I would like to get Snow Leopard FULLY functional including wireless and 64bit mode

If you can provide any help for any Nforce Motherboards please do so!!!

We need drivers/Kexts/Kernels help if you can!! 64bit preferred!

Thanks in advance :D

UPDATE:(9/7/09)

I also found these other threads that might be of help

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184224

This link has some needed Kexts and drivers!!

Edited by LIVEANDLETDIE

I've been trying to boot with Snow Leopard for about three days now.

Firstly I discovered it is vital that you update toe PC EFI10v1 or v2, both seemed to work, but without them you'll run into an immediate KP.

Secondly it seems that the old AppleNForceATA.kext does not work. I end up stalled for over 30 minutes in the boot sequence with: 'AppleNForceATA: Found 0 units'.

If anyone has any updates, suggestions, comments, I would love to read them. :P

Cheers!

[EDIT] I should add I'm running 10.5.8 on an eVGA 780i board. ;)

I've just finished to install SL on my 790i MB and everything is working fine with vanilla kernel :D:D I'm still waiting for someone to recompile AppleNForceATA, so at the moment you have to boot with -x32. It's crucial as already Doraemon pointed out that you update to PCEFIv10.1 or 10.2, Chameleon doesn't work. The kekts needed are just fakesmc, openhaltrestart, nforcelan, nullcpupowermanagement, platformuuid and applenforceata. I've also created a modded dsdt with cmos fix by stellarola but I don't think it's really necessary. Now I just have to install voodoohda.

Does Snow Leopard have native support for these boards now, or do you still have to run a non-vanilla kernel?

You could always use a vanilla kernel with these boards. (I'm using the 10.5.8 kernel as I type this.) You simply boot with "cpus=1" and it works. Note that this requires the AppleNForceATA.kext of course.

I've just finished to install SL on my 790i MB and everything is working fine with vanilla kernel :(:D I'm still waiting for someone to recompile AppleNForceATA, so at the moment you have to boot with -x32. It's crucial as already Doraemon pointed out that you update to PCEFIv10.1 or 10.2, Chameleon doesn't work. The kekts needed are just fakesmc, openhaltrestart, nforcelan, nullcpupowermanagement, platformuuid and applenforceata. I've also created a modded dsdt with cmos fix by stellarola but I don't think it's really necessary. Now I just have to install voodoohda.

Great! I'm going to try this now. Wish me luck. :glare:

Hey guys,

New to the scene. I just finished doing a vanilla install of SL to my eVga 680i and I am happy to report everything but by SATA DVD drive works. Onboard LAN, my old sound blaster Audigy 2zs, Nvidia 8800gts 320mb, are all working. A quick rundown of how i did it.

I booted into my IPC distribution, mounted the SL image, installed it to a separate partition. Then I installed chameleon 2 rc1, and upgraded it to PC EFI 10.2. I added my kext's, booted with -f -x32 flags and it ran. Installed the Kext's like the gentleman above did, and a few particular to my video card and I am a happy camper... I am guessing the next AppleNforceATA kext that comes out should solve the DVD drive issue. I'll keep you posted if I make any more progress. Good luck to all!

Adam

I've just finished to install SL on my 790i MB and everything is working fine with vanilla kernel :D:guitar: I'm still waiting for someone to recompile AppleNForceATA, so at the moment you have to boot with -x32. It's crucial as already Doraemon pointed out that you update to PCEFIv10.1 or 10.2, Chameleon doesn't work. The kekts needed are just fakesmc, openhaltrestart, nforcelan, nullcpupowermanagement, platformuuid and applenforceata. I've also created a modded dsdt with cmos fix by stellarola but I don't think it's really necessary. Now I just have to install voodoohda.

Where you get the needed Kexts? a link would be helpful

Where you get the needed Kexts? a link would be helpful

See my new Installing Snow Leopard (10.6) on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel Core2 Duo or Quad CPU MOBO, Successful installation of 10.6 using USB flash drive installer topic...... :)

• 5 weeks later...

I noticed there is no thread for getting Snow Leopard up and running on a:

Nvidia Nforce 780i Motherboard

or Any Nforce 700 Series Motherboards

My System Specs in signature:

I would like to get Snow Leopard FULLY functional including wireless and 64bit mode

If you can provide any help for any Nforce Motherboards please do so!!!

We need drivers/Kexts/Kernels help if you can!! 64bit preferred!

Thanks in advance :D

UPDATE:(9/7/09)

I also found these other threads that might be of help

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184224

This link has some needed Kexts and drivers!!

Did you ever get it all working? Was that tutorial you link to of any help?

I have it installed, I just tried getting my GPU to be properly recognized, and now it's screwed up and I have yet to try again because of college and whatnot. My old nForceATA.kext works, I also got my Ethernet working with the same kexts :P [i think, meh, I had networking]. Then just a plethora of KP's. Well, I'm moving a LOT of things around on my HDD because of Win7 showing up on my colleges MSDN partnership site [no more RC :)]. We'll see what happens :D

I have it installed, I just tried getting my GPU to be properly recognized, and now it's screwed up and I have yet to try again because of college and whatnot. My old nForceATA.kext works, I also got my Ethernet working with the same kexts :) [i think, meh, I had networking]. Then just a plethora of KP's. Well, I'm moving a LOT of things around on my HDD because of Win7 showing up on my colleges MSDN partnership site [no more RC :( ]. We'll see what happens :)

OK. Sounds like we have similar setups. Mine is:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Kentsfield) 2.40GHz Socket 775

XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLI

8 GB (800MHz Dual DDR2 RAM)

nVIDIA 8800 GT

I'm juggling college and work as well and don't have a lot of time to invest for testing unfortunately, so I'm looking around for a method that appears to consistently work for several people before I decide to take the plunge myself. I can't really afford to be without a computer should anything go awry.

nVIDIA 8800 GT

I'm juggling college and work as well and don't have a lot of time to invest for testing unfortunately, so I'm looking around for a method that appears to consistently work for several people before I decide to take the plunge myself. I can't really afford to be without a computer should anything go awry.

See my topic...... :rolleyes:

nVIDIA 8800 GT

Quite similar indeed;

EVGA nForce 780i 3-Way SLI

6GB (800MHz Dual DDR2 RAM)

nVidia 9800GX2 SSC

I've got several OS's going on my machine, I'd just like to have the latest/greatest thing to come from Apple...and working.

See my topic...... :)

Looks like a great read for me, I'll check it out and see what I can do with my troublesome SnoKitty :3