Should I keep my hackintosh or sell it? OSX 10.6?

Wman

10 posts in this topic

So I built a hackintosh setup around half ayear ago, but I am thinking of selling it now, depending on how easily I can get snow leo installed.

This is my setup:

Ga-EP35-DS3l

1000GB SATA drive

4GB DDR2

2.40GHZ Q6600 quad core G0

Nvidea Geforce 8600GT 256mb

I was thinking of selling it because I recently bought a new macbook pro and I don't really need both. But I will be buying a copy of SNow Leopard pretty soon, for my mbp, so, if it is easily installed on my hackintosh, I wiill keep it. What do you guys think?

So I built a hackintosh setup around half ayear ago, but I am thinking of selling it now, depending on how easily I can get snow leo installed.

This is my setup:

Ga-EP35-DS3l

1000GB SATA drive

4GB DDR2

I was thinking of selling it because I recently bought a new macbook pro and I don't really need both. But I will be buying a copy of SNow Leopard pretty soon, for my mbp, so, if it is easily installed on my hackintosh, I wiill keep it. What do you guys think?

You'll be able to install SL just fine with a bit of either effort or waiting for the easy packaged installation guides to emerge, but if you're thinking of selling, sell it now to get better resale value. You can always build a new system if you want it, but if you want to sell your current one in another year, it'll be worth much less.

So how much do you think a system like this is worth, especially considering that it's in a 300$ lian li case.

Case only matters is someone is willing to spend the extra for it parts you have:

Ga-EP35-DS3l $ 60

1000GB SATA drive $ 60

4GB DDR2 $ 60

2.40GHZ Q6600 quad core G0 $150

Nvidea Geforce 8600GT 256mb $ 50

So $380 plus whatever someone is willing to pay for the case/power supply added on only an estimate on my part I think I have been realistic though so take it for what its worth..

Wow. Prices have really dropped for these parts since I built it a few months ago. I payed around $900 Canadian, with a lot of haggling and searching, so I won't sell it unless I can get around $900-1000+

Whatever.

Wow. Prices have really dropped for these parts since I built it a few months ago. I payed around $900 Canadian, with a lot of haggling and searching, so I won't sell it unless I can get around $900-1000+

Whatever.

Good luck with that, I see 1tb drives on sale these days for under $80 new on Red Flag Deals the used Q6600s go for at the most the $150 I mentioned this low VID chips the EP35-DS3R I bought used/refurbished for my spare machine cost me $45 so I was being generous there so yeah parts drop like stones all the time oh and the 4gb of ram I put it in was like $50 new on sale still going for that on NCIX.com right now so I was high there as well I have seen used 8800GT's going for $80-100 and I would be amazed if you got that $300 back out of the case I got a Cooler Master Stacker same price range for $25 on Ebay... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that is the way it is for used parts.

This is my setup:

Ga-EP35-DS3l

1000GB SATA drive

4GB DDR2

If you really don't need it, sell it. Out of question. Otherwise, keep it. IMHO, the Snow Leopard installation on your machine would be quite easy.

You cant expect to get as much money as you spent. Thats just plain stupid. Usually, after 3 months of using the computer parts, the price drops by half.

Find a college student with extra cash from mommy and daddy. That's what I did, 24 months after I built the machine. Got every red cent out that I put into it. Then again, I had built a custom Shuttle - with all the bells and whistles.

Seriously, college students who spend someone else's money aren't going to haggle you as much as someone who actually worked for their own money. Who knows, you might get lucky.

Good luck!

Ga-EP35-DS3l

1000GB SATA drive

4GB DDR2

I built my rig a more than a year ago:

Gigabyte Ep35-DS3L

250GB SATA

3 GB DDR2

1.86 e2180

Nvidia 8800 GS 386mb

Antec 300

I've since put in a bigger HD but that base system cost me just above $400 usd NEW a year ago...