EFI strings and DSDT

altares

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm having difficulties to understand the devices definition in MAC OSX.

From what I read:

The DSDT is some tables normally inside the bios, but we emulate it externally at the moment of the boot. So that the devices are set (And OSX can see them, and activate the drivers). But real MACs don't have one (Bios), do they?

The EFI-Strings seem to me to do the same thing. :D

Maybe I got it all wrong, and if we do a DSDT emulation we don't have to set the EFI-Strings anymore.

Please can you explain?

:)

Hi all,

I'm having difficulties to understand the devices definition in MAC OSX.

From what I read:

The DSDT is some tables normally inside the bios, but we emulate it externally at the moment of the boot. So that the devices are set (And OSX can see them, and activate the drivers). But real MACs don't have one (Bios), do they?

The EFI-Strings seem to me to do the same thing. :D

Maybe I got it all wrong, and if we do a DSDT emulation we don't have to set the EFI-Strings anymore.

Please can you explain?

:)

I used DSDT.aml but does not have any gfx patch in it. So i use EFI string for that purpose.

I guess it depend on what you patched, if you already added gfx card in your DSDT, there's no reason to use EFI string for that gfx.

There's lots of things that DSDT can do but EFI String can't, like HPET, RTC, Aliases and other stuff.

I would say it boil down to personal preferences and where to apply your patch and take advantage of both solutions.

Hope that answer some of your questions.

Tommy

When I added my graphics card in the DSDT it didnt register in the system, so I still had to use an EFI-String

Same to me !!

DSDT jnection didnt work with my Nvidia 9600GT (10.5 + 10.6).

EFISTRING works. Sure i made DSDT NV part with same key entries ;)

But it doenst matter which way you go, since one wy worls (DSDT or EFIstring).

And only a very few users want to reflash their bios with an modded dsdt , wich would be an difference in the handling (more kompatible with OSX86 distro + real OS X dvds).