[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

hi

sound is working

it may not have installed correctly because either legacyHDA or legacyHDA_888 in E/E works ! i checked both (and repaired permission in between)

dashboard: looks good, weather is sometimes a tad slow to load (updating), sometimes a few seconds, sometimes i need to exit and reenter dashboard, but no display bug just as you say surely some connection delay. that's fine

sleep: won't work

i saw there is an updated sleepenabler version for 10.6.2 , i ll try to put it in E/E and see..

in E/E i got fakesmc and legacyHDA (i know i'm trying to put sleepenabler in to see)

beware sleepenabler may cause KP but best of luck.

and if any updates arise sleep enabler will most likely cause a KP meaning you need tto uninstall it and then perform updates.

Download Geekbench and run it 32 bit test is free but 64 bit will be more accurate. post results, glad everything is working except sleep did you ever take pics of the bios settings? please do and post them

Hey before you go and try a whole bunch of kexts including the sleep enabler lets try creating a different smbios.plist

THere is a link I think on page 7 of this topic for Lizard. Set it up as a iMac 7.1 and reboot see if sleep works. I know that typically sleep is broken by GFX however I have done some research and seems sometimes changing the smbios.plist to something other than a macpro 3.1 works to fix sleep

hi ridgeline

sleep seems to be working !! (tried twice and it was ok )

seems to be ok with sleepenabler kext in E/E

it was nicely sleeping (off) the morning, i woke it with a hug (no forget about that) and it came striaght to life.

1 hour ago when i came home it had gone back to sleep again, being off with no fans running as it should be and again the awakening was OK.

i will see again when i get home this evening if it still works that way.

i'm not installing a lot of kexts just sleepenabler in E/E is the only modification i made.

let's see if it keeps working!

i'll look into lizard's smbios (not replace as long as it works with sleepenabler).

that i'm supposed to have an "updated" version of sleepenabler (meant for 10.6.2 as previous versions were unstable)

i'll look for geekbench

i'll also post bios screens as soon as possible

Note that is sleepenabler is not the "right way" to have correct sleep mode on this motherboard, i'll be willing to find out. I haven't experienced any KP yet but i don't want to keep a kext that is not reliable.

i can try the modified smbios from lizard and remove temporarily sleepenabler, would you do that for test purposes?

sleep NOT ok :)

this evening it didn't work (computer stayed on, monitor slept), and i tried again a few hours ago, same result.

sleepenabler doesn't seem to be THE right solution.

i'll give a try with smbios modified (and removing sleepenabler)

thats weird.

if your using this board with this boot file and dsdt it should be working with no extra kexts.

the only kext i am using is

/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext /Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext /Extra/Extensions/OpenHaltRestart.kext

my restart stopped working so i had to put openhaltrestart back in. no big deal

If i could get wireless working i would be good

UPDATE: With the kext in /Extra mentioned above and using ridgelines dsdt the update to 10.6.3 went perfect. It didnt break sleep restart or shutdown and as far as i can tell everything is working fine

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Sorry i was wrong i didnt even pay attention until i went to play music but it DOES BREAK SOUND

thats weird.

if your using this board with this boot file and dsdt it should be working with no extra kexts.

the only kext i am using is

/Extra/Extensions/fakesmc.kext /Extra/Extensions/LegacyHDA.kext /Extra/Extensions/OpenHaltRestart.kext

my restart stopped working so i had to put openhaltrestart back in. no big deal

If i could get wireless working i would be good

i'm using the boot file and dsdt that included in the package, is that ok ? (i have indeed a g41m-es2l rev 1,0)

in E/E i have only fakesmc and legacyhda.

i removed sleepenabler but it s not working and you seem to tell me that it not the way to go and can cause instability with updates

i'm now trying to change the smbios.plist from macpro3,1 to imac7,1 as ridge said

this morning the sleeping was OK, it works, let s see if it keeps working now

me again:

ridgeline: i haven't forgotten to post my bios images, just need some time

both of you : you also have rev 1.0 of this board ? what sata drives to you have and in which sata port did you plug them, this could be interesting.

also you have a reliable working sleep mode ? (never fails to go to sleep?). i guess you did not install something more than the package and you do not use the sleepenabler (which doesn't work so well finally), did you modify your smbios to change chez macpro 3,1 or not

One more thing: regarding sleep mode and time machine saves on an external usb drive. I guess this is not going to work. Each time my external hd is on and the computer manages to go to sleep, when i wake it up it says the the disk has not been correctly unmounted :D and logically time machine automatic saves on that disk won't be working. How did you set your TM ? manually?

ridgeline : here is my geekbench 64 bit result in attachment

i saw the 10.6.3 was out, anybody tested it with our board? we should be able to get back in case of problem if we do a TM save before

post-592671-1269932024_thumb.jpg

I am not with my Hac at the moment but Cybercap do me a favor and open system profiler and select the USB key on the left and take a screen shot. If your usbs are screwed up then that could be your problem for the sleep and external drive issue.

Nandor use my post installer and when it opens select customize then un check everything except audio and repair permissions using kext utility and see if that helps? according to the update there is nothing with audio fixes I have read anyway.

Cybercap my system is rock solid never fails sleep and I have not installed sleep enabler since I patched the dsdt. And yes most people here are using the rev 1.0 board Time machine works it just won't save when the computer sleeps it would not do it anyway. The issue is when you are waking from sleep it kicks the USB and acts as if you unplugged it instead of ejecting first.

I am running the smbios that is on the installer that I made. Mac Pro 3,1

Also google voodoomonitor download. install the kext with kext utility and the run the monitor it will show us if you speedstep is working.

UPDATE: With the kext in /Extra mentioned above and using ridgelines dsdt the update to 10.6.3 went perfect. It didnt break sleep restart or shutdown and as far as i can tell everything is working fine

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Sorry i was wrong i didnt even pay attention until i went to play music but it DOES BREAK SOUND

Did you check system preferences to make sure your speakers were correctly selected under sound system preferences

I am not with my Hac at the moment but Cybercap do me a favor and open system profiler and select the USB key on the left and take a screen shot. If your usbs are screwed up then that could be your problem for the sleep and external drive issue.

ok. i'm busy these days but tonite i hope i can post this and the bios images

FYI, sleep mode did not work with corrected smbios (imac7,1), so this did not help. i have removed sleepenabler as it "seemed" to work twice, but the third time it failed (to go to sleep).

if you haven't done any mods apart from installing your package and your sleep works it might be worth looking on the usb or bios side, i will post screens of my config.

Cybercap my system is rock solid never fails sleep and I have not installed sleep enabler since I patched the dsdt.

Do i also have the patched dsdt, was it included in the post install package ?

And yes most people here are using the rev 1.0 board Time machine works it just won't save when the computer sleeps it would not do it anyway. The issue is when you are waking from sleep it kicks the USB and acts as if you unplugged it instead of ejecting first.

yes that is normal, if the computer shuts down to sleep, usb drives can be ejected nicely. I guess this does not damage the drive and harm the saves stored on it ?

I am running the smbios that is on the installer that I made. Mac Pro 3,1

ok. i have yours too, macpro or imac or whatever does not solve my sleep problem. Anyway, the smbios is only "text" isn't it ? I could write that i have an eight-core with 32gb and that wouldn't matter

Also google voodoomonitor download. install the kext with kext utility and the run the monitor it will show us if you speedstep is working.

ok !

EDIT: if speedstep is related to the CPU EIST line in the bios, i have mine to disabled as far as i can remember (will check back home)

I upgraded to 10.6.3 yesterday. Two issues & easy resolutions:

1. SleepEnabler caused a KP. I was using an old version. There are 10.6.3 version available - upgrading fixed this.

2. Sound stopped working. I saw someone else suggested replacing AppleHDA.kext with the one from 10.6.2. So I fired up TimeMachine & grabbed the old file. This fixed sound.

After that, 10.6.3 is working without issue.

For the automatic sleep thing, I had to install a program called PleaseSleep. To be fair, I needed to use this on my real mac too. It fixes the problem of the computer not going to sleep automatically. If you're still having problems manually putting the computer to sleep, I don't know - sleepenabler fixes those for me. And I don't have USB drives plugged in, so I can't comment there. I have TimeMachine working via Airport Express.

hi iRobie, thanks for your answer

1. sleepenabler seemed to be working here, it was ok twice but the third time = no sleep (despite the monitor going off, computer stayed on). As it is said to be unstable and a kp cause, i removed it.

so far i haven't been able to have my computer go to sleep after a fixed time plan, reliably and repeatedly. But manually it works like a charm, this puzzles me.

2. i will be upgrading to 10.6.3 tonight, what is the right appleHDA file date and size please ?

3. i will look for pleasesleep. note that sleep doesn't work here even when my external hard drive is off, so that shouldn't matter.

connected USBs are only KB and mouse, card reader, x-rite monitor calibration

4. ridgeline: here is the screenshot of my usb section, i will post bios screens soon

post-592671-1269987195_thumb.png

Okay that was not what I thought of but you posted the right screen. Check each of the entries that say bus usb not the ones that show what is plugged in but the root make sure they say internal or built in.

@iRobie your tried my dsdt? should eliminate the need for the extra stuff such as sleep enabler.

For those that want working audio after update please run this installer credit to Tonymac great little installer re installs Applehda from 10.6.2

the easy way

10.6.2_AppleHDAInstaller.zip

Okay that was not what I thought of but you posted the right screen. Check each of the entries that say bus usb not the ones that show what is plugged in but the root make sure they say internal or built in.

ok i'll post that at lunch :P

in my screenshot it looks like there are hi-speed usbs but also "normal" ones ? does this board still have 1.1 or all the usb are 2.0 ? i connected the front usb and i added a 2 usb-port at the back to enable all 8 ports (but not all have an usb device plugged in at all times)

I also noticed that my usb keyboard is not working anymore at post, even with legacy KB on in bios (everything usb is on) ! any ideas -_-

i have to plug a ps/2 kb to enter setup...

For those that want working audio after update please run this installer credit to Tonymac great little installer re installs Applehda from 10.6.2

the easy way

Okay well my update to 10.6.3 went exactly as expected. Only thing broken was audio but thanks to the simple installler from TonyMac everything is back up.

Also there is a guy name Cartri who is making modified bios for different Gigabyte boards. He has not made one for our board yet but if we have enough interest he may. This would give us the opportunity to run as vanilla install as possible with no more need for DSDT.

I am interested and wanted to see if anyone else was?

Okay well my update to 10.6.3 went exactly as expected. Only thing broken was audio but thanks to the simple installler from TonyMac everything is back up.

same for me, the audio fix works great!

Also there is a guy name Cartri who is making modified bios for different Gigabyte boards. He has not made one for our board yet but if we have enough interest he may. This would give us the opportunity to run as vanilla install as possible with no more need for DSDT.

I am interested and wanted to see if anyone else was?

yes i'm very interested ! B)

@ridge the link to my bios screenshots you required :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybercap/sets...57623619353661/

@ridge the link to my usb entry in system profiler your required : http://www.flickr.com/photos/cybercap/sets...57623619412799/

..my apple usb keyboard is not working at startup, i have to use a ps/2 one to enter bios

all usb setting are enabled in bios as you can see and i tried also to switch to a different PSU, no change

however this is no big deal, i ll try to plug kb into a different usb to check.

looks like all of the usb are not excusively 2.0, still 1.1 on this board :wub: ?

just to be sure to understand one thing about the "vanilla" thing, dsdt, extra kexts and all that stuff... :

the trick is to have the less patched kexts and supplementary kexts in E/E as possible ? and to find "official" kexts (to put in S/L/E that are upgradable and thus choosing goog compatible components right from the start) and patching the dsdt is also upgrade-proof

is that what we're trying to do?

btw my sleep mode still doesn't work, but I should say it *works* sometimes because that's the truth but most of the time it doesn't. there must be something in my SL that prevents sleeping because my bios should be well configured (see images) and i haven't added any extra kext

got mines working perfectly at 10.6.3

with updated sleepenabler

humm damn i thought sleepeanbler was a nasty trick to avoid if possible :)

i tried what i thought to be an updated sleepenabler recently, went to sleep twice but not the third time (wtf ??)

would you be kind enough to post a link to the updated version again, i'll give it another try ?

thanks

I was reading about that as well and it's very interesting stuff. That would be nice to not have to mess with editing dsdt , although lately you have been doing most of the dsdt work :( so it's not that bad. Thanks by the way.

On another note, I finished setting up dual boot of win 7 and snow leopard on one 500 g harddrive (250 each)

and using another 500g for time machine and win 7 back up.

just a little question:

i'm trying to clone SL partition which is on a 160gb/8mb cache Samsung disk to a better 500gb/16mb WDC disk. Made the copy first with disk utility and tried also carbon copy cloner.

the copy is ok but the new disk does not boot (even if i change boot order in bios and even if i specify in SL boot order to use the new disk)

it is stuck at post after the DMI check.......

when i boot on the old one and THEN go to the startup options during the skull display, i can change to the new disk and it boots on it!

must be some chameleon edit or so,

can i change the default boot disk there

can anybody help ?

just a little question:

i'm trying to clone SL partition which is on a 160gb/8mb cache Samsung disk to a better 500gb/16mb WDC disk. Made the copy first with disk utility and tried also carbon copy cloner.

the copy is ok but the new disk does not boot (even if i change boot order in bios and even if i specify in SL boot order to use the new disk)

it is stuck at post after the DMI check.......

when i boot on the old one and THEN go to the startup options during the skull display, i can change to the new disk and it boots on it!

must be some chameleon edit or so,

can i change the default boot disk there

can anybody help ?

you mean this?

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

add this in apple.com.boot.plist in your extra folder on the default disk

0 being the disk and 3 being the partition .

this is the sleep enabler i used:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196466

The reason it does not boot when you change the boot order under bios is because that disk does not have a boot loader on it. Open my post installer and select only the chameleon boot loader under the custom install option and make sure you select the correct hdd to install to and run it then reboot go into bios select your order the way you want it and save then restart should be good to go. The entry into the plist mentioned above is select a partition on a disk not a different disk.