[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

Okay glad sound was working I was going to ask about applehda and also if you installed hdaenabler you should probably uninstall it. As far as sleep goes did you update your system to 10.6.2 and I would install the R1000SL kext with kextutility just drag and drop it on the icon let it install on the /S/L/E folder. and remove the ionetworking kext in your extras folder. Also under energy settings check the reboot on powerfailure box. don't know why but it is required. also instead of seeing after you have done the above mentioned things go to the apple logo top left click and go down and see if you can just force sleep by clicking the sleep option. Also what video card are you using?

without the proper dsdt settings for your processor I would not remove NullCPUPowermanagement but any of the others would be okay to remove.

My screen has always been great with a nVidia GS8400 never had tearing or anything might be conflict of kexts or something along those lines.....

Yes try the boot file it is a very cleaned up version you will not notice alot on the surface but booting and shutdown as well as restart work much better I also got more accurate memory info.

Also my sound is perfect but when I tried using voodoohda I had issues and someone else was complaining of volume but with this method everything is great. I have a great install via USB and then a simple installer package I created for use after first reboot so now my install is a 2 step process and I am golden.

Hi , some news here :D

The computer went to sleep yesterday night but DEEP sleep, meaning it was completely off :)

it shut down. so when i pressed power this morning it started from boot. weird.

i read that some people had this shutdown problem (when going to sleep) but i hadn't. Anyway, it doesn't work

Okay glad sound was working I was going to ask about applehda and also if you installed hdaenabler you should probably uninstall it.

Yes ! sound is OK i'm happy ! I'll check if i have an HDAenabler somewhere and remove it

As far as sleep goes did you update your system to 10.6.2 and I would install the R1000SL kext with kextutility just drag and drop it on the icon let it install on the /S/L/E folder.

yes i'm running 10.6.2

I tried to drop once a kext on kextutility icon in my window but it didn't seem to install, looks like the "drop" was not allowed. l'll try it again

and remove the ionetworking kext in your extras folder.

ok, sending it to trash and the run kextutility in the end

Also under energy settings check the reboot on powerfailure box. don't know why but it is required.

i'll be looking into this too.

also instead of seeing after you have done the above mentioned things go to the apple logo top left click and go down and see if you can just force sleep by clicking the sleep option.

I'll try that when I get home for lunch in a few hours

Also what video card are you using?

Nvidia 9500GT

without the proper dsdt settings for your processor I would not remove NullCPUPowermanagement but any of the others would be okay to remove.

How can I get the right DSDT for my processor (intel Q8300) ? Under "my mac" it reads 2.5ghz quad core Xeon which is right (apart from the Xeon thing)

Which cpupower management kext can/should I remove?

My screen has always been great with a nVidia GS8400 never had tearing or anything might be conflict of kexts or something along those lines.....

ok, I'll see if it happens again. it's not tearing (which could mean kind of slowness, not at all), it just some kind of weird lines , exactly like a barcode in the thick border of the finder window for instance not on desktop. It it happens again i'll try to capture it!

maybe it has something to do with the ton of NV injector i might be having (seems like a mess here too but it works), i had nvkush, nvenabler, maybe others...would be glad to clean this up too if you know how

otherwise QE/CI works perfects, i didn't know how to check for it and this site helped me alot. all is fine.

http://prasys.co.cc/tag/qeci-snow-leopard/

Yes try the boot file it is a very cleaned up version you will not notice alot on the surface but booting and shutdown as well as restart work much better I also got more accurate memory info.

How do I manage and try your "boot" file ? should I put it somewhere ?

it has nothing to do with the com.apple.boot.plist i guess?

Also my sound is perfect but when I tried using voodoohda I had issues and someone else was complaining of volume but with this method everything is great. I have a great install via USB and then a simple installer package I created for use after first reboot so now my install is a 2 step process and I am golden.

if your package for the G41M-ES2L is working straight on with the 64 bit kernel boot, could you again post a link to it for me to download and keep !

MANY THANKS for helping all of us out :)

PS: another small issue to mention if I may , some widget in the dashboard sometimes take time before being "ready", especially the date and calendar which often stays completely black until i click on it and the it appears. any ideas why the dashboard widget are a bit slow to come to live?

HI,

I used to be in the same boat as you but now after

messing with dsdt and the whole hackintosh thing I kinda know what's going on.

As far as the sleep goes it is very nessasary to put a check next to the powerfailer option in enerysaver options in preferences.

You will put the boot file in /Extra where your dsdt and apple.boot.plist is. Remember to alwAys run kext utility after you change anything.

As far as your other problems, since you have put in and deleted so many different this it would be hard to say. I understand I did the same stuff at first. I would suggest doing a clean install using the USB guide that was made for g41m-es2l. Then downlaod this http://www.mediafire.com/?gnjeynygmuy thanks to ridgeline and replace your boot file, dsdt and kext with the ones in that download and you will have a nice running machine. I know it sounds like alot of work buts it's not and plus when you have a USB with a bootable snow leopard on it it's nice to have around. If you would like I could make a video to show you step by step what I'm talking about. I would be more than happy to do that.

Sorry that was wrong, you will find the boot file when you go to finder and open your snow leopard hard drive. It will just say "boot" underneath it. Don't put it in the /extra folder. Sorry about that I don't know what I was thinking.

great follow up nandor I was just about to state that if the computer goes to sleep but does not wake it is due to the restart on power failure option not being checked....

If you want help with getting native speedstep to work then get with me via IM and we can talk about what info I will need from you and then I will work (time permitting) on a modified dsdt so that you can eliminate the nullcpupowermanagement. if all goes well with this you should be able to do any software updates directly from apple. I have so far with no issues. You should only have one video kext. I myself only use the graphicsenabler that is built into chameleon. We can work on this to. Your system should run pretty close to a vanilla install with the exception of the 3 kexts I use at this point. R1000SL.kext, FakeSMC.kext, and LegacyHDA.kext everything else would be vanilla.

I am doing some research at the moment and looking into a few things but I have heard via some bios updates on other Gigabyte boards with the same audio that they are able to run full audio with the legacyhda, with a correct dsdt. I am hoping to hear more about this.

hi both of you , so great to have knowledgeable contributors around :)

sleep mode

- when i put it to sleep with the apple logo menu, it works, it goes off and i can resume via power button.

- i checked the box for powerfailure like you mention, let's see. i've been experiencing rather inconsistent sleep fonction; sometimes it went to sleep like it should, sometimes it didn't at all and sometimes it went completely off (needing a fresh restart). I'll test it out tonight with the new check.

- also if i keep nullcpupowermanagement, what "powersave" files should i remove and where ?

other stuff:

- the "boot" file , don't know what it does? going to test it tonight also. Should optimize my system ? as i'm running a quad core with 8 gigs and 64bits kernel, should be pretty fast so i'm trying to set it up as good as possible (doing lot of photo retouching via aperture, CS4, and capture NX)

- noticed some average hard disk performance, around 35mb/s for reading, moving copying files between sata disks, looks lower that in win7 (70mb/s normal, 160mb/s raid reading) , any way to optimize disk utilisation ? i have a samsung sp204c 250gb 7200tr 8mb cache drive which should be pretty decent but obviously slower that the 500mb w/ 32mb cache drives (in w7 the cache difference means a lot).

- regarding the graphical "bug" i mentionned earlier (like barcodes around the windows) i noticed some kind of a new graphical bug when opening my usb key icon, the upper icon line has broken box edges, see here:

broken edges

any ideas

THANKS

Wow that is strange I have never had that happen to me but it could once again go back to everything that was done in the past if you have multiple kexts for video they easily could conflict one another. probably the best thing to do is to re install even using the Empire EFI disk as that is where I started before, but once you reboot simply run my installer package.

As far as sleep is concerned it could be from a variety of things but could have a lot to do with why you get the broken edges on your display once again going back to, too many different video drivers trying to work at the same time.... quite frankly I am surprised you do not get KP's If you do have more than one method of graphics enabled.

Very cool! I installed the Chameleon Preference Pane when I made the switch to 64bit. I like the look of Lizard better.

I tried your DSDT file & it didn't work for me. Speedstep and Sleep both stopped working. What bios version are you on? I'm on F6.

I am sorry I did not reply to this I must have simply overlooked it.

I am running F6 and many have had great success with my dsdt. were your running sleepenabler or can you tell me wht is in the Extra/Extensions folder?

Wow that is strange I have never had that happen to me but it could once again go back to everything that was done in the past if you have multiple kexts for video they easily could conflict one another. probably the best thing to do is to re install even using the Empire EFI disk as that is where I started before, but once you reboot simply run my installer package.

ok i see you really suggesting to reinstall from scratch instead of trying to sort out all the kext files... i'll give it a try once more to try to do a bit of a clean up.

your package is ok for 64bit boot/kernel, is it?

As far as sleep is concerned it could be from a variety of things but could have a lot to do with why you get the broken edges on your display once again going back to, too many different video drivers trying to work at the same time.... quite frankly I am surprised you do not get KP's If you do have more than one method of graphics enabled.

computer didnt go to sleep when i got home a few minutes ago, sometimes it does sometimes not (i have checked powerfailure)...

regarding graphics what NV shoud i be using to enable full capacity of the 9500GT (QE/CI) ?

btw, what model of hard drive are yu using ? partionned ?

and anothe question you do your saves with time machine and clone carbon copy?

last question for reinstall, is it far better with a usb key ? faster i guess. i need to copy the content of the SL dvd to the key, boot with empire then install from the key

hello

just to mention :

- for graphics (9500GT) i seem to be using in S/L/E :

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV5Hl.kext

NVDAResman.kext

NVEnabler.kext

NVSMU.kext

nothing NV.. in E/E

note that i have sleepenabler.kext in S/L/E too and i got nullcpupowermanagement in E/E

note that i removed ionetworking from the Extras folder but it is still present in the S/L/E folder

does this make sense ?

Okay step one remove the sleep enabler step two the o ly thing that is not native at the nvidia stuff is nvenabler. Can you look in your extra folder and tell me what the boot.com.plist says just open it with text edit. We need to look at a few things there to determine if chameleon is trying to load you video as well if it is not then I will give you instructions for us to try something else

thanks

I just removed sleepenabler from S/L/E, let's see (my computer did go to sleep last night, but i did ! :( )

the o ly thing that is not native at the nvidia stuff is nvenabler

what did you say here?

Here is my boot.com.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1024x768x32</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>PciRoot</key>

<string>1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Again thanks for your help :(

Okay remove the NVEnabler as you should have working graphics via the GraphicsEnabler that is in your boot.com.plist.

vanilla = from Apple and is native.

run Kext utilty and then run disk utility repair permissions.

hi

removed NVEnabler..nothing changed graphics ok..which is good news :D guess i've lightened the "kext" weight a tad

ran kext utility and repair disk permissions (which repaired a lot of things, hadn't run it for a while)

i'll check this afternoon about my sleep problem, guess it still doesn't go to sleep but sometimes it does (more often it does not)

also will look into hard drive optimisation, guess my hd is not so fast (despite being a 7200tr..), it kinds of slowing the system a bit down in my opinion

also mouse speed is set at the max, looks fine but cannot set it further (quicker), any utilty to set mouse faster with maybe tweaking acceleration and smothing ?

so as for now i have in E/E:

EvOreboot.kext dated 30 oct 09

FakeSMC.kext dated 20 nov 09

LegacyHDA_ALC888.kext dated 29 may 09

NullCPUPowermanagement dated 22 aug 09

does that look ok to you ?

did you use the boot file I posted earlier? if so you could probably remove the EvOreboot.kext

I dont think the NullCPU would keep you from sleep but I am unsure. I always used sleepenabler with it until I fixed the dsdt for our boards. And you did make sure the restart on powerfailure was checked under system preferences correct?

Now that you have removed the NVEnabler please let me know if you get the broken edges problem again

And in answer to your question if you use my installer you will be 64bit vanilla with the kexts I mentioned I have.

Works great and I get a 42xx score on benchmark with a dual core cpu.

hi again

yes i used your boot file instead of mine

ok i'll try to remove EvOreboot (i'll move it to desktop first to try)

i also use your dsdt so this should be ok

i checked the restard on powerfailure

i am also i bios on S3 and EPT 64bit

for the broken edges, i will look for then and tell your if they come back

ok for your install if i start from scratch again, i'll use it for sure !

as an aside, i sometime noticed that when i launche the dashboard some items do not completely display until i mouseover them , like istat nano for instance , and then it works ok whenever i invoke the dashboard again

another thing : i crashed this afternoon ! wow ! i was not at home but when i came back the monitor was on standby, the computer was ON (not off in sleep) but would not respond. i rebooted everything is ok (just safari told me it may have crashed)

tried to watch for sleep mode this evening and it would definitively not go to sleep

i have set screen sleep and computer sleep at 5min both (screensaver at 3min) , for test purposes

and at 5min the monitor screen goes to sleep but NOT the computer

i also tried to set monitor sleep 1min ahead (screensv 3, monitor 4, computer 5)

the first two are ok but not computer sleep

what can i try to change ?

just to be sure that i have the right main files , here are my file infos:

dsdt.aml 17k, 26 fev 2010

boot 164k, 6 fev 2010

com.apple.boot.plist 4k, 25 fev 2010

I will have to look at a few things it maybe related to just the mess of different kexts that have been installed and removed in a try at a great operating system.

Or it could be processor related. I will have to check around a bit and get back to you. I am unsure as to why with the dsdt I provided other than the speedstep would not allow you to sleep the pc what happens if you manually make it sleep also in you bios do you only have the s3 sleep set? Also are you using all sata drives?

Are you dual booting or is this simply set up for Mac?

If you have a way to get back into the drive for testing purposes, I would say remove the NullCPUPowermanagment.kext and see what happens, If it works and you can put the computer to sleep then I will tell you what I need in order to modify this dsdt for your processor. I would not recommend running it with the one installed without modification for very long just to test and then we can work on fixing it for you. I think this is the problem you should get speedstep but it wont be accurate and you might only see 2 cores.

Okay here is a updated dsdt it is based on a Q8400 and I know yours is a Q8300 but it should work for testing purposes.

Q8400_DSDT.zip

hi again

as for now i have 3 problems left :

1- computer won't go to sleep (but monitor will go and manually i can force it)

2- dashboard is not so good.., widget do not fully display unless i refresh or mouseover them (can be linked to some sort of sync or parental control from what i read ??)

3- after a while i get broken edges in apps and finder and sometimes more heavier graphical bug (barcodes,..) on my windows. note that when this happens on the finder, restarting it solve the problem.

for 1 i'll try what you say and let you know

for 2, do you have any help on that, does your dashboard immediately display fine icos ? my problematic widget are calendar, istat nano and currency converter mainly (tried to reinstall them without success), sync or parental lock problem? it s like that had kind of problem to sync/display...

for 3 hummm don't really know what it could be, must be graphic related, i'm giving actually a try with NVEnablr64.kext and without the graphicEnabler line in the boot.plist

to answer your questions:

i'm running mac only, the comp is 100% devoted to mac, no PC here, 2 sata drives, 1 sata DVD. 1 9500GT, 1 Q8300 on G41M-ES2L, nothing overclocked.

So , for now, should i remove the Null... AND install your new dsdt ?

Okay so you are still getting the graphics issues ? I have never had that issue with my dashboards on any of the hacs o have built so I am kinda stumped on that one. And you can manually sleep the computer does it wake fine?

Yes at this point I recommend installing the dsdt that I posted last night. And remove null cpupowermanagement always repair permissions with at least kext utility and reboot.

You will be doing this at a risk so you may want to back up your info to another drive or proceed without I don't know what you have on your computer to lose but just in the event you get a kp. There are ways to fix what you are about to do but you would need to be familiar with command line. I still think your best bet would be to do a clean install but that is just me.

Let me know how it goes

Also what type of connection are you using from the card to the display monitor?

hi ridgeline

always happy to see you around

i haven't done any changes (the last you mentionned) and the manual sleep does put in in so deep sleep that i can't wake it up anymore -_- i'm forced to reset, not so good !

i have no important document as i started install from scratch some days ago (but installed software, aperture, stuffit, all kind of little things...) so i can't start over

anyway i made a backup , but a time machine backup which is not a real one like carbon copy i guess. i will try your last dsdt and remove null...

i haven't seen graphics problem for now (testing nvenabler64) but dashboard it still not working as it should that is fast and reliable, but slow to display some widget and sometimes won't display unless i refresh.

my actual install is on a full 250gb

I have 2 160b available, one is the backup i mentionned and on the other i will carry out a clean fresh install with your stuff (boot and package)

i will just change the way the computer boots, telling hi cd first and then the free 160gb instead of the 250gb, that should work and if i need to go back here, i'll just swap the booting sequence

i'm using dvi to link the 9500GT to my Eizo CG243W

hi

some news from a clean install i did with your boot cd and post install package

everything went nicely during install, i then did a carbon clone copy and a time machine save

a few things :

1. sound is not working, i have the sound icon but no sound (i checked sound output preferences, does not work). i guess i will have to load the legacyhda-888 somewhere, like E/E

2. sleep mode is not working , monitor goes off but not the computer

3. kernel 64bit boot was not fully activated , this nice software does it all automatically

http://www.ahatfullofsky.comuv.com/English...ms/SMS/SMS.html

4. graphics look good, dashboard is not corrupted, sometimes weather does not display temperature (meaning it displays right but just does not synchronize/update). Calendar is ok. iStat nano which was broken last time seems now to load ok.

No tearing or windows "barcodes" corruption as for now !!

5. smbios.plist was not right but i corrected it easily

6. i updated to 10.6.2 , done.

the install seems fresh and clean. i do regular time machine saves and i keep first CCC in case i need to go back from start.

- any ideas to get sound and sleep mode, before i mess everything up ? :)

- can i optimize my boot and dsdt.aml to match my system ?

Did you use my post installer. It should have loaded everything to 64 bit.

I can not help if you load software i know nothing about. That can change things in places that I would not know.

Also take some pics of your bios settings I wonder if that is where your problem is for the sleep is

dsdt is to get your board specific items so there is not much that would be modified other than processor settings.

Unless you know how to code then dont touch the boot.

What was wrong with you smbios plist

What did you do to check if 64 bit was not running before you loaded the other software?

If you ran my installer did you just run the simple install or did you customize anything?

Is your board a G41M-ES2L rev 1.0?

Did you use my post installer. It should have loaded everything to 64 bit.

Yes i used your post installer and nothing else

I can not help if you load software i know nothing about. That can change things in places that I would not know.

i did not run anything else

Also take some pics of your bios settings I wonder if that is where your problem is for the sleep is

ok, i'm going to do this

dsdt is to get your board specific items so there is not much that would be modified other than processor settings.

Unless you know how to code then dont touch the boot.

ok

What was wrong with you smbios plist

it did not display full cpu information, i removed the line smcputype and now it's ok it's detected as a 2,5ghz quad core xeon

What did you do to check if 64 bit was not running before you loaded the other software?

i checked it with the piece of software called 32bit/64bit selector, i posted the link in the previous post, it said everything was running 64 except boot, i clicked "64" , reboot, now in full 64 (don't know if it changes anything, don't know enough about).

load the soft i mentionned and see what it tells you on your system

If you ran my installer did you just run the simple install or did you customize anything?

i ran the installer without customizing anything.

after install : no sound ; no sleep

after post install package : same

after updating 10.6.2 : same

Is your board a G41M-ES2L rev 1.0?

yes

;)

please tell me what is in your E/E folder.

I am glad that your graphics and dashboard are working well, as far as audio try swapping the legacyHDA888 with the one my installer installed should not be any different but it may have not installed correctly download kext utility and run it first as a check and see if at least you audio comes back sleep we will have to work on but I think I may need to do some research on that first which will have to wait until tomorrow. The weather is based on getting info from the net so that may be related to your internet speed or connection.