[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

When you put the boot cd in and turn the computer on you will get a screen that shows your HD and the boot cd here you press eject and load you mac install disc. Wait a minute then hit the f5 key it will then show your mac install disc on the screen select the install disc by using the arrow keys and install the os. When the install is done reboot your computer when the compture restarts you will need the boot cd one more time this time the screen will show your HD and boot cd select your HD this time and boot into your install. Once you have everything setup. Run my post installer

reboot and you should be good to go.

The GUI stands for graphical user interface and basically means at the pretty screen so you don't deal with just text or code.

Well I have to give credit where it is due. The USB method by Stella V1 worked great at making my USB bootable and I restored my SL image to an SD Card actually and then ran the Stella V1 installer after I ran the installer I simply opened up the image and added a few things for example my post installer that I have linked to before and iWork. I rebooted from the SD Card and the install was remarkably faster than from disc and you dont have the aggrevation of changing discs. I still recommend my post installer as it has the corrected DSDT for the G41M and the LegacyHDA drivers needed. Fast and simple with minimum additional kexts.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

i'me running SL on the G41M-ES2L every worked fine with many guides around.

but yesterday i wanted to give 64bit kernel boot a try (my EFI is 64bit so should be ok), indeed it booted nicely but i seem to have lost 2 features:

-one being the SOUND :) , no sound anymore when booting 64bit

-the other being the sleep function (sleepEnabler i guess), my computer no more goes off in sleep

i guess i need 64bit drivers (kexts, DSDT or so , i'm new to mac world and don't understand much) for these 2 little guys

can anyone help me on that :) ?

what I know:

- i know kext are like drivers and how to intall them via kext helper

- i know how to remove a kext (via a terminal line)

- i know the DSDT manages a lot of info but looks complicated

in 32 bit I ran myhack installer and everything worked nicely (lan, audio, graphic 9500GT) and even boot without cd/key

but in 64 bit boot i have the sound and sleep problem :(

THANKS in advance !

Okay 1st question what audio kexts were you running as Azalia only has 32 bit support and if you do not have a dsdt that is a requirement. DSDT with a LegacyHDA kext will fix sound for 32 bit and if you delete the Sleep enabler and install a patched dsdt it will fix that as well.

Okay I am no professional at this however I have been around for awhile I recommend using Kext Utilty instead of Kext helper as the extensions.mkext get put in the wrong place with kext helper as it was designed for Leopard not Snow Leopard.

I have created a DSDT that should work perfect for you. It will enable sleep and vanilla speedstep on dual core processors. The DSDT needs to be update somewhat for the quad core but I dont have one so I can not do that at this time.

Ridgeline, thanks for your help

i will try to answer your questions to get my sound and sleep mode back:

-where can I look which sound kexts i'm running, i guess i'm running many of then :P , i've seen applehda, hdaenabler i guess, then i tried to install legacy_888...it's a bit of a mess :(

ii

- i have a DSDT but don't know what's inside and how to edit it (i grabbed itr somewhere where the guy was using the same motherboard)

- i downloaded kext utility but when i launched it went all the way to the end repairing and fixing permissions, is there a way to install and remove kext with it?

- my cpu is a Q8300 and 2x4gb Ram

- for sleep i don't know either what i have install, sleepenabler for sure, and maybe appelintelcpu...or the nullcpupower... i get a bit confused

sorry for all the mix, everything was ok in 32bits , but i guess with your help i can fix it for 64.

waiting for your feedback and thanks again for helping :)

Okay open the drive in finder and look for a folder in the root directory called extra and tell me what is in it. the LegacyHDA should be there.

I would recommend using my post installer but would hate to tell you to start over on your install. Kext utility repairs the permissions in multiple spots not just the /System/Library/Extensions folder. to install with Kext Utility you would drag and drop whatever kext you are adding to the appropriate folder and then run this or if the kext is going into the extensions folder mentioned above you can drag and drop the kext on to the kextutilty icon and it will handle everything.

Did you install off of a thumb drive or a cd and how much would you lose by starting over?

AppleIntelCPU should be there but with the appropriate dsdt the sleep enabler kext is not needed if you want to use the sleepenabler go to kext.com and check for an updated version.

I would leave the nullcpupowermanagement in the extras folder as my dsdt does not have all fields needed for a quad core cpu.

Also on a side note my front USB's are working they just got disconnected somehow.

hi again, you're really kind for helping me out i'm quoting you it's easier to read

Okay open the drive in finder and look for a folder in the root directory called extra and tell me what is in it. the LegacyHDA should be there.

in /extra i have:

com.apple.boot.plist

dsdt.aml

extensions.mkxt

extensions.bak.mkext

smbios.plist

/extensions

/themes

inside ths extra folder i guess subfolder /themes is not important so in /extensions i have:

evoreboot.kext

fakesmc.kext

ionetworkingfamily.kext

legacyapplert.kext

nullcpupowermanagement.kext

sleepenabler.kext

that's it

I would recommend using my post installer but would hate to tell you to start over on your install. Kext utility repairs the permissions in multiple spots not just the /System/Library/Extensions folder. to install with Kext Utility you would drag and drop whatever kext you are adding to the appropriate folder and then run this or if the kext is going into the extensions folder mentioned above you can drag and drop the kext on to the kextutilty icon and it will handle everything.

yes, starting all over is a bit too much, and i guess that the flexibility of the mac system should enable to get me in the tracks again doesn't it?

ok i'm giving up kext helper and i'll be using kext utility as for now ;)

Did you install off of a thumb drive or a cd and how much would you lose by starting over?

i used EMPIRE EFI cd-rw with a little iso on it and then swapped for the SL DVD. I "could" do it again but prefer to fix it if possible (or revert to 32 bits if i have to..)

AppleIntelCPU should be there but with the appropriate dsdt the sleep enabler kext is not needed if you want to use the sleepenabler go to kext.com and check for an updated version.

I would leave the nullcpupowermanagement in the extras folder as my dsdt does not have all fields needed for a quad core cpu.

you can see which files i got but i also got much more kexts il S/L/E folder (210 kexts files, including legacyHDA_ALC888.kext)

Also on a side note my front USB's are working they just got disconnected somehow.

all my usbs seem to work, i didnt notice disconnections only when the omputer went to sleep with an external HD powered on.

Another thing regarding sleep mode, it seems to work again, weird, sometimes not, lets say works eraticaly. I set my computer sleep time to 15min to check that while i'm watchng TV waiting for your answer :)

thanks again !

Okay the last thing you replied to is kinda of a side note refering back to a usb issue I was having with my front usb ports not working before. I have attached my dsdt simply replace the one you have with this one and let me know what happens. I only have fakesmc.kext and LegacyHDA in my extras folder some have others but based on the fact I am not sure what else you have without getting all of the extensions from the S/L/E folder which would be a pain anyway lets try simply swapping in my DSDT, removing the Sleepenabler , and also move the LegacyHDA from where it is to the Extras/Extensions folder and then run Kext Utility. Please post progress and let me know. Also remove the LegacyAppleRTC.kext as it does not work under 64bit anyway and you should not need it with the attached DSDT.

dsdt.aml.zip

hi again,

tried it but still no sound and no sleep mode (I set 2min for screen and computer to go to sleep, the screen effectively goes off but the computer stays on)

just to be sure i did things the right way:

- to remove kexts i simply put them in the trashcan (asks for password each time)

- same to move kexts or replace the dsdt.aml , i first dumped mine and then put yours in place

- then finally ran kext utility, and reboot

so as for now your dsdt is in place instead of mine

removed legacyAppleRTC and sleepenabler from extra/extensions

and moved the legacyHDA.. from S/L/E to E/E

unfortunately this does not work ;)

i hope this copy/paste/move kext manner is ok for permissions

just to add, i found info on other topic like this quote but my problem is getting the soud to work in 64bits kernel boot environnement, in 32bits i had no problem and legacy drivers seem to work fairly easily

[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]'s LegacyHDA option is now the updated version. Sounds like this will not be an upgrade for you. I don't have spdif devices, so having more outputs + front headphone enabled is an upgrade. For the old LegacyHDA_888b and DSDT mods, look in tonymacx86-snowleopard.zip.

(dl link:Public/tonymacx86-snowleopard.zip)

i haven't tried the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] thing, don't want to mess it all up

the sleep mode in 64bit would be nice but no so important to me, but i'd really like the sound to work, there must be a 64bit driver hanging around!

Also note that i have ALC888B sound chipset but a read that other mileages may work or be tweaked to fit

By the way, i saw just you got the same motherboard as me and you were also trying to get sound working in 64bits (i'm referring to your post on that topic dated 29 jan, : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...82655&st=80

hoping you have found out by now ;)

WORKSSSSSS !!!!!

I reckecked everything and the AppleHDA was not in the good place so i put it again in S/L/E (dit not copy at first attempt i guess ) and still no sound BUT the sound icon now showed up well-lit ! (it was grayed out before) and then i just had to switch to internal speakers and success !!!

;):D:)

i also had two applehda.kext in my downloads (one was 4,5mo other 7,4mo, i took the large one) to put in S/L/E

welcome sound !!

i don't know which "quality" the sound is (depending on decoding method and you seemed to have volume problems) but my sound seems ok and volume is normal

you're so great ! thanks !!

if you still have some patience left for the sleep mode in 64bits, would be great, what should i check ?

also as an aside, sometimes after a while there seems to be some graphical tearing in the windows borders, kinfd of colored vertical lines, essentially black and white very near, exactly like a barcode.

next time it happens i'll take a screenshot to see if i can post it , have you already noticed this ?

(nothing is overclocked on my system)

THANKS AGAIN :) :)

About sleep mode you mentionned on page 7

Here are the DSDT and the boot file....

Boot File will replace the boot file in your root directory just drag and drop that simple

DSDT replaces existing DSDT file and remember it enables vanilla speedstep and sleep so make sure sleepenabler.kext and any voodoopower kexts and pstchanger.kext are removed. reboot and post progress.

You should also be able to remove the openhaltrestart.kext, PlatformUUID.kext, NullCPUPowermanagement.kext from your extras folder.

As mentioned above I only have the FakeSMC.kext and LegacyHDA.kext in my Extras folder.

Attached File(s)

Boot_File_and_DSDT.zip ( 91.64K ) Number of downloads: 12

and also to copy the network RS1000SL to /extra might help

Should i try all that to solve my sleep mode issue ?