[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

Well using voodoohda it gets onboard working with no dsdt hacking however i get a low maximum volume. I will post updates as I work through this.

But man what a difference between 32 and 64 on the OS....

How would one tell if they are running 64 Bits or not? I removed the "arch=i386" line and it ran, but I can't tell if it's 64 bit mode or not. Is that listed somewhere in the profiler?

Well if you would like I am fairly versed in HDA pinconfig and code, I will pass on my work for testing as I have time. I wrote a sound driver for my Dell Studio that was stolen. Which version of the Voodoo HDA did you use? I have tried 2 versions one has low max volume another one had a preference pane but if I change the iMix setting I would get a lot of white noise. I will post my results probably Monday or Tuesday as my Hac is at my office and at home I am on the macbook

got to system profiler and select the software section. It will show you about 5 different things one of which will tell you if the 64bit kernel extensions are loaded. based on just removing the i386 command you mentioned your are still booting in 32 bit. Drag your apple.com.boot.plist to your desktop but not the one from your /Extra folder you need the one from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration add

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

save the file and move it back where you found it. authenticate enter password and then reboot.

Well if you would like I am fairly versed in HDA pinconfig and code, I will pass on my work for testing as I have time. I wrote a sound driver for my Dell Studio that was stolen. Which version of the Voodoo HDA did you use? I have tried 2 versions one has low max volume another one had a preference pane but if I change the iMix setting I would get a lot of white noise. I will post my results probably Monday or Tuesday as my Hac is at my office and at home I am on the macbook

got to system profiler and select the software section. It will show you about 5 different things one of which will tell you if the 64bit kernel extensions are loaded. based on just removing the i386 command you mentioned your are still booting in 32 bit. Drag your apple.com.boot.plist to your desktop but not the one from your /Extra folder you need the one from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration add

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>arch=x86_64</string>

save the file and move it back where you found it. authenticate enter password and then reboot.

Thanks: I looked in software and it says "64Bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes"

I used this instruction to get here: ● you can edit com.apple.Boot.plist located in /Extra and remove "arch-i386" after Kernel Flags if you wish to boot in 64bit, this can be done using a Texteditor (e.g. TextEdit, Textwrangler, BBEdit etc) or Terminal (nano).

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/che...n_snow_leopard/

That guide is very simple. :( It also allows you to check your existing extensions when you're still in 32bit mode to see which ones will give you grief when you try to boot in 64bit.

Psystar's OpenHaltRestart is NOT 64bit friendly..

Thanks: I guess I'll look at it, but I'm really only running this in 64 bit for an experiment. What isn't supposed to be working right? My sound is fine, using the on board speaker output (green output) to the speakers in the monitor it's connected to... onboard LAN also works, as does everything else that I can think of (except it doesn't see my Network Printer... is that Bonjour?)

Yes, please do so, sir.star_smile.gif I bought this board to professionally make music with it... and unfortunately I got everything working fine... except sound. Minor obstacle in this business.wink_anim.gif I mean Beethoven was deaf, wasn't he? unsure.gif

icon12.gif So, looking forward to Your input! icon12.gif

Leave it in 64bit mode, toss in 4gb of ram.. It's quite nice.. I leave XP running in VMWare non stop now that I have this much ram.. :(

I still haven't gotten my onboard sound to work.. I hate DSDT...

Well, I managed to break it: I was working on another drive in Windows (Dual Boot) and formatted the wrong drive... it even tried to stop me, but "I knew what I was doing..." so I get to go through the process again. That's okay: I need the practice? :)

One thing that didn't work before that I hope I can get working now: it won't install any printers. Says it need "Bonjour". Should I install that when I install Snow? It asks me if I want it, but it identifies it as for "PowerPC" applications...

Okay I am still working on the HDA for our board but had a few other things going on today.

I will post more tomorrow

@Pulsewidth you will need to run a disk utility repair permissions. It should show up after that. I did not edit my dsdt other than the RTC fix. I was able to get some audio out of the car in 32 and 64 bit modes. the problem I am having is just a low maximum volume.

I am working on 2 different methods for our audio one is to dsdt inf=ject the card and simply modify the pin config onthe AppleHDA.kext so we have nothing foreign The other is pinconfig the voodoo hda.

Dencraig what install method are you using? I install the R1000SL.kext from kexts.com and it works great and include bonjour.

Okay I am still working on the HDA for our board but had a few other things going on today.

I will post more tomorrow

@Pulsewidth you will need to run a disk utility repair permissions. It should show up after that. I did not edit my dsdt other than the RTC fix. I was able to get some audio out of the car in 32 and 64 bit modes. the problem I am having is just a low maximum volume.

I am working on 2 different methods for our audio one is to dsdt inf=ject the card and simply modify the pin config onthe AppleHDA.kext so we have nothing foreign The other is pinconfig the voodoo hda.

Dencraig what install method are you using? I install the R1000SL.kext from kexts.com and it works great and include bonjour.

Thanks: I downloaded it and will try it out once I'm running again, but my LAN was working okay and I bet it will again. Will installing this KEXT effect that? If so, I'll live without the printer!

Okay dencraig, I suggest using the kexts I listed only based on my experience. my ethernet did not work without it however with it I am able to print to a printer on a windows machine 3 routers deep.

Okay now for Audio. I am attaching my dsdt.aml file. I have patched it for basic fixes.

RTC - cmos reset fix

DTGP - required for all fixes applied through dsdt

Hdef - this will be your audio.

Step one download and install this dsdt.aml put it either in your root folder or the extra folder(mine is here)

Step two remove voodoohda if installed and reinstall AppleHDA if you removed it. Install the LegacyHDA attached into you Extra/Extensions folder(just drag and drop the run Kext utilty.)

Step three repair permissions

Step four go to system preferences and sound. then select internal speakers I know this may not be a accurate description but who cares if it works.

Please report back may require a restart. Please note both files needed are attached below.

dsdt.aml.zip

LegacyHDA_ALC888B.kext.zip

Okay dencraig, I suggest using the kexts I listed only based on my experience. my ethernet did not work without it however with it I am able to print to a printer on a windows machine 3 routers deep.

Okay now for Audio. I am attaching my dsdt.aml file. I have patched it for basic fixes.

RTC - cmos reset fix

Step one download and install this dsdt.aml put it either in your root folder or the extra folder(mine is here)

Step two remove voodoohda if installed and reinstall AppleHDA if you removed it. Install the LegacyHDA attached into you Extra/Extensions folder(just drag and drop the run Kext utilty.)

Step four go to system preferences and sound. then select internal speakers I know this may not be a accurate description but who cares if it works.

Please report back may require a restart. Please note both files needed are attached below.

Thanks: I had already done the patches to the DSDT (as per the guide) and my sound works fine. My internal NIC does also, so I'm willing to give up printing for now. I'm full up and running again (64 Bit). Thanks for the help!

I posted my dsdt as my patch is different then the one on the first page but it still requires the kext on the first page so I guess it really does not matter much

Thanks again: ran the R1000 utility and now have all my printers functioning in my Hack. Can't think of anything this thing is missing now: I'm a happy dude!

Okay quick question I am running great and soon to upgrade my processor but the 4gb of ram is sweet however my memory under system profiler does not report states there was an error getting info does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

Okay quick question I am running great and soon to upgrade my processor but the 4gb of ram is sweet however my memory under system profiler does not report states there was an error getting info does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

Mine also reports an error on the memory information page, but the front screen shows my 4GB... didn't alarm me. Should it?

mine shows it under about this mac before I go to system profiler but it does not seem to effect anything I was just curious. Dencraig and unaclocker what were your install methods? maybe the boot file is the difference or something else i used the myHack installer for chameleon

mine shows it under about this mac before I go to system profiler but it does not seem to effect anything I was just curious. Dencraig and unaclocker what were your install methods? maybe the boot file is the difference or something else i used the myHack installer for chameleon

I followed the instructions on the first page of this thread:

Edit: Don't use this guide anymore!

This guide is old & outdated. There are plenty of good guides better than this one.

New to the G41M? Here's my recommended steps to get up & running:

• Follow sk1nhd33t's G31M guide (it works great with the G41M) here: Installing Snow 10A432 on G31M-ES2L
  • Be sure to make your own DSDT file. It's key. The above guide has a guide on how to do that.
  • Come back here & follow the Audio section. And there's a LAN guide by Rex Luna here.

RTC - cmos reset fix

Thank You, Ridgeline! sorcerer.gif Sound is working fine now. Just could use some advice on the following:idea.gif

1. I can't get my front mic to work. I can work with rear mic though.

2. Line out doesn't switch automatically from rear to front on plugging in headphones. I can change it manually.

3. Sound volume is a little low except when I use the VLC player (any hints to what I'm doing wrong?)

You saved me loads of trouble!

Btw. I used EmpireEFI_1085.iso to install SL. No probs except for lack of sound which is now solved!

Your help was very much appreciated! That was awesome. star_smile.gif

I have not tried my mic on either port so I am not sure and I have full volume but I will take a look and get back to you. Did you make sure you do not have voodoohda or a hacked driver anywhere other than the ones found here? In order for it to work your dsdt must be right and the Legacy driver must be in extras you must make sure that if you loaded any other drivers they must be removed.

Quick note to anyone that is not already dual-booting W7 and SL on one HDD through Conti on the IRC channel pointed me to the following page and I am happy to say it worked like a charm.

Click here