• Please log in to reply
933 replies to this topic

ridgeline

ridgeline

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

i fixed all my sleep problems by reinstalling the OpenHaltRestart.kext back in E/E

That does not make any sense, There is added code into the dsdt I provided that takes care of the restart issue which is what the openhaltrestart.kext is for that really should not effect sleep at all. but if you ran kext utility afterwards to repair permission that might have been more the solution than the openhaltrestart.

nandor690

nandor690

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
My computer would go to sleep but not wake up, and when i used the power button it would completly restart. I added that kext and repaired permissions and now it will sleep but only wake with power button.
I repair permissions with kext utility everytime i do anything, so I dont think that there was a problem with permissions.

hawaii50

hawaii50

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

My computer would go to sleep but not wake up, and when i used the power button it would completly restart. I added that kext and repaired permissions and now it will sleep but only wake with power button.
I repair permissions with kext utility everytime i do anything, so I dont think that there was a problem with permissions.

There is a checkbox in the Energy Saver control panel for "Startup Automatically After Power Failure." Do you have it checked or unchecked?

gthompson

gthompson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

What graphics card do you have?

Nvidia geforce 8400 gs 512mb pcie.

hawaii50

hawaii50

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Nvidia geforce 8400 gs 512mb pcie.

I have the same graphics card for my 2nd hack. As far as I can tell, SL does not report QE/CI in "About this Mac" like Leopard did.

This post listed 3 ways to tell if QE/CI was enabled:
http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1493426

So i found some ways you can check to see if your card is fully accelerated.
Open Front Row. If it opens and is functional, QE/CI are enabled.
Open Dashboard and add a widget. If you see cool ripples, QE/CI are enabled.
Open Chess and play. If you can make more of a move, QE/CI are enabled.

I've tried all three tests on my 2nd hack and the graphics card handled them all.

Can anyone confirm that this means that QE/CI are enabled?

Thanks

h50

ridgeline

ridgeline

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
H50 thank you for stepping up man great knowledge base. Man I am back at my desk and was able to add the q9550 to my dsdt library it has been updated to my site. Just thought I would let everyone know.

And no SL does not report QE/CI like leopard did.

probably the easiest way is if you are using a windows keyboard hit the windows key and the escape key at the same time after a second it should load front row. just a KB shortcut also anyone using a windows keyboard the windows button performs all the same functions as the command button on an apple KB. for example windows/shift/a will open the applications folder in finder. replace the a with a u for utilities.

windows and z will undo and windows c copies and windows v pastes.

gthompson

gthompson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

I have the same graphics card for my 2nd hack. As far as I can tell, SL does not report QE/CI in "About this Mac" like Leopard did.

This post listed 3 ways to tell if QE/CI was enabled:
http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1493426

So i found some ways you can check to see if your card is fully accelerated.
Open Front Row. If it opens and is functional, QE/CI are enabled.
Open Dashboard and add a widget. If you see cool ripples, QE/CI are enabled.
Open Chess and play. If you can make more of a move, QE/CI are enabled.

I've tried all three tests on my 2nd hack and the graphics card handled them all.

Can anyone confirm that this means that QE/CI are enabled?

Thanks

Using those 3 steps, full acceleration is not enabled.

h50

hawaii50

hawaii50

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
gthompson:

It's hard to help you without knowing more about your hardware, whether it was a fresh install, and what happens when you try the three tests?

You posted a screenshot earlier that showed that your graphics card passed all the tests for all versions of OpenGL except for 3.0. I ran the same diagnostic on my hack and got the same result. However, the website for the diagnostic program you used says that OpenGL v3.0 is windows only so maybe its normal that our hacks don't pass this test.

What is the symptom that tells you that you don't have "full acceleration"?

h50

gthompson

gthompson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
I don't have the ripple that is common when adding a widget on dashboard. I also get a blackscreen using frontrow. Chess is super slow. And iMovie givese a message that say my card is not equiped with quartz extreme. Iused a fresh vanilla install of sl on a g41m-es2l, e6750 at 2.66ghz, 250gb sata HD for mac os, DVD/cd IDE disk drive, 4gb dual channel DDR2, geforce 8400 gs 512mb, wmp54 linksys wifi card, bluetooth. Hope pthis helps

hawaii50

hawaii50

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

I don't have the ripple that is common when adding a widget on dashboard. I also get a blackscreen using frontrow. Chess is super slow. And iMovie givese a message that say my card is not equiped with quartz extreme. Iused a fresh vanilla install of sl on a g41m-es2l, e6750 at 2.66ghz, 250gb sata HD for mac os, DVD/cd IDE disk drive, 4gb dual channel DDR2, geforce 8400 gs 512mb, wmp54 linksys wifi card, bluetooth. Hope pthis helps

Your hardware should be fine.

When you installed SL, did you first use Disk Utility to repartition the drive? I have found that if you had another bootloader installed on the HD, that you can't get rid of it unless you repartition and reformat the HD. Having remnants of an old bootloader on the boot HD can cause unpredictable problems.

ridgeline

ridgeline

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
what cable interface are you using VGA or DVI?

gthompson

gthompson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Your hardware should be fine.

When you installed SL, did you first use Disk Utility to repartition the drive? I have found that if you had another bootloader installed on the HD, that you can't get rid of it unless you repartition and reformat the HD. Having remnants of an old bootloader on the boot HD can cause unpredictable problems.

I reformatted my drive before install using disk utility, so I don't think it's a bootloader problem.
@ridgel1ne
I use VGA connector, is dvi better?

hawaii50

hawaii50

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

I reformatted my drive before install using disk utility, so I don't think it's a bootloader problem.
@ridgel1ne
I use VGA connector, is dvi better?

I just saw you posted in a previous message that you are using NVenabler64.kext. I don't use that. I just use Ridgeline's post-installer v2.3. I don't think v2.3 has an option to install NVenabler so you must have added this separately or you used an earlier version of Ridgeline's post-installer. If so, try removing NVenabler and running v2.3 of the post-installer again and see if it fixes your problem.

gthompson

gthompson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

I just saw you posted in a previous message that you are using NVenabler64.kext. I don't use that. I just use Ridgeline's post-installer v2.3. I don't think v2.3 has an option to install NVenabler so you must have added this separately or you used an earlier version of Ridgeline's post-installer. If so, try removing NVenabler and running v2.3 of the post-installer again and see if it fixes your problem.

I used ridglines updated installer 2.3 but my graphics was recognized as Ati and I couldn't change resolution so I installed nvenabler seperately from a previous installer.

hawaii50

hawaii50

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

I used ridglines updated installer 2.3 but my graphics was recognized as Ati and I couldn't change resolution so I installed nvenabler seperately from a previous installer.

This seems like the root of the problem. Perhaps Ridgeline can help you to figure out why your card is not properly recognized.

gthompson

gthompson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

This seems like the root of the problem. Perhaps Ridgeline can help you to figure out why your card is not properly recognized.

thanks for your help and insight h50! I'll figure it out.

ridgeline

ridgeline

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
okay yes I would try the DVI connection, first and secondly go to the Extras folder. and drag the com.apple.boot.plist to your desktop. then open it with text edit or something of that nature. secondly delete the lines that look like this.
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Save and drag this new plist back to your /Extras folder. it will ask you to replace and possibly authenticate. hit replace and input you password if asked. reboot

and post your results leaving the nvenabler in place

hawaii50

hawaii50

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

thanks for your help and insight h50! I'll figure it out.

You are most welcome. I'll be following the discussion to see what I can learn from your experience. Good luck!

gthompson

gthompson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

okay yes I would try the DVI connection, first and secondly go to the Extras folder. and drag the com.apple.boot.plist to your desktop. then open it with text edit or something of that nature. secondly delete the lines that look like this.
<string>Yes</string>

Save and drag this new plist back to your /Extras folder. it will ask you to replace and possibly authenticate. hit replace and input you password if asked. reboot

and post your results leaving the nvenabler in place

sorry it took so long, I had to get my hands on a dvi capable monitor. I did the steps ridgline prescribed and left nvenabler in place, but I still don't get QE capability.

Gatzs

Gatzs

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
>>Some consideration<<
The EFI partition isn't visible from MacOS then is not erasable. You will need to use DISKPART to delete it before you do a fresh install. I don't know if there is another method.

Only 1 injector must use at a time.
NVenabler is an injector, like NVinject, NVDarwin. Well EfiString are an injector. Also PC-EFI 10.5 combined with 2 strings (method 1) above is an injector.

There are at least 3 methods to activate QE/CI on nVidia cards in SL:
1) Add to com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra:
<string>Yes</string> ==> Reboot
a- If that doesn't work, check if the file info.plist of NVDAResman.kext & NVDANV50Hal.kext (/S/L/E) is present the DeviceID+Vendor (find in System Profiler) of your VGA. After adding YourID install kexts with KextHelper and reboot. Example:
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0427 == add ==> 0x042710de

2) Put NVenabler.kext in /E/E or /S/L/E and repair permission with KextUtility
a- same, reboot
b- add the same ID to info.plist of NVenabler and repair permission with KextUtility, reboot

3) Add EfiString (OSXTool) to com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra:
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>paste-here-YOUR-Efi-String<string>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy