[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

I've got a bit of a problem and I need some advice.

After moving my tower to my new apartment today, it began to overheat tremendously. Essentially if I do anything it will jump up 10 to 30 degrees. This usually doesn't occur. Before moving it may jump up like 4 degrees and only get to around 50 or so with very heavy loads of processing.

I'm beginning to think my CPU may need to be reseated, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas for resolving this.

I've got a bit of a problem and I need some advice.

After moving my tower to my new apartment today, it began to overheat tremendously. Essentially if I do anything it will jump up 10 to 30 degrees. This usually doesn't occur. Before moving it may jump up like 4 degrees and only get to around 50 or so with very heavy loads of processing.

I'm beginning to think my CPU may need to be reseated, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas for resolving this.

I'd reseat the heatsink, but I have plenty of Arctic Silver lying around. If you don't have that, I'd check these three things:

1. Is the CPU fan still spinning? You could have bumped a wire or something
  2. Is the heatsink/fan secure to the motherboard, or does it move slightly if you rock it? ANY movement at all indicates it's not on the CPU correctly
  3. If 1 and 2 pass, work up the CPU some and physically feel the heatsink. If it's warm/hot, then heat is being transferred from the CPU, and your problem isn't between the CPU and heatsink (reseating won't help). If it's cold & your CPU is reading hot, then reseating will likely help.

If #2 or #3 are the case and you do need to reseat, I highly recommend getting some more thermal grease. I use Arctic Silver 5. The good news is you can use your old setup until you get a shipment of new thermal grease (I mean, reseat it without changing thermal grease first). The problem you'll face by reusing your old coating is some air bubbles, which will heat up the CPU. Now, I'm a big believer that the CPU will protect itself & clock down if it's overheating - though it's debatable by many. So go into the BIOS and make sure you have the Thermal Sensor set (I forget what it's called, but it reduces your CPU if it starts overheating) & the PC Health thing checked to shutdown your computer at 70 or 80 degrees C.

And be sure to read documents on how to apply Arctic Silver ;) I was using the "spread" technique for many years - changing to the "horizontal line" dropped my temps by 7*!

HI iRobie,

Thanks so much for your tutorial. I think it's one of the best OSX86 tutorial, not only because it allowed me to turn my wife's G41M-ES2L based PC into a perfect Hackintosh, but also because you link to other great tutorials around the web, and I appreciated it a lot. Your links saved me a lot of time!

I'd reseat the heatsink, but I have plenty of Arctic Silver lying around. If you don't have that, I'd check these three things:

1. Is the CPU fan still spinning? You could have bumped a wire or something
  2. Is the heatsink/fan secure to the motherboard, or does it move slightly if you rock it? ANY movement at all indicates it's not on the CPU correctly
  3. If 1 and 2 pass, work up the CPU some and physically feel the heatsink. If it's warm/hot, then heat is being transferred from the CPU, and your problem isn't between the CPU and heatsink (reseating won't help). If it's cold & your CPU is reading hot, then reseating will likely help.

If #2 or #3 are the case and you do need to reseat, I highly recommend getting some more thermal grease. I use Arctic Silver 5. The good news is you can use your old setup until you get a shipment of new thermal grease (I mean, reseat it without changing thermal grease first). The problem you'll face by reusing your old coating is some air bubbles, which will heat up the CPU. Now, I'm a big believer that the CPU will protect itself & clock down if it's overheating - though it's debatable by many. So go into the BIOS and make sure you have the Thermal Sensor set (I forget what it's called, but it reduces your CPU if it starts overheating) & the PC Health thing checked to shutdown your computer at 70 or 80 degrees C.

And be sure to read documents on how to apply Arctic Silver :) I was using the "spread" technique for many years - changing to the "horizontal line" dropped my temps by 7*!

Fan was still working fine (first thing I checked). I turned the fan off and checked the heatsink, it was cold to the touch. Guess I found the problem. I'm going to reapply some paste and try again. Thanks iRobie!

EDIT: Added some paste to the heatsink and now it runs about 3 degrees cooler than before this whole problem started (39º C)!!

Is anyone using a graphics card with hdmi?

I'm using a GeForce 9600 GT with HDMI + DVI on this board. It's working great except that some games when running in fullscreen requires you to use the hdmi port (seems to be considered main port on my card). There is probably a fix for this and otherwise I haven't had any problems.

Hi everyone,

some news from me:

- got a firewire pci card working great straight out of the box

- found a ide to sata adapter (gives 2 satas out of one ide) which works nice to add 2 more sata ports, of course limited to IDE speed. again no install needed

- tried another graphic card, ati 4980 vapor-x 1gb pci-e , works great with Zeus software from cindori (from macrumors forum), installs the exotic qe+ci and natit injector to mimic a mac efi.

will try to build a second ihac on an Asus P5E which should be a bit more complicated than straightforward gigabyte here, but some stuff should be running from the start (at least ethernet i hope). if someone knows about an all-in-one installer for that mobo, let me know

tks

cybercap nice job, I am getting ready to build a second hac but have not decided on board yet but just got a new case for $20 shipped from Newegg, and pretty much have everything laying around other than a video card and a motherboard, they have a new G41M combo that looks nice from Gigabyte, it allows DDR3 or DDR2 only limitation is if you wanna go 8GB ram you have to use the DDR2. It also changed up the sound to a Via chip and a slightly different lan chip still realtek though.

For anyone having more sleep troubles, my semi-fresh build just started experiencing them too. Insomnia.

After some research & experimentation, I found out the Photoshop plugins by OnOne software can cause this problem. See thread here to see the same symptoms on an official Mac Pro.

It also provides another good troubleshooting technique: clear items from /Library/StartupItems and see if that helps sleep issues.

After deleting that file, I'm sure OnOne won't work anymore but my computer does sleep.

For anyone having more sleep troubles, my semi-fresh build just started experiencing them too. Insomnia.

After some research & experimentation, I found out the Photoshop plugins by OnOne software can cause this problem. See thread here to see the same symptoms on an official Mac Pro.

It also provides another good troubleshooting technique: clear items from /Library/StartupItems and see if that helps sleep issues.

After deleting that file, I'm sure OnOne won't work anymore but my computer does sleep.

I had the same problem when I try to put the hackintosh to sleep, but the program causing the problem was "Temperature Monitor" took it off and problem was solve.

Guys,

Installed ridgel1ne after updating to 10.6.4 then bootup runs good with apple logo and such, which after my screen goes no display. Im using Nvidia 9800 GT thru hdmi. Still able to boot into SL using empire EFI tho.

Any thoughts??

G41M-ES2L

Core 2 Duo E7500

4 GB DDR2

NVidia GeForce 9800 GT

Installed ridgel1ne after updating to 10.6.4 then bootup runs good with apple logo and such, which after my screen goes no display. Im using Nvidia 9800 GT thru hdmi. Still able to boot into SL using empire EFI tho.

NVidia GeForce 9800 GT

Define no screen.

The display goes into power save mode?

The display is just black but acts like it's getting a signal?

Tried booting into safe mode?

If you boot verbose, do you see the text scrolling by? What does it say in regards to the video card?

Diehell:

I had the same problem when I connected through the HDMI port. I fixed it with a cable that had a DVI connector at one end and an HDMI connector on the other. There's something about the HDMI port on the graphics cards that doesn't work past 10.6.0. If you connect through DVI or VGA, it ought to work.

h50

Ridgel1ne:

I would greatly appreciate an edited DSDT for my Core 2 Quad 9300.

Here are my system specs:

Core 2 Quad 9300

G41M-ES2L

4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC6400

9500GT 1GB

After trying to dual boot Windows 7 and OSX on the same drive, and failing after each of my 4 or 5 attempts, I decided to just run them on separate drives to make my life simpler. In any case, I have my set up running now with your post installer and then I installed the HDA driver from your site and everything is working correctly now, and booting up from the disk without a stutter. Sleep will be a luxury, and it is not something I NEED, but it would be a nice feature to have.

Thanks in advance.

post-645803-1281892515_thumb.png

you can always make the hac sleep using pleasesleep which is a great software with good options (like no sleep if you're downloading). i didn't succeed in making my hac sleep the normal way but pleasesleep did the job very well

Hey guys sorry I have been out of touch my job has been crazy busy but I will be around a little more now .

@rolandp I emailed you the corrected dsdt and smbios for your quad core.

iRobie, what onOne plugin were you using? I am running CS5 with Fractals and have no issue. I am using an old version of Fractals though like v5 iThink.

@ Maldon Our restart has already been fixed within the dsdt we have a perfect working dsdt for this board already just needs processor info modded.

Okay and just in case any of you have wondered about Mac OS X Server

Server.jpg

@ Maldon Our restart has already been fixed within the dsdt we have a perfect working dsdt for this board already just needs processor info modded.

Okay and just in case any of you have wondered about Mac OS X Server

Server.jpg

You don't need processor information in dsdt anymore with Chameleon rc5, it patches your dsdt with correct P-states and C-states automatically. All you need to do is to remove processor information from dsdt and add these lines to com.apple.Booot.plist :

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Well I guess I should have read about the rc5 before blasting off about the dsdt so I apologize @maldon. What about the restart code from you mm67 that I implemented in the dsdt does that need to be removed? This will free my time up.

Well I guess I should have read about the rc5 before blasting off about the dsdt so I apologize @maldon. What about the restart code from you mm67 that I implemented in the dsdt does that need to be removed? This will free my time up.

Restart is handled by Chameleon, my fix was about Gigabyte shutdown and that still needs to be in dsdt.

does it work natively or did you need a kext for the hdmi port on that graphics card?

No special kext, the only thing that I did to get the card working (including the HDMI) was setting GraphicsEnabler to yes.

hi folks around here !

glad to see you again

just in case someone has an answer for something i've been looking up for a while now:

my pci-e airport card (which is well detected and works great, no kext, no nothing) has the sleep/wake problem.

when the hac wakes up from sleep the airport is broken, empty triangle, no way to switch it on again until reboot

tried to modify network preferences, set manual ip, nothing works. so if anybody has found the sacred graal on this plz let me know

HELP!

I had this almost done. I was able to boot into SL 10.6.4 on the target Hard Drive using the USB memory stick as a boot loader. I got to the step where I installed Ridgline's post installer and it killed the install. The target hard drive boots, and goes through the apple screen with the spinning circle, goes briefly through a black screen, but ends up hung on a blue screen at the end.

Any way to fix this?

I have:

G31M-ES2L rev. 2.3

E5300

EVGA7600GT

My boot drive is an 250GB IDE drive.