[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

Yeh I did and everytime I run it nothing is listed under sound in system preferences.

I find it odd that Ridgeline's post-installer will complete but you get a KP on restart.

2 questions?

Is anything else connected to the hack? USB devices? Other HDD? IDE HDD? Wireless Keyboard? PCI Card? BlueTooth Dongle?

Did you start with a freshly formated and repartitioned SATA HDD?

I find it odd that Ridgeline's post-installer will complete but you get a KP on restart.

2 questions?

Is anything else connected to the hack? USB devices? Other HDD? IDE HDD? Wireless Keyboard? PCI Card? BlueTooth Dongle?

Did you start with a freshly formated and repartitioned SATA HDD?

Nothing else is connected. The myhack way works, but ridgleine's installer KP everytime and the audio file he hosts installs but doesn't list any devices still.

Anything wrong with using myhack only? Need to check cpu temps...

Nothing else is connected. The myhack way works, but ridgleine's installer KP everytime and the audio file he hosts installs but doesn't list any devices still.

ok after a bit more reading I think audio doesnt work because my HDEF section of my DSDT,aml file in /Extra isn't correct.

I found a DSDT editor programme but I cannot seem to save the outcome as a DSDT.aml file.

ok after a bit more reading I think audio doesnt work because my HDEF section of my DSDT,aml file in /Extra isn't correct.

I found a DSDT editor programme but I cannot seem to save the outcome as a DSDT.aml file.

When you ran Ridgeline's installer did you choose 32 bit or 64 bit? I think MyHack defaults to 32 bit. The default BIOS settings are for 32 bit. So if you choose Ridgeline's 64 bit option and did not make any changes to the BIOS, that is most likely the problem. One quick way to test is to install Ridgeline again and choose 32 bit and see if it works.

MyHack will work, but it is designed to work on a broad range of boards. Ridgeline's DSDTs are customized for this board and your CPU so more things just work.

When you ran Ridgeline's installer did you choose 32 bit or 64 bit? I think MyHack defaults to 32 bit. The default BIOS settings are for 32 bit. So if you choose Ridgeline's 64 bit option and did not make any changes to the BIOS, that is most likely the problem. One quick way to test is to install Ridgeline again and choose 32 bit and see if it works.

MyHack will work, but it is designed to work on a broad range of boards. Ridgeline's DSDTs are customized for this board and your CPU so more things just work.

will i have to remort to try this or just install over myhack?

I would try installing over myHack first. If you get a KP, then we'll go from there.

installed 32-bit over myhack and it booted up fine.

What the Dickens is going on?

what the fudge!!! Sound devices have popped now!!!

installed 32-bit over myhack and it booted up fine.

What the Dickens is going on?

what the fudge!!! Sound devices have popped now!!!

great to hear it. Ridgeline can tell you what you need to change in the BIOS to get 64 bit working. This is probably worth iRobie mentioning in the first post.

At least you are running on 32 bit, with your graphics card, ethernet, sound, and autosleep working?

h50

great to hear it. Ridgeline can tell you what you need to change in the BIOS to get 64 bit working. This is probably worth iRobie mentioning in the first post.

At least you are running on 32 bit, with your graphics card, ethernet, sound, and autosleep working?

h50

Well it's 32-bit HPET in BIOS, but OSX has picked up my 4GB ram and found the right 800mhz, it was 667mhz under myhack.

I think I set it to 64-bit hept in bios on a couple of attempts.

Maybe we could (I have time if someone can check it first?) to do a more detailed guide.... it's fresh in my mind, would be good to highlight bios screen settings.

Shall I plug my spdif apdater in and see if it works?

EDIT:

How do I tell it to sleep?

Well it's 32-bit HPET in BIOS, but OSX has picked up my 4GB ram and found the right 800mhz, it was 667mhz under myhack.

I think I set it to 64-bit hept in bios on a couple of attempts.

Maybe we could (I have time if someone can check it first?) to do a more detailed guide.... it's fresh in my mind, would be good to highlight bios screen settings.

Shall I plug my spdif apdater in and see if it works?

EDIT:

How do I tell it to sleep?

Be sure to go to the energy saver control panel and check the box to restart after power failure. Then you can set the computer to sleep after 1 minute and see if it does.

Then from the finder under the apple menu you can choose Sleep. If that sleeps the computer great. Then try jiggling the mouse. If that wakes the computer great.

Then try the spdif adapter. I'm curious to know if that works.

And, yes, while its fresh in your mind, make note of what you found confusing so we can make the instructions clearer for the next person.

EDIT: Sleep may not work if you are using the generic DSDT. Get ridgeline's DSDT for your CPU.

Be sure to go to the energy saver control panel and check the box to restart after power failure. Then you can set the computer to sleep after 1 minute and see if it does.

Then from the finder under the apple menu you can choose Sleep. If that sleeps the computer great. Then try jiggling the mouse. If that wakes the computer great.

Then try the spdif adapter. I'm curious to know if that works.

And, yes, while its fresh in your mind, make note of what you found confusing so we can make the instructions clearer for the next person.

EDIT: Sleep may not work if you are using the generic DSDT. Get ridgeline's DSDT for your CPU.

sleep works!

SPDIF works!

I installed the bracket, set it to digital out, then rebooted, went to youtube and could hear!

EDIT: only one issue remains, the 8600GT is identified under Graphics enabled of myhack. However it only seems to find 256MB of ram when im 99% sure its 512mb.

As I say not really much of issue, but maybe an issue when I try steam tonight, although to be fair the 8600GT is poo for games in windows anyway ;)

sleep works!

SPDIF works!

I installed the bracket, set it to digital out, then rebooted, went to youtube and could hear!

Congratulations!

If you want to run in 64bit mode, there may be more BIOS settings to change besides HPET. Perhaps Ridgeline or iRobie can chime in.

Congratulations!

If you want to run in 64bit mode, there may be more BIOS settings to change besides HPET. Perhaps Ridgeline or iRobie can chime in.

yeh glad I went for the E6500 in the end, its fairly zippy.

Glad sound is working now means I won't have to get a USB card!

Congratulations!

I think I only changed the HPET, and disabled unused components. Floppy Drive in particular will slow down Windows install to a crawl. If there are more changes I'll edit the first page. I added a BIOS section but it's pretty bare since I haven't changed anything in a few months.

I wouldn't recommend installing MyHack to your SATA drive then ridgeline's on top of that. That's asking for trouble! I'm glad you got it working though :D Use MyHack to make a USB bootable stick or drive, then install Ridgeline to your main HDD.

Any of you guys have a firewire card in your machine? if yes what brand and is it working good?

I've had success with two different 400 firewire cards. I went PCI first, but it was too large with my video card's massive heatsink & fan. This PCI card worked: SYBA PCI to Firewire

PCI-E card sits just fine about the vid card. This is the one I have: SYBA 2 Ports PCI-E IEEE 1394A

For CPU temps, there are a number of products that work. iStat menu is one that I'm using, and there's one called Temperature Monitor. One note: this board has a more aggressive cooling program than others I'm using (with F8 firmware). That is, when the CPU reads at 22*C it runs the fan at it's lowest setting (30%). Above that and the board runs on a scaled setting, up to 66*C (100% fanspeed). I'm investigating a way to raise the initial temperature because other boards have higher settings, meaning the fans will be quieter during idle. Drives me nuts how loud this is by default!

And - iStat will only read the core temperatures, versus the "CPU temp" that the bios reads. In Windows there are programs that read both - my CPU reads 25* "CPU temp" and 41/39* "Core" temps. So if you see something high in iStat, don't worry. Check it in the bios, or boot into Windows to really check it.

For CPU temps, there are a number of products that work. iStat menu is one that I'm using, and there's one called Temperature Monitor. One note: this board has a more aggressive cooling program than others I'm using (with F8 firmware). That is, when the CPU reads at 22*C it runs the fan at it's lowest setting (30%). Above that and the board runs on a scaled setting, up to 66*C (100% fanspeed). I'm investigating a way to raise the initial temperature because other boards have higher settings, meaning the fans will be quieter during idle. Drives me nuts how loud this is by default!

And - iStat will only read the core temperatures, versus the "CPU temp" that the bios reads. In Windows there are programs that read both - my CPU reads 25* "CPU temp" and 41/39* "Core" temps. So if you see something high in iStat, don't worry. Check it in the bios, or boot into Windows to really check it.

You can get both fan control and reading of all temp sensors by using a newer experimental version of FakeSMC from here : http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206

post-375259-1279776502_thumb.png

You can get both fan control and reading of all temp sensors by using a newer experimental version of FakeSMC from here : http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1206

post-375259-1279776502_thumb.png

Great! I had no idea this existed!

To use this:

1. Download FakeSMC from the link provided.

2. Right-click FakeSMC, show package contents. Go into plugins. Then delete X3100 plugin.

3. Delete fakesmc.kext from /Extra/Extensions

4. Install this fakesmc with Kext Utility (I installed via terminal, but Kext Utility puts it in /S/L/E and *should* work)

I can't control the fans, but it reads them and reads CPU better. Thanks!

Great! I had no idea this existed!

To use this:

1. Download FakeSMC from the link provided.

2. Right-click FakeSMC, show package contents. Go into plugins. Then delete X3100 plugin.

3. Delete fakesmc.kext from /Extra/Extensions

4. Install this fakesmc with Kext Utility (I installed via terminal, but Kext Utility puts it in /S/L/E and *should* work)

I can't control the fans, but it reads them and reads CPU better. Thanks!

For fan control you need to edit SuperIO plugin's info.plist. On my Gigabyte boards both 4-pin fan headers can be controlled by this.

I think I only changed the HPET, and disabled unused components. Floppy Drive in particular will slow down Windows install to a crawl. If there are more changes I'll edit the first page. I added a BIOS section but it's pretty bare since I haven't changed anything in a few months.

I wouldn't recommend installing MyHack to your SATA drive then ridgeline's on top of that. That's asking for trouble! I'm glad you got it working though :blink: Use MyHack to make a USB bootable stick or drive, then install Ridgeline to your main HDD.

I've had success with two different 400 firewire cards. I went PCI first, but it was too large with my video card's massive heatsink & fan. This PCI card worked: SYBA PCI to Firewire

PCI-E card sits just fine about the vid card. This is the one I have: SYBA 2 Ports PCI-E IEEE 1394A

I'm betting it was you who left the review in newegg that's funny....I'm getting that one, I need it for all the video transferring and editing for school.

For fan control you need to edit SuperIO plugin's info.plist. On my Gigabyte boards both 4-pin fan headers can be controlled by this.

Can you upload your FakeSMC file? I've tried a lot of different combinations... latest rev w/ SuperIO, w/ SMCITEController, rev218, rev190. Finally with rev171 & Info.plist editing on SuperIO I can set fan speed in iStat, but it does nothing.

And yes, in my various attempts I did change temps in SuperIO :) The console messages always said the same - setting starting temp at 20, even if I changed that to 40 or something else.

You're not on the G41M, are you?

Has anyone gotten fan control working with the G41M? This FakeSMC allows you to see CPU temps, fan speeds, and GPU temps so it's a great addition! I'm just getting greedy :-D Win7 averages about 1000rpms (basically silent) while OSX averages ~1450rpms on my Arctic Freezer CPU fan, and I'm trying to find out why.

Can you upload your FakeSMC file? I've tried a lot of different combinations... latest rev w/ SuperIO, w/ SMCITEController, rev218, rev190. Finally with rev171 & Info.plist editing on SuperIO I can set fan speed in iStat, but it does nothing.

And yes, in my various attempts I did change temps in SuperIO :) The console messages always said the same - setting starting temp at 20, even if I changed that to 40 or something else.

You're not on the G41M, are you?

Has anyone gotten fan control working with the G41M? This FakeSMC allows you to see CPU temps, fan speeds, and GPU temps so it's a great addition! I'm just getting greedy :-D Win7 averages about 1000rpms (basically silent) while OSX averages ~1450rpms on my Arctic Freezer CPU fan, and I'm trying to find out why.

No, I don't have the same board, but on this case that doesn't matter. Our boards have same SuperIO chip and that's enough in this case. SuperIO chip has 3 PWM outputs so you need to first figure where fan headers are connected. My EP45-UD3 for example has CPU_FAN connected to output 2 and SYS_FAN2 to output 1, output 0 is not connected at all. This is how I control SYS_FAN2 header:

<key>Fan1</key>
			<dict>
				<key>Force Detection</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>Bottom</string>
				<key>Software Fan Control</key>
				<dict>
					<key>Enabled</key>
					<true/>
					<key>High Temperature, ℃</key>
					<integer>50</integer>
					<key>High Throttle, %</key>
					<integer>100</integer>
					<key>Start Temperature, ℃</key>
					<integer>30</integer>
					<key>Start Throttle, %</key>
					<integer>50</integer>
					<key>Temperature Source</key>
					<string>System</string>
				</dict>
			</dict>

And Software Fan Control section looks like this:

<key>Software Fan Control</key>
			<dict>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Voltage Control</key>
				<false/>
			</dict>

That's a 4-pin PWM controlled fan that is controlled by System temperature, other option would be to use Processor as temperature source. With these settings fan runs on 50 % speed at 30 C and accelerates to 100 % if System temperature reaches 50 C.

No, I don't have the same board, but on this case that doesn't matter. Our boards have same SuperIO chip and that's enough in this case. SuperIO chip has 3 PWM outputs so you need to first figure where fan headers are connected. My EP45-UD3 for example has CPU_FAN connected to output 2 and SYS_FAN2 to output 1, output 0 is not connected at all. This is how I control SYS_FAN2 header:

Ah, thanks! The Fan2 thing is kind of strange. Fan0 is the one with the RPM monitor, but Fan2 is the one with the temp controls. Getting rid of one breaks the system I have... very strange. And I don't know if I saw the end section either, thanks for pointing that out!

On this board, the SYS_FAN isn't a PWM fan. I tried plugging in a fan there & controlling it with software but wasn't too successful. Could be because I called it SYS_FAN (instead of SYS_FAN2), or because I had Voltage = FALSE like you suggested, which to me indicates a 3 pin fan wouldn't work. Who knows? But I have it plugged into a fan controller anyway, so I have very little incentive to fix it.

For anyone else that wants to slow down or speed up there CPU fan, I've attached three FakeSMCs in this archive:

FakeSMC-reallyslowfan: 25*/5% fan, 70*/100% fan

FakeSMC-slowfan: 25*/5% fan, 60*/100% fan

FakeSMC-fastfan: 30*/50% fan, 50*/100* fan

So, if you want to overclock and want to keep low temps, use fast fan. If you have a processor with a TCore of 64 but want as quiet as you can, go for slowfan. And if you have a higher Tcore processor and want quiet, use reallyslowfan.

To use any, first delete FakeSMC.kext from /Extra/Extensions. Then use Kext Utility to install whatever kext you want, after unzipping of course :)

And if you want to set temps yourself, take any of the FakeSMC files, and find: FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/FakeSMCSuperIO.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Edit that file. Change "Fan2" settings to match your needs. Then run Kext Utility again & reboot.

FakeSMC_fanspeeds.zip

On this board, the SYS_FAN isn't a PWM fan. I tried plugging in a fan there & controlling it with software but wasn't too successful. Could be because I called it SYS_FAN (instead of SYS_FAN2), or because I had Voltage = FALSE like you suggested, which to me indicates a 3 pin fan wouldn't work. Who knows? But I have it plugged into a fan controller anyway, so I have very little incentive to fix it.

If you use 4-pin PWM fans then you set Voltage control disabled, with 3-pin fans you need to enable Voltage control.

If you use 4-pin PWM fans then you set Voltage control disabled, with 3-pin fans you need to enable Voltage control.

That's exactly what I was thinking. This board has a 4-pin CPU Fan & a 3-pin Sys fan. If the SuperIO can't mix and match, it can only control one at a time.

That's exactly what I was thinking. This board has a 4-pin CPU Fan & a 3-pin Sys fan. If the SuperIO can't mix and match, it can only control one at a time.

I don't think that you can control the 3-pin header, at least on my board that is not possible. I have 2 3-pin headers and 2 4-pin headers and only 4-pin ones can be controlled. If you want to control more than one fan then this is a great solution : http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=pro...;model=AK-CB002