[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

It might be the USB Legacy devices switch that allows for this. But that is enabled with optimized settings, so unless you disabled that I'm stumped. Mine works great. Are you on a wireless keyboard?

Yes, I am using a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.

Had to revert back to the F6 bios to fix the issue. I am dual booting so need the keyboard to work in the chameleon boot screen. Tried F7 and same as F8, no keyboard.

Another question, what program are you guys using to monitor your temps? Currently using Voodoo Monitor but was wondering if there was anything better.

I bought the SL disk as an addition to the 10.5DVD that came with the machine. Can I not use the SL disk I bought online?
Depends. The SL disk you bought online, is it a restore disk (AKA grey label) disk that came with a Mac? If so, then no, you can't use it unless you modify the image with a working Mac/hack (which is beyond the scope of this forum subject).

Grey label install/restore disks are designed to work only on the machine series they shipped with. For example, my ex has a MacBook Pro. I can't use her install disks to install on any other machine besides a MacBook Pro, the installer will refuse to run on anything but MacBook Pros.

iRobie:

I like the last edits you made to the first post. I think letting people know which graphics cards and DVD drives work well with this MB is a good way to help others quickly obtain the same excellent results we've gotten. For your graphics card paragraph, I can report that 8400 GS and 9500 GT both work without any extra fiddling. You may also want to add that this board runs perfectly in 64 bit mode as well as 32 bit as long as you have at least an 8400 gfx card.

If you combine this MB with the right DVD and graphics card, you pretty much have a perfectly working hackintosh following your mini-guide.

The next time Fry's offers this MB in a combo deal, I'm going to be all over it.

h50

Depends. The SL disk you bought online, is it a restore disk (AKA grey label) disk that came with a Mac? If so, then no, you can't use it unless you modify the image with a working Mac/hack (which is beyond the scope of this forum subject).

Grey label install/restore disks are designed to work only on the machine series they shipped with. For example, my ex has a MacBook Pro. I can't use her install disks to install on any other machine besides a MacBook Pro, the installer will refuse to run on anything but MacBook Pros.

I got a macbook in 2007 or early 08, the last white one. It came with 10.5 DVD. When SL came out I ordered a new DVD from apple. How on earth would they know what mac I have?

EmpireEFI boot disc download link is down!

Anyone got another link?

a little bit confused...

Using that my hack way. I'm now putting my DVD onto the USB HDD.

Do I not add the kexts like it goes onto say?

As I assume thats the ridgelines install is for?

You're correct. Here are the basic steps.

1. Use Disk Utility to create a disk image of your snow leopard install disk.

2. Restore the SL disk image to a USB HDD

3. Run myHack and install it on the USB HDD

4. Copy ridgeline's post installer, and the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.pkg to the USB HDD. Link: http://www.ridgel1ne.com/OSX86/Downloads.html

5. Copy 10.6.4 combo update to USB HDD

6. Reboot your computer and press F12 during startup to select the USB HDD as the boot drive

7. When the SL installer comes up, use disk utility to repartition your SATA HDD and reformat as GUID.

8. Install SL onto your SATA HDD.

9. After SL is installed, computer will reboot. Press F12 during startup and boot from the USB HDD.

10. When the myHack progress bar comes up, press any key and select the SATA HDD to start up.

11. Run Ridgelines' post installer on your SATA HDD -- choose 32 or 64 bit, select the DSDT for your CPU, and I think there is a choice for graphics enabler which I checked.

12. Reboot and press F12 this time select your SATA HDD as the boot drive

13. Check to make sure your graphics card, audio and autosleep work. You need to go to the energy saver preference panel to check the box to restart after power failure to get sleep to work. If graphics enabler didn't recognize your graphics card, you will have to do some fiddling. Your 8600 GT should work fine.

14. Run 10.6.4 combo update

15. Recheck graphics, audio, and autosleep

16. You will need to run the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.pkg from ridgeline to get your sound working.

Should take about an hour.

h50

ok, all installed and now downloading 10.6.4.

I have a gigabyte spdif adapter, will the ridgeline installer detect this and allow me to use spdif and the standard mic in for my microphone?

I did a bit of googling on the gigabyte adapter and i think it works by default. I guess I can tes it now :P

ok, I will have to wait until 10.6.4 is installed. There is no audio driver by default. I assume thats what ridline installer addresses?

It should, in theory work once it's installed.

ok, all installed and now downloading 10.6.4.

I have a gigabyte spdif adapter, will the ridgeline installer detect this and allow me to use spdif and the standard mic in for my microphone?

I did a bit of googling on the gigabyte adapter and i think it works by default. I guess I can tes it now :(

ok, I will have to wait until 10.6.4 is installed. There is no audio driver by default. I assume thats what ridline installer addresses?

It should, in theory work once it's installed.

I don't use the spdif but I would love to know if it works. The standard mic in on the back of the board works for me. I'm not sure about the front panel mic in. Ridgeline's 10.6.2 AppleHDA.pkg is what you need to get your sound inputs and outputs working in 10.6.4.

h50

I got a macbook in 2007 or early 08, the last white one. It came with 10.5 DVD. When SL came out I ordered a new DVD from apple. How on earth would they know what mac I have?
I think you just answered your own question. :(

Aside from that, there are plenty of ways to identify the exact model of Mac, just search for them using your search engine of choice. Something like "identify mac" will turn up lots of hits.

But that is irrelevant to the original question/comment. If the disks you ordered online are the grey labeled ones, you can't use it on anything but the model of Mac it shipped with. If there is a way around that, it's beyond the scope of this particular thread in the forum, which is getting the perfect hack using the G41M-ES2L motherboard as a base.

yeh will keep you informed. 2/3 way through downloading 10.6.4

Then going to install ridgeline, then investigate how to get this 8600GT working fully, then audio, then SPDIF adapter. :(

Looks like I could have a working mac for £80 lol

im getting a "CPU1 has no HEPT assigned to it"

I think its says something about com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

This is with an E6500 using the generic DST thingy as I dont now how to install the specific E6500 DST file outside the installer.

im getting a "CPU1 has no HEPT assigned to it"

I think its says something about com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

This is with an E6500 using the generic DST thingy as I dont now how to install the specific E6500 DST file outside the installer.

Boot up from your USB HDD and download the DSDT for the E6500 from www.ridgel1ne.com and drop it into your /Extra folder on your SATA HDD. Use Disk Utility to repair permissions and reboot.

+1 to what he said ^ :D

Thanks guys for being so kind to me!

Your the reason I picked this board, your still posting after nearly a year :D

Did what you two said and I'm back!

So do i install the ridgeline install but DO NOT tick anything to do with DSDT?

Then NVKush for my 8600GT, then the sound thingy?

:thumbsdown_anim: Used your installer, but didnt tick anything from DSDT and I'm getting the same panic and error again.

Any ideas? it's complaining about com.apple.driver.CPUManagement and CPU1 has no HPET assigned.

Is there anyway to install the bootloader on it's own if this issue cannot be fixed for me?

I could manually install the E6500 DSDT, bootloader, and sound.

What else does the installer fix?

:thumbsdown_anim: Used your installer, but didnt tick anything from DSDT and I'm getting the same panic and error again.

Any ideas? it's complaining about com.apple.driver.CPUManagement and CPU1 has no HPET assigned.

Is there anyway to install the bootloader on it's own if this issue cannot be fixed for me?

I could manually install the E6500 DSDT, bootloader, and sound.

What else does the installer fix?

Does ridgeline's installer complete or do you get an error?

I would select graphics enabler instead of NVKush

If the E6500 DSDT is not a choice in ridgeline's installer then choose the generic DSDT. This should get you booted up from your SATA HDD.

Does ridgeline's installer complete or do you get an error?

I would select graphics enabler instead of NVKush

If the E6500 DSDT is not a choice in ridgeline's installer then choose the generic DSDT. This should get you booted up from your SATA HDD.

It completes, I see no option for a "graphics enabler"... is 2.3 the right one?

Seems odd that I'm the only one getting kernal panics.

I'm on bios F6 and have a rev 1.1 mainboard.

It completes, I see no option for a "graphics enabler"... is 2.3 the right one?

Seems odd that I'm the only one getting kernal panics.

I'm on bios F6 and have a rev 1.1 mainboard.

Found this on myHack site:

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext – this extension is required until you have built a proper dsdt for your system. Without this or the dsdt your system will not boot (kernel panic). IMPORTANT NOTE: It is suggested that everyone use this kext for now even if your system runs fine without it. There is an unresolved issue with the way AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext handles HPET on non-apple hardware that causes the CPU to run much hotter than normal.

This is the issue im facing. How do I install this kext?

Found this on myHack site:

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext – this extension is required until you have built a proper dsdt for your system. Without this or the dsdt your system will not boot (kernel panic). IMPORTANT NOTE: It is suggested that everyone use this kext for now even if your system runs fine without it. There is an unresolved issue with the way AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext handles HPET on non-apple hardware that causes the CPU to run much hotter than normal.

This is the issue im facing. How do I install this kext?

If you run Ridgeline's post-installer and select the generic DSDT, you are using a "proper" DSDT for your system. I don't think I use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext but I'll check when I get home.

So if I understand you right, you can boot from the USB HDD and use myHack to startup from your SATA HDD. But if you boot directly from the SATA HDD you get a kernal panic? Is that right?

I can confirm that rev 1.1 of the MB and F6 of the BIOS should work with Ridgeline's post-installer.

I am at home now and can confirm that I don't have NullCPUPowerManagement installed. The only extensions I have are: fakesmc, legacy888bHDA, LegacyHDA, and NVEnabler 64.

If you run Ridgeline's post-installer and select the generic DSDT, you are using a "proper" DSDT for your system. I don't think I use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext but I'll check when I get home.

So if I understand you right, you can boot from the USB HDD and use myHack to startup from your SATA HDD. But if you boot directly from the SATA HDD you get a kernal panic? Is that right?

I can confirm that rev 1.1 of the MB and F6 of the BIOS should work with Ridgeline's post-installer.

I am at home now and can confirm that I don't have NullCPUPowerManagement installed. The only extensions I have are: fakesmc, legacy888bHDA, LegacyHDA, and NVEnabler 64.

As soon as I use ridgeline's install it gameover, it kernal panics.

Prior to using his install I have to use the USB drive to boot, as there is n bootloader to launch it before ridgeline.

ok, I'm working! But no sound :(

I used the myhack method to install, then installed myhac onto my SATA HDD, installed ridgeline's DSDT for the E6500 and it's ok, but no audio after installing your driver on 10.6.4. Paid a visit on tonymac forum and some guy has the same issue as me and he said audio is borked in 10.6.4 but it works in 10.6.3

So is there a fix for 10.6.4 or do I format again and don't upgrade to 10.6.4 or I suppose I could buy a usb sound card cheap?

ok, I'm working! But no sound :thumbsup_anim:

I used the myhack method to install, then installed myhac onto my SATA HDD, installed ridgeline's DSDT for the E6500 and it's ok, but no audio after installing your driver on 10.6.4. Paid a visit on tonymac forum and some guy has the same issue as me and he said audio is borked in 10.6.4 but it works in 10.6.3

So is there a fix for 10.6.4 or do I format again and don't upgrade to 10.6.4 or I suppose I could buy a usb sound card cheap?

Did you run ridgeline's 10.6.2 AppleHDA.pkg available from his site? That fixed sound for me.