[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

H50 glad to hear the fresh install worked. I do not have the screen res changing issue you mentioned are you using a PCI Express? Also what connection are you using VGA or DVI. I use DVI and have no worries.

angben,

Thanks to a previous post from H50 I have your compiled DSDT. Give it a shot and let me know if there are any issues.

E6300_DSDT.zip

H50 glad to hear the fresh install worked. I do not have the screen res changing issue you mentioned are you using a PCI Express? Also what connection are you using VGA or DVI. I use DVI and have no worries.

angben,

Thanks to a previous post from H50 I have your compiled DSDT. Give it a shot and let me know if there are any issues.

Ridgeline:

I was using the VGA port. I switched it to the DVI port and everything is working perfectly now. Who would have guessed the VGA port would act differently than the DVI port? Thanks for diagnosing the problem for me.

On a different topic, I uploaded the pstates for a q8400 on page 15. Any chance you could make a DSDT with it. That is the machine I would like to use for myself.

Thanks,

h50

Ridgeline:

I was using the VGA port. I switched it to the DVI port and everything is working perfectly now. Who would have guessed the VGA port would act differently than the DVI port? Thanks for diagnosing the problem for me.

On a different topic, I uploaded the pstates for a q8400 on page 15. Any chance you could make a DSDT with it. That is the machine I would like to use for myself.

Thanks,

h50

You be surprised how fickle these video drivers and etc can be about the connectors used. I think my major problems lies with the fact that I have to use a DVI2VGA adapter for my monitor... but I can't justify buying a new monitor yet so I'll have to deal with it. (FYI: I use ATI so it's not completely related, but just sayin...)

Following this mini guide and using the following components and install method I currently have 10.6.3 running stable

My parts list for the project is;

G41M-ES2l Motherboard rev 1.0

E5300 cpu 2.60 Ghz

4Gb Corsair 800Mhz DDR2

Arctic pro7 fan

PNY 8400GS GFX (pc world)

Seagate 500Gb Sata Hdd

Pioneer dvd drive Sata

Apple Aluminium wired keyboard (amazon) -(cheap £4 asda keyboard used for initial set-up)

All parts were sourced from eBuyer apart from where listed which may help any UK hackingtosh builders

Install method used;

Empire EFI boot disc

Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail disc

G41M-ES2l installer from www.kexts.com website.

I did the install as per instructions given in this mini guide including the 10.6.2 HDA kext installation.

Up to now everything seems to be working fine including sleep.

I have tried overclocking to 4.00Ghz but started to lose stability. However at 3.75Ghz all now seems to be stable with the Clock multiplier set at 12.5 x 300 , graphics at 100 , Vcore 1.4v and everything else set to auto. Temperatures rarely get over 45c

Geekbench results are around 4460 mark which is similar to the current dual core imacs.

Initially there were a few KP's but everything settled down after the 3rd reboot

I have added a generic usb bluetooth dongle (Tevion) which is working without any extra kext .

My question is however: Does anyone know of any bench/stress testing software for mac other than geekbench or cinebench? Xbench seems somewhat dated.

angben no I will be doing that probably Monday as I am tied up today with the family, I will have free time tomorrow and I will be testing everything as I go. All you have to do is uzip the file I posted and drag and drop it into the /extras folder

Following this mini guide and using the following components and install method I currently have 10.6.3 running stable

My parts list for the project is;

G41M-ES2l Motherboard rev 1.0

E5300 cpu 2.60 Ghz

4Gb Corsair 800Mhz DDR2

Arctic pro7 fan

PNY 8400GS GFX (pc world)

Seagate 500Gb Sata Hdd

Pioneer dvd drive Sata

Apple Aluminium wired keyboard (amazon) -(cheap £4 asda keyboard used for initial set-up)

All parts were sourced from eBuyer apart from where listed which may help any UK hackingtosh builders

Install method used;

Empire EFI boot disc

Snow Leopard 10.6.3 retail disc

G41M-ES2l installer from www.kexts.com website.

I did the install as per instructions given in this mini guide including the 10.6.2 HDA kext installation.

Up to now everything seems to be working fine including sleep.

I have tried overclocking to 4.00Ghz but started to lose stability. However at 3.75Ghz all now seems to be stable with the Clock multiplier set at 12.5 x 300 , graphics at 100 , Vcore 1.4v and everything else set to auto. Temperatures rarely get over 45c

Geekbench results are around 4460 mark which is similar to the current dual core imacs.

Initially there were a few KP's but everything settled down after the 3rd reboot

I have added a generic usb bluetooth dongle (Tevion) which is working without any extra kext .

My question is however: Does anyone know of any bench/stress testing software for mac other than geekbench or cinebench? Xbench seems somewhat dated.

I am glad you got everything working. I just wanted to let you know that you are probably using a lot of unnecessary files. I looked at the linked file you mentioned on kexts.com and I am only using 2 files. not all the ones they have listed not to mention my cpu runs cooler with the same type of score because I have a processor specific dsdt as the one they offer in the folder you mention is generic. but if you are happy with your current setup thats good. not to mention updating will be more problematic for you in the future with all the extra files.

You be surprised how fickle these video drivers and etc can be about the connectors used. I think my major problems lies with the fact that I have to use a DVI2VGA adapter for my monitor... but I can't justify buying a new monitor yet so I'll have to deal with it. (FYI: I use ATI so it's not completely related, but just sayin...)

You're not kidding. Just to find out how sensitive, I tried a few other cards with Ridgeline's v1.4 install. Here's what I found:

PNY 9400 - works but needs EFI string in com.boot.apple.plist

MSI 9500 - works without anything extra

ASUS 8400 GS - works without anything extra

Gigabyte 8400 GS - works without anything extra

EVGA 210 - Haven't gotten it to work.

You're not kidding. Just to find out how sensitive, I tried a few other cards with Ridgeline's v1.4 install. Here's what I found:

PNY 9400 - works but needs EFI string in com.boot.apple.plist

MSI 9500 - works without anything extra

ASUS 8400 GS - works without anything extra

Gigabyte 8400 GS - works without anything extra

EVGA 210 - Haven't gotten it to work.

Yeah it is always a good idea to check the HCL wiki for osx86 before making any purchases. luckily the only thing our boards won't support is video, however I have heard rumors of the 4500 getting res change but it still will not have hardware support so sleep and other apps still will not work properly

Yeah it is always a good idea to check the HCL wiki for osx86 before making any purchases. luckily the only thing our boards won't support is video, however I have heard rumors of the 4500 getting res change but it still will not have hardware support so sleep and other apps still will not work properly

Ridgeline,

This has been a real education. Seems that compatibility is improved with the 8400 and 9500 series Nividia chips. I'm surprised that the 9400 wasn't more compatible. Even with the 8400 and 9500, compatibility is further improved with the DVI connector vs the VGA one.

I think I can get two more systems completely working with DSDTs for an e6300 and a q8400. I'll take a look at what you do to customize them. Maybe I can do it.

h50

H50,

I already posted the E6300 I will get the q for you shortly

Here is the Q8400 Sorry I thought I had already done this but could not find it. Let me know how it works out.

Thank you Ridgeline. The Q8400 DSDT puts the computer to sleep, but the power comsumption doesn't seem to go down as much as when I sleep the computer manually from the pull down menu.

Does autosleep put the computer in a different state than manual sleep?

I also noticed that the DVD drive lights up every few minutes in autosleep. It's not enough to wake the monitor, but maybe its enough to keep the power usage high.

I found a couple of threads discussing this problem.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=187674

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t198828.html

I can verify that autosleep will work with an LG DVD and Ridgeline's DSDT as long as you keep a DVD in the drive! With the DVD in the drive, the computer first turns off the monitor, but power usage only drops from 80 watts to about 65 watts. After about 5 minutes, the power lights on the computer turn off, and it appears to be in the same state as manual sleep with power usage dropping to about 5 watts.

I've now tried the following DVD drives with the following results:

Philips-Lite-On DVD A DH16A1L: Just plain works

Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7240S: Just plain works

Asus-DRW-24B1ST: Sleeps with DVD in the drive

LG GH22NS50: Sleeps with DVD in the drive

Could others who have autosleep working post what brand and model DVD drive they are using?

Thanks,

h50

I am sorry my installers in the past were sloppy I just did a fresh install and realized there are a lot of improvements that need to be made. I will be working on this today and tomorrow.

Hawaii50 thanks for tracking that down interesting what can cause sleep to work perfect never had that problem personally I have done this build 2 times both of which worked great the first was a TEAC DVD-RW drive and now a Pioneer. I will post exact model numbers a little later but both worked perfect no issues and I did not need to leave the disc in I wonder if that is Cybercap's problem.

I am sorry my installers in the past were sloppy I just did a fresh install and realized there are a lot of improvements that need to be made. I will be working on this today and tomorrow.

Hawaii50 thanks for tracking that down interesting what can cause sleep to work perfect never had that problem personally I have done this build 2 times both of which worked great the first was a TEAC DVD-RW drive and now a Pioneer. I will post exact model numbers a little later but both worked perfect no issues and I did not need to leave the disc in I wonder if that is Cybercap's problem.

Ridgeline,

You have nothing to apologize for. I for one am grateful for your efforts. I am glad to be able to contribute in a small way to making our board work better for all of us.

As for the DVD issue, looks like Masterchief figured out how to patch a DSDT for an Asus motherboard so his Samsung DVD would not prevent his hack from sleeping. So there may be two directions to go to address this issue. One way is to make a list of DVD drives that are known to work. The other is to try to adapt Masterchief's solution to our DSDT.

Cybercap,

Try putting a DVD in your drive and see if the computer goes to sleep.

h50

Ridgeline,

You have nothing to apologize for. I for one am grateful for your efforts. I am glad to be able to contribute in a small way to making our board work better for all of us.

As for the DVD issue, looks like Masterchief figured out how to patch a DSDT for an Asus motherboard so his Samsung DVD would not prevent his hack from sleeping. So there may be two directions to go to address this issue. One way is to make a list of DVD drives that are known to work. The other is to try to adapt Masterchief's solution to our DSDT.

Cybercap,

Try putting a DVD in your drive and see if the computer goes to sleep.

h50

H50 you got a link you could post to that thread I would be happy to take a look and try it I just hope it does not have an adverse effeect on those that don't need the DVD in currently.

I have been reall busy with work which is why the installer is taking a little longer than expected but I am working on it. I noticed yesterday that the theme on my nstaller for chameleon does not install correctly don't know what I was thnking there. But no fear I will be working on this and adding other things to the next one. I will keep you posted.

H50 you got a link you could post to that thread I would be happy to take a look and try it I just hope it does not have an adverse effeect on those that don't need the DVD in currently.

I have been reall busy with work which is why the installer is taking a little longer than expected but I am working on it. I noticed yesterday that the theme on my nstaller for chameleon does not install correctly don't know what I was thnking there. But no fear I will be working on this and adding other things to the next one. I will keep you posted.

Ridgeline:

The post by Master Chief describing his solution is here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1294615

He describes the problem here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t198828.html

I have DVD drives that work and also ones that prevent the hac from sleeping so I can test a modified DSDT works for both types of drives.

Thanks for looking at this!

h50

I will be buying a sata dvd drive this week I just realised after looking through the articles mentioned above that it is more likely related to sata not ide. Both builds had Sata HDD and IDE DVD drives on my end so this probably has not been a problem for that reason. So certain drives will just work and others will need a patched dsdt. If I can determine that patching this dsdt will not affect those who need it I will simply add it to all dsdt files. I will take up on the testing H50 and please tell me which processor you are using for both and make sure as MC mentioned that you have the DVD plugged into sata port 3 on your board.

Once I know your processor setup on both testing systems I will make the dsdt mods.

I will be buying a sata dvd drive this week I just realised after looking through the articles mentioned above that it is more likely related to sata not ide. Both builds had Sata HDD and IDE DVD drives on my end so this probably has not been a problem for that reason. So certain drives will just work and others will need a patched dsdt. If I can determine that patching this dsdt will not affect those who need it I will simply add it to all dsdt files. I will take up on the testing H50 and please tell me which processor you are using for both and make sure as MC mentioned that you have the DVD plugged into sata port 3 on your board.

Once I know your processor setup on both testing systems I will make the dsdt mods.

Ridgeline:

I am happy to help with the testing. I'll be using a computer with a q8400 processor and a nvidia 9500 graphics card. I have tried a couple of IDE DVD drives and have the same problem as with the SATA ones. So far, I've only found two SATA DVD drives that work: Sony and Lite On/Phillips.

I tried the IDE DVD because I wanted to free up the SATA port for another HD but ended up putting the working SATA DVD back.

h50

Ridgeline:

I am happy to help with the testing. I'll be using a computer with a q8400 processor and a nvidia 9500 graphics card. I have tried a couple of IDE DVD drives and have the same problem as with the SATA ones. So far, I've only found two SATA DVD drives that work: Sony and Lite On/Phillips.

I tried the IDE DVD because I wanted to free up the SATA port for another HD but ended up putting the working SATA DVD back.

h50

I have a new ASUS DVD burner coming from newegg I will probably wait until then to really get into this as I want to test a few things personally first. I will keep you posted I will probably postpone the new installer until then as well so I am not making it with the dsdt missing elements for improved sleep

I have a new ASUS DVD burner coming from newegg I will probably wait until then to really get into this as I want to test a few things personally first. I will keep you posted I will probably postpone the new installer until then as well so I am not making it with the dsdt missing elements for improved sleep

I did a reinstall last night of OS X, and I tried just about every single kext extension for sound I could and none of them worked. I finally did a fresh install again and the first one I installed worked fine. It was the most recent AppleHDA.kext I had. I just thought I would share this info for all the other people that use this motherboard. I'm attaching it to this post so you may want to use this kext for the next install.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

did you update to 10.6.3 and lose sound? or did it not work from the start also I would like to mention I am modifying the dsdts and legacyhda for the new installer so you do not have to go to system preferences and select the output settings everything should work from the jump.

I updated to 10.6.3 (as the guide implies) before using your installer, which could be why it didn't work. I also had to boot back up into safe mode after installing the update. However after running the installer and selecting the legacy sound it still didn't work. Only after I put in that kext did it work for me.

Yeah the problem is the AppleHDA my installer works great the only problem is if you install everything and then update you have to re-install the 10.6.2 or earlier AppleHDA if you use a hacked version it still breaks on updates. I posted a installer that was written by TonyMac earlier in this thread that is a simple installer that re installs the needed applehda after you update to 10.6.3 We are working on this but at this time the problem is if you modify an apple file at the next update you are back to scratching your head.

Well on a different note once my new DVD drives arrive and I can test what H50 found out, I will be finalizing the installer. At this time, I have it working flawlessly for myself but I will need to modify all the dsdt files that I have for all the different processors you guys have posted and then add them as selections, should not take too long just want to make all dsdt changes at once and not be constantly updating things.

I would like to say that the way the new installer is looking like it should be a lot less confusing and not as many choices so less chance of messing something up, the other things will be installed you only need to select the items that are preference or accessory specific. Chameleon and all will still be there and installed I just took away the ability to disable it.

Audio works right away now with no need to alter anything under settings after install with more of the ports working correctly as well.

Oh yeah and the theme installs correctly now so you should all get nice new bootloader menus

I understand, was just trying to provide some feedback, I won't ever question your authority on the matter though.

I look forward to the new installer, however, I hope I won't need it again for a while. :-)