[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

Is anyone getting giabit speeds using the motherboard's NIC?

I'm able to get nice speeds (~750 mbps) when booted into Windows, but booted into Mac I get ~100 mbps (read and write) - peak 9.6 MB/s. This is in sending files to SMB shares on my LAN.

I put in the Rosewill network card I purchased originally and my speeds are up to 185/write (peak 30 MB/s) and 300/read (peak 60 MB/s).

EDIT:

Found this post. You have to change your network settings manually to 1000 & full duplex. After that I get full gigabit speeds :rolleyes:

Is anyone getting giabit speeds using the motherboard's NIC?

I'm able to get nice speeds (~750 mbps) when booted into Windows, but booted into Mac I get ~100 mbps (read and write) - peak 9.6 MB/s. This is in sending files to SMB shares on my LAN.

I put in the Rosewill network card I purchased originally and my speeds are up to 185/write (peak 30 MB/s) and 300/read (peak 60 MB/s).

I'll let you know once I get mine up and running. I know that on my iMac I never got gigabit speeds between it and my PS3, even though the router recognized them both as having the right hardware. OS X or the hardware seems to bottleneck it for some reason. That is one thing I really hope changes with this mobo.

I'll let you know once I get mine up and running. I know that on my iMac I never got gigabit speeds between it and my PS3, even though the router recognized them both as having the right hardware. OS X or the hardware seems to bottleneck it for some reason. That is one thing I really hope changes with this mobo.
I see things like this all the time in various online forums with real Mac's as well. I don't know what it is, but it seems the somewhere along the network stack, OS 10 just can't quite keep up. I'd guess, going by these posts, that it's due to drivers.

I have to wonder what kind of throughput one would get if one was to install a PCIe gig card, one using a nice Intel chip. According to the system profiler, the onboard chip is on the PCIe bus, so a non-cheapo chip might work even better.

ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller

Driver Installed: Yes

Bus: PCI

Slot: Slot-2

Vendor ID: 0x10ec

Device ID: 0x8168

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1458

Subsystem ID: 0xe000

Revision ID: 0x0002

Link Width: x1

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

Of course, the bottleneck might be somewhere else in the network, but I think it would be an interesting experiment. Now to find out which chips are supported out of the box... :)

Just a little FYI. I spent the entire afternoon trying to install via a USB DVD Drive.

Yeah it doesn't work. I went to Wal-mart after work tonight, paid $30 for a {censored} DVD drive, and it booted right into it first try.

Something to keep in mind. :-)

Ridgline:

Just got my rig up and running last night.

Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 Ghz

PSTATES: (7 total)

post-549451-1273862945_thumb.png

post-549451-1273862952_thumb.png

I am also not very sure what to do with the DSDT file once I have it? Is there a certain way to install it.

Thanks a ton!

Wow sorry I have not been on in awhile I will be working on dsdts for those that have given me the info today and have something up shortly. as far as the network have you check the settings under system preferences?

network.jpg

Wow, it's been a while since I posted anything, not since the Jas installer days on my Pentium M lapdog. :)

Ridgeline, I want to thank you for all the work you have done so far. Getting a tweaked DSDT like you have generously provided is something that is not easy work, and it's amazing how well it does work.

However, I will chime in with the problem running the 1.6 post install package stating there is no software found to install when customizing it for my particular setup (32-bit at the moment, no extra network driver, E7500 DSDT).

I have a fresh install of 10.6.3 from a retail DVD (picked it up myself) on a freshly formatted drive. As I have a working install now from the first page of this thread, I'm going to wait for the next version of the installer and use that. I'm not in any rush, and if I can help with testing anything, let me know, I'm glad to help (after all, I've got nothing to loose if I break something on the new drive :wacko:).

Can you be a little more specific in the problem what network driver are you wanting to install? and why are you only running 32 bit just curious?

Ridgline:

Just got my rig up and running last night.

Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 Ghz

PSTATES: (7 total)

post-549451-1273862945_thumb.png

post-549451-1273862952_thumb.png

I am also not very sure what to do with the DSDT file once I have it? Is there a certain way to install it.

Thanks a ton!

I will have your dsdt done shortly and you will simply drag and drop it into the extras folder once you unzip it. if it asks to replace click yes

Here is your E8500 DSDT

I will be working on creating a new installer today at some point that will have all of the dsdt files I have to date and to eliminate the errors everyone has been receiving since the 1.5 installer. I am not sure where the problem lies but I will be working on it today and if anyone here has anything specifically that they would like added please let me know. I would like to have this done and released before the week is out with as much info as possible

e8500_DSDT.zip

Thanks homie, works great from what I can tell. I haven't tried sleep yet but I'm assuming it has enabled that. My processor seems to be running a little cooler too. I'm not really sure what else to look for though heh.

Also I manually set my network settings to gigabyte a couple days ago. I have noticed torrents I get download much faster than they did on my iMac. But other than that I can't tell much of a difference. It does feel faster though so I'm assuming the problem is the way OS X works with Apple's hardware. I vaguely remember not being able to manually set it to gigabit either, and if I did it wouldn't make a connection.

no big deal just make sure under your energy savings in system preferences you have reboot on power failure enabled and you should be good to go You actually have 8 pstates. :D

Yeah I thought about that after I made the post. I always forget to count 0 heh.

Can you be a little more specific in the problem what network driver are you wanting to install? and why are you only running 32 bit just curious?
Why 32-bit? At this time, I only have a 7600 GT in the system, and from what I understand, the 64-bit driver is buggy and will cause a KP, so I stick with the 32 for now until I can find a cheap enough :) 9600+ NVidia card.

As for the network driver, I was referring to the one that is in the installer vs the native driver. When I boot the new install using Chameleon, I dont' have any sound but the network interface is up and running as normal. So for the initial install, I was trying to use your 1.6 version of the installer and unchecked the realtek driver from the to-install list.

Ridgeline,

as you know my hac still has its sleep problems (won't go to sleep automatically), is it possible to deactivate the dsdt psstate setting as it seems to take over the bios ?

i would like to try and see what happens without cpu saving options on boot.

would the "absence" of dsdt cause other driver problems ?

Ridgeline,

as you know my hac still has its sleep problems (won't go to sleep automatically), is it possible to deactivate the dsdt psstate setting as it seems to take over the bios ?

i would like to try and see what happens without cpu saving options on boot.

would the "absence" of dsdt cause other driver problems ?

You really need to keep the dsdt however I can take out the pstates for you and then you can try whatever you would like and the rest should remain okay. let me know if you want that

Why 32-bit? At this time, I only have a 7600 GT in the system, and from what I understand, the 64-bit driver is buggy and will cause a KP, so I stick with the 32 for now until I can find a cheap enough :thumbsup_anim: 9600+ NVidia card.

As for the network driver, I was referring to the one that is in the installer vs the native driver. When I boot the new install using Chameleon, I dont' have any sound but the network interface is up and running as normal. So for the initial install, I was trying to use your 1.6 version of the installer and unchecked the realtek driver from the to-install list.

The reason you would want the network driver in the package is if you plan on file sharing or that sort of thing otherwise you could just work with the vanilla version. this does not replace anything it only adds working features and is not removed every time you update as it is not a hacked Apple file.

The audio on our boards worked with 10.6.2 however something broke the install in the 10.6.3 update I recommend reinstalling the AppleHDA from 10.6.2 and all is good again. I will be including that in the next package.

hi,

there is a dsts for e6300 processor??

I do not have the info on that processor yet. if you follow my guide i posted earlier to get me the needed info like some have posted I will build you what you need.

Ridgeline:

I used your installer v1.4 on a computer with a Q6600 and selected the Q6600 DSDT. I checked the box in the energy saver preferences for reboot after a power failure.

However, the machine will not sleep, even when I select sleep from the dropdown menu.

The specifics of the hardware:

G41M-ES2L

4 GB Corsair DDR2 PC 6400

Q6600

Asus dvd drive

250 gb hitachi notebook HD

No graphics card for now. Just using VESA resolution from on board 4500 graphics.

Does anything jump out at you as the source of the problem?

Thanks,

h50

I do not have the info on that processor yet. if you follow my guide i posted earlier to get me the needed info like some have posted I will build you what you need.

Ridgeline:

If you are still looking for the pstates for an e6300, I posted them on page 15 of this thread.

h50

hawaii50

I have the same sleep problem ! also got a Q6600 with its dsdt. the cpu energy saving (psstates) works but the Hac won't go to sleep (only the monitor does)

however I am able here to put it to sleep manually, but automatically i'm unsuccessful

hawaii50

I have the same sleep problem ! also got a Q6600 with its dsdt. the cpu energy saving (psstates) works but the Hac won't go to sleep (only the monitor does)

however I am able here to put it to sleep manually, but automatically i'm unsuccessful

Cybercap:

Sounds like you are doing better than me. I can't get the computer to sleep even manually. What version of Ridgeline's installer did you use? I used v1.4.

h50

How did you get the graphics card recognized? Did you edit com.apple.boot.plist? Or, was it recognized without any editing after installing Ridgeline's v1.4.

h50

my graphic card was easily recognized, it is one of the most compatible , a nvidia 9500GT.

i was good to go straight after the installer

my graphic card was easily recognized, it is one of the most compatible , a nvidia 9500GT.

i was good to go straight after the installer

I have an nvidia 8400 GS and when I try to change resolutions I get a blue screen and the computer freezes up.

Did you do have to do anything after the installer to get your computer to sleep manually?

H50

hawaii50 you mentioned trying to use VESA with onboard that is why sleep is not working. I am not sure what all you changed or tried to install but I recommend a fresh install use the v1.4 installer and call it a day with the graphics enabler set to yes. I am running almost an identical setup to you except no quad core.. I am using the 8400gs with no issue what so ever but I will be upgrading soon.

The reason you would want the network driver in the package is if you plan on file sharing or that sort of thing otherwise you could just work with the vanilla version. this does not replace anything it only adds working features and is not removed every time you update as it is not a hacked Apple file.

The audio on our boards worked with 10.6.2 however something broke the install in the 10.6.3 update I recommend reinstalling the AppleHDA from 10.6.2 and all is good again. I will be including that in the next package.

I know why the drivers and such are there, I was just relaying why I unchecked it. :D

For giggles, I looked at the 10.6.0 and 10.6.3 kexts for AppleHDA. Under the plugins, there is another kext for HDA Platform Driver (or something close, I'm near at the machine right now) and the info.plist in that seems to be missing some chunks that the 10.6.0 had (as well as having more). I'm guessing somewhere in there is the cause of the breakage. That file is huge, so I didn't run a diff, I just looked at the files with the file merge program from the dev tools.

Ridgeline:

I see you are accumulating p-state screenshots for various CPUs. I've attached a screenshot for a Pentium Dual Core E6300.

h50

yes this is the same processor that i have... can you make a aml for this?

Ridgeline,

A fresh install fixed the sleeping issue.

I did not have the 8400 GS installed the first time I installed SL. When I did the fresh install last night, the graphics card was in and sleep now works.

The only problem I have now is that when I try to change screen resolutions, I get a blue screen and have to reboot. After the reboot, the screen is in the new screen resolution. Do you have the same issue?

Thanks,

h50

hawaii50

Have you tried PleaseSleep? It's helpful if your mac is staying awake, but otherwise sleep works (will go to sleep & wake manually, but not automatically).

It basically acts as a timer & if you haven't hit the mouse/keyboard in 15 minutes - or whatever time you have in your preferences - it forces it to sleep.

If that doesn't help, I'd make sure you aren't placing your mouse on a surface that keeps the mouse alive. If the mouse stays active (for optical mice, the red optics stay on) then it's constantly giggling, and therefore could keep your system awake.